• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Man was wondering how the children would tie into the plot this time and is it turns out they don't. The explanation cut scene just felt so goofy and a giant ass pull in order for them to include kids again. Any particular point where it is ideal to recruit kids or just get them as I unlock them, playing Birthright at the moment by the way.

Man was wondering how the children would tie into the plot this time and is it turns out they don't. The explanation cut scene just felt so goofy and a giant ass pull in order for them to include kids again. Any particular point where it is ideal to recruit kids or just get them as I unlock them, playing Birthright at the moment by the way.
Yeah, it's a pretty laughable justification.

Just get them as you go, the paralogues scale in difficulty based on which story chapter you're on.

I like to get them at chapter 19, then they will come with an offspring seal

I can't say I blame you for wanting to save yourself hours upon hours but I guess I'm just stuck in my ways.
I really liked save point squares in shadow dragon. good balance for keeping the game intense but taking some of the frustration away from having to restart entire levels

if you want to save a master seal, after chapter 18 is when kids start getting offspring seals to promote them

I like to get them at chapter 19, then they will come with an offspring seal

Ah okay, sounds good, first one I unlocked the chapter for was not-Tharja. Man the kids this time really are just pandering after the reception of the kids in the first game. I mean I enjoy the supports and marriage, but the kids should have just been a one-off feature.

Dimmle

The only way I'll entertain the return of an Awakening-style children narrative explanation for a second time is if at least one couple has a super old kid, like eligible for AARP.

The only way I'll entertain the return of an Awakening-style children narrative explanation for a second time is if at least one couple has a super old kid, like eligible for AARP.
Idk, this didnt work so well in the last game to use it as their story twist. I guess it would work better as random aside though

I love the kids implementation even with the weak story justification just because of how great they are as an reward. Customizing classes available to them, skills they start with, a lot of cool buildup before you goto the paralogue and grab them

Fandangox

New_Mutants_087-01.jpg

do it

Idk, this didnt work so well in the last game to use it as their story twist. I guess it would work better as random aside though

I love the kids implementation even with the weak story justification just because of how great they are as an reward. Customizing classes available to them, skills they start with, a lot of cool buildup before you goto the paralogue and grab them
I agree, the kids are such a great addition to the series mechanically that I don't mind the narrative complications they create. It helps that the paralogues are almost always great fun and tend to be just as unique and creative as the story chapters.

I agree, the kids are such a great addition to the series mechanically that I don't mind the narrative complications they create. It helps that the paralogues are almost always great fun and tend to be just as unique and creative as the story chapters.
yea, and this time especially they have done a great job with the paralogues. Asugi's had me cracking up at my own fuckup.

Since he wanted to escape I just used a rescue staff at the start and tried talking to him. When I didnt see a talk option with corrin, saizo, or his mom I realized he still wasnt having any of the whole chatting thing. So I said whatever he still has way further to walk to get to an exit from here. First ally turn he takes five steps backwards and leaves. I was laughing so hard at missing that exit

honestly, they nailed the kids mechanic great in this game, the scaling of both the kids and their chapters is great so the kids never feel left behind when they join
the lessen importance of both parent's stats on their base stat so you don't feel the urge to grind everyone to make the best kids

their story integration is non-existent but at the same time I'm rather ok with it considering I was rather disappointed at how integrated the kids were in Awakening's plot expect they were completely unimportant outside of Lucina in the actual plot itself

Draxal

Well, Rhajat is older than Hayato ...

I don't know, I kinda like each Fire Emblem having their own schtick. Children worked great in FE4, and having them done in reverse in 6 and 7 was kinda cool. I thought they worked fine for Awakening as a callback to 4, but it shouldn't be in every game now.

Well, Rhajat is older than Hayato ....
hayato is what makes this game's justification even funnier. At least in awakening you just know that at some point in the future kids were made. In fates its like, whelp, they had a kid at some point this year.

I don't know, I kinda like each Fire Emblem having their own schtick. Children worked great in FE4, and having them done in reverse in 6 and 7 was kinda cool. I thought they worked fine for Awakening as a callback to 4, but it shouldn't be in every game now.
I wont mind if they go, I just want to see something else take their place. They add a giant extra layer to the support system, as well as being great slates on their own. I have no idea how I would make the support system worthwhile using a different strategy, but if they can come up with something I'm all for it.

