• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

My Shiro has accidentally wound up with so many good skills that I can't juggle them all.

He's a Master of Arms with Astra/Vanguard/Strength Seal/Defense Seal and the skills that give +30 Avoid when you initiate.

Untouchable lead unit.

That Shiro is really similar to my odin.

He actually saved my bacon when I misplayed when the boss attacked him, took him to 1 HP, then proc'd astra and critted 3 times to kill him and end the map

JulianImp

it would result in a support system that was simply grinding up for pair up stats, which is exactly what I said I didnt want.

We have something cool already with friendship/partner seals allowing class swapping with top ranks, but with kids gone I would want something else new in their place. As it is, adding new characters to your army with customized skills is a pretty damn cool reward

Maybe the couple could learn specific combined skills, such as attack or ability combos rather than just getting stat bonuses, for example.

I do agree that children are a decent way to give customization options without overcomplicating the development of custom character-specific stuff though, but it's true that I find flat stat boosts a bit boring.

This wouldn't really be a solution since the intention would be to have supports with trajectories other than marriage. There are so many types of relationships in the world that don't end in marriage. Even romantic relationships. Some end in business partnerships. Some end in best friendship (I dig the A+ addition to Fates for this reason but it would be nice to have conversations along with it). Some might end in heated rivalry. As the current system exists, A supports are still written to segue into S supports which represent marriage, so not only does ending at A give you less of a stat advantage but it also doesn't introduce any more possibility to the support narratives.

Expect one of the complaints about the current support system is that many of the segways from A to S are incredibly awkward and badly done and if anything most of them are good supports up to the A rank.

This wouldn't really be a solution since the intention would be to have supports with trajectories other than marriage. There are so many types of relationships in the world that don't end in marriage. Even romantic relationships. Some end in business partnerships. Some end in best friendship (I dig the A+ addition to Fates for this reason but it would be nice to have conversations along with it). Some might end in heated rivalry. As the current system exists, A supports are still written to segue into S supports which represent marriage, so not only does ending at A give you less of a stat advantage but it also doesn't introduce any more possibility to the support narratives.
Not to mention it means that all of the characters need to be a relatively young marriage age, and that none of them will have children already like a Garcia or Zealot. The existence of retainers improved that part of Awakening but it still meant we had no mentors, no parents (who were actually parents with relationships with their children), no established married couples like Pent/Louise or Cuan/Ethlyn.

Children need to go not only to fix that problem but more importantly they fuck with recruitment past midgame and ruined gaiden chapters.

Expect one of the complaints about the current support system is that many of the segways from A to S are incredibly awkward and badly done and if anything most of them are good supports up to the A rank.

The issue are the ones that go straight to "I am in love with you/I'm in love with you too."

There are some that don't touch the Big L and they are so much more natural. You get the feeling that it's the beginning of a relationship, not the end of a fairy tale.

You should not need to marry a unit to get the maximum support bonus, either.

Dimmle

Not to mention it means that all of the characters need to be a relatively young marriage age, and that none of them will have children already like a Garcia or Zealot. The existence of retainers improved that part of Awakening but it still meant we had no mentors, no parents (who were actually parents with relationships with their children), no established married couples like Pent/Louise or Cuan/Ethlyn.

Children need to go not only to fix that problem but more importantly they fuck with recruitment past midgame and ruined gaiden chapters.

The issue are the ones that go straight to "I am in love with you/I'm in love with you too."

There are some that don't touch the Big L and they are so much more natural. You get the feeling that it's the beginning of a relationship, not the end of a fairy tale.

You should not need to marry a unit to get the maximum support bonus, either.

Yes yes yes to all of this. I want new dynamics and more variety in Fire Emblem!

Lorcain

They go in to the unit logbook, which you can talk to by talking to your butler/maid at the castle, there you can hire them or buy their skills to other characters that you have.
Thanks. Appreciate it. I'm guessing this is how people are playing child characters in other campaigns?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
These map gimmicks are getting really, really dumb. First it's invulnerable enemies with pass, now it's wind completely screwing up my positioning. But naturally it only impacts the player.

Rutger

Banned
I didn't find the wind in Conquest 20(?) to be hard to work around at all. It slowed things down a little, but they tell us what to expect right at the start.

I think I'm glad it didn't affect the enemies, I didn't need any flying units moving five spaces closer to me at any point, haha.

Moonlight

Banned
These map gimmicks are getting really, really dumb. First it's invulnerable enemies with pass, now it's wind completely screwing up my positioning. But naturally it only impacts the player.
I thought it was pretty satisfying to figure out the map mechanic and compensate the positioning. One of the more interesting DVs, too. One of the coolest moments for me was accidentally letting Keaton and Velouria get blown into the boss platform, then using the wind to divide the enemies into the southern platform to save them, and funnel the enemies into the top-right chokepoint and the bridge.

Would be a lot more aggravating if the enemies moved without the DV every turn without any input from the player, IMO.

Though if it means anything, the next chapters tone it down a lot in terms of over-the-top map gimmicks.

Busaiku

Is there any way to tell how many times I have to keep whacking these naked units to gain a support level?
This is way too tedious.

