• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Lynx_7

Chapter 18 was RNG hijinx. First I get Leo basically dodging everything like he's Piccolo's apprentice and surviving several assaults he absolutely should have died to, getting freaking amazing level ups and just generally being the god he is. Then after beating every single enemy on the map and the reinforcements, Selena decides to miss a 90% attack and the boss triggered Vengeance and one-shot killed her at full HP. Strategy game AAA+ ladies and gentlemen.
I feel like the Fire Emblem theme should start playing whenever moments like these happen. It just summarizes perfectly what this franchise is all about. To rub salt in the wound I got shitty level ups on my subsequent run and reseted halfway through because FUCK YOU RNG I AIN'T YOUR BITCH.

Anyway, I dont usually care much about child characters in general
(well besides Nanako from persona but I mean)
but Midori is just the most adorable thing. Too bad my main team is already too crowded as it is so I dont really plan on using the offspring units.

PK Gaming

CdHzoMHUUAAbTuf.jpg

CdHzoIKUMAAJVX_.jpg

CdHzoQlUMAAqzCh.jpg

CdHzoQbUYAAAV9g.jpg

source

Chapter 18 was RNG hijinx. First I get Leo basically dodging everything like he's Piccolo's apprentice and surviving several assaults he absolutely should have died to, getting freaking amazing level ups and just generally being the god he is. Then after beating every single enemy on the map and the reinforcements, Selena decides to miss a 90% attack and the boss triggered Vengeance and one-shot killed her at full HP. Strategy game AAA+ ladies and gentlemen.
I feel like the Fire Emblem theme should start playing whenever moments like these happen. It just summarizes perfectly what this franchise is all about. To rub salt in the wound I got shitty level ups on my subsequent run and reseted halfway through because FUCK YOU RNG I AIN'T YOUR BITCH.

Anyway, I dont usually care much about child characters in general
(well besides Nanako from persona but I mean)
but Midori is just the most adorable thing. Too bad my main team is already too crowded as it is so I dont really plan on using the offspring units.

this is what casual is for. I could have done it on classic, but it's just too much time spent restarting due to bs like that, as well as my own dumb mistakes.

What difficulty are you playing? I had trouble with that one, until I learned how to approach it.

First turn, I placed Niles on the top so he can defeat the 3 mages on the enemy phase, then I went back to the middle to tank the upcoming flyers, after dealing with those, I took out the enemies on the island on the left.

After that it was just slowly advancing as the reinforcements came in, they will stop coming after a while, around turn 8. After that, the future reinforcements will only come when you get close to Setsuna and Hinoka. So I baited Azama's hex rod with pair up support units, and then baited Setsuna. That's the only time I needed to use DV to shorten the Flyer's movement range as more will appear when you are in Setsuna's range. The tricky thing is making sure to take her out next turn and that your weak units wont die to the remaining ground units. After that, it should be easy, more reinforcements will when you approach Hinoka, and you can use DV again if you can't beat her before they reach you.

I'm playing on Casual, Normal. I dont have a problem until the reinforcements start pouring in after I get near Azama. I think like 6-8 Kinshi Knights appeared in one turn because I had units close to both Azam and Setsuna. I misjudged and had Xander one tile too close and fell victim to Azama's hex rod. He took out 3-4 enemies but fell at the end. Then I basically just died to the swarm.

I think I used the dragon veins too early and I should save them for the later reinforcements like you suggest. I think I'll send some of my weakest units to bait Azama's hex rod. Basically make 3 sacrifices until he's out.

Thanks for the tips! I spent nearly an hour last night only to lose so I needed to walk away from it for a bit lol

OmegaFax

Is anyone else a fan of Rinkah's supports, or do most people find them annoying? I've really enjoyed them so far (Kaze C, Silas C, Kaden A, Orochi A), but maybe it's also because I really like her in general.

Anyway, after almost a week off, I came back today to plow through Birthright 21. Trying to pair people up finally as I don't have a single S support for anyone. Don't think I'll be going for all the children as I still plan to play through Conquest and Revelations in a row right after this.

I had Corrin marry Rinkah in Birthright. They were the only two characters that reached S-rank support when I finished the game. Did not go for any of the children either. I plan on getting at least one more couple when I go through my run of Conquest. Since I'm still playing the game with the training wheels on (aka Phoenix Mode), I'm more interested in the story and how the characters interact vs. overall strategy.

I liked Rinkah. Her arc with Corrin is worked because they refer to how they met each other at the beginning of the game a few times. Since she's such a closed off character, it's fun seeing her slowly open up. I think there were a few C and B rank conversations that played on her lack of etiquette and using proper utensils.

Finally got Keaton on my team. Time for them Werewolf babies.

Been seeing more of Jakob's supports with people and wow does he have a fucking sharp tongue with people.

Draxal

I'm going to break you is the best crit quote, too bad my Felicia can't crit anymore with her Flame shuriken though.

Is it possible to get all the kid supports in a Revelation game? Simple yes or no will do here.

You're able to get all the kids but not all of their supports.

Draxal

Curious, is there a reason for this? I know that Revelation adds more supports between Nohr and Conquest characters, but does it also remove some exclusive ones?

Nope, remember Corrin can s rank with every character in the game, but can only s rank one character at a time. Kids aren't excluded from this.

Lynx_7

this is what casual is for. I could have done it on classic, but it's just too much time spent restarting due to bs like that, as well as my own dumb mistakes.

