• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Javier

Question, I noticed there is an option at my castle to get some free items for buying the different versions of the game, some class change scrolls among other things. If I take these in birthright, are they gone forever? Or are they always available when I make a new game? I'd rather save them for the other paths bc I can grind and do other stuff in birthright anyway
You can get all the rewards once per file. So yes, there's no penalty whatsoever if you get the rewards on your current playthrough.

This also applies to the My Castle Battles/Visits rewards.

Javier

At what chapter did you get your first child?
Should i be worried if i'm at chapter 11 and didn't get one yet?
(birthright)
Playing normally, I usually don't start unlocking Paralogues unitl chapters 13-14. And even then, I don't start playing them until after Chapter 18 so that the kids come with their own promotion seal.

And still, you can grind supports even in Conquest, so there's really no need to worry about missing the Paralogues.

You can get all the rewards once per file. So yes, there's no penalty whatsoever if you get the rewards on your current playthrough.

This also applies to the My Castle Battles/Visits rewards.

Awesome thanks!

So anyone in birthright a prime candidate for dread fighter?

Generally people set up their castles to be easy to grind or get skills. So find some high level castle that doenst counter attack and start a battle there. The best ones are those that have a high level Lilith with only a heal staff.

My experience generally has had me get better support grinding in by actually defeating enemies instead of just attacking them. Also, the MVPs get a support boost from what I've noticed. Every time I do a recommended castle and kill everyone, I always end up with some conversations while even grinding for 30+ minutes leads to nothing.

Balphon

My experience generally has had me get better support grinding in by actually defeating enemies instead of just attacking them. Also, the MVPs get a support boost from what I've noticed. Every time I do a recommended castle and kill everyone, I always end up with some conversations while even grinding for 30+ minutes leads to nothing.

There is a cap on the amount of support a pair can earn in a single battle. It's about what they earn through five paired up attacks.

Nobody

Because I went with female Corrin ヽ(▼ー▼)ノ

I am playing Birthright as male Corrin to have the experience of marrying one of the girls, but man, it's awful. Female Corrin is boss. Male Corrin sucks. I had a playthrough with female Corrin up to Chapter 18 that I restarted when I got a better hold of the mechanics. I wish I had just forgone Kanna and married Nyx.

I love Female Corrin. Male Corrin... I just look past him. It's like he's not even there. BOOOO.

Linkark07

Banned
Nobody

Because I went with female Corrin ヽ(▼ー▼)ノ

*High five

I mean, going to play at least once as male Corrin for marry Oboro, but right now, going with female Corrin. Marrying her with Silas, having Sophie and Kanna as siblings.

There is a cap on the amount of support a pair can earn in a single battle. It's about what they earn through five paired up attacks.

I know about the cap, though my testing makes me wonder if its there isn't also a per action cap. I mean, it could all be in my head, since I haven't tested anything throughly, but it seems that you get more support points for killing an enemy than just attacking, as well as more from being MVP, beyond the normal cap. I've taken Odin from C to B with Nyx in 1 fight, which as far as I know shouldn't be possible with the normal cap. Now, Nyx nuked most of the enemies while Odin supported and they got MVP, so I figured that they must be getting more points from somewhere since my previous grinding method was just hitting enemies up to 8 times then leaving, and that didn't get Odin from C to B with anyone in one fight.

Again, could just be in my head, since I haven't done much in the way of supports for a while. Probably need to test it out some time.

Did you get the Shining Bow from Battle Points? If so, how did you get so many points so quickly?!

825 battle points. You can earn 3 battle points per fight (battle + feedback), so that is pretty impressive. Would take around 275 fights, not counting those coming from others battling you.

Marz

So is the end game in these better than Awakening? Only classes you really wanted to compose your team of was sorcerers and dark fliers, maybe a hero if you were feeling adventurous. Are the classes more evenly balanced this game?

Also are the children characters still all going to be better than their parents?

