• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Really REALLY like Conquest but I'll be honest and say I chose it for the characters, storyline and aesthetic as well as maps/challenge but really really dislike the inability to grind or build up my relationships more than in what limited battles I can considering I often have to strategically place my units, giving me little ability to force-fuck party members I want dick deep in each other. I don't want to trivialize battles by overleveling my guys but I also don't want Effie and Arthur to have ugly children.

Weebos

Banned
Really REALLY like Conquest but I'll be honest and say I chose it for the characters, storyline and aesthetic as well as maps/challenge but really really dislike the inability to grind or build up my relationships more than in what limited battles I can considering I often have to strategically place my units, giving me little ability to force-fuck party members I want dick deep in each other. I don't want to trivialize battles by overleveling my guys but I also don't want Effie and Arthur to have ugly children.

You can use Castle Battles to grind supports, and units don't stay dead if they die in Castle battles (unless its an Invasion).

Wiz

This might sound like a dumb question but whatever: When I get a new skill after defeating someone in their castle, how do I actually use/equip it? I'm not seeing any of the skills available when I try to equip or even view the ones I bought.

Replaying the free DLC goes very quickly and grinds supports while keeping your experience at challenging levels. Not ideal but it does let you get to know and hook up various couples get children paralogues in Conquest. As you noted, there is so much to like about the Conquest side of things that I consider it worth it.

Conquest/Nohr side expanded with ever-challenging optional missions and more subtlety in the story would have been all that Fates needed to be.

Draxal

This might sound like a dumb question but whatever: When I get a new skill after defeating someone in their castle, how do I actually use/equip it? I'm not seeing any of the skills available when I try to equip or even view the ones I bought.

You should see it in the skills available. If you don't talk to you maid/Butler at the keep and check the unit logbook you can buy stuff from the units there, as they will be be put into your logbook.

Conquest Chapter 10 complete. That was without a doubt the hardest mission I have ever played in a Fire Emblem game. The MVP was everyone in my army for not getting themselves killed.

Probably my favorite map of both games so far. Did it on Normal Classic and barely made it through by the skin of my teeth. Can't imagine doing it on Hard.

Favorite moment was when I pulled everybody up to deal with a surge of enemies, and then had an "Oh Shit!" realization when a few Pegasi just ignored my dudes and went straight for the capture point. Had to haul ass back for defense and everything was a mess for a turn or two because I had to abandon my careful defensive strategy to combat the AI's Hail Mary run. Fun as hell though.

Chapter 27 conquest felt far too easy

The gimmick of the map ended up helping me and there were no random reinforcements. The boss wasn't that bad either.

Wiz

You should see it in the skills available. If you don't talk to you maid/Butler at the keep and check the unit logbook you can buy stuff from the units there, as they will be be put into your logbook.

Okay, I haven't checked in there yet. Thanks.

Oh is Mozu worth using? Every battle so far has been "Just enough spots for everyone but Mozu!" and I'm curious if she's like Donnel, as in you can make her good grinding her out and lucking out on her stat ups. But more interesting than Donnel. Cause Donnel is dumb.

Replaying the free DLC goes very quickly and grinds supports while keeping your experience at challenging levels. Not ideal but it does let you get to know and hook up various couples get children paralogues in Conquest. As you noted, there is so much to like about the Conquest side of things that I consider it worth it.

Conquest/Nohr side expanded with ever-challenging optional missions and more subtlety in the story would have been all that Fates needed to be.

Might do that too, thanks

Oh is Mozu worth using? Every battle so far has been "Just enough spots for everyone but Mozu!" and I'm curious if she's like Donnel, as in you can make her good grinding her out and lucking out on her stat ups. But more interesting than Donnel. Cause Donnel is dumb.

you can also grind supports in my castle battles. Which won't provide exp in conquest, but also won't risk permanently losing any unit

Balphon

Oh is Mozu worth using? Every battle so far has been "Just enough spots for everyone but Mozu!" and I'm curious if she's like Donnel, as in you can make her good grinding her out and lucking out on her stat ups. But more interesting than Donnel. Cause Donnel is dumb

I reclassed her to archer immediately in Conquest and she has been my most reliable unit for the majority of the game. It takes some exp to get her up to speed though and there may be better candidates for your first heart seal on the Conquest path (i.e. Odin).

Oh, is Odin better suited to another class? Imma be honest, I have not been looking at any Class Guides or min/max guides, just using dudes I like and Master-Classing them when they hit 20.

