• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

This is going to be my last post for a while, so I want to ask about the paths. I am unsure which path to play next. I originally planned on downloading and playing Birthright, but I found out that Revelation is coming out this Thursday.

I just added a $20 eShop card to my funds, and I don't know whether I should get Birthright now or wait for Revelation. What do you guys, particularly Special Edition owners, suggest?

I've searched through this topic for impressions of Revelation, but I don't know if it compares favorably to Birthright or not.
if you're in it for story you should go birthright first.

Got to wave 11 doing incredibly well, only to miss that a club-wielder from the left had lunge and he swapped himself onto a green tile. I'm going to cry.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Starting Conquest, invite Felicia in the room for the first time since she was the only one and wow, I really like the models. I usually invited people I didn't really like on Birthright so I only really looked at Sakura before.

Starting Conquest, invite Felicia in the room for the first time since she was the only one and wow, I really like the models. I usually invited people I didn't really like on Birthright so I only really looked at Sakura before.

I think I'm even more impressed by the fact that they're actually 2D drawings, just manipulated with Live2D! (Was that right?) :p

Wouldn't it be nice if a future game could use Live2D full-time? :3

Halabane

This is going to be my last major post in this topic for a while, so I want to ask about the paths. I am unsure which path to play next. I originally planned on downloading and playing Birthright, but I found out that Revelation is coming out this Thursday.

I just added a $20 eShop card to my funds, and I don't know whether I should get Birthright now or wait for Revelation. What do you guys, particularly Special Edition owners, suggest?

I've searched through this topic for impressions of Revelation, but I don't know if it compares favorably to Birthright or not.

I have the CE. I would recommend first birthright, then conquest and conclude with revelation. Birthright will get you back in the swing of FE, conquest is hard but gives you the other side of the story from birthright and the then revelation is a combination of both of the other two stories so knowing all the characters, for me at least, is best.

Linkark07

Banned
Finished Birthright, started Conquest immediately.

I'm starting to understand why people like Conquest map design so much; so far I'm loving it. More challenging but also more enjoyable.

Conquest classes feel refreshingly familiar after all of the new classes you get to mess around with in Birthright. I loved almost all of the Japanese themed classes but it feels good to have a Knight, Fighter, and Dark Mage again.

So I noticed Odin's Mag growth rate is pretty weak for a Mage, should I use a Heart Seal and try him out as something else? Regardless I plan on making him a staple of my party, <3 Owain.

Finished up Chapter 9 last night so tonight it's on to the infamous Chapter 10. The hours just melt away when I'm playing these games, it's still mind-blowing to me that I have three full FE campaigns to play through.

Busaiku

Yeah, the Live2D in Birthright was awful.
Orochi was probably the worst.

Finished Birthright late last night. Kagero was the only one to hit 20/20 and she maxed most of her stats. Final boss underwhelming, beat map on second turn because I was not going to deal with level 18 promoted people.

Of course, I spent all my stat boosting items collected over the game getting my avatar and Kagero maxed or close to maxed stats.

Andrew J.

Axe Fighter's hit rates are tanked by the Gamble skill. My Charlotte got a lot better when I took it off her, and she still crits with reasonable frequency.

Man, I just can't get with using other players' skills to break the game like this. I don't hold it against anyone but it's just not for me.
I'm only annoyed when I picked up a couple skills that are technically impossible for my characters to acquire...like aptitude on Selena

If my Corrin was an archer, Charlotte couldve had certain blow anyway

I'm only annoyed when I picked up a couple skills that are technically impossible for my characters to acquire...like aptitude on Selena

If my Corrin was an archer, Charlotte couldve had certain blow anyway
Yeah I see where you're coming from. For me it's more about getting what I can during the course of my own playthrough. It might be possible to get any number of skills for a certain unit but each one requires an investment and some work.

Really for me it's not even about the "ethics" of it or whatever, it's more that I want to stay within the confines of the design as much as possible. I like having powerful units in FE but if they become too powerful the game really loses a lot of its appeal for me.

