• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

rhandino

Banned
It's less the supports themselves and more that neither Awakening nor Fates bothered to flesh out their worlds so that they feel like believable places that you could feasibly see any of these characters living in. Because they don't have that base, they focus on character quirks. Fates adds the fact that most of the characters are retainers to the royalty, which adds some new dynamics because it aligns them to a faction and ties them directly to at least two other characters (the other retainer and the royal they protect).

Think about it, Arthur acts like a superhero and upholder of justice, but Nohr seems like a pretty dark, opressive place that's generally fighting for evil gain. Why would this guy be down for all this? Maybe he helps the oppressed in Nohr? Maybe he finds Elise to be a beacon of justice in a dark place? Who knows, it's not explored. As a result, he just seems like a guy who doesn't fit in the environment he was raised in.
Some supports do that like Rinkah supports that explore aspects of the Flame Tribe, Kaze/Saizo support deal with their past and some hidden war drama, Hayato supports almost always are him talking about traditions of the Wind Tribe and Orochi/Ryoma and Orochi/Kamui in which Orochi talks about Queen Mikoto.

Speaking of, I liked how many supports mention other characters and even foreshadow some things that are explained in other supports like Kagero paintings which are alluded in the Ryoma/Orochi support and fully expanded in the Hinata/Kagero support and the story about Sakura getting lost in a forest being talked in the Sakura/Hana but also alluded in other.

I really need to finish Birthright but Chapter 23 is making me almost cry (stupid critical hits)

Fuck Intelligent Systems for all the Ryoma / Scarlet ship teasing. Its criminal they made Scarlet Corrinsexual.

Kinda big Revelation spoilers
Fuck them even more for killing Scarlet in Revelation :mad:

Curse myself for not reading those big bold letters. Is there any way to avoid this cruel fate?

Balphon

Child missions, tbh. Around mission 11 or 12, I got my first child. Then I pretty much just played child missions for a while, each mission I'd unlock a new S and chain to the next mission.

You get your last non-Corrinsexual character after mission 13, so maybe that's the best time to dive in on kidmissions.

Jakob/Felicia
will not join until after chapter 15.

Likewise, children start joining with offspring seals after chapter 18, so that may be the best time to recruit them.

Question: my Caeldori is level 18 from recruitment. I had wanted to reclass her to a Spear Fighter for the skills, but I just learned the reclass doesn't set the level back to 0. Is it impossible for Caeldori to get the Spear Fighter skills since she is already beyond the levels you earn them at?

Or can I reclass her at 18 and gain a level and get them?

Balphon

Question: my Caeldori is level 18 from recruitment. I had wanted to reclass her to a Spear Fighter for the skills, but I just learned the reclass doesn't set the level back to 0. Is it impossible for Caeldori to get the Spear Fighter skills since she is already beyond the levels you earn them at?

If a character is past the level they need to be to learn a class's skill, they will learn it on their next level up in that class (or its promotion), starting with the earliest skill they don't have.

So, if you reclass her now she will get the first spear fighter skill when she hits 19 and the second when she hits 20.

She'll learn those skills when she levels at 19 and 20.

If a character is past the level they need to be to learn a skill, they will learn it on their next level up in that class (or its promotion), starting with the earliest skill they don't have.

So, if you reclass her now she will get the first spear fighter skill when she hits 19 and the second when she hits 20.

Thank you so much. That's perfect.

NeonZ

Are capture units any good?

Having no supports and the inability to reclass makes me wonder it it's worth capturing them.

I did grab Candace because I like her a lot, but not having any means to interact with her is pretty disappointing.

They can reclass to the alternative class branch (or to the DLC classes if you're willing to use a seal for them). Candace is an exception since she has an unique body model, so no reclassing at all for her.

Conquest's bosses generally have decent stats and extra skills in addition to the ones from their class lines, so some can actually be useful gameplay-wise if you're playing on hard or lunatic. For example, Haitaka (Chapter 9 boss) adds an early Rally Defense to your team that can be very useful in chapter 10 - and later he'll be the only Lance Master you can get in Conquest, with access to Rend Heaven.

The neutral bosses from Shared paralogues and the Birthright paralogue bosses though are mostly worthless - no extra skills and underwhelming stats on top of it.

Think about it, Arthur acts like a superhero and upholder of justice, but Nohr seems like a pretty dark, opressive place that's generally fighting for evil gain. Why would this guy be down for all this? Maybe he helps the oppressed in Nohr? Maybe he finds Elise to be a beacon of justice in a dark place? Who knows, it's not explored. As a result, he just seems like a guy who doesn't fit in the environment he was raised in.

Check the
Arthur/Azura
support. It's a rather surprising pairing, but they have a background connection that eventually leads to Arthur talking about his past.

Lunar15

Check the
Arthur/Azura
support. It's a rather surprising pairing, but they have a background connection that eventually leads to Arthur talking about his past.

Ooh, I read through it, very cute. I did like that a lot, does give Arthur some much needed backstory.

Let's be honest, I probably never would have had the chance to pair up Arthur and Azura.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Arthur ended up with Elise on my Conquest playthrough and Mozu in my Rev playthrough.