PK Gaming

gigi d.g posted some sketches of her NOTP

CdkThzxUEAA-yCR.png

CdkThjVUEAAAp-e.png

And here are some Takumi sketches for good measure

CdkThx1UAAAXvYs.png

Truly fantastic

Code_Link

So... I got Ike and Marth via amiibo... Is it worth to use them in my Birthright campaign? They literally have no character development, right?

Since we're talking stories, I think that having an Avatar isn't inherently bad for the story, they just need to be written well. I think I actually prefer Corrin to Robin so far judging by the entirety of Conquest and Birthright and about half of Revelation, but I wouldn't consider Corrin a great lead by any means. I will say that I wish the Avatar didn't have a default class that you're stuck in for at least 7 chapters. New Mystery had it right by letting the Avatar start as whatever base class you wanted, with the weapon ranks and stats to match. I've had to make certain that all of my Corrins can at least use swords in their final class because the Yato is just too good, and I don't like that. Sure, you could pick whatever class you really wanted, but it's definitely inefficient. I don't think a customizable character should have a plot-influenced exclusive weapon.

I completed Conquest and I am very disappointed in the ending, but maybe my hopes were too high. It seems that Revelations is obviously the best version, and has the answers to questions raised at the end. In other words, Conquest is INCOMPLETE.

Balphon

Is there any way to tell how many times I have to keep whacking these naked units to gain a support level?
This is way too tedious.

5 attacks while paired (in attack or guard stance) will max the pair's support gain for the fight.

Everything else (attack while adjacent, sing, heal, etc) is worth a third as much and will take about 14 actions to max.

Depending on who the characters are and their existing support level max gain may not be enough to go all the way to another support level.

NeonZ

So... I got Ike and Marth via amiibo... Is it worth to use them in my Birthright campaign? They literally have no character development, right?

They have three conversations before joining. Afterwards, they only have battle voice and some quotes for the Castle stores (no level up quotes though, oddly).

I've been using Marth, Lucina and Robin in Conquest, and the first two have been able to keep up just fine gameplay-wise. In fact, Lucina and Marth are some of my best units. They have no personal skill, but each one carries a signature weapon that can't be used by anyone else. Robin hasn't done nearly as well as the others though, but now that he got Rally Spectrum he has some unique utility. They can only class change with the DLC seals though.

If you have the Amiibo, after defeating and recruiting them, remember to tap them again to make them appear in your Castle, where then they'll go take over the weapons or accessory shop. If they take over the accessory shop, they'll put up a weapon for sale. In Marth's case, he'll sell a basic sword significantly stronger than iron weapons but with no disadvantages aside from lower hit rate. Ike's weapon is a slightly stronger Steel Sword with +3 for defense.

Since we're talking stories, I think that having an Avatar isn't inherently bad for the story, they just need to be written well. I think I actually prefer Corrin to Robin so far judging by the entirety of Conquest and Birthright and about half of Revelation, but I wouldn't consider Corrin a great lead by any means. I will say that I wish the Avatar didn't have a default class that you're stuck in for at least 7 chapters. New Mystery had it right by letting the Avatar start as whatever base class you wanted, with the weapon ranks and stats to match. I've had to make certain that all of my Corrins can at least use swords in their final class because the Yato is just too good, and I don't like that. Sure, you could pick whatever class you really wanted, but it's definitely inefficient. I don't think a customizable character should have a plot-influenced exclusive weapon.

Corrin is just too much of an actual character, even if her personality is cliche. I really wish the avatar in general went back to something closer to FE12's, with a more vague backstory that could even be partially customized by the player.

Squire

Banned
5 attacks while paired (in attack or guard stance) will max the pair's support gain for the fight.

Everything else (attack while adjacent, sing, heal, etc) is worth a third as much and will take about 14 actions to max.

Depending on who the characters are and their existing support level max gain may not be enough to go all the way to another support level.

This is incredibly helpful, thanks.

Luigi87

Been playing not as frequently lately as busy with other stuff
#FE Chrom cosplay

Finished ch.16 of Birthright though... all my promotes though just tore through the level, especially Hana. So many criticals...

Finished up Birthright on Hard.

I was playing the game without grinding, and it wasn't too bad overall. Chapter 23 to endgame was a huge spike in enemy levels, so I used the paralogues that were unlocked from my pairings to catch up.

It's strange that Conquest is harder yet much better balanced. I had no issue keeping my guys up to speed in that path, but I really think the playable Hoshido units are just not as strong as the Nohr units. The Hoshido siblings performed well, but everyone else on my main team struggled despite everyone being roughly at the same level.

zelhawks37

Just got to the infamous chapter 10 on nohr. Fuck those pegasus knights. Chapter would be so much easier without so many and they go straight for my healer or the green tiles. Ughhhh this will be a while before i get past it.

Why does
Elise
join in Revelations
Chapter 14
at level SEVEN!? The only person you get in this chapter that's actually decent is
Benny
, everyone else is just underleveled.

