• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

-Horizon-

Are the castle invasion options that show up in the birthright map important? I just finished one but it just felt like another grinding thing.

Speaking of missing old classes, I really miss Warriors. They were cool because they were an Axe using class that fell somewhere between Heroes and Berserkers in terms of stats. Now you have to choose either extreme. Plus, a Bow user with really high strength is cool.

zelhawks37

Just finished the Hoshido route on Lunatic difficulty. Story was decent enough, but had a lot of potential wasted. IMO, it didn't really delve into scenes or dialogue enough, but JMO. Gameplay and music were flawless like any other fire emblem game.
Paired Corrin with Hinoka
. :)

Notable chapters that were difficult: 5, 10, 11, 14, 23, 25 (25 being the hardest one). Unsurprisingly, its the chapters before you promote your units and the ones toward the end of the game.

Onto Conquest Lunatic! Im going to have a lovely time.

King Fost

Neo Member
But he has bows and can kill stuff!
But really, with 40% soon he will only be useful for killing Flyers.

I'm sorry, 40% is considered bad now? Growth inflation really is cancerous to the series.

Speaking of missing old classes, I really miss Warriors. They were cool because they were an Axe using class that fell somewhere between Heroes and Berserkers in terms of stats. Now you have to choose either extreme. Plus, a Bow user with really high strength is cool.

Warriors also looked really cool in all their appearances. Oni Chieftan just isn't the same, and they're shit casters to boot.

Speaking of Oni, I'm surprised they didn't use Oni Savages/Chieftans as the Barbarian equivalent on certain maps, i.e they destroy villages unless you get to them first. Their designs are clearly based off of Barbarians.

So, I paired Ryoma and Mozu. I had Mozu (Archer) pass down the skill that gives you +4 damage if you initiate the battle. I recruited Shiro at level 18. I immediately used a Heart Seal to reclass Shiro to a Samurai. He gained one level, learned Vantage. Gained another, learned Flow Strike. All according to plan.

Then I use a Master Seal to promote Shiro to Master of Arms. I gained one level and suddenly Shiro learned Aptitude, the trademark Villager skill. One more level and he learned Underdog.

There are a lot of things I don't understand in Fates, especially meta mechanics, but this one threw me for a loop. Why did Shiro learn skills from a class he has never been? Obviously they came from Mozu, somehow, but nobody in this family tree was ever a villager. Mozu didn't even have underdog because I changed her right to Archer.

Anybody know how this works?

Moonlight

Banned
There are a lot of things I don't understand in Fates, especially meta mechanics, but this one threw me for a loop. Why did Shiro learn skills from a class he has never been? Obviously they came from Mozu, somehow, but nobody in this family tree was ever a villager. Mozu didn't even have underdog because I changed her right to Archer.

Anybody know how this works?
Master of Arms is a promoted class of the Villager.

He's fine, but not as good as many other physical units. My Azura has more strength than Niles.

That's because Azura's strength growth is absurdly high for a dancer lol

and no, Niles is a good unit in Conquest, arguably top 10

Who's the best wife for Leo? There's no one in particular that I ship him with, but his daughter is one of the only kids I want in Conquest. I may as well try to give him the best option.

excuse me what

Squire

Banned
Who's the best wife for Leo? There's no one in particular that I ship him with, but his daughter is one of the only kids I want in Conquest. I may as well try to give him the best option.

King Fost

Neo Member
I'm not sure where this myth about needing archers in Conquest comes from.

I've been doing a girls only playthrough on HM and have not used a bow once in the entire game. Nor did I ever wish I had a bow user. On a regular playthrough, it's not like you're short on options if you want a bow user: there's Niles obviously, but there's also Shura and you could always just promote Selena/Lazlo into Bow Knight and give them an Arms Scroll + Iron Forge and they'll do well enough (Selena moreso than Lazlo). Mozu is just redundant and you're forced to give up ridiculous stuff like Ninja/Cav/Wyvern Corrin or Paladin!Jakob early on. It's just not worth it.

champloo

That's because Azura's strength growth is absurdly high for a dancer lol

and no, Niles is a good unit in Conquest, arguably top 10

Well he is not in my top 10. I'm using him in almost every chapter, right now he is a level 6 bow knight, he has the highest speed on my team, decent strength and resistance, and he can move 9 tiles each turn which is most useful when I need to pull him out of a situation.

