• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Draxal

I don't know why people keep pointing to #FE saying it's lack of success means they're won't be a new console entry when it's very clearly a spin off. That's like saying the last Mario Party bombed so they're won't be any more console Mario games. Radiant Dawn isn't a good excuse either because it was from a time when FE was still considered a hardcore only franchise and was released on Wii.

Pointing it out as the Wii U does/did not have an RPG audience the RPG audience is on Portable/PC and PS4 and Nintendo knows it. RD/POR have the poorest sales in the series, and it's not a quality issue, it was an audience mismatch issue.

CazTGG

I don't know why people keep pointing to #FE saying it's lack of success means they're won't be a new console entry when it's very clearly a spin off. That's like saying the last Mario Party bombed so they're won't be any more console Mario games. Radiant Dawn isn't a good excuse either because it was from a time when FE was still considered a hardcore only franchise and was released on Wii.

Radiant Dawn was such a commercial disaster (on what was the hottest selling console in 2007) that Intelligent Systems changed their direction for the Fire Emblem series entirely, to the point where they were working on a straight-up JRPG entry with the Fire Emblem series' name attached to it instead of another tactical RPG before scrapping it in favor of Shadow Dragon. I think it's fair to say that the series' future on home console is dead outside of Virtual Console re-releases
in Japan only

Astral Dog

A Fire Emblem will surely come to NX, and with that your home console version, BAM.

Is there some kind of New game plus after you finish?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
So someone said if I buy one version of FE Fates then the other version discounts to 20 dollars, will it still do this if I buy it physical or do I have to get it digitally? It's not a problem if it is just want to know

Brakke

Banned
Does Revelation work like Birthright or Conquest in terms of grind missions available?

So someone said if I buy one version of FE Fates then the other version discounts to 20 dollars, will it still do this if I buy it physical or do I have to get it digitally? It's not a problem if it is just want to know

You can buy the other path as a DLC in whatever cart / executable you have. The second path is a $20 add-on to the first.

Buy path #2 from the main menu of path #1. Don't buy both paths physically (or through eShop).

CazTGG

Does Revelation work like Birthright or Conquest in terms of grind missions available?

You can buy the other path as a DLC in whatever cart / executable you have. The second path is a $20 add-on to the first.

Buy path #2 from the main menu of path #1. Don't buy both paths physically (or through eShop).

If by grinding you mean challenges and scouting, then yes
except for Chapters 16 & 17 which are back to back with no ability to grind or even return to your My Castle which was kind of bizarre.

Draxal

On localization, I think the voice acting was fine, there's some characters that were changed for the better and for some for the worse; there were def some typos that got past qaas a well.

I mean nothing pissed me off as much than the name changes of the fe4/5 characters in Awakening :D.

I love that I actually have to use rescue and freeze staffs to beat conquest on hard.

Usually they'd rot in convoy.

Some of conquest maps are very well thought out.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

Thanks, that clears it up

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I vastly prefer tactical games on handheld. It's not like the system determines the quality of the gameplay.

I'll trade console graphics (artstyle is more important anyway) for portability whether it's on the toilet, in the subway, or in bed.

Of course who knows what NX will be like.

JulianImp

I vastly prefer tactical games on handheld. It's not like the system determines the quality of the gameplay.

I'll trade console graphics (artstyle is more important anyway) for portability whether it's on the toilet, in the subway, or in bed.

Of course who knows what NX will be like.

Besides, all those HD graphics and better audio quality and quantity comes at a hefty budget increase. Both FE Awakening and Fates can get away with model-swapping different heads into generic unit bodies with very mild scale changes precisely because they're handheld games, for example.

That would nice. Although I'm secretly hoping for a FE7 remake with some of the newer mechanics. A playable tactician would be fun.

Never played FE7 so I'd love to get a chance to play it, preferably with a casual mode added :p

I think that Radiant Dawn, coupled with the flop of #FE on the Wii U in Japan and said console's lackluster sales, put the nail in that coffin. If anything, its success will likely ensure it sticks to handhelds for a while, assuming of course the 3DS sees more support or a successor after whatever the NX is supposed to be.

That and if it means getting another entry as bad as Radiant Dawn...well i'll pass, give me a Conquest-style campaign with good writing any day.

The exact opposite imho, Nintendo probably thinks it's a handheld series only now especially after #FE completely bombing.

I dont think #FE should be used to gauge peoples interest in FE on console since its kind of like its own thing, vastly different from the recent FE games that blew up in popularity.

I hope Nintendos next handheld has a high quality HD screen with solid specs. The art in this series is too good to be displayed on a low res screen. Kinda criminal. Thats half the reason I'd like a console version.

Sidenote, the 3D models in Fates looks pretty great. The environments are usually barren but they look noticeably better than Awakenings.

Hah, finally beat Conquest 17. That took me two evenings to get through, easily 10x harder than any other Chapter on Birthright mode. At least I got a nice rush out of finally beating that chapter. Conquest is just feeling more and more masochistic as I play but I'm dedicated to not letting this game beat me.

