• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

I never understood the FE 7 disguise joke, cameras and other stuff doesn't exist back then, so the only way to know what they look like is by paintings or being told how they look like.

The hoods hides their faces and armor so they won't be given away.

Can I get some tips for conquest 10 hard?

Right now I have silas and Odin on the turret handling the left side, Beruka and Selena handling the archers on the right and everyone else in the middle, Felicia+Corrin and on the left side of the wall to aggro the ninjas and Effie+Arthur tanking the right. My first try I got to wave 10 before Silas and Odin died and now I cant make it past wave 7 before someone gets got.

Draxal

I never understood the FE 7 disguise joke, cameras and other stuff doesn't exist back then, so the only way to know what they look like is by paintings or being told how they look like.

The hoods hides their faces and armor so they won't be given away.

Well, if you wearing hoods, you're making it more obvious that your trying to obscure your identity. It's honestly more of a joke about FE7's limited ... capability in representing the situation more than anything else.

Fandangox

Holy fuck, game, you gotta be kidding me about the intro to Conquest Chapter 14.

"Oh hai Azura, did you see that singer that had your exact same blue hair and sung similarly to you?" "nope lol"

I am fucking done paying attention to this story.

Didn't Corrin also had a front-row seat.

how the fuck does that happen

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Conquest's story can get very silly at times, but
monster Garon was a cooler final boss than regular Garon. Likewise for the final final boss. Zombie Takumi? Hell yes.

CazTGG

Well, if you wearing hoods, you're making it more obvious that your trying to obscure your identity. It's honestly more of a joke about FE7's limited ... capability in representing the situation more than anything else.

There's at least one class that has their head covered up with a cloak (Shaman) throughout all three GBA games, not counting individual characters that wear something to conceal their face. Wearing something to cover up one's head is a regular thing in the Fire Emblem universe...though that might explain why dark magic is so inaccurate come to think of it.

Xenoflare

I kinda wish
Takumi
turned into a
Dawn Dragon
or something to be showy (and Parallel to Hoshido's final boss), even if it wouldn't entirely make sense? lol

Takumi should have been the penultimate boss instead of the final one, it just feels so anticlimactic when the final boss is a possessed character.

I like the idea of the
Dawn Dragon
I could have wished the story would dived deeper, or simply that
IDK, something stupid like Hoshido summoned the Dawn Dragon but is instantly taken over by Anankos

Say isn't
the Dusk and Dawn Dragon just various facets of Anankos?

Do any of the other kids' paralogues have the same problem as Shiro's? That enemies can get too strong and make the mission a rush to get to the kid before they die.
Trying to decide when's a good time to do the remaining ones. I'm playing Revelation.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Do any of the other kids' paralogues have the same problem as Shiro's? That enemies can get too strong and make the mission a rush to get to the kid before they die.
Trying to decide when's a good time to do the remaining ones. I'm playing Revelation.
Ignatius.

GamerSoul

Yea I totally screwed myself with that one.. I can't wait to finish up Birthright's main chapters so I can start the real struggle with Conquest.

Anteo

Eh, at least Eliwood, Lyn and Hector's disguises had hoods to cover up their faces.
Azura literally just swapped the color of her dress (where did she get that exactly?) and added a tiny piece covering up her mouth. Cover up your blue hair, how does no one recognize it's you, especially when your ability is known in the army as "the singer"?!

Great song and gorgeous cutscene, but still, what the heck were the writers thinking with how they handled that scene?

It is stupid, but she is not the only character with blue hair and the dancers are super far away. that is not even the worst part about the story so... Wait, I think this is just before the
other world
bullshit. That one is so stupid..

Man now that I've beaten Birthright, I'm having a hard time getting myself to start Conquest. I've just grown so attached to the Hoshidans, and I can only imagine how awful it will feel my former comrades...
What happens to the Nohr family at the end of Birthright still brings a tear to my eyes.

Can I get some tips for conquest 10 hard?

Right now I have silas and Odin on the turret handling the left side, Beruka and Selena handling the archers on the right and everyone else in the middle, Felicia+Corrin and on the left side of the wall to aggro the ninjas and Effie+Arthur tanking the right. My first try I got to wave 10 before Silas and Odin died and now I cant make it past wave 7 before someone gets got.

