• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Thank you, all.

Man. I'm upset there are so few pairing guides for creating optimal child units. The most comprehensive pairing guides so far are for the benefit of the parents, not the children.

Like, who cares about the parents. I want their babies to rock. The children are our future!

But Awakening had pretty clear pairings that let you make perfect children at just the expense of Gerome, but you got a satisfying personality pairing between Cherche and Frederick as a result. The options in Fates don't seem to have clear perfect pairings like they did in Awakening.

You could always use this guide: https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/48u8b4/fe14_optimal_fates_pairings_birthright_conquest/

and this planner:

https://inheritance-planner.herokuapp.com/

You can plan out your kids that way. The optimal pairing guide produces some pretty good kids.

You could always use this guide: https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/48u8b4/fe14_optimal_fates_pairings_birthright_conquest/

and this planner:

https://inheritance-planner.herokuapp.com/

You can plan out your kids that way. The optimal pairing guide produces some pretty good kids.

I'm actually using that guide as a starting point. But the guide is written from the perspective of improving the parent units through S ranks, not to optimize the child units.

I sort of have an idea of who I will pair everyone with, though.

PsionBolt

Man, Conquest 27 is making me groan.
The Entraps aren't consistent (and don't pull my Hoshidan sacrifices like I'd hoped they would), and the skills on the center group are evil (Counter and Magic Counter!? I only have so many archers, here!).
I've yet to make it past turn three or four without a death.

The latest blunder: Selena deciding it's a good idea to kill herself by Rending Heaven against a dork with Counter. Augh.

What's up with these joke weapons? Like chopstick and hairpin?

I picked up a "Paper" with 1 Mt that absolutely destroys enemies and has a 100% hit rate. What's up with that?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Used Exalt's Seal on Caeldori and don't regret it. Lance Lord brings back shades of Ephraim, and she's a good fit for the outfit.

The biggest thing I'm struggling with versus Awakening is that it's not feasible to try to use every unit. Most units will simply be left behind. This makes it hard to experiment with child units.

I'm stressing out because there are a lot of kids and not a lot of chances to discover their strengths.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
And you gimp Tsubaki/Caeldori/ and Selena by doing so.
Not very noticeably. Playing on hard and Selena!Cael is still a very good unit. (Like I said, I did reclass her to Great Lord, however)

To be fair, there are certain children characters that you would need to really try and mess up. (Or good no matter what like Velouria)

Even with a physical oriented mother like Charlotte, Ophelia can be a magical chuuni of doom.

What's the point of the children mechanic in conquest? Considering exp is limited, and the children appear relatively late, isn't it better to keep leveling your existing units and not waste exp on new ones?

Draxal

What's the point of the children mechanic in conquest? Considering exp is limited, and the children appear relatively late, isn't it better to keep leveling your existing units and not waste exp on new ones?

Offspring seals level them up immediately to playable units and they also give maps to get xp for your other units.

People keep linking this to me. O.O

But this thread is explicitly for optimal pairings that benefit the parents stats/class options. It does not often take children into account, and when it does, not in depth.

It's a great starting point, yeah, but it's a far cry from the amount of documentation Awakening had/has. There are no recommendations for which skills to pass down, why which parent creates a better child, or what your options are if you married an optimal parent to somebody else.

I mean, there's some information. It's still a great deal more than nothing. But it doesn't even have Corrin or any of the other stuff I am looking for.

People keep linking this to me. O.O

But this thread is explicitly for optimal pairings that benefit the parents stats/class options. It does not often take children into account, and when it does, not in depth.

It's a great starting point, yeah, but it's a far cry from the amount of documentation Awakening had/has. There are no recommendations for which skills to pass down, why which parent creates a better child, or what your options are if you married an optimal parent to somebody else.

I mean, there's some information. It's still a great deal more than nothing. But it doesn't even have Corrin or any of the other stuff I am looking for.

because nobody gives a shit

I'm serious

because nobody gives a shit

I'm serious

Why did people stop caring about this between Awakening and Fates, then? Let's not pretend that the eugenic element wasn't an insanely popular part of the last game. Enough to be in THIS game. So all the community effort and debate over how to make perfect units has simply... stopped? Leaving only me?

Neol

Yea the children aspect in this game is bleh and in due so no one really cares.

The fact you can also just buy skills from other castles takes away the whole passing down skill aspect.

Draxal

Because kids aren't nearly as broken in this game compared to Awakening, passing skill down doesn't matter in a game where you can buy almost every skill online as Noel mentioned as well.

Children not being important to the story is the reason I don't bother with them.