Camilla is better than Effie for pretty much the entire game. You can argue who's better by endgame, but you can't ignore Camilla's superior contributions for the numerous chapters preceding endgame. That's the point I was trying to make.

Fair point.

Although for me it was Effie winning MVP, I play a rather aggressive game where I use her as a meat shield, she had the most kills in my game, Camilla wasn't even close

champloo

I reclassed Charlotte to a Wyvern Lord, and she has become my best unit.

Thanks to her low def and high hp she is the perfect bait when enemies are sparse. Previously I would use Effie or Xander when I need to lure a few enemies, and they would ignore or walk right pass them not bothering to attack. Now these enemies love to jump on Charlotte and get burnt. Allowing my weaker unit to come in and get the exp on next turn.

When enemies come in large numbers and I need to turtle. she is also a good attack stance partner. it's also nice that she rallies both str and def with a single command.

Camilla is my Conquest hero, Xander is a close second. Camilla can take anyone down. I usually let her fly providing there arent multiple archers in the same area.

On localization, I think the voice acting was fine, there's some characters that were changed for the better and for some for the worse; there were def some typos that got past qaas a well.

I mean nothing pissed me off as much than the name changes of the fe4/5 characters in Awakening :D.
You'll take your Ced and you'll like it!

At least Ares > Aless

champloo

Uh...Camilla starts with 6 more def and 7 more HP than Effie.

Effie needs to gain over 10 levels to match BASE Camilla

But Camilla joins 10 levels higher than Effie. I left her on the bench for a while not wanting her to absorb too much exp.

They serve different purpose though. Camilla is more versatile especially in open area, but when I need to hold a chokepoint I know who I trust most.

EDarkness

I'm on Conquest 20 and I'm thinking about dropping it and moving on to Birthright. I really hate the story and the maps are getting silly. I just want to fight mobs instead of having to battle some crazy mechanic that doesn't make a damn bit of sense. It's not hard, but I really just don't want to waste time on stuff like this. Ugh.

I still can't see what everyone sees in Camilla. She sucks so hard in my game. Dies all the time and can't take hits. After reading this thread I decided to take her off the bench, but she's still just as bad as she ever was. Effie on the other hand tanks like a champ. Glad I kept her in my group.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Revelation seems pretty cool so far. Corrin is way more useful in the opening chapters than the other two routes.
Mostly because he's one of your only combat compable units for a good few chapters

FE games become a lot easier and straightforward when you let prepromotes feast. You never need as much EXP/high levelled units in endgame as you think you do. Its more economical to use fewer units, instead of trying to spread experience equally. It's why speedruns, which rely on solid, fast and reliable strategies, abuse prepromotes like Camilla as much as possible.

You're of course entitled to play how you want, but from a strategic perspective, it rarely makes sense to leave a better unit on the bench.

To be Fair, Speed runs go for the easy settings most of the time.

In Hard Mode, you do gotta be careful with EXP, but I play with only 8 characters at most so you make a fair point there

Somnid

FE games become a lot easier and straightforward when you let prepromotes feast. You never need as much EXP/high levelled units in endgame as you think you do. Its more economical to use fewer units, instead of trying to spread experience equally. It's why speedruns, which rely on solid, fast and reliable strategies, abuse prepromotes like Camilla as much as possible.

You're of course entitled to play how you want, but from a strategic perspective, it rarely makes sense to leave a better unit on the bench.

I don't understand. Of course following a speed-run script hundreds of times turn-for-turn is going be straightforward. Of course you don't need many high-level units if you know exactly which moves you are going to make. But nearly everyone in here is doing it the first time.

Random question: how do you yield in the arena? I hit X like the instructions tell me to, and it shows an "X: Yielded" note in the bottom right, but of the three times I've tried to yield, it's only actually worked once. The other two times, I just hit X over and over and the note appears and disappears, but then my character dies and I've lost what I wagered anyways. Am I missing something?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I don't understand. Of course following a speed-run script hundreds of times turn-for-turn is going be straightforward. Of course you don't need many high-level units if you know exactly which moves you are going to make. But nearly everyone in here is doing it the first time.
I think he meant in general. Speedruns were just an example used to help his argument. He's right, though. Pre-promotes aren't nearly as bad as they're made out to be, and sometimes they're even a better choice to use than a unit you're raising yourself. Especially when grinding isn't an option, such as in the older FEs or Conquest.

Lunatic difficulty might be a different story. I dunno about that, though.

To be Fair, Speed runs go for the easy settings most of the time.

In Hard Mode, you do gotta be careful with EXP, but I play with only 8 characters at most so you make a fair point there

It's not like Lunatic LTC is any better for Effie vs Camilla (or anyone...except Corrin vs Camilla)

TWILT

Banned
Revelation is pretty good so far. Nothing too hard (Hard/Classic), but it's pretty fun. Just beat chapter 8.
hnnng that cutscene. Really want to use Sakura alot this time around.