The problem is he usually can only take 1 hit, another hit and he bites the dust. So he need to stay away from the front line, so I use him like how I use Kaze, or Elise, or Felicia, he just doesn't hit as hard. Maybe I'm using him wrong. Is he better as an Adventurer? or is he good because what he can do outside battle?

kewlmyc

If you want a good Forrest caster, I'd recommend Nyx. I'd recommend Nyx and Elsie for anyone who wants a powerful caster child, but Leo can't marry Elsie for obvious reasons, so you're left with Nyx.

Selena and Subaki were always meant to be with each other

Pretty much. Sorry Laslow.

Balphon

Forrest is a boy, despite being a Troubador.

Nyx (pass Malefic Aura) and Felicia (pass Live to Serve) are the best options if you're trying to make him useful.

Pretty much. Sorry Laslow.

Need to find a nice match for Laslow. Soleil looks great with red hair but I cant pair Sakura with a womanizer. Hmmm. Maybe Caeldori?

If you want to gimp Selena, Subaki, and Caeldori sure.

Selena, Odin, Ophelia is even worse though and Odin and Sev were my favorite kids in Awakening.

Not really looking for the best stats but who looks cute together and has good supports!

Wish Caeldori had a better personality. Shes too perfect its dull. I was gonna pair her with Corrin but Ive changed my mind.

Are Ninjas supposed to have poor defense? My Master Ninja Kaze has really good speed but his defense is so awful that he can barely take 1 or 2 hits before almost dying,

kewlmyc

Need to find a nice match for Laslow. Soleil looks great with red hair but I cant pair Sakura with a womanizer. Hmmm. Maybe Caeldori?

You can't pair kids and adults together (wow, that sounds awkward reading it out loud). Only Hoshido pairings Laslow has is with Orochi and Hana anyway. Only way to get red haired Soleil is with Selena or red haired Corrin.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Chapter 18 was not as hard as I expected. Is MVP determined randomly or something? Effie and Niles got it, even though Effie barely did anything outside the first few turns. Selena didn't get it, but she rocked that map. And I'd have guessed Felicia did more than Niles too, but at least they were close.

Are Ninjas supposed to have poor defense? My Master Ninja Kaze has really good speed but his defense is so awful that he can barely take 1 or 2 hits before almost dying,

Ninjas are basically Thieves, so yeah.

Squire

Banned
If you want a good Forrest caster, I'd recommend Nyx. I'd recommend Nyx and Elsie for anyone who wants a powerful caster child, but Leo can't marry Elsie for obvious reasons, so you're left with Nyx.

Forrest is a boy, despite being a Troubador.

Nyx (pass Malefic Aura) and Felicia (pass Live to Serve) are the best options if you're trying to make him useful.

Got it, thanks.

Do you get more/less support points for fighting with characters paired up (in one square) rather than fighting adjacent? Would be nice if I could just stick Elise onto Odin for supports grinding since I rarely need to heal.

Chapter 18 was not as hard as I expected. Is MVP determined randomly or something? Effie and Niles got it, even though Effie barely did anything outside the first few turns. Selena didn't get it, but she rocked that map. And I'd have guessed Felicia did more than Niles too, but at least they were close.

Ninjas are basically Thieves, so yeah.

At least Ninjas act as good support for debuffing enemies so the bigger guys can take them out. I usually never take Kaze out in direct battle unless he has a teammate with him in the frontlines.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Invasion 2 is kicking my butt. Things are fine until the reinforcements show up and the maids and leader start moving. I don't have a unit that can survive three great knights, two maids, and the merchant leader with the gold skill. Can't really lure effectively when dealing with entrap.