The balancing in this route is really horrible

Birthright 17 or 18 Idk

some chick set herself on fire and I don't know, people are sad or something. Am I supposed to care?

uhh... I did at least. She didn't get tons of screen time, but it's not like she was some rando... I guess some get invested more quickly than others though

Hero

Any suggestions on which Conquest characters to promote to Dread Fighter or Ebon Wing or the Before Awakening items on? Are they worth it?

khaaan

Do Master Seals show up at predefined intervals? I'm one seal short from having all the units I want promoted. I did one story chapter + one challenge (Birthright) and the shop hasn't gotten anything.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Glad to have chapter 19 and 20 out of the way, hopefully those are the only two lame gimmick maps.

Seems like Flora is the only character left unless I recruit kids. Will have to see how she starts out, because I'm thinking about dropping Silas, Jakob, and Leo but don't have anyone to replace them with since everyone else is so far behind. Silas and Jakob are struggling hard with level ups and both are below average in nearly every regard at this point. And Leo just isn't adding anything, he's slow and can't hit anything, the only thing he has going for him is that he has average defense and resistance, when most characters only have one or the other.

Xenoflare

Finished Chapter 9 revelations on hard.

Ughhheh god it took 34 turns which isn't the worst but it felt so much longer. I did not expect this on such of an early chapter, basically Conquest 20 redux.

Jakob maxed out his Shuriken proficiency lol,

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Any tips for Nohr mission 12? I am getting frustrated at this game and I don't wanna lower the difficulty.

Any tips for Nohr mission 12? I am getting frustrated at this game and I don't wanna lower the difficulty.
Just beat it myself, pair up your highest defense unit with a defensive support, break the first medicine pot (middle in front of your units) to add +4 to def. Camilla can tank a round or two with the Saizo/Kagero combo, then wail on them and tank the onslaught of enemies in a narrow entrance with your heavy defense unit. Once done, break a single pot on the right side of the massive pot area and draw the crowds to your tank. Pick them off with ranged attackers (If you have Felicia USE THAT FLAME SHURIKEN). Run everyone into the pot area and use your tank to hold off the archers healing when necessary. Meanwhile clear off the left and right rooms and open the chests, just make sure to watch for the entrap priest on the right. I didn't try to kill Ryoma, but feel free to.

I'm right with you on the difficulty. It's strange to be in a classic hard fire emblem with absolutely no ability to arena abuse. It's never taken me this long to beat a FE game. I beat Birthright in about two weeks, but I'm just over halfway on Conquest. I really love the difficulty, but I wonder if I'm actually having fun playing like this. It feels like lunatic mode to me.

Quick question: I'm at Conquest chapter 13 and still haven't used Camilla, mainly because I've never been to fond of using pre-promoted units because they take exp from units more in need of it. When is a good time to start using her without her sponging exp?

PS: Is it just my Odin getting fucked by RNG or is him usually not good at getting magic growths? It makes me not want to use him at all, if it weren't because
I was really fond of him on Awakening and I still like him as a character
, not so much as a unit, I wouldn't even bother.

Quick question: I'm at Conquest chapter 13 and still haven't used Camilla, mainly because I've never been to fond of using pre-promoted units because they take exp from units more in need of it. When is a good time to start using her without her sponging exp?

13 is actually a good point from what I've played of it. Killing regular units on that map gave her a normal (~30-40) exp.

Off topic, does it seem like exp diminishes far more rapidly than in previous games for units even a few levels above the enemies?

Xenoflare

PS: Is it just my Odin getting fucked by RNG or is him usually not good at getting magic growths? It makes me not want to use him at all, if it weren't because

Camilla has an internal level of 15, so she is 15/1, and I wouldn't be too worried about her, 3 out of the 4 Nohrian siblings are prepromotes and all three of them are the best units in game. Around chapter 13 she's been able to get normal amount of EXP from enemies.

Odin requires work to make him viable and he's probably the worst in the Awakening Trio, his growths is extremely spread out and balanced to a fault. Although it also makes him a prime candidate for an Ebon Wing

Promoted Rinkah is a god. Best unit easily besides Mozu and Ryoma of course.

Do Master Seals show up at predefined intervals? I'm one seal short from having all the units I want promoted. I did one story chapter + one challenge (Birthright) and the shop hasn't gotten anything.

Upgrading the shop gives it more master seals. Otherwise keep playing. Decent amount of enemies in the mid-high teens drop master seals and I believe the shock does restock at one point though I can't remember exactly.

Been playing not as frequently lately as busy with other stuff
#FE Chrom cosplay

Finished ch.16 of Birthright though... all my promotes though just tore through the level, especially Hana. So many criticals...

Once your units promote you're just gonna start tearing through everything while sending out your defensive units out front to tank anything. Game's gotten significantly easier since promoting, though I doubt it'll last for long considering what I hear about Birthright's endgame.

Camilla will be really useful for taking out the Malig Knights and
Scarlet
on Chapter 13, but the vast majority of your kills will be going to your unpromoted units. I personally deployed her on every single map, because she is very useful as backup. She did not sponge exp from my other units, and you'll need to use her anyway.

Top Bottom