• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Well... 58 turns to finish Conquest 23. I spent so many turns trying to properly bait the enemies on the roof so I could pick them off 1 by 1.
My fear of Luna knows no bounds, especially when I am so heavily reliant on Dragon form. Also, my fear of a last minute crit from Takumi on anyone. Turns out my Elise!Ophelia paired up with Elise could have 1 shot Takumi with Lightning from the start, but I never bothered checking until I got fed up with trying to get MC to hit him.

Mozu has been my MVP basically all game with a constant 70% chance to crit (Death Blow + Killer Bow + 37 base skill + skill + 2), and more defence than most of my team (30 at level 20/13). If only there was a non-magical 1-2 bow in Conquest. My Peri, on the other hand, has gotten so screwed on skill (15 at 20/7) so she has trouble hitting much. Found a few iron swords lying around from the lotto, so I made her a +3 Iron Sword to see how much that helps.

Well... 58 turns to finish Conquest 23. I spent so many turns trying to properly bait the enemies on the roof so I could pick them off 1 by 1.
My fear of Luna knows no bounds, especially when I am so heavily reliant on Dragon form. Also, my fear of a last minute crit from Takumi on anyone. Turns out my Elise!Ophelia paired up with Elise could have 1 shot Takumi with Lightning from the start, but I never bothered checking until I got fed up with trying to get MC to hit him.

Mozu has been my MVP basically all game with a constant 70% chance to crit (Death Blow + Killer Bow + 37 base skill + skill + 2), and more defence than most of my team (30 at level 20/13). If only there was a non-magical 1-2 bow in Conquest. My Peri, on the other hand, has gotten so screwed on skill (15 at 20/7) so she has trouble hitting much. Found a few iron swords lying around from the lotto, so I made her a +3 Iron Sword to see how much that helps.

How do other people feel about Mozu?

There seems to be a divide between Fire Emblem players over whether or not the Villager archetype is any good. In Awakening, Donnel was crucial because he created viciously optimized children. So even if his unit didn't have longevity, especially on higher difficulties, his children always did.

Mozu is a different situation because she doesn't have to be anyone's mother. Plus the changes to mechanics mean her Luck stat isn't as useful to pass on.

So, what do we think about Mozu? Is she a good unit or not?

kewlmyc

There seems to be a divide between Fire Emblem players over whether or not the Villager archetype is any good. In Awakening, Donnel was crucial because he created viciously optimized children. So even if his unit didn't have longevity, especially on higher difficulties, his children always did.

Mozu is a different situation because she doesn't have to be anyone's mother. Plus the changes to mechanics mean her Luck stat isn't as useful to pass on.

Worth it just to pass on Aptitude, but yeah. There are better archers in both armies, so she isn't as useful as an unit as Donnel was.

NeonZ

Mozu does have to be someone's mother though, if you want all children. There are just enough women for all male units with children, not counting a possibly male avatar.

Mozu does have to be someone's mother though, if you want all children. There are just enough women for all male units with children, not counting a possibly male avatar.

no she doesn't if you roll with female Corrin

(granted I'm pretty sure Donnel doesn't either but ya know GALEFORCE HYPE)

I've made comments about why Mozu is bad before but just for fun (and because most of your early Revelation units are garbo) I decided to see what happened when given the investment, which ended up being a Heart Seal and ~7 levels.

She still sucked lol, 2 range is pretty worthless when your get all the ninjas and Takumi so early, all of whom can do way more than her, and her stats aren't remarkable at all. She's bad.

Also Revelation 14 WAS THAT A RECRUITMENT CONDITION REVELATION CONFIRMED BEST PATH FIRE EMBLEM NOT DEAD

It's kind of sad that the most interesting recruitment in these three games has been "have a unit on a horse talk to unmounted enemies" though :( At least Tharja and Severa were interesting in Awakening.

Severa is easier than Shiro's, but both are pretty easy.
I haven't seen Shiro's yet so that's promising, but Severa's was at least interesting and unique even if you could cheese it with rescue or whatever. I'm just disappointed that there hasn't been any really interesting unique recruitment conditions in any version. I mean, look at something like Garret in FE6, it's not incredibly difficult but it makes an otherwise kind of bland map a lot more interesting.

I haven't seen Shiro's yet so that's promising, but Severa's was at least interesting and unique even if you could cheese it with rescue or whatever. I'm just disappointed that there hasn't been any really interesting unique recruitment conditions in any version. I mean, look at something like Garret in FE6, it's not incredibly difficult but it makes an otherwise kind of bland map a lot more interesting.

Shiro's is entirely "pull Shiro towards you with Rescue turn 1, then the rest of the map is zzz"

it's "difficult" in the sense that if you're doing it in the lategame he'll literally suicide himself turn 1 but hardly a good map, because having a turn 1 failure state like that as the only source of difficulty is lame

Draxal

Shiro is basically Severa's concept in a desert map except that you have to rescue him on the first turn. Rescue staves break both of those maps.