PK Gaming

I am playing Birthright as male Corrin to have the experience of marrying one of the girls, but man, it's awful. Female Corrin is boss. Male Corrin sucks. I had a playthrough with female Corrin up to Chapter 18 that I restarted when I got a better hold of the mechanics. I wish I had just forgone Kanna and married Nyx.

I love Female Corrin. Male Corrin... I just look past him. It's like he's not even there. BOOOO.

I mean both Corn's have their appeal but I definitely prefer Female Corrin to Male Corrin. She's more flexible (You get access *TWO* amazing kids and don't lose out on anyone) and her gender specific reclass options are straight up better. Better design options too.

*High five

I mean, going to play at least once as male Corrin for marry Oboro, but right now, going with female Corrin. Marrying her with Silas, having Sophie and Kanna as siblings.

(。^_・)ノ

On my next run I'm going with Male Corrin for sure because I need to marry Felicia. Or maybe Hana.

Damn, what a conundrum...

Balphon

I know about the cap, though my testing makes me wonder if its there isn't also a per action cap. I mean, it could all be in my head, since I haven't tested anything throughly, but it seems that you get more support points for killing an enemy than just attacking, as well as more from being MVP, beyond the normal cap. I've taken Odin from C to B with Nyx in 1 fight, which as far as I know shouldn't be possible with the normal cap. Now, Nyx nuked most of the enemies while Odin supported and they got MVP, so I figured that they must be getting more points from somewhere since my previous grinding method was just hitting enemies up to 8 times then leaving, and that didn't get Odin from C to B with anyone in one fight.

Again, could just be in my head, since I haven't done much in the way of supports for a while. Probably need to test it out some time.

I don't know if they changed any of it from Awakening where any paired up action was the same, but it would depend on where they were between C and B when the fight started. I doubt Odin has quicker support with Nyx like he does with most folks and Niles, Leo, or Ophelia in particular.

I don't know if they changed any of it from Awakening where any paired up action was the same, but it would depend on where they were between C and B when the fight started. I doubt Odin has quicker support with Nyx like he does with most folks and Niles, Leo, or Ophelia in particular.

He doesn't, and I had just viewed the C rank support before going into the next fight. That is what struck me as odd. I'll probably test this again once I get into birthright, since I'm more or less done with supports on conquest (tired of the grind + have my full team). Once I get some units I'll just go straight to grinding out supports. Hayato may be a good choice for that, since he comes at such a low level.

JulianImp

I found a guy's castle who has lots of ridiculously overleveled characters with their inventories full of vulneraries and the same five skills on all of them yesterday, so I was thinking about using that the next time I feel like grinding for support levels.

Is there a limit on how much a character's support level can grow per map, or could I potentially spend as much time as I wanted on a single run to boost my team's supports?

You can't pair kids and adults together (wow, that sounds awkward reading it out loud). Only Hoshido pairings Laslow has is with Orochi and Hana anyway. Only way to get red haired Soleil is with Selena or red haired Corrin.

Haha that does sound weird lol. Fair enough. I can pair kids together though right?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I guess I completely misunderstood that illusion thing in chapter 19. I just disregarded the enemy right where you start since it said I can't attack them/they can't attack me... only for them to attack me and kill a unit immediately.

Seems like a kind of bullshit mechanic to make enemies you can't attack.

demidar

I guess I completely misunderstood that illusion thing in chapter 19. I just disregarded the enemy right where you start since it said I can't attack them/they can't attack me... only for them to attack me and kill a unit immediately.

Yeah, the appearing/disappearing happens after your turn ends which is pretty tricky to play around. It means they can get in your face without you being able to retaliate, then they'll become vulnerable and make a beeline for your squishiest units. Even worse, some of them have Pass so they can move through your units so forming a wall isn't as effective.