But you know, I'm the guy who avoided Galeforce in FE:A because it seemed broken so... :p

I've tried to limit myself to skills that a character can get normally, but I don't want to heart seal, grind and return to get. Sadly, the allure of some skills is too much, like Death Blow on Mozu with a Killer Bow and her stupidly high skill (70% crit chance basically always).

On the flip side, I've found making characters switch to normally unused classes can be fun, like making Nyx and Archer (A+ Mozu) and grabbing Quick Draw to boost her damage, while getting some levels in to balance her stats out a bit. Had I taken Wyvern Rider as my MC's trait, I would have sent her Malig Knight for better stat growth and Trample, which is pretty useful on the conquest side. I'm going to want to play around with class changing for stats balance some more.

Yeah I see where you're coming from. For me it's more about getting what I can during the course of my own playthrough. It might be possible to get any number of skills for a certain unit but each one requires an investment and some work.

Really for me it's not even about the "ethics" of it or whatever, it's more that I want to stay within the confines of the design as much as possible. I like having powerful units in FE but if they become too powerful the game really loses a lot of its appeal for me.

But you know, I'm the guy who avoided Galeforce in FE:A because it seemed broken so... :p
galeforce, despite its nerf, is still broken...I gave it to Corrin and Selena in conquest (2 ebon wings)
I've tried to limit myself to skills that a character can get normally, but I don't want to heart seal, grind and return to get. Sadly, the allure of some skills is too much, like Death Blow on Mozu with a Killer Bow and her stupidly high skill (70% crit chance basically always).

On the flip side, I've found making characters switch to normally unused classes can be fun, like making Nyx and Archer (A+ Mozu) and grabbing Quick Draw to boost her damage, while getting some levels in to balance her stats out a bit. Had I taken Wyvern Rider as my MC's trait, I would have sent her Malig Knight for better stat growth and Trample, which is pretty useful on the conquest side. I'm going to want to play around with class changing for stats balance some more.
I made Mozu best friends with Effie and turned her into a great knight. Good things happened from there

I made Mozu best friends with Effie and turned her into a great knight. Good things happened from there

I ended up making Peri my Great Knight, and Mozu is my only bow user right now. I just can't bring myself to have 2 of the same class on my team, which has been really hurting Silas since between Peri and Xander both of his classes as taken. May make him a bow knight...

Xena

Yes you can grind. The difficulty is higher than Birthright (more varied map objectives, tougher enemies maybe), but it's still easier than Conquest. I went from Conquest to Revelations and it seems a lot less difficult, even being on Lunatic.

Also it does allow casual mode on it.

Thanks for the clarification! I'll play Conquest when my brother is done with his copy so that we can exchange games. Will play Revelations meanwhile then.

Corrin (F) x Saizo :3

udT5cuE.png

Saizo is a big softie. Hes one of my faves in the game. Kagero was the better ninja though.

Fandangox

Doing chapter 12 of conquest, going really well, forgot there was a turn limit...

I fucked it up too, but not like that. I somehow confused the chapter number (12) with the number of turns I needed to complete this with when looking at the objective, so I rushed and did it in less than 12 turns, getting both chests, but missing the valuable Flame Shuriken.

Lunar15

It's funny: the plot in this game is terrible but I'm finding the support convos pretty enjoyable. The writing is just kind of all over the place, and I wonder if that has to do with localization or the fact that they brought in this new writer and he wasn't responsible for everything?

Either way, the fact that they talked up this new writer in the Iwata Asks only for this to have such a hilariously bad story is just funny.

It's funny: the plot in this game is terrible but I'm finding the support convos pretty enjoyable. The writing is just kind of all over the place, and I wonder if that has to do with localization or the fact that they brought in this new writer and he wasn't responsible for everything?