Anteo

Donnel could solo the last stage of Awakening on hard without grinding, he can even kill the last boss without the Falchion while tanking every enemy around him, he was that broken for the main campaing. He only became irrelevant in the post game and most people dont play that.

Mozu is really different than Donnel, I dont think she fits the Villager archetype even though her class is villager.

- Her initial stats are much much better than Donnel, her class doenst seem to give her irrelevant bases so she doesnt have a hard time leveling up. It makes it super easy to sweep her paralogue with her on hard if you want to feed her exp.

- Aptitude has been nerfed, 10% increased chance (down from 20%) makes it so she doenst get insane level ups as often as Donnel. Her level ups are much more closer to the average, the difference is bigger than you may think.

- The changes on the level ups and reclasing means she doenst get anything from underdog ever, even when reclassing.

She is just an average character with sightly above average growths and great weapon selection with the Master of Arms class, or a good Archer if you reclass. She is not a monster, she wont carry you through the game.

Edit: For some reason I wrote aptitude instead of underdog on the third point

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
So i bought fates conquest and currently training with my brother ontop of a tower which is honestly pretty badass, this game is using alot more 3D than awakening, its still more in a subtle way but its being used alot more.

Lynx_7

My Mozu consistently dishes out more damage than Niles, which is the only other bow user I have. She always gets better level ups on a consistent basis too. Maybe I just lucked out with her but whenever I need to get a unit killed Mozu can generally get it done, while Niles just isn't as reliable. That said her defenses suck on both fronts so she's the very definition of a glass cannon.

It feels like the only dead weight on my team right now is Felicia. Even with the flame shuriken I've gotten to a point where enemies have enough res to tank her attacks. I guess she heals from time to time...

Hugstable

Banned

Mozu is a power goddess. In both games I changed her to Archer right off the bat and didn't deal with the Villager class. In both games she's been practically my strongest non-royal family unit, and is easily the best Archer outside Takumo. She seems to have good defense too at least in my games, and her STR and SPD are also really great, especially with that skill that gives her better growths.

Anteo

I guess Mozu is only dissapointing if you expect another Donnel.
Also, as I said before, my Mozu is so unlucky, the only character that always gets hit by <30% chances.

Wasn't Aptitude nerfed a bit? I could be wrong but I think I read that the rate bonuses it adds to stats during level-ups is lower. If it is that'd probably explain why Mozu has a harder time turning into a killing machine than ol' Donny. There's actually a chance that RNG won't bless her every single time her number is called.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Wasn't Aptitude nerfed a bit? I could be wrong but I think I read that the rate bonuses it adds to stats during level-ups is lower. If it is that'd probably explain why Mozu has a harder time turning into a killing machine than ol' Donny. There's actually a chance that RNG won't bless her every single time her number is called.

Mine became a golden god for about 5 or 6 maps then everyone caught up and RNG started fucking her over.

Anteo

Worse than Arthur who can somehow get a 1% crit to the face?

No no, she has gotten hit by those too. But anyone gets hits by those at one point of another so I dont hold it against her. I just whish she wasnt so fragile that one of these hits ruins the 2 following turns because I have to heal so she can engage in combat again

I mean Ryoma is Invested Donnel except you don't have to spend forever feeding him kills and resources.

Really every character is Invested Donnel though

Oh also does anyone have a suggestion for a good pair up bot for Priestess Sakura?

You mean promoting them, when they reach level 20?

Do I have a choice with that? I just know that some characters benefit from changing classes entirely, like with Mozu. I'm wondering if there are any other characters that definitely benefit from this, or if there's a specific time when this should happen.

Do I have a choice with that? I just know that some characters benefit from changing classes entirely, like with Mozu. I'm wondering if there are any other characters that definitely benefit from this, or if there's a specific time when this should happen.
If you mean promoting, there's no point in not promoting at 20. If you mean reclassing (such as making Mozu go from Villager->Archer) there's no downside to doing it as quickly as possible unless you want skills.

Kiro

That feeling when you forget to switch your paired support units and your unit dies at the end of a long chapter...

Poor Hana. Revelations is no joke.

Insolitus

Banned
That feeling when you forget to switch your paired support units and your unit dies at the end of a long chapter...

Poor Hana. Revelations is no joke.

I literally just had that happen on chapter 13 right at the end, I had Oboro paired up with someone at full HP and she somehow got massacred by a paladin and Master Ninja from across both sides of the map. I only had to kill the boss the next turn and that would have been it.

Andrew J.

I'm deep into Conquest now, and she's been very good for me as a Kinshi Knight.

A bit late to the conversation, but here is my take.

Honestly, like every early recruit, it depends on level ups. Mozu can be great or can horribly suck, it all comes down to rng. In general she should end up better than Niles (better growths before Aptitude) and on Conquest she is one of 2 natural bow users which gives a lot more incentive to use her. On other routes, it comes down to if you want her or not. I personally run multiple archers on my team, since they have always ended up as effective units for me. I also got some pretty awesome level ups for Mozu, who I made an archer early.