My strategy was
during the first few squads (immediate top and left) I aggro'd them with a tanky unit then full retreated with my entire squad, keeping out of attack range until they reveal themselves. For the top left group, it's 4 vulnerable, 4 invulnerable alternating squads. I had to pair everyone up to prevent enemy double attacks while placing 4 of my tankiest pairs around Elise who grants -3 damage next to adjacent units, and she'll be perfectly fine because there are no ranged enemy units in the map. Also make sure not to use any pegasus/horse riders as half of the enemies are Beast Killers. I beat the boss and had to cleanup the two bodyguards but accidentally left Leo out and he got killed, pouring 1.5 hours down the drain :(

the annoying part is where their invincibility wears off at the end of your turn so they basically get a free pick at one of your units

I basically had to watch out for any of them that was invincible and had pass so they wouldn't go through my party and wreck an archer or healer

Balphon

Yeah, giving enemy units effective invulnerability and Pass is crappy, but you can work around it if you are very careful.

Though some mechanics are made easier to deal with due to the fact that they activate on the end of the enemy turn (e.g. Conquest 20), so at least it's relatively evenhanded.

Weebos

Banned

This chapter sucks. Keaton tanked it for me solo.

It is much less fun when they all have effective damage against horses and all your units other than Camilla have a horse!

Don't forget all the hit rates being around ~60 so reliable hit rates don't really exist!

That probably would've been my least favorite chapter of Conquest if 20 wasn't even more awful.

Anteo

I tried that stage twice, I failed to win twice. The second time I got kind of cocky and pushed a little bit too far in without the right units in the right position, so when all of them started moving I didnt have a way to retreat properly. I managed to survive 2 turns but Elisse cant really heal anyone because she is a mounted unit and gets killed super fast.

It is much less fun when they all have effective damage against horses and all your units other than Camilla have a horse!

Don't forget all the hit rates being around ~60 so reliable hit rates don't really exist!

That probably would've been my least favorite chapter of Conquest if 20 wasn't even more awful.

don't know what you're talking about only two of my units were on a horse for that chapter and one of them was Elise :p

edit: actually 3 cause Niles I guess

don't know what you're talking about only two of my units were on a horse for that chapter and one of them was Elise :p

edit: actually 3 cause Niles I guess
My options at the time were Paladin Corrin, Paladin Silas, Paladin Xander, Strategist Elise (tbf tho Elise doesn't get to see combat because a strong wind would ORKO her (except her res is high so that's not an issue)), Bow Knight Selena, Bow Knight Nina.

I also had Master Ninja Kaze too, but it still made things veeeeery frustrating.

Also the best theme is the Conquest recruitment theme, which is nice because after Birthright I thought recruitment themes were doomed to suck forever.

Finished Birthright and wanted to take a break before I jumped into Revelations. For people who've played it already, how does it compare story/gameplay wise (to someone who enjoyed Birthright's story and found the gameplay okay but found Conquest's story kind of silly and gameplay kind of cool)? I remember the import impressions being that the story sort of sucked. Did the localization manage to save it any? :/

Also, how are the supports in revelations between the opposite siblings. I feel like most of them would be hilarious(Especially Takumi/Leo), and that's one my the main things I'm looking forward to going into the game :p

Dimmle

Story seems uniformly bad across all three campaigns but Fates does a good job arguing that maybe Fire Emblem's story doesn't matter as long as you have interesting supports and well-designed maps and objectives.

I end up more attached to the organic narratives that form around your units rather than the prefab narrative.

Looks like if I want to get every child in Revelations, I need to leave Felicia alone and have Silas pair up with Azura.

And I really like the Felicia x Silas ship.

Edit: Fire Emblem looks like a series that would work better with character growth/interactions rather than try and focus on a big story by this point.

Draxal

You can have both though, they tried but man they made Corrin a complete goober, that he really sucked up the fun of the plot. Chrom/Robin as dual protagonists were so much better than Corrin.

Story seems uniformly bad across all three campaigns but Fates does a good job arguing that maybe Fire Emblem's story doesn't matter as long as you have interesting supports and well-designed maps and objectives.

I end up more attached to the organic narratives that form around your units rather than the prefab narrative.

I don't know why you wouldn't strive for both, though.

Top Bottom