• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Revelation 18 but spoilers for all three paths
Man the deaths in all three of these games are so random, it's like the only one that made sense was Ryoma and that's only because of the stupid contrived situation to get there. Izana just like randomly dies, Scarlet randomly dies, Lilith randomly dies twice (and will probably randomly die a third time. Azura's death in Birthright made sense but what happened in Conquest, she didn't even really use the song all that much. People just die and it happens randomly and without any real narrative buildup or importance.

well, at least Lilith doesn't die a pointless death in Revelation! in fact I'm pretty sure she's never mentioned ever again LOL

kewlmyc

Revelation 18 but spoilers for all three paths
Man the deaths in all three of these games are so random, it's like the only one that made sense was Ryoma and that's only because of the stupid contrived situation to get there. Izana just like randomly dies, Scarlet randomly dies, Lilith randomly dies twice (and will probably randomly die a third time. Azura's death in Birthright made sense but what happened in Conquest, she didn't even really use the song all that much. People just die and it happens randomly and without any real narrative buildup or importance.

There's at least a plot reason for Scarlet's death later on that's kinda interesting.

CazTGG

Okay, maybe this is just me, but between these three paths, Fates has way more characters with only one support conversation than there have been with previous games. Sure, some characters would have more than others, but I can't recall any character from FE 6-9 who only had a single support conversation, the least tending to be the dragon/dragon-like characters a la Myrrh and Ninian but even they have a handful of supports to read through.

JulianImp

You get them from your Castle's Crystal Ball Bonuses, and you can get all the items again in each new save, so there's no worry about only 1 file getting them and done

Thanks! I have the unhealthy tendency to hoard one-use items for that one time I might need them in that never comes, so knowing I don't have to worry about misusing them and having them be gone for good is reassuring.

By the way, what was that about free DLC missions I heard? In case it matters (because it probably does), I have a digital JP copy and bought the other two routes when they were on sale last month.

Anteo

Owain Dark is still the best character in the series. Screw IS for doing everything in their power to try and sabotage his viability for two games straight.

I like Owain, but they really doubled down on his "dark" persona thing for this game. Not that I dislike it but I wanst expecting it, or maybe is just that we got to see him like that in many more supports than before.

Laslow actually got some compliments and even some tea in some of his supports which I found amuzing.

I was trying to figure out who to S rank azura to on birthright, this made it easy

It actually made me regret pairing Azura and Laslow a bit.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Owain was great, but I have no idea why they randomly changed him to a mage in this game.

Anteo

Owain was great, but I have no idea why they randomly changed him to a mage in this game.

I think it is an inside joke, in Awakening his growths made a great Dark Mage but he starts as a Swordman, in this game his growths make a great Swordman but he starts as a Dark Mage.

Doing Selkie's Paralogue and I forgot to
bring Orochi with me so I can cpature Daichi
, I already saved /finished this chapter.

Are capture units any good?

Having no supports and the inability to reclass makes me wonder it it's worth capturing them.

I did grab Candace because I like her a lot, but not having any means to interact with her is pretty disappointing.

Lunar15

I really think bringing back Awakening characters was lame to begin with, but there's plenty of characters so I'm not too upset.

Squire

Banned

He's undercover. The fact he's better once you heart seal to Samurai is kind of cool as a meta thing that plays into it.

I think it is an inside joke, in Awakening his growths made a great Dark Mage but he starts as a Swordman, in this game his growths make a great Swordman but he starts as a Dark Mage.

Could be that, too.

I really think bringing back Awakening characters was lame to begin with, but there's plenty of characters so I'm not too upset.

I think it's kind of lame on paper, but I'm impressed by how committed they are to it, while not being obvious about it.

Selena/Niles C support is
Niles being suspicious of her because there's no record of her existence prior to serving Camillia. You know there's something to it because she has no comeback.

That's cool. I mean, I played Awakening, but they do it with a seriousness and subtlety I can't help but respect.

Are capture units any good?

Having no supports and the inability to reclass makes me wonder it it's worth capturing them.

