• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

-Horizon-

Things like healing and Sing will only provide a support bonus between the party healing/singing and then one receiving it. So if you pair up Azura to Sakura and try to heal people they're not going to receive a boost in support rating unless they're attacked. I would assume this is the problem you are running into.

The Conquest army is full of psychos and sexual predators.

Just accept it.

Healing is worth fewer support points than teaming up on an attack, so that is probably why.
This might be it yeah.
Thanks you two.

Rhajat can be a really excellent Basara with a Lightning Naginata. Orochi is fated to be an Onmyoji.

So it sounds like Orochi should just go straight to Onmyoji, and maybe pop over to Basara for the skills and then bounce back. And Rhajat can rock being a Basara or Onmyoji? Is either worth being a Witch? I was hoping to make somebody into a witch...

NeonZ

Conquest is awesome but man these past few chapters have been a bit too gimicky for my tastes. I appreciate the diverse map design, it's a nice change from Awakening but Conquest Chapters 17-20 have been brutal with these bizarre rule changes brought in. I've been slogging through it but failing repeatedly on maps makes it hard for me to stay motivated. Chapter 10 remains my favourite of the Conquest maps so far. After I finish Conquest I'll play something else as a palette cleanser before returning to tackle Birthright.

The weird map gimmicks stop after chapter 20 - although chapter 21 has an annoying gimmick tied to certain skills used by the enemies.

So it sounds like Orochi should just go straight to Onmyoji, and maybe pop over to Basara for the skills and then bounce back. And Rhajat can rock being a Basara or Onmyoji? Is either worth being a Witch? I was hoping to make somebody into a witch...

You can make either into a Witch really. Witches can only use tomes, so its more like a Sorcerer, but they get higher caps and have fairly high mag and speed growths. If you have to pick one, I would argue that Rhajat is better suited if only because Orochi's pathetic speed growth can't really be salvaged by the high speed growth a witch adds (Orochi has base 15% growth, and witch gives + 20% = 35%). On that same note though, Rhajat works well in pretty much any magic role since her base growths are great anyway, so Witch has little to add. If you want the best chance at making the best Orochi, then Witch should go to her. If you want to have the best Witch you can, give it to Rhajat.

CSX

Finished Revelation

A lot of these paired-up character endings especially the children units have little to no reference that they...married or hooked up.

Disappointing since it's one of the things I found charming since the first FE

WolfeTone

The weird map gimmicks stop after chapter 20 - although chapter 21 has an annoying gimmick tied to certain skills used by the enemies.

Good to know. Hopefully I can power through and finish Conquest this weekend. I'm skipping some of the remaining paralogues since the couple of kids I've gotten so far don't seem that great anyway. I don't need Niles' or Xander's kids

Dimmle

Good to know. Hopefully I can power through and finish Conquest this weekend. I'm skipping some of the remaining paralogues since the couple of kids I've gotten so far don't seem that great anyway. I don't need Niles' or Xander's kids
Haha, those two kids in particular are some of my best units. Almost every unit is viable, though.

Dimmle

Rhajat is probably good as anything magic but she's surprisingly sturdy so Basara is a nice tanky profession for her. Ending Orochi's run as a witch seems sound!

Nohar

Pre-ordered Birthright, and I plan to buy the Conquest version digitally as soon as I complete Birthright's campaign. Still a little annoyed that I have to wait until the 20th May to be able to finally play it. Oh well.

Reading this topic for the last few weeks has been interesting. I managed to avoid spoilers, though by all accounts the story is the weak spot of the game (especially the Conquest one, to my dismay). Thanksfully, the gameplay seems top notch, and an improvement from Awakening, which I found to be really lacking compared to previous Fire Emblem games (Awakening is fun, but "Dual Units" was a completed broken mecanic, allowing units to just snowball through the maps without any problems, and maps were rather simplistic, with little to no side objectives ; not a fan of being able to just grind ad-nauseum either, though that possibility did exist in previous FE titles thanks to the arena and/or exploiting a boss's regeneration).
The difficulty seems to be back, and I'm really looking forward having an hard time with some maps, though it seems that some maps are incredibly long and difficult from what I gathered here.

Azuran

Banned
Why is the story so freaking bad in Conquest? I pretty much hate everything about it once you enter Hoshido. Corrin and Azura are dumbasses in this game and no one should actually be listening to those two.

And the worst part is that they were fine in Birthright which only makes this travesty even more mind boggling.

You can make either into a Witch really. Witches can only use tomes, so its more like a Sorcerer, but they get higher caps and have fairly high mag and speed growths. If you have to pick one, I would argue that Rhajat is better suited if only because Orochi's pathetic speed growth can't really be salvaged by the high speed growth a witch adds (Orochi has base 15% growth, and witch gives + 20% = 35%). On that same note though, Rhajat works well in pretty much any magic role since her base growths are great anyway, so Witch has little to add. If you want the best chance at making the best Orochi, then Witch should go to her. If you want to have the best Witch you can, give it to Rhajat.

