• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Two units paired together as one which prevents partner attacks.

Ohhhh

Problem with that is I'm getting completely overwhelmed on the first half map and barely have enough soldiers as is. I'll get circled by the cavaliers and they'll target/kill one of my units if I let anyone live.

I'll try it when I get in the castle though.

Ohhhh

Problem with that is I'm getting completely overwhelmed on the first half map and barely have enough soldiers as is. I'll get circled by the cavaliers and they'll target/kill one of my units if I let anyone live.

I'll try it when I get in the castle though.

How do you change stances? I didn't even realize there was a guard/attack stance.

demidar

How do you change stances? I didn't even realize there was a guard/attack stance.

Pairing up prevents enemy dual attacks. If neither forces are paired up, but have a supporting partner, dual attacks happen for both forces.

If you're forming a chokepoint with an armoured unit, pair them up to cut the potential damage they take by 1/3.

Also Counter sucks when you forget to check out the enemy skills and you impale yourself. The trick to Counter is that it doesn't trigger if the attack kills, so weaken archers with Counter with ranged units, then move in to kill with melee units.

Hazmat

Question - I'm nearly done with Birthright and kinda feel like I'm going to be Fire Emblem-ed out for a while. I might (not sure yet) want to sell the game but I don't want to lose my save data/post-game stuff in case I want to go back and play Conquest and Revelations later. Can I keep all that without having to have the physical copy of Birthright?

It saves to the game card, so I can't imagine that you could sell it and keep anything. If you think you'll play the other paths at some point you should keep it, then you could buy the other paths for $20 (but will still need the physical version of Birthright).

Pairing up prevents enemy dual attacks. If neither forces are paired up, but have a supporting partner, dual attacks happen for both forces.

If you're forming a chokepoint with an armoured unit, pair them up to cut the potential damage they take by 1/3.

Also Counter sucks when you forget to check out the enemy skills and you impale yourself. The trick to Counter is that it doesn't trigger if the attack kills, so weaken archers with Counter with ranged units, then move in to kill with melee units.

I think I understand: so Paired Units receive the defensive potential and two adjacent units will dual attack? Awakening was auto-pilot insta-kills with paired units.

demidar

I think I understand: so Paired Units receive the defensive potential and two adjacent units will dual attack? Awakening was auto-pilot insta-kills with paired units.

Yep. If you pair up, you don't have access to dual attacks, instead protecting yourself and building up the Guard Gauge (the 10 armour pips under the unit's name). Each attack and hit taken increases the pips by 2, and after you get 10 your partner will automatically block the next attack from the main enemy attacker (which includes attacks that deal 0 damage, causing you to waste the Dual Guard).

Jims

Finished Birthright. Took me longer than expected, as the final chapter was a much longer marathon than expected. Really good game overall. The new classes in Hoshido really give the Fire Emblem formula a new look.

Hinoka & Kaze ended up being my MVP duo, being the crazy dodge tanks and mage-killers they are toward the end of the game. Silas & Rinkah finished second being the regular defense tanks (although Silas got swapped for his daughter late-game). I think Kaden ended up with the most individual victories, though.

But oh my gosh is Takumi's kid a freak of nature. Good damage output and enough speed to basically double everyone. Give him a Silver Bow and watch him critical every other turn. He and his dad wrecked everyone they saw in the last three chapters.

PBalfredo

Whoa, Scarlet only supports with Corrin, period?! When people were mentioning her being a "Corrin-sexual" I thought that meant she can only S-rank with Corrin. But her not being able to get support boosts from anyone else on the battlefield is a major bummer. Especially since she's really cool, both as a tanky flier and as a much-needed axe-user since Rinkah continues to disappoint. I'll still user her, but that's a bummer.

I wanted to hook her up with Ryoma :(

Whoa, Scarlet only supports with Corrin, period?! When people were mentioning her being a "Corrin-sexual" I thought that meant she can only S-rank with Corrin. But her not being able to get support boosts from anyone else on the battlefield is a major bummer. Especially since she's really cool, both as a tanky flier and as a much-needed axe-user since Rinkah continues to disappoint. I'll still user her, but that's a bummer.

I wanted to hook her up with Ryoma :(

The characters with only Corrin as a support pretty much get benched with me. Characters like Reina and Scarlet may be good units but the lack of support conversations don't give me an incentive to use them.

Me too man, me too.

The game makes that clear but... I just have a hard time leaving all that loot and EXP. :/

EDIT: I want to atleast get that dracoshield before I dip...

I defeated
Xander
on Hard using the Dragonstone after hitting him with Kaze. I did also get a Dragon Fang, but that just let me avoid using Azura to attack him again.

Pro Tip:
You can fly Corrin over to the other side, and Xander's group will advance that way. Then just fly back to the other side and they will travel back that way. So you can get more EXP and the chest by making the group chase Corrin.