Dimmle

super old, though, like Canas's grandma

omlet

Okay, so I just had to restart Conquest 17 for a third time. This time because Silas got slaughtered by one of the mooks with an Armorslayor and there is NO INDICATION on the character stats in this game if a character is considered to have one of those special vulnerabilities (he's still on horseback so I was thinking I just needed to keep Effie away from that guy). What the hell? I mean, flying or mounted is obvious but is there really no indication of whether a character is counted as dragon, armored, or whatever other possible vulnerability like there has been before?

Okay, so I just had to restart Conquest 17 for a third time. This time because Silas got slaughtered by one of the mooks with an Armorslayor and there is NO INDICATION on the character stats in this game if a character is considered to have one of those special vulnerabilities (he's still on horseback so I was thinking I just needed to keep Effie away from that guy). What the hell? I mean, flying or mounted is obvious but is there really no indication of whether a character is counted as dragon, armored, or whatever other possible vulnerability like there has been before?

There should be an ! bubble over an enemies head if they have something dangerous to that unit. Red for weakness (like beast killer, or bows on flying, etc), yellow for high crit.

Azuran

Banned

Yeah it's annoying having to figure that out. I learned the hard way that mounted characters count both as beasts and armored units. I thought beasts were only the shape shifting units like Corrin and Kaden :/

Azuran

Banned
the only mounted unit that counts as armored should be great knights

That's so inconsistent. I thought Paladins also counted as armored units until now.

Is there a place that has a list of what counts as what? I tried looking around but Google failed me.

That's so inconsistent. I thought Paladins also counted as armored units until now.

Is there a place that has a list of what counts as what? I tried looking around but Google failed me.
For Armorslayer it should be Knight, Great Knight, and General. Makes sense if you think about it.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
So i bought the game on a whim since it looked good. Haven't really played SRPGs since playing FFT. Is there anything i should know of ahead?

Dimmle

So i bought the game on a whim since it looked good. Haven't really played SRPGs since playing FFT. Is there anything i should know of ahead?

Learn the weapon triangle(s) and the pair up system:

Weapon triangles:

1. Swords beat axes beat lances.

2. Magic beats bows beat shurikens/daggers.

Having the advantage in either of these triangles will primarily grant you a greater Hit % (the chance you'll connect) and slightly reduce the damage you take, grant slightly more damage, etc.

The pair up system has two main facets. In both modes, you are granted stat bonuses depending on which units you are pairing up with:

1. Pairing up offensively, known as "dual striking" is done by placing one of your units next to another unit who is either attacking or counterattacking. The unit adjacent to your unit in combat will lend his/her strength, giving you two attacks in one. This can be a huge boon when you're the one dual striking and a huge pain when an enemy uses the mechanic against you.

2. Pairing up defensively, otherwise known as just plain pairing up, is done by selecting a unit, moving them on top or next to another unit, and selecting "Pair Up." The primary function of the defensive pair up is to block the second hits of an opponent's dual strike. All second hits will be nullified if you are assuming a defensive pair up. Additionally, sustaining attacks while paired up will fill a Guard Meter on the battle screen. After taking five or so attacks, your Guard Meter will fill completely and you will be granted a guaranteed block. This can be a huge advantage if you accidentally left a vulnerable pair out in the open and they survive a few assaults. Additionally, the unit who has chosen to pair up with another unit cannot be hurt by the enemy, so this is a good way to protect vulnerable units. Units paired up defensively will move together and the main unit that sees combat may be swapped on your turn.

If you master the weapon triangles and pair ups, you should be prepared for anything that comes your way. If you forget any of this, the game has a really excellent Guide that's available any time during play.

Balphon

http://fireemblemwiki.org/wiki/Effective_damage

They don't have a list for Fates but it's more or less the same as Awakening.

The other thing that may not be intuitive is that Keaton/Kaden/Selkie/Velouria/Kana(possibly) will still count as beasts even if you reclass them.

NawtKool

Neo Member
Learn the weapon triangle(s) and the pair up system:

Weapon triangles:

1. Swords beat axes beat lances.

2. Magic beats bows beat shurikens/daggers.

Having the advantage in either of these triangles will primarily grant you a greater Hit % (the chance you'll connect) and slightly reduce the damage you take, grant slightly more damage, etc.
It's actually slightly different than that. Every weapon class has a colored background on it (that's dominantly Red, Green, or Blue). Then the weapon triangle follows pokemon rules where R>G>B>R. Also, I believe the stones fall outside of the weapon triangle, making it neutral to everything.