I've only recurited Kana ever, I don't even know what the other kids paralouges look like

Yea the children aspect in this game is bleh and in due so no one really cares.

The fact you can also just buy skills from other castles takes away the whole passing down skill aspect.

What is this skill-buying aspect you speak of?

Because kids aren't nearly as broken in this game compared to Awakening.

Truth. I guess I get that. It's hard to break the habit because, in theory, child units should be better versions of their parents. So figuring out which units you can make quickly and put to use is something that interests me greatly.

Why did people stop caring about this between Awakening and Fates, then? Let's not pretend that the eugenic element wasn't an insanely popular part of the last game. Enough to be in THIS game. So all the community effort and debate over how to make perfect units has simply... stopped? Leaving only me?
It's because kids aren't as broken as Awakening. There are some kids who are better than their parents, but the majority are not. Skills are also a lot easier to get.

How do you get skills more easily? I haven't encountered that yet.
In the my castle visit other people castles, beat them with no handicap and you can buy skills

Just search for most visit castles and you see a bunch with names like EasySeize Skills.
There basically their for your get skills, but it breaks the game

Chapter 10 of Revelation was awesome. Very creative.

Shame about Izana. Dude was cool and hilarious right until he died. I guess this was the recruitment that people were pretty upset with since there was no reason for Izana to die in order for Takumi to join.

Chapter 10 of Revelation was awesome. Very creative.

Shame about Izana. Dude was cool and hilarious right until he died. I guess this was the recruitment that people were pretty upset with since there was no reason for Izana to die in order for Takumi to join.

lol wtf you like the maps that everyone else hates

Finished Birthright and just started Conquest. Man, did choosing Nohr over the family I just spent the past month with feel wrong. Even the way I accidentally saved over my Hoshido file felt symbolic, in a way.

Also, the first map kicked my butt. In the end, only Corrin was left standing.

Holy shit that Debuff.

Office%20Lens%2020160313-232439.jpg

I haven't finished Conquest, but I HAVE started Birthright. My God Chapter 6 is so much easier on Birthright. My Corrin (female this time) killed everyone EXCEPT Xander because he decided to suicide himself on Ryoma's blade.

SolVanderlyn

Children are great, you guys. Not being broken like in Awakening is a plus. They're very solid units and some of them have great personalities. Not to mention that if you recruit them late in the game, they're an instant high level addition to your army.

Must get children:

Ignatius (Benny)
Rhajat (Hayato)
Ophelia (Odin) (Redeems Odin's terribleness)
Velouria (Keaton)
Kana (Corrin) (Makes an EXCELLENT Dread Fighter)

Nice to have:

Soleil (Laslow)
Sophie (Silas)
Shiro (Ryoma)
Hisame (Hinata)
Siegbert (Xander)
Caeldori (Subaki)

Give or take:

Asugi (Saizo)
Midori (Kaze)
Selkie (Kaden) (Actually a very good unit that I personally hate, so down the tiers she goes)
Forrest (Leo)
Shigure (Azura)
Kiragi (Takumi)

Meh:

Percy (Arthur)
Nina (Niles)
Dwyer (Jakob)
Mitama (Azama)

benny's kid is terrible cause benny is terrible
lol at using hayato in hoshido without grinding
percy is one of the best kids in nohr thanks to flying and really easy to get early
nina is great thanks to her class and late nohr having nothing but ninjas
dywer is good if you start as a female cause early butler and there's nothing bad about having a second mounted healer

Draxal

Percy will usually have Effie as his mom and thus have great mods. Caeldori and Shigure are top tier as well, just to class alone.

SolVanderlyn

benny's kid is terrible cause benny is terrible
lol at using hayato in hoshido without grinding
percy is one of the best kids in nohr thanks to flying and really easy to get early
nina is great thanks to her class and late nohr having nothing but ninjas
dywer is good if you start as a female cause early butler and there's nothing bad about having a second mounted healer
Benny is bad, but pair him up with Camilla and Ignatius will become an nigh untouchable tank, even as a Great Knight, and he'll damage everyone around him at the end of his turn. Hayato likewise isn't very good, but Rhajat is everything that he isn't.

I just don't like Percy, lol. Such a stupid idea for a character. Nina I keep hearing good things about, and I even used her up until endgame in Conquest (Adventurer), but she sucked.

SolVanderlyn

How can you hate something that's related to Arthur?
Oh, Arthur is amazing. Personality wise, anyway. Percy can't hope to live up to his father.

The mask was dumb with Gerome in Awakening, and it's even dumber on a little kid.

Revelation 12

Uh any tips for this?
How do I get off and on boats? Enemies have no problem getting on and I'm just stuck on a ship.

Top Bottom