The way I did it was Promoted Corrin using Dragonstone tanking the left side with some healing items, Silas with a attack tonic + mozu dealing with the right side Archers, and everyone else up the middle. The key is to actually try to kill all the enemies rather then just holding out, because if you're just holding chokes you're going to get overwhelmed when Takumi dries up the canals. Camilla is really OP in this fight provided you just avoid the archers (Same could be said for most missions though) so just throw her in the middle of a group of enemies that don't have def shred and she'll kill them all. Beruka I had help out Corrin since they really start throwing a ton of guys on the sides as the mission goes on. Aside from that just use the mounted weapons to soften the enemies up then use double attacks to finish them off. As long as the Ninjas and seal defense dudes don't attack you they don't lower your stats so just avoid them from doing that. And just rotate your dudes around as you see fit when things start getting hectic. Try to avoid pairing up imo since you need the second attacks to finish off the enemies and maximize your killing potential.

Keep in mind this is the strat I used on Hard. Your mileage on other difficulties may vary. Also don't forget the Tonics that buff your stats. They're super cheap and can help a bit.

Neoxon

Somebody give me a good reason to go Nohr. Because from what I'm seeing, King Garon is essentially Citizen Dickbag. I just sympathize too much with Hoshido.
And while sure, kidnapping Azura was a bit harsh, it was in retaliation for the kidnapping of Corrin. Hell, NOHR KILLED HIS GODDAMN MOTHER!!!!

JulianImp

I haven't finished neither version, but Conquest's plot is really funny with the king constantly sending Corrin in suicide missions while nobody gets a clue.
Or I may have missed a couple things due to not being able to read all the kanji that pops up in dialogs yet.

Somebody give me a good reason to go Nohr. Because from what I'm seeing, King Garon is essentially Citizen Dickbag. I just sympathize too much with Hoshido.
Oh look, that's just what I was saying.

Seriously, it's like Hoshido's doing fine until Garon sends Corrin to suicide-bomb the place with the cursed sword thing. Then he fights alongside Nohr, returns to Garon, and the guy decides to send him on a freaking suicide mission for the lulz. What's with that guy?

Neol

The gameplay and
the Nohr cast
is better :p

But yea unless you really value loyalty with the silbings that raised you its pretty one sided.

L95

I haven't finished neither version, but Conquest's plot is really funny with the king constantly sending Corrin in suicide missions while nobody gets a clue.
Or I may have missed a couple things due to not being able to read all the kanji that pops up in dialogs yet.

Xander/Marx catches on immediately, though I'm not sure about the other sibs.

Neoxon

So, that's it, huh? Corrin's crew are the patsies? He & his (adoptive) siblings are some kind of Suicide Squad?

*cranks up Bohemian Rhapsody*

JulianImp

Xander/Marx catches on immediately, though I'm not sure about the other sibs.

Corrin not getting it and still adressing the guy who killed his father and kidnapped him as "chichi-ue" is all kinds of wrong, though. Actually, I wonder how the English translation went around to handling all this chichi-ue talk since it's a nuance that is probably hard to localize, since using just "father" would be falling short in the formality/esteem scale by several orders of magnitude.

Anteo

So, that's it, huh? Corrin's crew are the patsies? He & his (adoptive) siblings are some kind of Suicide Squad?

*cranks up Bohemian Rhapsody*

If you really want to know:

The sibilings are good people that try to play around Garron orders so they end up doing the less damage posible (i.e., they are send to kill inocent peopl they wil take they time so they can escape). Garon is a dick to Corrin and Corrin is an idiot. And the most convinient plot devices and ways for Corrin to avoid doing what he was sent to do. Heck, one of the characters even says "Corrin, you and your loopholes"

Neoxon

If you really want to know:

The sibilings are good people that try to play around Garron orders so they end up doing the less damage posible (i.e., they are send to kill inocent peopl they wil take they time so they can escape). Garon is a dick to Corrin and Corrin is an idiot. And the most convinient plot devices and ways for Corrin to avoid doing what he was sent to do. Heck, one of the characters even says "Corrin, you and your loopholes"
Sounds like Garon needs to go full-on Amanda Waller & cast head-explsoion spells on everyone (if he's that powerful) if they disobey.

Well I finally rounded up all the kids and now even though I intentionally spread EXP around and used a large variety of units, I'm still massively overlevelled for the main story. My mains are hovering around 10 promoted and I'm at Chapter 20 in Birthright. Oh well, I prefer that to banging my head against the wall of doing the Paralogue's late game.

JulianImp

Sounds like Garon needs to go full-on Amanda Waller & cast head-explsoion spells on everyone (if he's that powerful) if they disobey.

The very first chapter after Corrin joins Nohr has him fight a horde of nosferatu (those large green masked monsters), and after you beat it it's revealed that Garon's trusty magus had actually set that fight up for the sake of getting Corrin killed or something.

Garon must want the Best Dad Ever award really hard.

