• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

My Xander has been getting terrible level ups. If he doesn't pull it together Sophie is going to pass him in every stat.

Granted I think he's only gained like 4 levels since he joined.
Xander's real strength is in his prf sword and bases, so it's really just a matter of getting his speed patched up through pair up/tonics and then letting him kill everything.

I don't think that's entirely true. Enemies with a chance to crit or high damage skills have targets on their backs, they are the one we want to defeat before they have a chance to start anything. We want to play around their range limits if they have any or use a unit we know can tank or avoid a crit/the skill to weaken them for someone else to finish off, or maybe we just want everyone to back off for a turn. They can force us to choose the order we attack and the positions we leave a unit in very carefully if that enemy isn't alone.

These things can be played around unless we have some really, really bad luck.
I think it depends, given by end game conquest my Ophelia using a mjolnir time had over 50% crit chance

JLuke2600

I'm thinking of picking this game up. I had a few questions though. I heard whispers that the localization may have taken a lot of dialogue out in the name of censorship. Is this true? If so, the OP mentioned getting the Japanese version and patching it. Does this require having custom firmware on my 3DS? Also, how much of the dialogue has voice-over?

TL;DR: What's your opinion of the localization?

Anteo

I'm thinking of picking this game up. I had a few questions though. I heard whispers that the localization may have taken a lot of dialogue out in the name of censorship. Is this true? If so, the OP mentioned getting the Japanese version and patching it. Does this require having custom firmware on my 3DS? Also, how much of the dialogue is voiced?

You will need Homebrew to do it, the voiced dialog that matter is only in cutscenes. You would be trading localization for direct traslation (I've seen some dialog from the patch and everything has "big brother" and "big sister" whenever Corrin talks to the sibilings, like Big Brother Ryoma every time). There was this blog that actually compared some of the changes I read the other day, I'm trying to find the link, will update as soon as I find it.

Edit: this one: https://kantopia.wordpress.com/2016/03/01/fire-emblem-fates-localization-izanas-character-izumos-portrayal-major-change/
If you look around you will find comparison for some other diferences between both games like how localization made Hoshidians more hostile towards Nohr and other stuff

onionfrog

Conquest ch. 12 was a challenge!
I just barely finished it within the 16 turn limit. I wasn't able to get either of the chests in time though. :(

I

The localization is better overall, some things may irk me like Saizo and Beruka's "..." C-Conversation, Female Corrin no longer having a unique support with Rahjat and now just shares the same with Male Corrin, Hisame having a pickle obsession (which is funnier than bad) or Asugi/Selkie's voices being irritating, but I prefer the writing Treehouse did over a literal translation by a long shot.

ChrisD

Sure, miss my 98% attack and then let the enemy hit their 15% killing blow.

I know I'm gambling with rates that aren't 100%, but come on.

I'm thinking of picking this game up. I had a few questions though. I heard whispers that the localization may have taken a lot of dialogue out in the name of censorship. Is this true? If so, the OP mentioned getting the Japanese version and patching it. Does this require having custom firmware on my 3DS? Also, how much of the dialogue has voice-over?

The localization drama was overblown and overreacted. Their really isn't that much of a difference, but after reading most of the Japanese version, I would say that one is rather boring. It's pretty much straight forward and lacks a bit of personality (although this could depend on the translation).
The localization is pretty good, some voices for the characters are strange or bad, others are perfect (Felicia, in my opinion is perfect, but this one is the most divided).
As for story wise, the locazation actually slightly improved the story...slightly.

Dimmle

I've been pleasantly surprised by the quality of the localization script. Outside of the story which has fundamental problems that lead to every scene being absurd, I find the support banter to be legitimately entertaining and occasionally hilarious.

Miker

Bit miffed I wasn't able to get the bottom two chests in Birthright 16 before the thieves took off with them, but I can't be bothered to play that entire chapter again.