Rhajat is probably good as anything magic but she's surprisingly sturdy so Basara is a nice tanky profession for her. Ending Orochi's run as a witch seems sound!

Thank you!

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Why is the story so freaking bad in Conquest? I pretty much hate everything about it once you enter Hoshido. Corrin and Azura are dumbasses in this game and no one should actually be listening to those two.

And the worst part is that they were fine in Birthright which only makes this travesty even more mind boggling.
Story

Birthright > Conquest

Characters

Conquest > Birthright

Pre-ordered Birthright, and I plan to buy the Conquest version digitally as soon as I complete Birthright's campaign. Still a little annoyed that I have to wait until the 20th May to be able to finally play it. Oh well.

Reading this topic for the last few weeks has been interesting. I managed to avoid spoilers, though by all accounts the story is the weak spot of the game (especially the Conquest one, to my dismay). Thanksfully, the gameplay seems top notch, and an improvement from Awakening, which I found to be really lacking compared to previous Fire Emblem games (Awakening is fun, but "Dual Units" was a completed broken mecanic, allowing units to just snowball through the maps without any problems, and maps were rather simplistic, with little to no side objectives ; not a fan of being able to just grind ad-nauseum either, though that possibility did exist in previous FE titles thanks to the arena and/or exploiting a boss's regeneration).
The difficulty seems to be back, and I'm really looking forward having an hard time with some maps, though it seems that some maps are incredibly long and difficult from what I gathered here.

While maps are hard, I don't actually find them to be particularly long. Most of the time, you spend a lot of time figuring out what to do because you messed up, or because you misunderstood the mechanics (or gimmicks as some would say). Thankfully, for mechanics, the first few interactions are made to show you exactly how they work and don't punish you for it. I actually really like the learning curve they put into most levels since it gives you just enough to understand, and by the end you know enough to exploit them for some neat tricks and deal with the harder enemies.

The only thing I wish we had a bit more of are defend missions. While what we got was hard (I had trouble and lots of people seems to on here as well) it was the mission that made me feel satisfied and accomplished. Defend missions usually challenge your unit placement and enemy count management skills more than anything else, since you never really get a break. It really pays off when you figure out how to balance culling the enemy numbers with keeping your units close enough to catch anyone who manages to slip by. I won't say much more for fear of spoiling, but the Conquest defend mission is my favourite FE mission I've played in a very long while. One of the few missions that really push you to the edge, especially since most people likely haven't gotten a hold of the new mechanics by that point.

Balphon

Keeping myself mostly spoiler free...

Is Azura supposed to be awful or am I missing something?

Mechanically or as a character?

Gameplay-wise she is your dancer and is perfectly fine at it, though it's possible to convert her into a glass cannon melee fighter.

As a character she's a little bland and suffers from being surrounded by colorful weirdos. She has a couple nice, low-key supports though.

Xenoflare

Keeping myself mostly spoiler free...

Is Azura supposed to be awful or am I missing something?

Traditionally refreshers are not supposed to fight. Olivia in Awakening is kinda a outcast due to reclassing (but she is still an extremely fragile fighter)

Technically you are not supposed to use Azura to fight, since the entire purpose of her class is to let another unit to act twice in the same phase.

With that said, Azura has some crazy str and spd growths. Like, she can actually blick enemies if you want her to, which is kinda crazy if you ask me. Although she will pass out when the wind is blowing at her direction.

In Conquest she just stayed as a pure refresher, in Revelations I managed get her Lance rank to C because the unit roster is non-existent.

If this is plot related, she's not really the most offensively bad character in the game, though she is one huge plot device on her own.

Revelations Spoilers

Since in both Birthright and Conquest she vanishes due to singing too much particularly during the endgame, while the theme made it sounds like she's the one who is singing, but then is she still singing in the Revelation endgame?

asagami_

Banned
Traditionally refreshers are not supposed to fight. Olivia in Awakening is kinda a outcast due to reclassing (but she is still an extremely fragile fighter)

Technically you are not supposed to use Azura to fight, since the entire purpose of her class is to let another unit to act twice in the same phase.

With that said, Azura has some crazy str and spd growths. Like, she can actually blick enemies if you want her to, which is kinda crazy if you ask me. Although she will pass out when the wind is blowing at her direction.

In Conquest she just stayed as a pure refresher, in Revelations I managed get her Lance rank to C because the unit roster is non-existent.

Haha the same happen with my Azura. I don't let her fight, but if one enemy try to attack her she will defend herself verywell.

Xenoflare

Haha the same happen with my Azura. I don't let her fight, but if one enemy try to attack her she will defend herself verywell.