Neoxon

Well to be fair Corrin's the only one to notice it's really her. The other royals and Garon never put two and two together.

Then again literally everyone's a giant idiot in the Conquest route.
So that's the major difference. At least Waller puts the pieces together whenever the Suicide Squad goes awol.

So based on how Conquest is set up before starting Chapter 7, I assume all the DLC will just have Corrin and Felicia/Jakob talking per DLC level.

I don't mind because it's Felicia, but some DLC has to be locked before certain chapters right?Like how will the Children one work?

Anteo

So based on how Conquest is set up before starting Chapter 7, I assume all the DLC will just have Corrin and Felicia/Jakob talking per DLC level.

I don't mind because it's Felicia, but some DLC has to be locked before certain chapters right?Like how will the Children one work?

Some DLC gives you sets characters with sets stas to fight with. I guess that's how it's gonna be handled

Man now that I've beaten Birthright, I'm having a hard time getting myself to start Conquest. I've just grown so attached to the Hoshidans, and I can only imagine how awful it will feel my former comrades...
What happens to the Nohr family at the end of Birthright still brings a tear to my eyes.

Yeah its pretty weird. I grew attached to all these characters and now I'm fighting against them.
I hated the Birthright ending though, especially because of how awesome the Nohr siblings are.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
oVwfrJg.gif

Renewed

I guess it depends. If it's the end of the stage I'm not gonna reset (and then I didn't kill the final boss for Birthright in one turn so 3 more died there).

Busaiku

Ugh, 2 hours on just the map (ignoring story) for chapter 9 of Revelation.
32 turns as well...

Didn't reset, but I was so on edge the entire time...
Did not like this.

Astral Dog

So that's the major difference. At least Waller puts the pieces together whenever the Suicide Squad goes awol.

Conquest is basically
help the evil king conquer as many villages as possible and kill thousands of innocents so we can reveal that he, indeed, is an evil monster.

I'm torn on which side to play first. It seems like gameplay-wise the best path to go is Birthright to Conquest, but now I'm reading that from a getting to know the characters, emotional perspective its better to go the other way. I'm sort of leaning going Conquest first because the intro really didn't spend enough time with the Nohrians to build any connections.

Moonlight

Banned
Gonna write down impressions I have on the characters in Conquest, ranked by their usefulness (but in no particular order in the brackets except for some stand-outs). All of this has been based on my experience in Hard/Classic.

Staples:
Effie: Your workhorse through the entire early game, and manages to stay almost as relevant through everything else. Effie is a fucking boss. She's durable enough to tank nearly every early game threat and her personal skill (with her outrageous strength and weirdly high speed to boot) ensure she can dish out as much as she can take. She drops off just a bit as the game throws more ninjas and mages at you, but she's a best in class physical tank outside the royals.
Camilla: Camilla proves her worth in the very same mission that she's introduced, and never falls off. Through the early game, her pre-promote stats render her virtually unkillable short of truly insane manuevers and proves to be a vital crutch to lean on when you're caught in really bad situations - she's your delete button. Of course, she's no Jeigan either - she's a versatile tank and the fact that she's one of your few unambiguously great axe users makes her damn near essential for some maps.
Xander: It's fortunate that Xander arrives just in time for Effie to fall off a bit in terms of pure utility. Xander is pretty insane, honestly. Siegfried isn't quite the crazy weapon that Raijinto is, but it's nonetheless quite strong, and like all the royals, right out of the gate Xander is incredibly strong - strong enough that it feels a bit bad to use him at first, but he's a bastion of safety for your units from the moment he's introduced - that is, if you're careful about magic.
Elise: Elise isn't the best healer ever, but she's the best one you'll ever get. She's a fine mix of utility - her high mobility means she can cross insane distances for clutch heals, or simply to easily get out of danger zones that would be guaranteed to murder her, and her starting with Freeze makes a huge difference for saving units from being intercepted or stalling objectives. She's got an amazing Personal on top of all that - the damage reduction is crazy, especially early game, and is what really turns tanks like Effie from being very good early units to amazing ones.
Keaton: Keaton's a lot of things. But the two things that really matter about him are: a) He's adorable. b) He's an insane ball of speed, strength, and defense. He's got good starting bases and for almost everything that matters, really strong growths. He's not only a reliable physical tank (especially with Beastrune equipped), he's excellent at assassinating targets and especially tearing apart cavalry - Beastbane proves to be a lot more valuable than you might give it credit for later on. Plus, his kid owns.

