• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Kyrios

So far I've enjoyed Birthright's story a hell of a lot more than I am currently enjoying Conquest's...does it get better?

Lynx_7

Conquest 19: ONE move point out of position by accident and I have to restart a rout map on the VERY LAST ENEMY.

I know that feeling all too well. Conquest does not forgive. The fact that it was also followed by a very late-turn death because Kaze couldn't freaking dodge a 30%hit only made matters worse.
After that I just said screw it and went the lame route by buying a Beast Killer lance and giving it to Camilla. Was not a big fan of that chapter's gimmick tbh.

pariah164

WVW69i_CKq0-T6xflq

Kaze coming to steal your girl~

Xenoflare

So far I've enjoyed Birthright's story a hell of a lot more than I am currently enjoying Conquest's...does it get better?

Nope, the gameplay of Conquest evens out the borderline offensively bad story.

Nothing worth getting angry over though since the overall story quality of all three arcs are passable at best.

Kyrios

Nope, the gameplay of Conquest evens out the borderline offensively bad story.

Nothing worth getting angry over though since the overall story quality of all three arcs are passable at best.

Ah okay, that's what I figured. But like you said the gameplay makes up for it, so I'm alright with it. Birthright will probably just be my primary game.

Xenoflare

Ah okay, that's what I figured. But like you said the gameplay makes up for it, so I'm alright with it. Birthright will probably just be my primary game.

Fates is one of the few games that I'm really glad I spoiled myself over in the end, since if I went into the game with the amount of hype that I had I'd be mad salty with it.

Enjoy Conquest, gameplay wise it's one of the finest strategy rpgs I've played in a while. Birthright on the other hand made me restart because Branch of Fate retains your previous difficulty state (which was normal for me) and it got stale til after 15 for me since I can just autobattle my way to victory.

Conquest on the other hand gave me hell even on normal for the later chapters.

Kyrios

Fates is one of the few games that I'm really glad I spoiled myself over in the end, since if I went into the game with the amount of hype that I had I'd be mad salty with it.

Enjoy Conquest, gameplay wise it's one of the finest strategy rpgs I've played in a while. Birthright on the other hand made me restart because Branch of Fate retains your previous difficulty state (which was normal for me) and it got stale til after 15 for me since I can just autobattle my way to victory.

Conquest on the other hand gave me hell even on normal for the later chapters.

Oh yeah the gameplay is great, definitely no complaints over here. It's just a shame they kinda dropped the ball with the story, but I guess that's what happens when you split into 3 games.

But I'm definitely looking forward to the challenge of the later chapters of Conquest.

Chapter 10 of Revelations..... I can see the problem here

What's with Chapter 10 of all 3 routes
being so time consuming, first Birthright's difficult opening turns, then Conquest being a hard Defend objective (albeit it's a really good one), and now it's breaking through all this ice?

Finally beat Conquest. My God that was hard but also really rewarding. I've struggled more on the last few missions than all of Awakening and Birthright combined.

Story was dumb as bricks but I liked it. (Birthright + Conquest spoilers)
At least the sibling deaths this time werent stupid and meaningless. Still mad about Xander and Elise being idiots in Birthright but oh well.

The ending cinematic was funny.
Nothing like running into Camillas breasts and then have them jiggle on your face in glorious 3D.

Might take a few days before I start Revelation, even though I'm dying to play it. So much Fire Emblem in such a short span of time. I think I'm getting burnt out since I was trying to dismiss the ending conversations as quick as I could.

are there any good guides on how leveling, promotion, and inheritance work in these games? i'm so used to how awakening worked that I've got no idea what i'm doing

I wish the lyrics for Azuras song was better. The singer is really talented but the lyrics are so dumb but I guess that cant be helped since they needed to make it match the melody.

LOL.

I equipped Felicia with flame shuriken and suddenly shes the most op unit in the game.

In chapter 13 of conquest i sent Odin and Felicia pair alone to the left towards the diviners and they legit ignored her because her resistances were too high.

I'm going to try sending her truly alone and see if that changes anything.

demidar

LOL.