Either way, the fact that they talked up this new writer in the Iwata Asks only for this to have such a hilariously bad story is just funny.
[Minor early game spoilers]

Premise 1. Dad hates me and literally attempted to murder me
Premise 2. Killed my birth mother
Premise 3. Purposefully sent me on a suicide mission
Premise 4. Opposes ending the war peacefully which is my primary objective
Conclusion 1. Better do all I can to earn his love and support

#CorrinLogic

Kusagari

Of all the FE's I've played this story is probably the worst.

Which is hilarious considering how it was apparently such a focus this time.

Draxal

I honestly think Rev's plot was meant to be Conquest, and they split up the both of those and made both really bad. The source material was garbage, everybody who played the import said that it was just as bad as there. The game was probably even more bottom up designed than normal as well (bottom up ... means gameplay decisions come first over story decisions; especially on conquest's side).

Like I said earlier, part of the problem is that there's no narration in the 3ds games, thus relying way too much on exposition.

Amazing, they put Tharja back in this game lol.

I honestly wish Silas and his daughter were better. They started off so strong and now they're just kinda mediocre somehow. Either that or there's just a severe lack of HP growth in my teams overall.

I'm also finding Birthright somewhat difficult (not grinding anything but supports on bench characters though). Is my FE game too weak? =(

Narrative problems start with Garon. What an awful, stereotypical, boring villain he is. There is absolutely no nuance to his character, he's the most basic cardboard cutout of the pure evil big bad trope. I'll never understand why writers don't get this most basic principle, a story is far less interesting when you can't sympathize with the antagonist in any way whatsoever.

Lunar15

Narrative problems start with Garon. What an awful, stereotypical, boring villain he is. There is absolutely no nuance to his character, he's the most basic cardboard cutout of the pure evil big bad trope. I'll never understand why writers don't get this most basic principle, a story is far less interesting when you can't sympathize with the antagonist in any way whatsoever.

Which is crazy considering the whole idea of the game is that you can technically choose to side with him and figure out what he's up to. A nuanced villian in that situation could have been real awesome.

The concept of the plot isn't the worst, it's just that they have to make the characters pretty stupid in order for a lot of it to work. I hate when they do that.

That twist in the middle of conquest is kind of dumb. I mean it justifies why Corrin does bad things but its just a dumb and convenient plot device.

I don't hate the storyline but its not amazing either. I think 3 plotlines might have been too much for the writer. There are good stuff in both birthright and conquest, just wish they were together. Have yet to get to Revelation.

Fandangox

That twist in the middle of conquest is kind of dumb. I mean it justifies why Corrin does bad things but its just a dumb and convenient plot device.

I don't hate the storyline but its not amazing either. I think 3 plotlines might have been too much for the writer. There are good stuff in both birthright and conquest, just wish they were together. Have yet to get to Revelation.

You mean the one where
Azura shows Corrin's Garon's true form? Its the dumbest shit ever, didn't she seconds ago said that they could use Leo's magic to see the crystal ball too? So why waste it with Corrin there instead of getting all the siblings together and use it then? The justification for invading Hoshido for the throne stuff is super dumb.

well, people do think kefka is one of the best villains ever

Lunar15

I'm fine with villians that are evil for the sake of being evil, but that's often because they represent some force or challenge that affects the way our heroes view the world. The problem is that those stories don't often ask you to choose if you want to side with that clearly evil force.

I think there is a way to do that trope right. At some point the bad guy becomes so insane and just truly evil that they kind of flip back around to being interesting. Sort of like the Joker from Batman I suppose. Plus Kefka had that crazy visual design that was pretty cool. It taps into that same fascination we have with serial killers. Garon is more of the brooding stoic type of villain motivated by POWAAAH which I find less interesting.

I'm fine with villians that are evil for the sake of being evil, but that's often because they represent some force or challenge that affects the way our heroes view the world. The problem is that those stories don't often ask you to choose if you want to side with that clearly evil force.
Also this!