For example, swords will still beat axes. But they will also beat bows.

Astral Dog

On Birthright endgame, and it's so silly.

They couldn't put a save point before Dragon Garon? Really?

I think its ok, the final chapters are manageable and its less two proper chapters and more like first form, second form part boss.

(that said, i read you can save before endgame on the select units menu)

Dimmle

It's actually slightly different than that. Every weapon class has a colored background on it (that's dominantly Red, Green, or Blue). Then the weapon triangle follows pokemon rules where R>G>B>R. Also, I believe the stones fall outside of the weapon triangle, making it neutral to everything.

For example, swords will still beat axes. But they will also beat bows.

Ah, right, sorry, I knew I would forget something. Yeah, so magic beats axes, bows beat lances, etc. As an old Fire Emblem player, it's been really difficult to get the new triangle down.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Question: Can you raise weapon proficiency on Conquest through Castle and DLC battles? I tried a Castle battle and stared at that weapon meter and I swear it does not raise.

Am I crazy?

Reset

Just reached Chapter 14 in Conquest(taking my time), and man that scene was kinda embarrassing to watch. Oh and I guess everyone is stupid in this game.

Question: Can you raise weapon proficiency on Conquest through Castle and DLC battles? I tried a Castle battle and stared at that weapon meter and I swear it does not raise.

Am I crazy?
I don't think you can.
Only for the EXP DLC it works. If you try like the Gold DLC weapon levels don't go up

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.

I would like to have a future FE game where the kids are more important.

As in halfway through the game, the main cast dies or for story reasons, they are gone and the kids are basically the lead characters. Awakening kinda implied that with Lucina's storyline, but how about go all out and have the kids be the leads halfway through the game?

At least it would be more consequential to have kids, and who their parents are can shape the second half of the story.

L95

I would like to have a future FE game where the kids are more important.

As in halfway through the game, the main cast dies or for story reasons, they are gone and the kids are basically the lead characters. Awakening kinda implied that with Lucina's storyline, but how about go all out and have the kids be the leads halfway through the game?

At least it would be more consequential to have kids, and who their parents are can shape the second half of the story.

Time for a Battle of Belhalla reenactment.... with real fire :B

NeonZ

That's FE4...

Also, it's just 6 chapters, but Fates new Japanese DLC, Recollection of Bubbles/Memories of Foam, seems to be basically doing that, although apparently it's just default versions of the children, rather than ones based on the player's game file.

vareon

Finished Birthright Paralogues! Now on to the final chapters.

All these great children units and I won't be using them for the main story, lol. They just don't belong there.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Shiro's paralogue is impossible without a rescue staff... confirm or deny?

twelver

Shiro's paralogue is impossible without a rescue staff... confirm or deny?

I just did that mission. I had to charge in ryoma straight for shiro while activating a few dragon veins so he could move swiftly North. He is able to solo most of the units on the way with support from the rest of your army from rear.

Oh lord the new DLC... It seems almost impossible to do with camilla, but shockingly easy with Elise.

Effie is just way too good.

She one shot Ryoma and Xander and pretty much everyone she manages to hit and tanks like no one's business.

Oh lord the new DLC... It seems almost impossible to do with camilla, but shockingly easy with Elise.

Effie is just way too good.

She one shot Ryoma and Xander and pretty much everyone she manages to hit and tanks like no one's business.
Yeah, Effie is really good, especially in Revelations. Camilla isn't really meant to be a tank, which is why the DLC could be hard for her.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Shigure makes a really cool Lodestar, by the way

Alright what kind of garbage is Revelation Chapter 17 on Hard. First of all, you can't save after Chapter 16. Then, you're given a bunch of underlevelled units so even if you only brought your tough heavyweights it doesn't matter. Then at least 10 mounted units rush you on each side. Peri died on like turn 4 because she couldn't dodge 1 of 2 50% hits while sitting in a fort. I (wrongly) assumed that maybe as a level 16 she could sit in a fort and be okay while Odin and Niles ran away to the ever shrinking free spaces in the top left. I almost threw my damn DS against the wall. This is easily the worst designed chapter of all 3 routes. Now I get to play Chapter 16 again, and while it isn't hard it's super boring waiting for those damn flame lines.

Top Bottom