You know what would be really interesting.

We all know the brand from Awakening, and it's implied that Hoshido and Nohr are in the distant past.

What if Marth wasn't the initial possessor of the brand, but he was the exalt and history confused it for his lineage when in fact someone from Odin/Ophelia's line married someone from Marth's line and succeeded the brand that way.

Time loop anyone?

6 percent crit

CRIT ON A 6% CHANCE

ON THE LAST FUCKING ENEMY

Nope. That's it. I'm convinced this game doesn't want me to keep going. I lost to RNG. I'm done. I spent all fucking day on this chapter only to lose for the 8th time. Fuck everything.

Is it me or does Revelations has kind of a pacing problem?

I'm at chapter 9 and all my units seem really weak in comparison to the enemy units where as my Corrin is an absolute beast at level 14 already. I haven't grinded or anything yet but it looks like I may have to.

The worst part of this fucking chapter is that the inside of the castle is so easy because of the dragon veins, but everytime an enemy even so much as touches me it's a fucking crit and I die to RNG. It's infuriating when I finally put together a good strategy but just lose because the numbers keep deciding to fuck me.

God fucking damn it.

PBalfredo

The characters with only Corrin as a support pretty much get benched with me. Characters like Reina and Scarlet may be good units but the lack of support conversations don't give me an incentive to use them.

Me too man, me too.

Scarlet and Ryoma will always be a badass power couple in my heart

In Birthright chapter 15, my aerial strike team of Hinoka, Reina and Scarlet was essential to swiftly engaging enemies over mountainous terrain and keeping them from swarming my main force. Shame that none of them could support each other. Where my Triangle Attacks at?

L95

You know what would be really interesting.

We all know the brand from Awakening, and it's implied that Hoshido and Nohr are in the distant past.

What if Marth wasn't the initial possessor of the brand, but he was the exalt and history confused it for his lineage when in fact someone from Odin/Ophelia's line married someone from Marth's line and succeeded the brand that way.

Time loop anyone?

Uhh... Marth was never an Exalt? He also never had a brand in the first place, as far as I know.... Awakening's vague exalt figure wasn't Marth "The First Exalt" is just some dude who we don't know the name of that came after Marth.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
In Birthright chapter 15, my aerial strike team of Hinoka, Reina and Scarlet was essential to swiftly engaging enemies over mountainous terrain and keeping them from swarming my main force. Shame that none of them could support each other. Where my Triangle Attacks at?
Kind of wish Subaki had two blue and green haired brothers to complete the archetype reversal.

Birthright 22

So, uh
Does the fact Shura helped kidnap Azura come up again or is it basically pointless? They don't share a support conversation and that's a pretty big detail all things considered.
Unless they mention it in his support with Corrin, it never comes up again in Birthright. Not sure about the other routes, but I doubt it does.

I defeated
Xander
on Hard using the Dragonstone after hitting him with Kaze. I did also get a Dragon Fang, but that just let me avoid using Azura to attack him again.

Pro Tip:
You can fly Corrin over to the other side, and Xander's group will advance that way. Then just fly back to the other side and they will travel back that way. So you can get more EXP and the chest by making the group chase Corrin.
Didn't know that. I'll use that to my advantage then. Thanks!
My approach is to use Hinoka to take out the archer with the dracoshield, then, use rescue staff to get her out.
I was thinking to try a snatch and run tactic too.

Brakke

Banned
Holy Christ this lava level in Birthright is a nightmare. If you flood an area with lava... is that just it? Is there any way out of that? It seems like if you Dragonvein by the orb the statue holds it'll be the path. But is there any reason to do the lava side?

Hazmat

Holy Christ this lava level in Birthright is a nightmare. If you flood an area with lava... is that just it? Is there any way out of that? It seems like if you Dragonvein by the orb the statue holds it'll be the path. But is there any reason to do the lava side?

It spawns enemies for several turns (I think out of the holes), but eventually the Dragon Vein for the bridge will come back. The lava stays though. It sucks.

The right dragon vein is always on the same side as the orb in the statue.

This chapter is a bitch for healers lol. Xander missed a 90% hit and
that Nine tails with pass ability
almost killed Elise with 2 hp left remaining. Thank God you ate your meal Elise.

massoluk

Banned
This chapter is a bitch for healers lol. Xander missed a 90% hit and
that Nine tails with pass ability
almost killed Elise with 2 hp left remaining. Thank God you ate your meal Elise.

I just couldn't get pass that middle group, every time I thought I got it, some bastards pull the B's leaf move and murder my little guys.

3 days in this chapter. Many humble pies served. It will take me until Christmas to finish Hard Conquest at this rate. Tempted to move to normal so I can get on with Birthright and Revelation

Javier

Paralogue 7 was absolute hell. ON NORMAL.