I did grab Candace because I like her a lot, but not having any means to interact with her is pretty disappointing.

some bosses/generics in Conquest are actually fairly good for their skills

otherwise, from a gameplay perspective no

The ones they brought back aren't my favorite ones. But I have found that, overall, Awakening's characters were stronger and had better chemistry than many of the characters in Fates. Awakening's characters had very thoughtful characterization that made their supports really interesting. Lots of supports in Fates are so generic that they could happen between two completely different characters and not need to be changed.

So, while I don't mind that they brought back some Awakening characters, I wish Fates characters were just as good as Awakening.

I feel this is a Hint at a Awakening sequel or Prequel.

Or the logical answer, fan service.
The ones they brought back aren't my favorite ones. But I have found that, overall, Awakening's characters were stronger and has better chemistry than many of the characters in Fates. Awakening's characters had very thoughtful characterization that made their supports really interesting. Lots of supports in Fates are so generic that they could happen between two completely different characters and not need to be changed.

So, while I don't mind that they brought back some Awakening characters, I wish Fates characters were just as good as Awakening.

I liked Fates supports much better, I found awakenings to be mostly generic, In fact I felt that Lon'qu was best written character in the game and he doesnt seem to be popular.
However, this based mostly on Conquest characters

Lunar15

The ones they brought back aren't my favorite ones. But I have found that, overall, Awakening's characters were stronger and had better chemistry than many of the characters in Fates. Awakening's characters had very thoughtful characterization that made their supports really interesting. Lots of supports in Fates are so generic that they could happen between two completely different characters and not need to be changed.

I found Awakening's supports to be way more vapid than the stuff I've encountered in Conquest so far. Awakening's supports actually really bothered me, and I've found these to be better written overall.

Draxal

I feel this is a Hint at a Awakening sequel or Prequel.

Or the logical answer, fan service.

I really don't like the multiverse that they're going on right now, but it is what it is.

I found Awakening's supports to be way more vapid than the stuff I've encountered in Conquest so far. Awakening's supports actually really bothered me, and I've found these to be better written overall.

I think Awakening and Conquest have a lot of vapid stuff, it's just utterly dependent if a character's schtick clicks with you or not.

This is definitely how I feel, most of the characters feel much less LOL WACKY GIMMICK and have a lot more history with each other that leads to good stuff.

Squire

Banned
Maybe Conquest is better than Birthright. I'll reserve t judgment until then.

Conquest's cast is more immediately intriguing and likable, but I don't think any of the characters in Fates are generic or one-dimensional. Everyone seems to have an outward, obvious quirk and something underneath it that you figure out and see more of throughout their supports.

Lunar15

This is definitely how I feel, most of the characters feel much less LOL WACKY GIMMICK and have a lot more history with each other that leads to good stuff.

While I didn't love most of the supports between Arthur and Effie, I did enjoy the marriage scene because it tied into Effie's relationship with Elise that's explored in that convo.

I do still wish these supports would go a bit deeper into Nohr, given how oppressive it seems. Support convos in older games were a good chance to flesh out the world at least slightly in a few of the supports. Awakening had none of that, conquest has a bit more of it, but neither really hit that world-building itch like PoR's did.

There's just so much we don't know about Nohr or Hoshido and it's never really fleshed out in the game.

While I didn't love most of the supports between Arthur and Effie, I did enjoy the marriage scene because it tied into Effie's relationship with Elise that's explored in that convo.

I do still wish these supports would go a bit deeper into Nohr, given how oppressive it seems. Support convos in older games were a good chance to flesh out the world at least slightly in a few of the supports. Awakening had none of that, conquest has a bit more of it, but neither really hit that world-building itch like PoR's did.

POR had no marriage, maybe thats why.

Also some reference battles and had battle requirements to unlock, so if the future games want these type of supports they need to drop being able to max supports in just 4 battles

I liked Fates supports much better, I found awakenings to be mostly generic, In fact I felt that Lon'qu was best written character in the game and he doesnt seem to be popular.
However, this based mostly on Conquest characters

Lon'qu and Panne were the two best developed characters in Awakening. They also made an excellent couple with an excellent son.

Neither of these characters are very popular. But that doesn't change the quality of their characterization.