Claris

Beat Conquest Hard/Classic with everyone surviving last night. The final two chapters seemed to be a pretty large difficulty spike; the only child I bothered recruiting up to this point was Ophelia, so fortunately I could go do a couple more (Kana/Percy) to grind a bit and get two more promoted level 18 characters to help out.

Final chapter/boss spoilers:

Why the hell does his Dual Guard meter work differently than EVERYWHERE ELSE IN THE GAME? Corrin was going to double and do just enough to finish him off, except then haha screw you his Dual Guard meter goes up when you auto-block his Dual Strike!! Absolutely idiotic. Fortunately I was able to scrape something together with a couple other nearby units, having to hope he didn't use Vengeance and that I didn't miss an 85% hit.

Kana did die tanking some arrows, but thanks to Bifrost it technically doesn't count. Scary moment near the end where I purposefully put Percy in range of a magic user to distract it, just assuming he would survive... And he did, with 2 HP. Normally I pay attention more carefully than that, oops.

Rutger

Banned
The game was probably even more bottom up designed than normal as well (bottom up ... means gameplay decisions come first over story decisions; especially on conquest's side).

And I'm not even mad. The gameplay has been so good that I don't really care about how bad the story is.

Beat Conquest Hard/Classic with everyone surviving last night. The final two chapters seemed to be a pretty large difficulty spike; the only child I bothered recruiting up to this point was Ophelia, so fortunately I could go do a couple more (Kana/Percy) to grind a bit and get two more promoted level 18 characters to help out.

Final chapter/boss spoilers:

Why the hell does his Dual Guard meter work differently than EVERYWHERE ELSE IN THE GAME? Corrin was going to double and do just enough to finish him off, except then haha screw you his Dual Guard meter goes up when you auto-block his Dual Strike!! Absolutely idiotic. Fortunately I was able to scrape something together with a couple other nearby units, having to hope he didn't use Vengeance and that I didn't miss an 85% hit.

Kana did die tanking some arrows, but thanks to Bifrost it technically doesn't count. Scary moment near the end where I purposefully put Percy in range of a magic user to distract it, just assuming he would survive... And he did, with 2 HP. Normally I pay attention more carefully than that, oops.
Nicely done! How did it compare with Birthright for you, assuming you've played it?

Making it through with no deaths is super impressive, I usually give in a few times to avoid replaying a ~2 hour chapter.

And I'm not even mad. The gameplay has been so good that I don't really care about how bad the story is.
Totally. FE is a gameplay first series and I love it for that.

You mean the one where
Azura shows Corrin's Garon's true form? Its the dumbest shit ever, didn't she seconds ago said that they could use Leo's magic to see the crystal ball too? So why waste it with Corrin there instead of getting all the siblings together and use it then? The justification for invading Hoshido for the throne stuff is super dumb.

Yup. Its so stupid lol.
I figured maybe the throne will help weaken him or something but even then its just a ridiculous premise.

Definitely. Everything besides the story has been top tier. Maybe theyre saving an amazing story for the next console Fire Emblem :p

JulianImp

Yup. Garon's just the most boring evil mastermind I've seen in ages, and while I originally planned to start with Conquest I quickly decided to side with Hoshido because seriously, the guy had just sent Corrin to suicide-bomb his birth mother, and Garon got the best possible outcome by having her decide to give her life to protect Corrin. I had no hard feelings towards Corrin's Nohr siblings, but it was obvious as hell that Garon was just evil incarnate.

If a game gives me two factions to choose from, I would've liked it if there was something that would redeem Nohr or at least portray it in a more nuanced way than "power-hungry king uses family as disposable pawns". I'm only getting started with both sides (ch11 on both), but it's like everybody's a good person (or a goofy murderous psychopath) except for Garon and his henchmen, who are evil incarnate.

Mechanics-wise, I like that reclassing no longer forces you to go back to level one, and that the game awards you the new class' abilities as soon as you level up once if you're already over the skill's required level. That's going to make training Mozume as an archer way easier, since I'll just have to wait two levels for her to get both archer skills before I upgrade her to being a sniper.