Galafar

Neo Member
I have a few birthright questions!

I'm on hard mode. Will the scouts get more expensive as the game progresses? 1.5.k is a pretty reasonable price to help edge my characters out a little bit but I'm worried by doing it early I'll eventually trap myself in a horrible corner as the scouting prices get too high.

So, what I'm asking is: The more you scout, the more expensive it gets? Or does it stay at the reasonable price? I have to think of everything in the grand scheme

And pairing isn't as straight forward as it was in Conquest for me... So far I'm considering Orochi and Hayato and Silias and Rinkah. I like keeping my tanks together but maybe a weaker character might need a tank to help boost their defensive abilities while also boosting the tanks speed/offense abilities.

I'm probably thinking way too hard on this aren't I lol

Draxal

Scouting gets more expensive depending on the levels of the mob spawn. The later levels cost more and have higher level spawns.

champloo

Random question: how do you yield in the arena? I hit X like the instructions tell me to, and it shows an "X: Yielded" note in the bottom right, but of the three times I've tried to yield, it's only actually worked once. The other two times, I just hit X over and over and the note appears and disappears, but then my character dies and I've lost what I wagered anyways. Am I missing something?

you press x and yield after that turn complete. you cannot just yield at any moment.

Well then..... Conquest Hard just became Keaton Emblem. The last few chapters so far have been nothing but Keaton with Fem Corrin as pair up bot, and he's just obliterating/tanking more than Xander with Charlotte or Ryoma Birthright ever wish they could.

Edit: Chapter 23 and
almost everyone is scared of the pairing, they're not even trying to approach them until I took out Hinata

I knew from trailers Camilla would be my fave character and she did not disappoint. The combination of her being very compassionate and emotional combined with her cruelty is really endearing and hilarious. Her B support with Selena was great;

Selena: Would you be sad if I left?
Camilla: I'd cry til I ran out of tears. Or cut your legs off so you couldn't leave. Hahahaha.
Selena: Hahahaha. Why are we laughing?

FINALLY beat Conquest 24. I basically just waited in one area and picked off the enemy one by one. When most of the reinforcements were dealt with, I moved everyone to the center. Then as more flying reinforcements came, used a dragon vein which helped my strongest units make a huge push to the boss. Took a *long* time but whatevs.

Only lost 1 unit due to getting cocky.

I'm just gonna be super patient. I'm rushing as much as I can so I can get to Revelation but I need to savor this experience.

Man Camilla is so catty and territorial lol.

SolVanderlyn

Corrin should've been a twin or something

No character can be logical and then outright stupid all at once.
Corrin seems to have an impulsivity problem. He/she is super nice and relatively intelligent, but also prone to making decisions on the spot and overreacting.

I knew from trailers Camilla would be my fave character and she did not disappoint. The combination of her being very compassionate and emotional combined with her cruelty is really endearing and hilarious. Her B support with Selena was great;

Selena: Would you be sad if I left?
Camilla: I'd cry til I ran out of tears. Or cut your legs off so you couldn't leave. Hahahaha.
Selena: Hahahaha. Why are we laughing?

I loved that support. Her supports with other characters are generally great but shes a little too creepy with Corrin.

FluxWaveZ

30 minutes down the drain in Birthright 14 because I was feeling myself a bit too much and made one stupid mistake when there were only 3 enemies left. Great. I like Hard/Classic because it forces me to be deliberate, but I also don't like it.

Beat Conquest 25.

I beat Ryoma with just Corrin. I didnt bother moving any of my units. I havent saved yet though. Should I redo that chapter to kill some units for EXP? Will I really need it in the next 2 chapters?

Conquest 10

Well holy shit, it's been a while since I've been on my toes the way this chapter made me. Couldn't get to all four houses and Camilla-Bureka had to save my ass multiple times but I managed to get it done on my 3rd try. Can definitely see how this chapter kicked everyone's ass. The Zerg Rush near the end was nail-biting for me.

JoBo4

Neo Member
Conquest on hard is killing me. Chapter 10 nearly made me cry out in frustration.

I'm on mission 12 now. Now that I grinded with relationships (cheated) with the online castle visitations, I can do the paralogues to level up. Anybody else sticking it out with the hard difficulty route in conquest?

MAJOR SPOILERS FOR CONQUEST'S STORY AT CHAPTER 25 (Click the quote to reveal it):

DlNsXY1.jpg

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The Effie underselling is odd, she's been one of my most reliable units. Finished chapter 17 and now she's a great knight for added mobility.

Leo doesn't seem that great though, I wonder if he's better as a strategist.

.JayZii

Banned
Didn't realize until too late that I had locked myself out of one child unit because of how I paired off the characters. Sorry, Jakob, you'll just have to pine after Corrin forever. Hopefully his kid wasn't super amazing.

Does anything carry over from Birthright or Conquest game saves into Revelations, or is it just like starting a brand new game? Are all the supports, levels, stats and so on all reset?

Top Bottom