Azura is like lottery, if she dodges a fatal attack she can kill her opponents via doubling. Her Str is godly

Her fighting animations is absolutely hilarious, I think the dev is trying to make her look like she's dancing but man it's just so funny to me.

Also if you look carefully she's actually not holding her weapon it just kinda goes through her wrist when she's in her victory pose/ resting position.

Pau

Grinding for supports on Birthright using all the benchwarmers of my army. It's surprisingly fun. Especially since I'm not worrying too much about their level ups.

I just opened up my Roy Amiibo and I get a not supported message, did I miss some news about it, thought it would be supported? First amiibo I've opened to use, felt bad opening it but meh have another one incoming, very nice detail on the straps and cape.

PK Gaming

Cd0oV8aWoAAntrP.jpg

haha holy shit

Chrom

I just opened up my Roy Amiibo and I get a not supported message, did I miss some news about it, thought it would be supported? First amiibo I've opened to use, felt bad opening it but meh have another one incoming, very nice detail on the straps and cape.

Only the initial four Fire Emblem amiibo are compatible with the game. Roy was never announced to be supported.

Only the initial four Fire Emblem amiibo are compatible with the game. Roy was never announced to be supported.

Ouch, thanks, he's the only FE amiibo I own sadly, I may have confused Ike's cape with Roy's cape. Guess I'll have to import the rest if i really want them.

Well Revelation Chapter 17 was a lot easier on my second attempt. I guess the stress of messing up and playing late at night wasn't a good combination. I let Leo and Xander handle the entire right side, with some help from Hinoka with a Beast Killer, and the rest of my squad handled the left side.

It feels weird to have every unit at my disposal now, with the exception of like, Fuga and Flora who will join at My Castle in a handful of chapters.

Obviously excluding the kids, which just makes things worse.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'm a bit overwhelmed by how much freedom Revelation throws at you. There's so many units I want to use.

Mechanically or as a character?

Gameplay-wise she is your dancer and is perfectly fine at it, though it's possible to convert her into a glass cannon melee fighter.

As a character she's a little bland and suffers from being surrounded by colorful weirdos. She has a couple nice, low-key supports though.
azura and kaden support is so good. Azura is a lot better in supports that get her to break out of her shell. And it makes the fact that she has that shell more interesting.

Reset

So I'm finally up to chapter 20 in Conquest and decided to go do the missions that involves recruiting the kids. And damn the whole idea of having children as units in this game is stupid, there isn't any good reason for them being there. They're shoehorned in.
Oh and this is really one of the more embarrassing games to play in front of others(the face rubbing, blowing through the microphone, that dance scene in Chapter 14,etc.)

I hope they cut some of this stuff out in the next game, but with Fates being even more successful than Awakening at launch I doubt it'll happen. :/

-Horizon-

Another question for birthright: what story chapter will be the last chapter that you get a new character for your team?

I kind of want to have everyone on hand before I start marrying people off lol

Astral Dog

So I'm finally up to chapter 20 in Conquest and decided to go do the missions that involves recruiting the kids. And damn the whole idea of having children as units in this game is stupid, there isn't any good reason for them being there. They're shoehorned in.
Oh and this is really one of the more embarrassing games to play in front of others(the face rubbing, blowing through the microphone, that dance scene in Chapter 14,etc.)

I hope they cut some of this stuff out in the next game, but with Fates being even more successful than Awakening at launch I doubt it'll happen. :/

what, blowing through the microphone?

And the dance scene was kinda cool despite the cheesy lyrics the opera house looks good and if you dont like that type of dance there is Hoshido/Birthright ;)

Conquest 10 seems like a really neat hold-the-line mission that is unfortunately killing me dead on Normal/Classic. I don't really want to drop down to Casual needlessly but I just spent two hours with nothing to show for it. The worst is feeling like I have the general strategy figured out but losing people in the last turn to random shit. I wish I had save states.

Also, Arthur can go die in a fire. I threw both my Goddess Icons at him to bring his luck up and I'm still not sure it was worth it.

Lynx_7

That last rush of enemies on that paralogue is a lot to deal with. I ended up leading them all the way to the bottom of the map and finishing them off there.

The sheer number of enemies can get a bit overwhelming for sure, but I managed to beat the paralogue much more smoothly than the first try by actually making use of the dragon veins. Turns out Percy is a cool kid but he needs to work on the whole "almost killing his father and friends" thing.