Oh, and I still can't get enough of Harold's "victory pose!" line that sometimes plays after he defeats an enemy unit. I really like hammy characters such as him as long as they're used in moderation (although I guess a game set in a world of ham would be fun as well).

PK Gaming

Conquest's plot is irredeemably bad. It's like a parody of Birthright, straight up.

At least the map design is amazing.

Venom Corrin: Azura, i'm already a demon

Pau

Trying to figure out who to pair up in Birthright. Not too concerned with getting the best pairs possible, but are there any that I should definitely stay away from for the kids' sakes?

Claris

Nicely done! How did it compare with Birthright for you, assuming you've played it?
I actually played through both of them at the same time, alternating after doing a couple of chapters in each. Birthright was fun, but I feel they went too far in making it "simpler", such as generic enemies having no skills and not even reaching Level 20 by the end.
And the absolute joke that is Birthright 26, it's hard to believe it and Conquest 25 were made by the same people.
I almost regret playing Birthright on Hard instead of Lunatic, but at least that gives me a reason to replay it.

Looking forward to Revelation on Thursday. I've decided to play it on Lunatic, though I've heard the difficulty is very front-loaded so hopefully I don't regret that choice (I refuse to reduce it mid-game). It'll also be nice to get into the My Castle stuff, I haven't bothered too much with it since it seems pointless to invest in it outside of the third path.

I got stuck on Birthright Chapter 15 so I decided to take a break and play Conquest and now I'm on Chapter 18 of Conquest. I think I like the Conquest characters much better than Birthright, to the point that I'm unsure if I even want to go back (although I do miss my Hana/Hinata dream team). The only character I'm disappointed in is Odin AKA Discount Owain.

Currently my Effie and Elise are both beasts - as soon as I upgraded Elise to a Strategist she became a one-woman wrecking ball, especially with Kaze as her main support. Effie with Silas support tanks everything. Niles, Felicia, and Camilla are also my staples - my biggest regret was pairing Felicia with Arthur so early. Should have saved her S support for Keaton who is a baller since I don't use Arthur at all now and his kid is meh. Also Laslow/Peri/Soliel is the best father/mother/kid trio so far. My Soleil is going to murder the competition now.

I'm wondering if I should bother with getting all the kids in B/C or just wait for the Revelations playthrough to be completionist in that way. Can you get every character from both games in Revelations? Or is it only certain ones?

Something kind of interesting I've found about the stofy is that it's kind of like a visual novel. While the game only gives you once choice, only playing one route leaves out a lot of key information and you can only really follow this weird larger narrative by playing all three routes.

I mean the story is still ass lol, but it's interesting to me I also like the characters a lot so that helps.

Azuran

Banned
Conquest Chapter 10 complete. That was without a doubt the hardest mission I have ever played in a Fire Emblem game. The MVP was everyone in my army for not getting themselves killed.

Finished Conquest, trying to finish Paper Jam before going through Birthright. I just assumed both of these paths would be fairly weak story wise and that Revelations would be better. I liked Conquest's story well enough but yeah, Garon is a pretty weak villain.

Conquest Chapter 10 complete. That was without a doubt the hardest mission I have ever played in a Fire Emblem game. The MVP was everyone in my army for not getting themselves killed.

As soon as
Takumi drained the water and Ninjas and axe dudes started pouring in, my heart sank and my palms started to rain sweat
. I had anxiety until I saw the chapter complete screen. Loved it.

Dimmle

Can someone describe Silas's personality? I'm trying to remember but the only thing that comes through the fog is a faint scent of fresh linen.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Can someone describe Silas's personality? I'm trying to remember but the only thing that comes through the fog is a faint scent of fresh linen.

His personality is that he's forgettable.

Literally. He says he was Corrin's friend and he's devoted to them but Corrin's like "who the hell are you again?"

Top Bottom