Very Reasonable:
Leo: The king of reasonable units. Leo, like all the royals, is strong right out of the gate, but he's also I would consider the 'fairest' of all the royals. Even in his introductory mission, where he's at his peak relative to the rest of your army, he's not even really the best even there. He's still very good, though, and Dark Knight is an excellent class in terms of its' versatility - there's rarely a situation where using Leo is bad, even if there's not tons of situations where he's amazing either - especially since soon after you get him, the game throws tons of high resistance enemies at you. It's really his average speed that kind of makes the difference for him, though, so if you fix that, he'll go from arguably your most reliable tankbuster to easily your best one.
Niles: In a world where you didn't bother investing in Mozu, Niles is the Archer you're stuck with for a very long time - and anyways, he's still better at assassinating mages. Niles is pretty strong out of the gate, and he's almost always relevant for whatever the game chucks at you - be it locked chests or pegasus knights. He'll be able to double most things and is fast or resistant enough that it's rare to feel totally uncomfortable sending him out to do some business.
Peri: I'd love to say Peri is inarguably a staple, but I need to be a bit more clear-headed about this and say that Peri's just really damn good. Bloodthirst is an amazing Personal, a huge Rally for every single physical damage relevant stat in the game (and since Speed is so good it helps her on enemy turns on top of that with the increased Avoid) and all she needs is one kill to get the train going. She's not just an awesome character, she's an awesome unit - the best Cavalier in the game, IMO. She'll level into high strength and high speed, further cranked up by Bloodthirst which throws her damage output into overdrive. Still, she's glassier than what you'd consider ideal and while she has above-average Resistance, it's really not enough to save her from eating a lot of magic damage regardless - it might just mean the difference between being deleted on the spot or surviving the first hit for a lethal counterattack before the second. Great Knight does a good job of covering for her weaknesses, anyways, and her naturally above average Resistance means the penalty doesn't hurt nearly as much.
Jakob: Jakob is a hair away from being a pure staple. He's incredible in the early stages, but the problem is that Jakob just kinda... stops being useful the moment Felicia comes into the picture. Not because Felicia is inherently that much better, but she has the much more relevant stat for damage by that point. Still, he's invaluable for a long time, and Gentilhomme's damage reduction has a lot more value in Conquest's early game given how much you'll be relying on Effie and Fem!Corrin. His early damage output is significantly higher than Felicia's, and there's of course a lot of use you get out of his healing and debuffs. There's just... not much reason to stick with him after a certain point.
Felicia: Felicia is straight-up not very good. For a time. Kind of a long time, honestly. For all the reasons that Jakob is truly invaluable, Felicia is nearly his antithesis. With the tools you're given, her damage output is low and the trade-off in slightly improved stave value doesn't really make up for that when she's basically just budget Elise in terms of utility. Luckily, if you were benefiting from the early game edge of Jakob, Felicia comes in at the exact time she's most useful. Which is the acquisition of the Flame Shuriken. It's what enables Felicia to be so much more powerful than Jakob so immediately, and gives her an immediately defined role in the army. All of a sudden, she's the best of both worlds in being a good staff-bot while still having above-average damage.
Kaze: The other reason why Jakob just becomes significantly less useful. It's certainly true that Flame Shurikens aren't always better than the regular old kind, and while you might think that still leaves room for Jakob's stat orientation, Kaze is way more useful to have around in those situations. He's just better specialized for it, with his insane speed and skill synergy. You can use him to crack open tough physical opponents, but he's especially amazing for blowing up mages between the good match-up on the triangle and high Resistance. He has decent initial utility and he scales well, too.
Selena: I'll be honest, Selena hasn't been quite as amazing for me as she has apparently turned out for others, but being not quite as amazing still means she's pretty damn good. While not quite a Myrmidon, Selena's a potent combination of high speed and high skill, with good strength and decent defense to round out the package. She'll double most things, especially with help, and in all likelihood will wind up being one of your most reliable units for critical hits.
Azura: Pure utility, even if her inclusion always makes positioning a little more complicated than it needs to be. It's all worth it, because Sing is an incredibly powerful ability - the potential for double heals or emergency repositioning, or extending movement range, or... well, anything else, is amazing when used well and well worth the soft resets when you accidentally fuck up and give your enemy an easy vector to her because she's roughly as durable as wet paper.
Beruka: Beruka floats in the limbo that exists between a meh unit and a reasonable one, but I've had a lot of success with her so I'll stick her at the bottom of the reasonable units as opposed to the lord of the meh ones. Beruka's honestly not astounding or anything, and in terms of how you're going to use her, she's kind of just a more physically specialized version of Camilla with a Personal geared towards very solid poking and clean-up. But that's still pretty good, and her combination of high mobility, physical defense, and decent speed are really useful for some maps. Good pair-up fodder on top of that.