The connotations behind that are slightly disturbing. Reminds me of Frederick/Nowi from Awakening (which incidentally also happened due to running out of people to pair up)

Lynx_7

Conquest: Chapter 20 Hard/Classic - Why is chapter 10 the infamous one? It has NOTHING on its older brother, like, holy fuck.That was one of the most intense experiences I've ever had in a videogame. I don't even know how I managed to do it at my second try but I feel like that was the best performance I've ever put up on a FE game.
There were so many late turns where I just desperately looked around and there seemed to be no way to save a unit from certain death but after analysing all my options for over 10 minutes I'd manage to find the one solution that would keep me going for just one more turn. I kept going like that for pretty much the entire latter half of the map and had to make use of a dragon vein, convoy and minmanaged my position so that the wind would always take me where I wanted to go. I even had to rely on luck once or twice, and let me tell you: Mozu haters don't know shit. Mozu best girl. BEST. GIRL. She dodged EVERYTHING (well ok not eeeverything, but everything she needed to dodge!). Last turn, I can't allow this battle to go on for even a single turn longer otherwise one (possibly more) of my units is going to die because like the third or fourth wave of reinforcements had just appeared. None of the people I managed to get into the boss area could land a certain hit (they were all between 50-70, which is the same as "guaranteed miss if you're a human player" in this game). Felicia's enfeeble misses (goddamn garbage-tier waifu), I have three units left. If even one of them misses I can't seize the map even if I beat the boss. Mozu is the only character with a 100% hit chance, so I use her first, thinking I'd need to pray for the next unit to hit no matter what. She puts on her "I ain't having none of that, gurl" smile and crits his windy ass to the ground. I just laugh and do a victory lap around the map with my other units killing as many enemies as I can before seizing the map with Xander. Chapter 20 completed and I have never felt more relieved. BEST GIRL. I won't even marry her anymore because I feel like she's already the RNGod's waifu.

Could only open one of the boxes but hey, I'm counting that as a good result.
I need a few breathers right now. Please tell me there'll be some easy chapters soon.

In other news, I think it's time to let Felicia go. She probably made this mission harder than it'd have been otherwise. She's not even paper because paper has at least some durability, she's just dead air. Maybe I could try reclassing her to a strategist and see if that does something for her because Maid just isn't cutting it anymore.

Xenoflare

I just had my first bogus level up (no stats increase at all)

It was Xander, the only stats he maxed out right now is Strength, uh why

Not really.
Some Changes yes, but not much removed

I saw another video on YT of the fan translated C support based on the Japanese version and
they were talking a lot more.
. But to be honest I find this so funny I dont even care that much.

I love how
their facial expressions soften each time.

Bwahaha I didnt even notice that! That makes this even funnier.

You have to
buy Conquest :p

LOL. Thats just mean.

A few funny things about my current Birthright playthrough:

-Setsuna went from being an OK unit to being straight garbage almost instantaneously. She literally went through 4 level-ups and only got one stat increased each time, and they were all for like Defense or Resistance. I threw her away after Master Sealing her and seeing her Overall still be below 100. She was worse than a bunch of level 18-20 unpromoted units in my party. Fortunately, since I'm playing as female Corrin, I can completely ignore her and still get all the children.

-For whatever reason the Daikon Radish has been a super-reliable weapon for me, especially after upgrading it a few times. It's impossible to land a hit on someone with that equipped. It's hilarious when you land a critical hit with it, too.

-I managed to take out every enemy in Chapter 12
except for King Garon. Does anything happen if you beat him there since the objective is to simply flee?

Hayato is pretty dang good on Revelation. He was mediocre on Birthright and immediately outclassed by his daughter, but he joins at level 9 instead of 1 and with very good bases for his level in Revelation. His growths are good even on Birthright but his bases were just too bad to deal with, and I say this as someone who likes Mozu. I only bothered using him on Revelation because you get him earlier than many other units and because I wanted to get an Avatar A support so I can cop Onmyoji and Tomefaire for my Nohr Noble, but I think I'll keep using him until I at least get his daughter and Ophelia. I'm going for Nyx!Rhajat because I like the *canon* hair colour, but also because Leo has got dibs on Sakura.

Speaking of Mozu, I enjoyed using her in both Birthright and Conquest. In Conquest she was invaluable as the only Archer you get. She was legitimately one of my best units. On Birthright you get other good Archers though, so I went for Spear Fighter from Oboro's Friendship Seal and then ended in Master of Arms after getting the skills I wanted. She was a nice utility unit with all the weapon access, and having Seal Strength, Speed and Defense was really nice. She was a good unit in Birthright, but maybe not one of my best. Now in Revelation, I thought she would be once again one of my best units because you get her when you only have 4 units and at that point they'll all be overlevelled, so it isn't a waste to feed her all the EXP in her Paralogue. I got her up to level 7 from her Paralogue alone, and then up to level 11 from Chapter 8. However, she stopped pulling her weight as soon as other units joined and caught up to her level. I don't know if I just wasn't RNG blessed this time or what, but I'm not really feeling Mozu this playthrough. I've also worked out all my pairs and I'm literally happy with all of them except for Mozu, who got stuck with Jakob... Sorry Mozu :(

zroid

Banned
There's no advantage to picking up from Ch6 when you play the other versions is there?