I equipped Felicia with flame shuriken and suddenly shes the most op unit in the game.

In chapter 13 of conquest i sent Odin and Felicia pair alone to the left towards the diviners and they legit ignored her because her resistances were too high.

I'm going to try sending her truly alone and see if that changes anything.

Yeah Flame Shuriken turns her from a healbot to an absolute killer.

Cerium

What is Jakob's max level? Butler is listed as a promoted class, but the game is telling me he can still get exp at level 20.

NeonZ

I know they were added because of fan favorites, but some of the supports keep mentioning leaving this world and all that, I'm wondering if they are trying to connect the Awakening/Hoshido-Norh world. Sequel maybe?

I would actually like a Awakening Sequel.

An Awakening (direct) sequel would mean having to confirm canon pairings (and also keep all the characters with confirmed S rankings from getting new paired endings). They aren't going to do it, unless it's a 100 years timeskip or something. It's not like Fates did badly or anything to force them to go back to Awakening's cast. We'll probably get a completely new cast once again next game, maybe with a few returning characters
like the Awakening trio here
and the Amiibo.

You dont understand what I mean.
The DLC shows how they change clothers and go to the fates universe. It doenst specify which version of the children they are.

As you know, in awakening there is the Future Past DLC that tells the story of the Awakening 2nd gen in a different outrealm, in this outrealm they didnt go back in time to save their parents cause they actually managed to get all the gemstones, they are on the way back to Lucina in Ylisse so she can perform the Awakening but they get ambushed.

One of the stages has Owain and Inigo doing a last man stand on a bridge. Odin from Fates references some traumatic event that happens on a bridge in one of the supports. So, is this Odin the one that came back in time in awakening? or the one that made the last man stand on the bridge alongside Inigo in Future Past?

Laslow/Odin's support mentions
them going to "other world" meeting their parents and defeating "the dragon". They even reference their conversation from the "Harvest Scramble" DLC.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
About to pair up Selena/Subaki in Rev.

I hope the child supports mention the "family resemblance"

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
There are so many interesting characters in Conquest. And I know I can't raise them all or I'll end up screwing myself.
Use Keaton. I didn't and I regret it. Niles' kid also isn't very good.

Conquest MVPs that you should def raise:

All royals (Elise replacable by Leo's son later on)
Effie (Human tank)
Niles (Above average unit that works well in a lot of situations, especially as a bow knight)
Charlotte (pair up bot)
Benny (replace with son later)
Kaze (unlike birthright, he's the only ninja)
Keaton

She's like an anime Harley Quinn. It's perfect.
And Harley Quinn is my third favorite character in all of comics, so it all checks out!

Also, I have no idea who to marry Niles off to. I was planning on getting him hitched with Azura because I think they're adorbs together and their C Support was kinda funny, but Niles' C support with Effie was a legitimate riot. Thought it was hysterical. Niles just has fantastic supports... except with poor Mozu, who is a charisma vacuum.

WVW69i_BpTgPO_2I6j

Amazing.

spiritfox

Effie (Human tank)
Niles (Above average unit that works well in a lot of situations, especially as a bow knight)
Charlotte (pair up bot)
Keaton

Nina is pretty great, but it depends on who you marry Niles off to.

My Azura!Nina was MVP in Conquest. She capped Str, Spd and Skl by level 18 promoted. As an Adventurer she had crazy high utility and she got crits often enough that I could use her in combat quite a bit.

SolVanderlyn

Beruka!Nina was really, really bad. Not sure if that's because of her mother, or her RNG growths.

GamerSoul

Effie (Human tank)
Charlotte (pair up bot)
Keaton

I'm definitely going to use Effie and Niles and most of the royals. I'm not a fan of beast units but I'll give him a go. The main problem I had with my Birthright play through was the amount of main units I was using. I didn't have have any character at max level.

Lynx_7

I'm definitely going to use Effie and Niles and most of the royals. I'm not a fan of beast units but I'll give him a go. The main problem I had with my Birthright play through was the amount of main units I was using. I didn't have have any character at max level.