SHIRO WHY ARE YOU COMMITTING SUICIDE. I'M JUST TRYING TO RECRUIT YOU.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Chapter 19 of Rev. I have a metric shit ton of paralogues sitting there. Maybe I should do some of them before they get ridiculously hard.

Camilla!Shiro is canon to me (at least in this route)

Xenoflare

Silas is at 41HP at level 10 as a Paladin.

Last playthrough he was at 40HP at 20/20 paladin with a help with a seraph robe.

Xander now had me to reset twice to ensure that he gets HP growth, right now he's sitting at level 13 with 43.

RNG and OCD does not go well together.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
^I beat Birthright and Conquest in less than 40 combined hours, what is going on? Guess I should do most of the side content and more supports in Revelation, which I've just started.

SolVanderlyn

Just started Conquest, feels weird to betray Hoshido after I spent 40 hours with them...
I wouldn't click this spoiler, but anyone who's finished both main routes can:

Playing Conquest first has to have bigger shock value in regards to seeing how your family treats you from the other side. Conquest feels more like a continuation of Corrin's life as he already knows it, and the siblings on Hoshido side more or less remain in the same position as they were when they first met you: they just want you to come home. In this way, they never really feel like antagonists. On the other hand, choosing to betray Nohr seems to deeply hurt your Nohrian family, and they feel much more hostile throughout the course of the game, especially Xander. It must be a big turn coming from his Conquest self, which is so helpful and loving. Leo is kind a jerk in both routes, but he is also very antagonistic for most of Birthright, as well. Takumi may be the final boss of Conquest, but it's not really him, whereas Xander, Leo, and, to a lesser extent, Camilla, are all out to get you because you broke their heart. And I mean get you as in kill you, not bring you home like your Hoshidan family is trying to do during Conquest.

Fire Emblem Birthright Chapter 15

If I had known Kaze was gonna die here i wouldn't have restarted chapter 14 right at the end when he died smh.

yami4ct

The final 2 chapters of Birthright are back to back no save marathons? I do not like it. Not one bit. Seems like a cheap BS way to add fake difficulty. Not letting me save at all just isn't a fun way to make the last chapter exciting.

L95

The final 2 chapters of Birthright are back to back no save marathons? I do not like it. Not one bit. Seems like a cheap BS way to add fake difficulty. Not letting me save at all just isn't a fun way to make the last chapter exciting.

I have to agree, I didn't mind it when the second part was just a boss rush (like the GBA FEs) but Fates doesn't do that <.<

Rainy

Banned
^I beat Birthright and Conquest in less than 40 combined hours, what is going on? Guess I should do most of the side content and more supports in Revelation, which I've just started.

I wouldn't click this spoiler, but anyone who's finished both main routes can:

Playing Conquest first has to have bigger shock value in regards to seeing how your family treats you from the other side. Conquest feels more like a continuation of Corrin's life as he already knows it, and the siblings on Hoshido side more or less remain in the same position as they were when they first met you: they just want you to come home. In this way, they never really feel like antagonists. On the other hand, choosing to betray Nohr seems to deeply hurt your Nohrian family, and they feel much more hostile throughout the course of the game, especially Xander. It must be a big turn coming from his Conquest self, which is so helpful and loving. Leo is kind a jerk in both routes, but he is also very antagonistic for most of Birthright, as well. Takumi may be the final boss of Conquest, but it's not really him, whereas Xander, Leo, and, to a lesser extent, Camilla, are all out to get you because you broke their heart. And I mean get you as in kill you, not bring you home like your Hoshidan family is trying to do during Conquest.

I will read that spoiler after I finish Conquest then hah. Already starting to enjoy the Nohr characters though.

And I did do some challenges as well as all of the paralogues so that might have factored into my time.

yami4ct

I have to agree, I didn't mind it when the second part was just a boss rush (like the GBA FEs) but Fates doesn't do that <.<

Screwed up my first go round of Endgame because I was playing it like it was any other chapter (IE, trying to spread EXP and level characters). Obviously I should be rushing the boss.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Wow, end of conquest 10 (hard) got pretty dicey on the right half. I got kind of lucky. I accidentally put a unit on the wrong spot, but an archer missed what would have been a one hit kill and a subsequent reset. Glad to be done with that one in a few tries.

Got my butt kicked on my first attempt in Conquest 12. It doesn't seem TOO bad, but I've been wrong before. Really interesting to see that it's kind of the complete opposite of Conquest 10.

Also Peri is omg amazing

Van

thinking of getting this since i just got a New Nintendo 3DS XL and got pokemon x and monster hunter ultimate 4, is there a nintendo gaf mega thread or somthing i can check out?:D

Top Bottom