Have an idea to try later, if that doesn't work I'll skip it for a chapter or two.

Busaiku

Dang, Revelation 16 caught me off guard.
Just when I thought I got an easy chapter.

The start of chapter 17 almost had me in tears.
Blessed RNGs.

Balphon

Got it, thanks.

Do you get more/less support points for fighting with characters paired up (in one square) rather than fighting adjacent? Would be nice if I could just stick Elise onto Odin for supports grinding since I rarely need to heal.

I believe it's the same as Awakening, so merely being adjacent is worth less than being the unit that appears as the support in battle.

apd_ng

I just finished birthright it was kinda easy..

But starting on conquest I can't finish the first mission

so damn so hard

any tips boys?

I'm trading to trade effectively but everyone just keeps dying so i stoop myself to savescumming ;(

champloo

Invasion 2 is kicking my butt. Things are fine until the reinforcements show up and the maids and leader start moving. I don't have a unit that can survive three great knights, two maids, and the merchant leader with the gold skill. Can't really lure effectively when dealing with entrap.

Have an idea to try later, if that doesn't work I'll skip it for a chapter or two.

They won't use entrap until the reinforcement show up.
I placed my buildings to funnel the main enemy force onto my caltrops. It didn't work that well as they like to destroy my buildings. But some of them would stand on the spikes trying to attack my units.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Man, Chapters 14-16 of Conquest were a cakewalk and then 17 comes and starts kicking my butt. And I was just starting to get cocky. I'm pretty sure I'm just being impatient and worry less about who goes where than I should. Plus the level looks like one big puzzle. Ugh, this chapter's gonna force me to think.

Xenoflare

Man, Chapters 14-16 of Conquest were a cakewalk and then 17 comes and starts kicking my butt. And I was just starting to get cocky. I'm pretty sure I'm just being impatient and worry less about who goes where than I should. Plus the level looks like one big puzzle. Ugh, this chapter's gonna force me to think.

Every chapter starting from chapter 20 of Conquest is going to be challenging. 18 and 19 aren't that bad (19 is a bit gimmicky as
enemies can pass while being invincible but as the same time they cannot attack until the following turn although you could just wait for them to get to you

Question: is it true the skinship face-petting still exists for married units with full hearts?

I know that your partner will fall asleep sometimes and you wake them with the stylus, but it's not very tactile and they really don't react to being touched. Maybe they never did?

vareon

How do I buy more Rescue Rods? They're handy for the paralogues.

I might use the different Rods now since the enemies are getting stronger. First time in my Fire Emblem game! Lol.

Javier

How do I buy more Rescue Rods? They're handy for the paralogues.

I might use the different Rods now since the enemies are getting stronger. First time in my Fire Emblem game! Lol.
Rescue can only be bought on Birthright and Revelations and you get a few extra ones every time you level up the Store. They're not infinite, though.

In Conquest, Freeze saved my butt more times than it should have. Enfeeble is also great for weakening up bosses.

This game is probably the second best when it comes to staff utility (you can't beat FE5's OP staves in that aspect).

vareon

Rescue can only be bought on Birthright and Revelations and you get a few extra ones every time you level up the Store. They're not infinite, though.

In Conquest, Freeze saved my butt more times than it should have. Enfeeble is also great for weakening up bosses.

This game is probably the second best when it comes to staff utility (you can't beat FE5's OP staves in that aspect).

Yeah I'm on Birthright sorry if it isn't clear. My store run out of stock. I thought I could buy some if I visit other castles but I haven't found one.

Question, I noticed there is an option at my castle to get some free items for buying the different versions of the game, some class change scrolls among other things. If I take these in birthright, are they gone forever? Or are they always available when I make a new game? I'd rather save them for the other paths bc I can grind and do other stuff in birthright anyway

Top Bottom