I'm usually not a fan of beast units either but Keaton has quickly turned the game into Keaton Emblem, his dominance on the battlefield is something else. I pretty much never have to worry about him dying. He has amazing bulk, offense, and after you promote and level him up he also auto-heals a buttload of HP at the start of each turn which almost feels broken.
Besides his support convos are pretty funny, specially his psychopathic banther with Peri which is probably the most amusing marriage proposal I've seen. May they bathe in their enemy's blood happily ever after.

Ninferno

I'm usually not a fan of beast units either but Keaton has quickly turned the game into Keaton Emblem, his dominance on the battlefield is something else. I pretty much never have to worry about him dying. He has amazing bulk, offense, and after you promote and level him up he also auto-heals a buttload of HP at the start of each turn which almost feels broken.
Besides his support convos are pretty funny, specially his psychopathic banther with Peri which is probably the most amusing marriage proposal I've seen. May they bathe in their enemy's blood happily ever after.

He lacks ranged attack, which does hold him back a bit (and beast weakness, which normally isn't too much an issue at all). Otherwise, yeah, I agree that he is such a beast (literally?).

SolVanderlyn

Do you feel the same way about Kaden? I stopped using him midway through Birthright, but when I decided to pick up his daughter on a whim before the final chapter, she was WRECKING everything with minimal effort.

I'm also not a fan of beast units, which is why I initially benched them, but they seem to be really good in this game.

Azuran

Banned
And Harley Quinn is my third favorite character in all of comics, so it all checks out!

Also, I have no idea who to marry Niles off to. I was planning on getting him hitched with Azura because I think they're adorbs together and their C Support was kinda funny, but Niles' C support with Effie was a legitimate riot. Thought it was hysterical. Niles just has fantastic supports... except with poor Mozu, who is a charisma vacuum.

WVW69i_BpTgPO_2I6j

Amazing.

I'm pairing him up with Camilla. Niles needs someone that can keep up with him.

demidar

Do you feel the same way about Kaden? I stopped using him midway through Birthright, but when I decided to pick up his daughter on a whim before the final chapter, she was WRECKING everything with minimal effort.

I'm also not a fan of beast units, which is why I initially benched them, but they seem to be really good in this game.

I dunno if I'm just unlucky or not, but about a third of my Kaden level ups only gave him 2 stat ups.

Despite that, he's still fairly tough, but I might sub him out with a kid soon.

Xenoflare

Keaton dishes out crazy damage and can alter between doubling or tanking based on the beast stones he use. Plus he has a 85% HP growth and a skill that replenishes a huge amount of HP on odd numbered turns

Zebetite

Banned
2 questions:

-When does the level 3 rod shop become available in Birthright? I'm literally about to reach level 20 with everyone in Chapter 17 and I'm all out of Master Seals.
-You know those bonuses you get depending on the number of paths you have purchased? Do those reset between playthroughs or can you only get them one time ever?

Just go to someone's castle who has a lv3 shop. Otherwise it unlocks after ch20.

PK Gaming

WVW69i_BpTgPO_2I6j

Amazing.

His grin says it all. Niles is such a good character... and I haven't even played Conquest yet.

kewlmyc

After 82 hours (time flies by when your leveling all of the children to be viable and S Ranking them with each other), I'm done with Revelation.

I loved this game. I wasn't able to finish Awakening but I was able to finish this game. Despite not being recommended, I started this route because I already knew how the other games already ended and their general plot points. I was still able to enjoy the characters and how the story beats played out, and the route reintroduced each character to you so it all worked out. The story was alright, but there were some convenience issues that I won't go into specifics here, even with spoiler tags since like 90% of people haven't beaten Revelation yet. I will just say that the way one family member joins your party comes off as pretty messy compared to the rest of your family members. It also comes at a cost that I wasn't really fond of. Other than that, I did enjoy the story and Corrin wasn't as rage-inducing as I hear s/he is in the Nohr route. Also this route is definitely the true route, there's zero doubt about that after playing it. I will also assume it will be the most satisfying route to play. If I ever replay a route, it's totally going to be this one. Just for the amount of options you have with your units and child units is superior to the routes (it's double the size). The only downside is that a small few units from the other routes aren't available, but it's not big loss.