Meh:
Silas: He's... alright. There's not much to say about Silas, to be honest. He's just kinda alright. He's got pretty solid growths, he's useful in the early stages of the game with one-two punch of reasonable defense and good speed, but he's... well, he's not really that special, and in terms of his promotion options (which are good, but not unique to him or stuff he's uniquely better at) and how he scales, just doesn't ever really become more than consistently decent. He's a decent Cavalier with the usual promotion options and honestly, a pretty sub-par Personal. It'd be one thing if it happened while he was in a supporting position of the Avatar, but the 50% HP requirement is both too specific and... well, you're leaving your Avatar at 50% HP for kind of a lame power-up of a much less crucial unit. He's still good, just not really remarkable. Meh.
Charlotte: Charlotte is... well, she's okay. Sort of. She's not too reliable as far as hit rate goes and joins at a bit of a difficult chapter for birdfeeding. She packs a lot of heft into her axe, but isn't anywhere close as reliable as Camilla or Beruka is, and doesn't have much HP or defense to make up for it. The bonuses she gives paired up are crazy, though.
Mozu: Mozu seems attractive as a unit, but there's a fallacy a lot of people are in danger of falling into with her and characters like her - having above-average growth rates is not always the same thing as above average potential. And honestly, even adding Aptitude into the mix, Mozu's total growth rates aren't really that special. Ironically, she has a low ceiling in terms of utility and a lot of investment before you hit that ceiling somewhere in the mid-game. Conquest is a bit starved for Archers, but you really need to weigh the handful of missions in the mid-game that Mozu makes easier against the amount of XP it takes to make anything out of her before the late-game starts to render her more and more irrelevant. You can make her something else, but you really need to seriously ask yourself 'why even bother'.

Abort Abort Abort:
Nyx: When her personal is all about taking Ls and dishing them back half-way, it's not exactly a great stage setter. Nyx has the same problem that all of your early mages have, which is that she folds like wet paper to pretty much anything with a sharp end attached to it and doesn't have enough reach to hit first in a meaningful way. Her personal clearly orients her more towards being a mage-killer, but when you get her, there's really not that many mages to necessarily worry about per map, and she's so far behind by the time her Personal could possibly be even remotely relevant that like... she's just not good. Not good.
Odin: Odin's got pretty much all the same problems as Nyx, though his Personal is much more fun (and much better in general) and he's made worth it with his truly amazing kid.
Benoit: There's pretty much no worthwhile reason to use him besides his kid (who I haven't obtained) while Effie lives and breathes, and Xander is hot on her heels shortly after.

I've obviously neglected to mention a lot of other characters, but basically these are all the characters that I felt were worth saying something about. I understand that Arthur's actually not bad, and I love him as a character, but I also don't have anything especially meaningful to say about him as a unit.

The way I did it was Promoted Corrin using Dragonstone tanking the left side with some healing items, Silas with a attack tonic + mozu dealing with the right side Archers, and everyone else up the middle. The key is to actually try to kill all the enemies rather then just holding out, because if you're just holding chokes you're going to get overwhelmed when Takumi dries up the canals. Camilla is really OP in this fight provided you just avoid the archers (Same could be said for most missions though) so just throw her in the middle of a group of enemies that don't have def shred and she'll kill them all. Beruka I had help out Corrin since they really start throwing a ton of guys on the sides as the mission goes on. Aside from that just use the mounted weapons to soften the enemies up then use double attacks to finish them off. As long as the Ninjas and seal defense dudes don't attack you they don't lower your stats so just avoid them from doing that. And just rotate your dudes around as you see fit when things start getting hectic. Try to avoid pairing up imo since you need the second attacks to finish off the enemies and maximize your killing potential.

Keep in mind this is the strat I used on Hard. Your mileage on other difficulties may vary. Also don't forget the Tonics that buff your stats. They're super cheap and can help a bit.
Thanks! I haven't tried using tonics but maybe that'll make the difference...what I've noticed in my past few attempts is I give Corrin too much to deal with in the enemy turn so he just dies.

Gonna write down impressions I have on the characters in Conquest, ranked by their usefulness (but in no particular order in the brackets except for some stand-outs). All of this has been based on my experience in Hard/Classic.

As of chapter 18, I've replaced Effie with Benny. Effie was getting killed easily, but to be fair I probably should have equipped her with better weapons.

I love Odin's chuuni character but hes been butt. Like you said, Nyx is also weak ass hell. Her design is awesome though and I wish I got more out of her.

Top Bottom