And yes, as others have said, many Awakening characters had a major defining gimmick. But this at least gave them context for their conversations and character development. Many of of Fates' characters, at least in Birthright, are extremely vanilla. That's why their conversations come across as interchangeable.

But let's see how good Conquest is.

Lon'qu and Panne were the two best developed characters in Awakening. They also made an excellent couple with an excellent son.

Neither of these characters are very popular. But that doesn't change the quality of their characterization.

And yes, as others have said, many Awakening characters had a major defining gimmick. But this at least gave them context for their conversations and character development. Many of of Fates' characters, at least in Birthright, are extremely vanilla. That's why their conversations come across as interchangeable.

Characters in Conquest get very personal, I think you might like those more.

It's nice that Birthright has a bunch of normal people. The gimmicks are really dumb. Like Setsuna and the stupid falling into traps thing. Or Felicia's klutz act.

Lunar15

Eh, I don't think marriage matters, since that's never brought up until the 4th convo anyway. There's 3 convos there to talk about other stuff.

I mean, support convos have never been these super eloquent things. PoR had tons of pretty forgettable convos, as did SS and Rekka. But they usually did have some note of world building that I liked.

It's less the supports themselves and more that neither Awakening nor Fates bothered to flesh out their worlds so that they feel like believable places that you could feasibly see any of these characters living in. Because they don't have that base, they focus on character quirks. Fates adds the fact that most of the characters are retainers to the royalty, which adds some new dynamics because it aligns them to a faction and ties them directly to at least two other characters (the other retainer and the royal they protect).

Think about it, Arthur acts like a superhero and upholder of justice, but Nohr seems like a pretty dark, opressive place that's generally fighting for evil gain. Why would this guy be down for all this? Maybe he helps the oppressed in Nohr? Maybe he finds Elise to be a beacon of justice in a dark place? Who knows, it's not explored. As a result, he just seems like a guy who doesn't fit in the environment he was raised in.

DPtheGod

Hey guys, for Birthright,
how is the story impacted if I decide to have the Avatar marry Azura? I am in chapter 9.

All those rumors of Nintendo licensing their ips for Movies, and I realize that Awakening would actually make a decent movie with a competent writer to clean up Awakenings script.

Lon'qu was the 5th most popular guy in Awakening, he's uh pretty popular

King Fost

Neo Member
some bosses/generics in Conquest are actually fairly good for their skills

otherwise, from a gameplay perspective no

Haitaka is particularly notable because he has great bases, a good class line, a good skill, and his growths are on par with Camilla's. His main weakness is he can't support but he's genuinely one of the better units in Conquest.

On another note, it's kind of odd how much detail they added to Saizo, giving him the spotlight in a Conquest chapter, unique boss dialogue with Kotaro (mainly if Saizo kills Kotaro) and an actually somewhat detailed backstory (relative to the rest of the cast), but I'm glad they did because Saizo is the man. I wish they did more with Shura too because he's actually rather interesting and has a good design and personality. Ah well.

About to pick this up, quick question though.

What is Revelation's length in comparison to the two regular games? And what is its structure like compared to them as well?

About to pick this up, quick question though.

What is Revelation's length in comparison to the two regular games? And what is its structure like compared to them as well?
Varied mission objectives (though more like gimmick hell), heavier emphasis on strong enemies, but also grinding. The unit balance is also terrible, royals are >>>>> everyone else and you get eight instead of four of them this time.

Fuck Intelligent Systems for all the Ryoma / Scarlet ship teasing. Its criminal they made Scarlet Corrinsexual.

Kinda big Revelation spoilers
Fuck them even more for killing Scarlet in Revelation :mad:

Brakke

Banned
So what's the difference between NG and Branch of Fate, aside from skipping the first few missions? I want to change Corrin's gender for the other campaign.

Brakke

Banned
when is a good time to grind supports in birthright?

Child missions, tbh. Around mission 11 or 12, I got my first child. Then I pretty much just played child missions for a while, each mission I'd unlock a new S and chain to the next mission.

You get your last non-Corrinsexual character after mission 13, so maybe that's the best time to dive in on kidmissions.

Top Bottom