As for what I personally did in the game, here's my top troops:

Corrin: A strength build with Quixotic+Hoshidan Unity+Swordflaire+Dragon Fang+Lifetaker. I honestly regret getting those skills on him because he became an unstoppable force that broke the game open like a twig. Dragon's Fang nearly every turn, it's amazing. Honestly being able to buy skills really breaks the game, so I stopped doing it halfway through and won't do it in future playthroughs.

Corrin!Shigure and Nyx!Rhajat : Shigure with really high strength, access to both Nohr and Hoshido Noble lines? You had Corrin 2.0 here, and even without Quixotic and Swordflaire, he was a force to be reckoned with, especially teamed up with Nyx!Rhajat, the best caster in the game. She wrecked house with Tomefaire and Calamity Gate tome.

Azura: What do you get when you get Azura "Oni Savage/Oni Chieftain", get all of those skills, then give her Dread Fighter? You get a fighter with the highest skill/crits in the game. Didn't even need to keep her paired with Corrin since both of them just killed everything by themselves. Eventually stopped using both of them until the final 2 levels of the game. Also, the animations for Dread Fight are badass.

Charlotte!Selkie: Everything keeps on dying and she gets her health back by the next turn. Slap Renewal on her and just go to town. Has less to do with her mother than just being a good unit in general. Plus she's adorable.

Camilla!Kiragi: Probably my favorite unit in the game. Didn't even need to add online skills to him for him to be godlike. Sniper class with Bowfaire, Quick Draw, Certain Blow, Savage Blow, and Air Superiority. It means he hits everything. EVERYTHING. If you're on a flying mount, you're more fucked than usual. And if you're not dead after he attacks, you're pretty close to it due to Savage Blow and his wife Mozu!Sophie is going to finish you off. Once I stopped using Corrin/Azura, him and his wife would be in charge of one shotting bosses. Also Camilla and Takumi work great together, in terms of shipping and combat.

So yeah, if you're on the fence with Revelation, get it. With access to nearly every unit in the game, you're in for a really fun time that you can sink tons of hours into. Will definitely be in my top 5 game of the year, and I'm pretty sure it's going to be my top handheld game of the year, which is saying a lot considering Zero Escape 3 comes out this year.

PS: If you don't pair up Subaki and Selena, then you're not playing the game correctly. It's totally worth it just for the exclusive dialogue with her daughter.

PPS: There's also something really thrilling about pairing up the royals of Nohr and Hoshido with each other. Each support I did was fun. Leo and Takumi's supports are hilarious. Also Elsie!Shiro looks goofy as hell with his hair color. Doesn't look right at all, and also makes him kind of meh since he's not a magic user, but whatever.

I've called it Velouria Emblem previously but yes Keaton remained solid too, unlike some other parents in my first Conquest playthrough. And I did indeed marry him to Peri, seemed right. Although, fortunately, Velouria took life lessons from her father and not Peri lol. Either way, Wolfskins are potent and fun units.

Chapter 11 Revelations:
I didn't like this map in Birthright, and I most certainly won't like it here since I'm in the middle instead of the left area now.

Azuran

Banned
Chapter 17 Conquest:

Fuck this entire chapter so much. Fuck it all. Stupid ninjas continue to get constant criticals while everyone keeps missing them even with a 70% hit rate. Their skills are also so freaking annoying too which makes impossible to even tank those pests. Saizo and his stupid ass also keeps getting in the fucking way. Move out of the way you idiot! I have Niles and Kaze so I don't need your useless help.

I rather play Chapter 10 over and over again instead of this crap.

Since most characters in Revelation seem pretty terrible so far, it's been a pleasant surprise to see Oboro be really strong. Even Takumi seems weaker though :(

demidar

I passed down Replicate to Kana, and I only just cottoned on to how ridiculous Replicate can be. Her skill makes her recover 15% of her HP when she has a Dragonstone equipped, so she can recover 30% HP per turn, in addition to extra healing from healing Decant or other sources.