Hugstable

Banned

Archer Mozu is a goddess. She's literally been my strongest character outside the usual strong Royals on each side (Ryoma, Takumi, Leo, Xander). She always gets doubles, and those doubles usually do amazing damage. Plus both of my Mozu's have somehow also ended up with some of the highest defense stats on my team outside stuff like Great Knight and the Big Armors.

Archer Mozu is a goddess. She's literally been my strongest character outside the usual strong Royals on each side (Ryoma, Takumi, Leo, Xander). She always gets doubles, and those doubles usually do amazing damage. Plus both of my Mozu's have somehow also ended up with some of the highest defense stats on my team outside stuff like Great Knight and the Big Armors.
I find elise and sakura to be really strong too, great stat growths. Camilla and Hinoka were disappointing

demidar

Lost a unit on Nohr 20 because the map gimmick didn't push me when it should've.

Not relying on that fucking shit again.

I find elise and sakura to be really strong too, great stat growths. Camilla and Hinoka were disappointing

Don't tell me that, I wanna hump my sister. Only reason I made a dude. =/

Looks like I'm reclassing Mozu as an archer. I did kinda need one. Niles is beast early but I dislike his character.

Balphon

Oh, is Odin better suited to another class? Imma be honest, I have not been looking at any Class Guides or min/max guides, just using dudes I like and Master-Classing them when they hit 20.

He starts as a mage but has better physical stats, so he will generally end up better if you reclass him to Samurai as quickly as possible.

He will really never be able to compete with Leo, Elise, or Ophelia as a mage.

demidar

Don't tell me that, I wanna hump my sister. Only reason I made a dude. =/

Looks like I'm reclassing Mozu as an archer. I did kinda need one. Niles is beast early but I dislike his character.

My Beruka Wyvern Lord bests Camilla in every category except magic, but Camilla's magic sucks anyway.

Ryoma is possibly the most powerful FE character in the series though. Camilla can't hold a candle to him

L
M
A
O

Ryoma isn't even close, considering he's not even top 2 in his own game (well ok he's easily #2 in Birthright but like lol), but more importantly, that the top units in Fates aren't anywhere close to the true OP levels of Sigurd/Seth/Robin.

Neol

Ryoma is possibly the most powerful FE character in the series though. Camilla can't hold a candle to him

Yea I agree with Ryoma is a killing machine.

Wyvern knights provide lots of utility and diversity though which theprodigy values more which is a good point.

Excellent. Looks like I might just load my save from before this battle I'm in and reclass Mozu and Odin real quick. Do they get the same or new skills from leveling if I switch their base classes? Like, Villager VS Archer?

Sister-fucking is still on the table!

L
M
A
O

Ryoma isn't even close, considering he's not even top 2 in his own game (well ok he's easily #2 in Birthright but like lol), but more importantly, that the top units in Fates aren't anywhere close to the true OP levels of Sigurd/Seth/Robin.
I feel robin is only really broken if you grind and abuse awakening's class changing, in which case every awakening unit is completely broken (though not necessarily to the same extent). But ryoma is definitely way, way better than Camilla in Fates at the very least

Balphon

Excellent. Looks like I might just load my save from before this battle I'm in and reclass Mozu and Odin real quick. Do they get the same or new skills from leveling if I switch their base classes? Like, Villager VS Archer?

Sister-fucking is still on the table!

Each class has its own skills. They will retain whatever they have from their current class, but will start getting the skills from the class you put them in.

Moonlight

Banned
Yeah, dunno how you can't see how insane Camilla is. Amazing start, great skill access, tons and tons of utility and power off flight and fills an essential niche with her weapon specializations.

She's another one of the reasons Leo's not as good as he should be, lol.

I feel robin is only really broken if you grind and abuse awakening's class changing, in which case every awakening unit is completely broken (though not necessarily to the same extent). But ryoma is definitely way, way better than Camilla in Fates at the very least
Robin is really broken due to a combination of Veteran, nosferatu, and Awakening's map design.

you can't just handwave away class changing, especially when you only need one reclass (to Dark Flier or Sorceror) to become OP

also sorry dude, there's a reason why Camilla is always picked before Ryoma in any draft, spoilers: movement is still everything, combat alone doesn't determine how good units are (especially not when Camilla's combat is already super good)

now, if Ryoma were a Paladin with the same stats...

JulianImp

Yup, she's been fairly serviceable for me, even as a villager (I'll be reclassing her into Archer for my next Conquest mission, though). She regularily gets 5+ stat-ups per level, and was fairly decent once I got her up to speed. She's still a bit on the fragile side, but javelins had me covered on that before and I guess giving her a bow is going to make things even simpler for her.