The very last turn of chapter 23 Conquest almost gave me a heart attack. So,
Takumi is the last man standing and I'm thinking about a good way to dispose of him since he looks really dangerous if you just carelessly approach him. I then decide to use Corrin to weaken him first and also get the flavor dialogue between the two of them, while planning to finish the fight with Mozu which is pretty much always the only one with a guaranteed 100% hit on everything that moves. I had accounted for Vengeance triggering which is why I used a weapon that would deal just enough damage for Corrin to survive the retalation, and then he decides he wants to be cute and TRIGGERS THE DAMN DRAGON FANG dealing much more damage than he can take in return. Takumi then triggers Vengeance because why wouldn't he, I start yelling "no no no" and getting myself ready to throw my 3DS at a wall, and then... Corrin actually dodges a 70% hit attack and triggers Dragon Fang AGAIN finishing off Takumi by himself.
Dude, that was poetic and all but never scare me like that again. I still haven't fully recovered my breath. Just the thought of going through those enemy formations all over again...

jackal27

Banned
Ahhhhh someone help me!

I can't decide if I want to marry Reina or Caeldori and it's driving me crazy! I like them both a lot. I probably prefer Reina's design a little, but Caeldori levels up sooooo fast and is really powerful.

Anybody married them? How has it worked out?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The sheer number of enemies can get a bit overwhelming for sure, but I managed to beat the paralogue much more smoothly than the first try by actually making use of the dragon veins. Turns out Percy is a cool kid but he needs to work on the whole "almost killing his father and friends" thing.

The very last turn of chapter 23 Conquest almost gave me a heart attack. So,
Takumi is the last man standing and I'm thinking about a good way to dispose of him since he looks really dangerous if you just carelessly approach him. I then decide to use Corrin to weaken him first and also get the flavor dialogue between the two of them, while planning to finish the fight with Mozu which is pretty much always the only one with a guaranteed 100% hit on everything that moves. I had accounted for Vengeance triggering which is why I used a weapon that would deal just enough damage for Corrin to survive the retalation, and then he decides he wants to be cute and TRIGGERS THE DAMN DRAGON FANG dealing much more damage than he can take in return. Takumi then triggers Vengeance because why wouldn't he, I start yelling "no no no" and getting myself ready to throw my 3DS at a wall, and then... Corrin actually dodges a 70% hit attack and triggers Dragon Fang AGAIN finishing off Takumi by himself.
Dude, that was poetic and all but never scare me like that again. I still haven't fully recovered my breath. Just the thought of going through those enemy formations all over again...

This kind of reminds me. I had an instance where a character missed a 90-something hit attack that was pretty much a must-hit situation to keep them from dying. Once they missed I gave up and reset because the counter attack with 80ish hit was going to kill them. Right as I hit the button combination to soft reset, the dodge animation starts and "miss" appears on the screen, too late.

I'd have probably done the same thing in your case as soon as Dragon's Fang activated.

King Fost

Neo Member
Ahhhhh someone help me!

I can't decide if I want to marry Reina or Caeldori and it's driving me crazy! I like them both a lot. I probably prefer Reina's design a little, but Caeldori levels up sooooo fast and is really powerful.

Anybody married them? How has it worked out?

Flip a coin

Lynx_7

This kind of reminds me. I had an instance where a character missed a 90-something hit attack that was pretty much a must-hit situation to keep them from dying. Once they missed I gave up and reset because the counter attack with 80ish hit was going to kill them. Right as I hit the button combination to soft reset, the dodge animation starts and "miss" appears on the screen, too late.

I'd have probably done the same thing in your case as soon as Dragon's Fang activated.

It sucks when you end up making poor decisions because of reflexes, I know that feeling all to well. It doesn't help that RNG shenanigans in Fates feel somewhat more present than in any of my other experiences with Fire Emblem. It doesn't seem all that uncommon to see two units with a 90% hit missing each other which is kind of funny.
It can also lead to some pretty epic stuff like my Leo dodging and critting his way through an army of like 8 units going at him which should have absolutely done him for but he didn't care because he's motherflipping Leo and that's just how he rolls. It seriously gave me Donnel flashbacks.
On the other hand it can also lead to some really stupid shit like having to reset a chapter because the almighty Master Ninja Kaze apparently can't dodge 30% hits not even once. Ever.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It sucks when you end up making poor decisions because of reflexes, I know that feeling all to well. It doesn't help that RNG shenanigans in Fates feel somewhat more present than in any of my other experiences with Fire Emblem. It doesn't seem all that uncommon to see two units with a 90% hit missing each other which is kind of funny.
It can also lead to some pretty epic stuff like my Leo dodging and critting his way through an army of like 8 units going at him which should have absolutely done him for but he didn't care because he's motherflipping Leo and that's just how he rolls. It seriously gave me Donnel flashbacks.
On the other hand it can also lead to some really stupid shit like having to reset a chapter because the almighty Master Ninja Kaze apparently can't dodge 30% hits not even once. Ever.

I wish my Leo was good. He's slow and misses every time I ever try to have him hit anything, so he never gets experience or levels.

And yeah, Felicia missing twice with a 97 hit rate is probably going to be the "lowlight" of Conquest for me. I refuse to believe this game uses the same 2RN system as previous games.

Top Bottom