After 82 hours (time flies by when your leveling all of the children to be viable and S Ranking them with each other), I'm done with Revelation.

I loved this game. I wasn't able to finish Awakening but I was able to finish this game. Despite not being recommended, I started this route because I already knew how the other games already ended and their general plot points. I was still able to enjoy the characters and how the story beats played out, and the route reintroduced each character to you so it all worked out. The story was alright, but there were some convenience issues that I won't go into specifics here, even with spoiler tags since like 90% of people haven't beaten Revelation yet. I will just say that the way one family member joins your party comes off as pretty messy compared to the rest of your family members. It also comes at a cost that I wasn't really fond of. Other than that, I did enjoy the story and Corrin wasn't as rage-inducing as I hear s/he is in the Nohr route. Also this route is definitely the true route, there's zero doubt about that after playing it. I will also assume it will be the most satisfying route to play. If I ever replay a route, it's totally going to be this one. Just for the amount of options you have with your units and child units is superior to the routes (it's double the size). The only downside is that a small few units from the other routes aren't available, but it's not big loss.

As for what I personally did in the game, here's my top troops:

Corrin: A strength build with Quixotic+Hoshidan Unity+Swordflaire+Dragon Fang+Lifetaker. I honestly regret getting those skills on him because he became an unstoppable force that broke the game open like a twig. Dragon's Fang nearly every turn, it's amazing. Honestly being able to buy skills really breaks the game, so I stopped doing it halfway through and won't do it in future playthroughs.

Corrin!Shigure and Nyx!Rhajat : Shigure with really high strength, access to both Nohr and Hoshido Noble lines? You had Corrin 2.0 here, and even without Quixotic and Swordflaire, he was a force to be reckoned with, especially teamed up with Nyx!Rhajat, the best caster in the game. She wrecked house with Tomefaire and Calamity Gate tome.

Azura: What do you get when you get Azura "Oni Savage/Oni Chieftain", get all of those skills, then give her Dread Fighter? You get a fighter with the highest skill/crits in the game. Didn't even need to keep her paired with Corrin since both of them just killed everything by themselves. Eventually stopped using both of them until the final 2 levels of the game. Also, the animations for Dread Fight are badass.

Charlotte!Selkie: Everything keeps on dying and she gets her health back by the next turn. Slap Renewal on her and just go to town. Has less to do with her mother than just being a good unit in general. Plus she's adorable.

Camilla!Kiragi: Probably my favorite unit in the game. Didn't even need to add online skills to him for him to be godlike. Sniper class with Bowfaire, Quick Draw, Certain Blow, Savage Blow, and Air Superiority. It means he hits everything. EVERYTHING. If you're on a flying mount, you're more fucked than usual. And if you're not dead after he attacks, you're pretty close to it due to Savage Blow and his wife Mozu!Sophie is going to finish you off. Once I stopped using Corrin/Azura, him and his wife would be in charge of one shotting bosses. Also Camilla and Takumi work great together, in terms of shipping and combat.

So yeah, if you're on the fence with Revelation, get it. With access to nearly every unit in the game, you're in for a really fun time that you can sink tons of hours into. Will definitely be in my top 5 game of the year, and I'm pretty sure it's going to be my top handheld game of the year, which is saying a lot considering Zero Escape 3 comes out this year.

PS: If you don't pair up Subaki and Selena, then you're not playing the game correctly. It's totally worth it just for the exclusive dialogue with her daughter.

PPS: There's also something really thrilling about pairing up the royals of Nohr and Hoshido with each other. Each support I did was fun. Leo and Takumi's supports are hilarious. Also Elsie!Shiro looks goofy as hell with his hair color. Doesn't look right at all, and also makes him kind of meh since he's not a magic user, but whatever.

Awesome impressions! I said I wouldnt start Revelation for a few more days but I couldnt help it. Already in the first two chapters you learn so much more backstory. I really enjoyed chapter 7 too!
Fog of war already!

Top Bottom