And she speaks with a kansai dialect, which is always good.

About skills, I have a lv10 villager Mozu(me) I'll be reclassing to archer for the next battle. As soon as she levels up she'll get the first archer skill, and on her second level-up as an archer she'll get the second ability (which is when I'll be promoting her to sniper).

jackal27

Banned
Can someone describe Silas's personality? I'm trying to remember but the only thing that comes through the fog is a faint scent of fresh linen.

He's just like an atypical nice guy. He's loyal and he always brings out the best in people around him it seems like. He's just a bit too smooth. Like the lack of a rough edge makes him forgettable haha.

you can't just handwave away class changing, especially when you only need one reclass (to Dark Flier or Sorceror) to become OP

also sorry dude, there's a reason why Camilla is always picked before Ryoma in any draft, spoilers: movement is still everything, combat alone doesn't determine how good units are (especially not when Camilla's combat is already super good)

now, if Ryoma were a Paladin with the same stats...
i don't think the extra movement is that valuable personally unless a unit can survive seperate from the main group, and I'm not convinced that Camilla can, especially if there are archers

Also ryoma can become a paladin via buddy seal

JulianImp

Veteran + Awakening's xp formula which they heavily nerfed in Fates.

I remember giving my Robin the mercenary armsthrift skill so I could nosferatu things for days, but then I missed the memo that reclassing him to that mage on a mount class made him unable to use nosferatu anymore. Not that I cared, though, since he was already OP as hell at that point.

Each class has its own skills. They will retain whatever they have from their current class, but will start getting the skills from the class you put them in.

Yup, she's been fairly serviceable for me, even as a villager (I'll be reclassing her into Archer for my next Conquest mission, though). She regularily gets 5+ stat-ups per level, and was fairly decent once I got her up to speed. She's still a bit on the fragile side, but javelins had me covered on that before and I guess giving her a bow is going to make things even simpler for her.

And she speaks with a kansai dialect, which is always good.

About skills, I have a lv10 villager Mozu(me) I'll be reclassing to archer for the next battle. As soon as she levels up she'll get the first archer skill, and on her second level-up as an archer she'll get the second ability (which is when I'll be promoting her to sniper).

Oh that's a really good system for skill learning, I like that. I got Mozu at 12, is her 15 Villager skill worth grinding out for or is it not worth it and I should just Archer her up?

When is it best to use the dlc classes? I want hinata as a lodestar, should I wait until he's 20 or should I use it as soon as I get him?

I dunno if they're advanced or not but I've got some babies to make and I don't want to wait around for level 20 unless I have to

demidar

Oh that's a really good system for skill learning, I like that. I got Mozu at 12, is her 15 Villager skill worth grinding out for or is it not worth it and I should just Archer her up?

None of the basic classes have a 15 skill, just 1 at level 1 and 1 at level 10 so you're free to reclass now.

Speaking of, I probably should've class changed her to archer as well. My only archer in rotation is Niles (as a Bow Knight). I've got the Adventurer as well, but eh I got a good thing going here. So Mozu is currently a Master-At-Arms and she can usually go toe-to-toe with anyone since she has high Def, Res and a shitload of Spd. Most enemies avoid her since she's too hard to damage and go for my General instead...

Moonlight

Banned
i don't think the extra movement is that valuable personally unless a unit can survive seperate from the main group, and I'm not convinced that Camilla can, especially if there are archers

Also ryoma can become a paladin via buddy seal
Camilla absolutely can (better than a lot of units anyways), and anyways you should be pairing her up to shore that up anyways and add the shield. She's got decent durability (which you can make better through pair-up) and good resistance, and a lot of speed to go with it. On top of just having a great class and class access. Wyverns are amazing precisely because most archers are honestly pretty easy to play around, and the only other legitimate vulnerability they need to play around is a weapon you see even less of. Camilla and Beruka are often times honestly going to be the better tanks with the right support given how prevalent Armor/Beastslayers can get later on.

And anyways, extra movement is huge for a game so based around positioning and prioritization, and flying units have even more value with their movement because they treat every tile of passable terrain as the same thing. Camilla can cross huge distances to blow dudes up or bring along someone else to do it for her because pair-up is amazing. Tack on an great Personal and, again, her unique weapon niche and it's really no contest for how good she is relative to almost everyone else.

dream

Just finished Birthright, finally, and am about to fire up Conquest. What's the best play for me to make with my two dread scrolls?

Top Bottom