I've been pleasantly surprised by the quality of the localization script. Outside of the story which has fundamental problems that lead to every scene being absurd, I find the support banter to be legitimately entertaining and occasionally hilarious.
Sazio has to be the funniest character with his supports.

I don't know if you're being facetious given how serious he is but Saizo is a pretty fun straight man in his supports. His Oboro stuff is perfect.
I should say he's unintentionally funny because how blunt and honest he is.

His supports with Setsuna and Felicia are great.

Balphon

Xander's real strength is in his prf sword and bases, so it's really just a matter of getting his speed patched up through pair up/tonics and then letting him kill everything.

I gave him both my speed wings and he's been fine. It's just amusing (in an obnoxious sort of way) when he gets 7 total stat points over 4 levels and Sophie gets 23.

I gave him both my speed wings and he's been fine. It's just amusing (in an obnoxious sort of way) when he gets 7 total stat points over 4 levels and Sophie gets 23.
The advantage he has over Sophie (and every non mage/ninja/maidler) is that he has 1-2 range with no penalties, making him statistically superior would be way overkill.

So I've had Conquest for a while (#TeamConquest, baby!) and I've been playing it p aggressively on Hard Classic. The game is... well it's tough. Real tough. But then again, I thought every Fire Emblem game I've played, with the exception of Sacred Stones, was hard.

After getting my butt kicked for days, I FINALLY beat Chapter 10! Very difficult stuff and reminded me of the as difficult Defending chapter from Radiant Dawn (don't remember which chapter that was). After a while, I had refined my strategy and used every unit I had to great effect. Not one unit was ignored.

REALLY dig the story, love the narrative powered by mechanics elements, love the conflict and branches that the world provides, and I LOVE the aesthetic. It's so gothic, I love it! Also the different branch stuff reminds me of the Arrowverse multiverse. I'd love for a sequel to have a Crisis on Infinite Earths kinda deal.

Favorite character so far is Arthur BY far. Dude reminds me of me and he's such a badass. Probably my favorite Fighter in the series. I don't like Silas much, but the dude is really good. And Effie? She's the strongest unit of them all. A one woman army that's unstoppable.

As for S-Rank options, I like Elise and Camilla a lot!! I'm not sure if I'm down for S-Ranking them without seeing the entire cast, but they're so cool. I doubt anyone is going to be as fantasmazing as Maribelle was in Awakening, but that's just unfair!

Anyway, so far this game is incredible and a proper sequel to my favorite game of the generation. Can't wait to buy Birthright (physically, of course) and get more out of my Fire Emblem experience!

Astral Dog

Its kinda interesting how the Nohr path takes you to a lot of parts of Hoshido to see the palace and gardens and other stuff,while the Hoshido you get to know alot more of the country of Nohr.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Is there any interactive chart to map out the S-Rank pairings?

I'm on birthright right now and. All the girls I want to waifu are on the Nohr side >_>

GamerSoul

I wonder if the sales of FE Fates will make Nintendo consider a new console entry. Fates should easily do 1m sales in the first year.

That would nice. Although I'm secretly hoping for a FE7 remake with some of the newer mechanics. A playable tactician would be fun.

Busaiku

Geez, Revelation 10 was super rough.
When I saw that we could finally cancel the spikes, I was so excited, but then that lasts only a turn.

massoluk

Banned
Conquest Chapter 18- That moment when you realized you don't have to split your team up at the start of the stage by just pairing them all up and moving them all to the same side

That would nice. Although I'm secretly hoping for a FE7 remake with some of the newer mechanics. A playable tactician would be fun.
I'd much prefer a remake of FE6 if we were to get a remake.

FE6 is one of my absolute fav Fire Emblem games and easily my favorite of the GBA saga. Also we never got it in NA! I want to spend money to support the work I love! Also Roy is AWESOME

Nose Master

So uh, is Invasion 2 (Nohr) even possible? My castle is defended pretty well, and it's been 3-4 maps and I'm still hopelessly outmatched for the ridiculous swarm of strong enemies that invade you. Does it scale, or should I just wait on it a bit more?