Something I never understood is why people think she is a waste of exp. I mean, the argument that the exp is better spent on others always seems odd, when you aren't really starved for exp on any route. Between all of the paralogues and extra events you should be able to raise more units than you need for end game. By Chapter 16 you have all the main characters, and by 19 you have them all, so choosing your final team should be easy enough. Once you choose, there is more than enough exp on the next few main game maps to bring everyone up to snuff. Hell, I have all of the paralogues unlocked and haven't bothered since my levels are keeping up with the end game. As for other arguements, they really seem like preference. I'm not saying people should use her either, just saying that she isn't a bad unit. Dark Mage Odin is a bad unit.

Thinking about it, I also hear people saying Heart Seals are super valuable on Conquest. It makes me wonder what people use them on. I've used 3 the whole game (Chapter 24 now), one on Mozu to Archer and one on Arthur to Cavalier (Don't ask, I thought it was a good idea at the time). Otherwise, I've used one of each dlc seal, and used one on Nyx to test out how some archer levels and skills work on helping her out (Worked great though it did take a bit of babying. Totally worth it now as a Sorcerer and she has Quick Draw). I haven't care to switch anyone else though.

Anybody beat Lunatic Paralogue 15, the one with
Siegbert
in it? I am legit speechless for this chapter, I've been at it practically all day. I'm entirely not sure what I am supposed to do with Master Ninja reinforcements that spawn constantly, ceaselessly, every damn turn.

Dimmle

Mozu has been one of my best and most dependable units in Birthright and Conquest. You can bring her entirely up to speed in the paralogue where she's recruited. It's not an investment.

Kiro

I literally just had that happen on chapter 13 right at the end, I had Oboro paired up with someone at full HP and she somehow got massacred by a paladin and Master Ninja from across both sides of the map. I only had to kill the boss the next turn and that would have been it.

I had Keaton taking out Paladins and Cavaliers all level with Hana. But I was getting some EXP with Hana, and when the Paladins finally got to me I forgot to switch back to Horseslayer Keaton. Chapter 14 Revelations is a long one.

vareon

Finished Birthright 24....the last few chapters are brutal, the paralogues even harder. I really don't know how I'll manage Conquest Hard without pulling my hair lol.

Finished Birthright 24....the last few chapters are brutal, the paralogues even harder. I really don't know how I'll manage Conquest Hard without pulling my hair lol.

I went through Birthright on Hard and felt exactly like you did. Now I'm on Chapter 12 of Conquest, and honestly the difficulty seems about the same in both routes. As long as you go in with the knowledge that you can't grind (without DLC, which I am avoiding), you should have picked up enough to go through it without too much trouble by the time you finish Birthright. Again, I'm only on Chapter 12, but so far it seems to be a lateral move. Even the dreaded chapter 10 wasn't too bad for me coming from Birthright Hard.

rhandino

Banned
Mozu is worthless in Birthright thanks to Takumi and Priesstes Sakura that are more powerfull and/or versatile than her but I CAN see her being usefull in Conquest if there are not enough archers in that route.

Walking garbage can, where the EXP you toss in just turns into trash.
I thought we were talking about Mozu but you are describing Rinkah.

ZAKzwXv.gif

Chapter 10 felt like it was 3 hours long for me lol Manageable but I was paranoid the entire time.

I didn't have any problems on Conquest Ch. 10 for some reason on Normal -- of course, it IS normal, but I was led to believe it was trickier. I mean, it gives you two ballistae and a fire orb, letting you cover every route, and they do enough damage to render enemies dead in one shot if you had decent growths at all. Even the surprise+bum rush is easily taken care of because it comes through both ballistae paths. Effie and Silas were complete meatgrinders. That said, if you want to attack Takumi (1-2 range for some reason), it'd be a sight harder than that...

Mozu has been one of my best and most dependable units in Birthright and Conquest. You can bring her entirely up to speed in the paralogue where she's recruited. It's not an investment.

Ah no wonder. I just talked to her and sent her to a safe corner of the map. I thought she would be way too weak to handle the monsters on her paralogue.

Renewed

Ah no wonder. I just talked to her and sent her to a safe corner of the map. I thought she would be way too weak to handle the monsters on her paralogue.

She's not but you dedicate every enemy possible to her EXP gains by softening the enemies before she comes in with a kill either on her own or with a dual attack.

Kyrios

I didn't have any problems on Conquest Ch. 10 for some reason on Normal -- of course, it IS normal, but I was led to believe it was trickier. I mean, it gives you two ballistae and a fire orb, letting you cover every route, and they do enough damage to render enemies dead in one shot if you had decent growths at all. Even the surprise+bum rush is easily taken care of because it comes through both ballistae paths. Effie and Silas were complete meatgrinders. That said, if you want to attack Takumi (1-2 range for some reason), it'd be a sight harder than that...

Oh let me tell you, Silas, Beruka, and Niles all had sore arms after that battle lol

Top Bottom