I was thinking of choosing a female avatar for my Conquest playthrough is why I ask

Xenoflare

There's no advantage to picking up from Ch6 when you play the other versions is there?

I was thinking of choosing a female avatar for my Conquest playthrough is why I ask

You can change your gender of avatar when you choose "Branch of Fate", where the game loads your most recent Chapter 6 save and let you kick off from there. However, your default servant will start at level 1 since he/she wasn't with you for Chapter 2 and 3. (Jakob for female and Felicia for male)

NeonZ

Ooh, I read through it, very cute. I did like that a lot, does give Arthur some much needed backstory.

Let's be honest, I probably never would have had the chance to pair up Arthur and Azura.

It's kind of odd. I think I've already seen Benny talking about his backstory twice in his supports. Nyx also often mentions her past, or gets her past brought up by other characters, but then you get cases like Arthur where it's only mentioned once.

Anteo

Hayato is pretty dang good on Revelation. He was mediocre on Birthright and immediately outclassed by his daughter, but he joins at level 9 instead of 1 and with very good bases for his level in Revelation. His growths are good even on Birthright but his bases were just too bad to deal with, and I say this as someone who likes Mozu. I only bothered using him on Revelation because you get him earlier than many other units and because I wanted to get an Avatar A support so I can cop Onmyoji and Tomefaire for my Nohr Noble, but I think I'll keep using him until I at least get his daughter and Ophelia. I'm going for Nyx!Rhajat because I like the *canon* hair colour, but also because Leo has got dibs on Sakura.

Speaking of Mozu, I enjoyed using her in both Birthright and Conquest. In Conquest she was invaluable as the only Archer you get. She was legitimately one of my best units. On Birthright you get other good Archers though, so I went for Spear Fighter from Oboro's Friendship Seal and then ended in Master of Arms after getting the skills I wanted. She was a nice utility unit with all the weapon access, and having Seal Strength, Speed and Defense was really nice. She was a good unit in Birthright, but maybe not one of my best. Now in Revelation, I thought she would be once again one of my best units because you get her when you only have 4 units and at that point they'll all be overlevelled, so it isn't a waste to feed her all the EXP in her Paralogue. I got her up to level 7 from her Paralogue alone, and then up to level 11 from Chapter 8. However, she stopped pulling her weight as soon as other units joined and caught up to her level. I don't know if I just wasn't RNG blessed this time or what, but I'm not really feeling Mozu this playthrough. I've also worked out all my pairs and I'm literally happy with all of them except for Mozu, who got stuck with Jakob... Sorry Mozu :(

But Niles! *checks growths* 40% for STR? I guess I've been lucky

zroid

Banned
You can change your gender of avatar when you choose "Branch of Fate", where the game loads your most recent Chapter 6 save and let you kick off from there. However, your default servant will start at level 1 since he/she wasn't with you for Chapter 2 and 3. (Jakob for female and Felicia for male)

Ohhh okay thanks

Awww, Xander and Hinoka C-A supports are really sweet. So close to pairing..

I'm gonna A support all the siblings amongst each other and see who fits with who. Kind of disappointed with Leo and Sakura supports, nowhere as cute as the fan art of the pairing :/

Moonlight

Banned
And I just cleared Conquest 22. Seriously the best map I've played since Chapter 10. Just like, man, I can't be happier with that mission.

JulianImp

• Almost ready to wrap Conquest 12 up
  • Healer uses Draw on Aqua
  • Other enemy unit does a double hit on Aqua
  • Aqua dies

I was like "What the heck is ドロ?", but then I got to learn what it did at the worst possible time and with the worst possible outcome.

Anteo

Niles and Nina are basically just thieves with bows.

Good for fliers and mages, but not anything with reasonable defense.

Yeah I realized that when I checked his growths. On the other hand, his insane resistance means he doenst care about the weapon triangle when disposing mages, so I might keep him around some more.

Javier

I'm really just forcing myself through Birthright at this point, but my completionist nature when it comes to FE won't let me skip to Revelation right away. I have to do all the Paralogues and recruit everyone.

And really, I want to play Revelation mostly because of stuff like this. (Mild spoilers, just recruitable characters)

Anko

I lament the fact that there's no Camilla-FemCorrin S rank everyday. I'm not even sure how I developed a love for this specific type of character but I've come to the realization that I would like a murderous female loving, face smothering Onee-sama who would threaten to cut my legs off should I even dare entertain the thought of leaving her.

I'm also kind of annoyed that there isn't any bonus dialogue for A+ ranks. I'm not interested in letting anyone knock up sweet Elise. I just want to see more of how she interacts with Sakura, Camilla and Effie. I would very much love to see how Hinoka would interact with her too but apparently they don't think that would be interesting. Annoying that they only let them have a support with their direct counterparts, or love interests.

Top Bottom