I still prefer playing on Classic all things considered because of the added tension to every single one of your moves. Also, I feel like I'm a better player now than I would be if I gave in to Casual. I'd probably be one of the people wondering "how are you even supposed to clear this map without losing anyone?" if I played on Casual because the punishment isn't as harsh so I'd resort to "meat shield" tactics and so on, while Classic mode makes me go "aah, so this is how you do it!" and it feels very rewarding. I know I could just pretend to be playing Classic and resetting nevetheless, but without the game enforcing it on me it just cuts any sort of tension since I know for a fact that I have a safety net to fall back on. Fire Emblem mechanics and design choices in general just feels more balanced towards classic.

It's just the crits and luck-based skills that equals an auto-kill that I can't get behind. It feels cheap when the enemy does it and it still feels cheap when you do it
(can also be a nuisance like when I had perfectly planned how to kill a boss while sharing the exp in the most effective way possible between my units and then Camilla just goes there and crits him, good job breaking it hero)
. It doesn't add any sort of strategic depth, just an element of luck, like you gotta beat a map while also winning the behind the scenes lottery. Wouldn't mind if they did away with it entirely. Hit% can and should stay, though.

Balphon

Been seeing more of Jakob's supports with people and wow does he have a fucking sharp tongue with people.

Pretty much. Jakob even has a combat dialogue where he mouths off at Frederick in the Awakening DLC.

JulianImp

What can I do in the card store? I've unlocked it and decided to build it since the other available buildings didn't seem all that interesting, but I'm kind of stuck unable to read the whole description so what I think I got is that you can recruit units in there (but only for castle battles, I guess).

Rutger

Banned
It's just the crits and luck-based skills that equals an auto-kill that I can't get behind. It feels cheap when the enemy does it and it still feels cheap when you do it
(can also be a nuisance like when I had perfectly planned how to kill a boss while sharing the exp in the most effective way possible between my units and then Camilla just goes there and crits him, good job breaking it hero)
. It doesn't add any sort of strategic depth, just an element of luck, like you gotta beat a map while also winning the behind the scenes lottery. Wouldn't mind if they did away with it entirely. Hit% can and should stay, though.

I don't think that's entirely true. Enemies with a chance to crit or high damage skills have targets on their backs, they are the one we want to defeat before they have a chance to start anything. We want to play around their range limits if they have any or use a unit we know can tank or avoid a crit/the skill to weaken them for someone else to finish off, or maybe we just want everyone to back off for a turn. They can force us to choose the order we attack and the positions we leave a unit in very carefully if that enemy isn't alone.

These things can be played around unless we have some really, really bad luck.

suzu

Jakob is mean and hilarious. Would S-rank if I was not committing mortal sins.

JulianImp

She does move right? I put her in an area where I knew units would be fighting, but she doesn't heal anyone.

She doesn't move AFAIK. I've only seen her do anything in Conquest, where she fought units without any kind of battle animation (it's like when units have scripted fights where they bump into each other and one of them takes damage). Even then, she only attacks enemies that come into her attack range and goes back to her shrine afterwards.

OmegaFax

She doesn't move AFAIK. I've only seen her do anything in Conquest, where she fought units without any kind of battle animation (it's like when units have scripted fights where they bump into each other and one of them takes damage). Even then, she only attacks enemies that come into her attack range and goes back to her shrine afterwards.

I was wondering about that. I need to place the temple in a more strategic location. I've been hoarding certain buildings in a corner or where they look nice. She is a healer in Birthright but offensive in Conquest. No idea about Revelation because I only finished one chapter in that path.

Anteo

I was wondering about that. I need to place the temple in a more strategic location. I've been hoarding certain buildings in a corner or where they look nice. She is a healer in Birthright but offensive in Conquest. No idea about Revelation because I only finished one chapter in that path.

I've seen one Lilith that had both a staff and a breath in her inventory, so I guess that one was from Revelation

Man after Elise going back to having Sakura as my healer in Revelation feels like going from a piece of paper to a tank. Sakura has more durability than some of your early combat units.

Also hype af for Priestess Sakura with a Shining Bow, that sounds so ridiculously good.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Nope, remember Corrin can s rank with every character in the game, but can only s rank one character at a time. Kids aren't excluded from this.
Sorry, maybe I'm dense, but I don't understand what this means. Why can't you potentially get every support in Revelations through replays?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Jakob throws shade better than he does shurikens

kewlmyc

Sorry, maybe I'm dense, but I don't understand what this means. Why can't you potentially get every support in Revelations through replays?

Without going into spoilers there are at least two characters that you can't support in Revelations that you could in the other routes, depending on which route you played.

Chapter 19 Conquest Hard, it's not really hard since I used
Peri with a Beast Killer + Vantage. At least she got 8 level ups that chapter.

I paired him up with Corrin, now Conquest is literally Keaton Emblem: Xander-quest

Kyrios

Just finished Birthright last night. Great game but for some reason it felt brief to me.

Either way, starting Conquest very soon.

Balphon

My Xander has been getting terrible level ups. If he doesn't pull it together Sophie is going to pass him in every stat.

Granted I think he's only gained like 4 levels since he joined.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Getting close to the end (I think?) of Birthright. I don't think I'll have the desire to play though all of Conquest before Revelations. If I keep going after the end, I think I'll just do the Revelations path and call it a game. Then if I get an itch later, I can come back to Conquest.

Top Bottom