Claris

So uh, is Invasion 2 (Nohr) even possible? My castle is defended pretty well, and it's been 3-4 maps and I'm still hopelessly outmatched for the ridiculous swarm of strong enemies that invade you. Does it scale, or should I just wait on it a bit more?
Invasions don't scale.

CazTGG

I wonder if the sales of FE Fates will make Nintendo consider a new console entry. Fates should easily do 1m sales in the first year.

I think that Radiant Dawn, coupled with the flop of #FE on the Wii U in Japan and said console's lackluster sales, put the nail in that coffin. If anything, its success will likely ensure it sticks to handhelds for a while, assuming of course the 3DS sees more support or a successor after whatever the NX is supposed to be.

That and if it means getting another entry as bad as Radiant Dawn...well i'll pass, give me a Conquest-style campaign with good writing any day.

Squire

Banned
How many levels should units generally be gaining per chapter? Two?

I'm at Conquest Chapter 11 and Odin is Lv. 6. I reclassed him to Samurai, but his strength/defense stats are too low for him to take a hit or dish one out. Pairing him with Selena is helping, but I feel like she's babysitting him where she could be gaining EXP herself. Maybe it's because I have them paired up instead of just adjacent? I'm thinking of just grinding his supports in the DLC, so I can drop him and get Ophelia at the first opportunity later.

GamerSoul

That's the My Unit essentially.
In fact its Micaiah and Soren In Radiant Dawn,
Soren/Ike in Path of Radiance
The Twins in Sacred Stones

I meant specifically the NPC tactician we "play" as throughout the story. I wouldn't mind still being silent but having that character as playable could be interesting.

I'd much prefer a remake of FE6 if we were to get a remake.

FE6 is one of my absolute fav Fire Emblem games and easily my favorite of the GBA saga. Also we never got it in NA! I want to spend money to support the work I love! Also Roy is AWESOME

Ohh yea. I have yet to play FE6. They should make the game available here already!

Look I love modern FE but I want IS to not remake anything. I don't even get the point, the mechanics and design hold up and I doubt any remake would look better than the GBA games.

Draxal

The exact opposite imho, Nintendo probably thinks it's a handheld series only now especially after #FE completely bombing.

Started revelation. Paralogue 1 was kind of hilarious because you have almost no characters when you first get it, as opposed to Birthright and Conquest

CazTGG

Look I love modern FE but I want IS to not remake anything. I don't even get the point, the mechanics and design hold up and I doubt any remake would look better than the GBA games.

If it means getting Fire Emblem 2-6 and BS Fire Emblem localized, i'll take a remake... though i'd prefer an HD port of the original. Worse comes to worse, there's always the original to play.

So, I forgot that I had picked ninja as my talent for my Conquest character. And I decided to buy Hoshidan Unity off of my Birthright character. And then I got Lethality, which activates more often than Dragon Fang does. I'm pretty happy with how it has turned out.

Should I go for it and get Aether from the Great Lord class? Or should I try to finish Conquest without using the DLC classes?

Insolitus

Banned
The exact opposite imho, Nintendo probably thinks it's a handheld series only now especially after #FE completely bombing.

I don't know why people keep pointing to #FE saying it's lack of success means they're won't be a new console entry when it's very clearly a spin off. That's like saying the last Mario Party bombed so they're won't be any more console Mario games. Radiant Dawn isn't a good excuse either because it was from a time when FE was still considered a hardcore only franchise and was released on Wii.

The localization is fine. There's some stuff that I do have legitimate grievances with (Pointless removal of the swimsuits and Toga, Saizo-Brueka C support axing characterization for a stupid "..." joke). Most of it is overblown though and the localization even improves on several points from the Japanese version.

Top Bottom