• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Fauve

Conquest 10 seems like a really neat hold-the-line mission that is unfortunately killing me dead on Normal/Classic. I don't really want to drop down to Casual needlessly but I just spent two hours with nothing to show for it. The worst is feeling like I have the general strategy figured out but losing people in the last turn to random shit. I wish I had save states.

Also, Arthur can go die in a fire. I threw both my Goddess Icons at him to bring his luck up and I'm still not sure it was worth it.

Are you making use of battle saves? They're the closest things to save states.

NeonZ

Another question for birthright: what story chapter will be the last chapter that you get a new character for your team?

I kind of want to have everyone on hand before I start marrying people off lol

In Birthright, you get the last 1st gen unit that can marry units besides the avatar in the end of chapter 13/ beginning of chapter 14. There are still some 1st gen units that only join afterwards, but they're all avatar-only.

Getting to the point in conquest where I've only done 1 paralogue and so my units are far too low in lvl to not die in a single hit.

Guess I better get Silas and Laslow to their promos quick.

Ahhhhh someone help me!

I can't decide if I want to marry Reina or Caeldori and it's driving me crazy! I like them both a lot. I probably prefer Reina's design a little, but Caeldori levels up sooooo fast and is really powerful.

Anybody married them? How has it worked out?

Who is Caeldori's mother?

I'd go Reina because she gives better modifiers.

Are you making use of battle saves? They're the closest things to save states.

Battle saves are only available in Casual.

Yep. Classic only gets bookmarks, which are suspend states.

Like many of the times I come into the thread to complain about my lack of skills (sorry!), I did eventually get past it. It only took me one more reset this time! I'm worried about future levels, though, and am considering whether I want to try alternatives to dropping to Casual, like Boo Camp. I can't decide what would be a bigger stain on my Conquest campaign.

Luigi87

Finally beat Conquest 16. That was... A pretty challenging map (compared to 13-15). The enemy levels seem to have spiked, and some of my units just seemed under-leveled compared to some others.

What really sucked is I wanted Peri to finish the map so she would get the EXP and hit lv.20 so I could promote her, but I felt at 88% hit chance against the, I didn't want to risk it, since if she missed she would die, lol. I'll have to send her into ch.17 holding a Master Seal I guess.

Anywho, Birthright 17 is next.

Do certain skills prevent other skills from activating?

Because it just occurred to me that I haven't seen Rend Heaven or Astra activate in a really long time on two of my units. I think I remember something in Awakening about certain skills overriding others and preventing them from happening?

Because it just occurred to me that I haven't seen Rend Heaven or Astra activate in a really long time on two of my units. I think I remember something in Awakening about certain skills overriding others and preventing them from happening?
If your skill stat is bad, the skills may not activate. Skills that have a lower chance of activating roll first. If they don't activate, it goes on to skills with higher activation rates. For example, Lethality---> Sol.

If your skill stat is bad, the skills may not activate. Skills that have a lower chance of activating roll first. If they don't activate, it goes on to skills with higher activation rates. For example, Lethality---> Sol.

Is this true regardless of what stat is used as a multiplier?

What about skills like Venom and Grisly Wound, do they stack?

What about the Seal skills? Can Strength and Defense Seal work together? EDIT: Looks like seals targeting different stats do work together.

GamerSoul

I am stuck on chp 17 Conquest.it's not really that bad a map so far. It's just getting to the point where placing one unit incorrectly screws up everything. It also didn't help when an enemy master ninja only moved when he knew he could help take out a unit..( ´_ゝ`)

I'm at Conquest 17 and it seems that shit just got pretty real. Also, should I be worried? I've promoted only two units, Corrin and Elise, and the rest of my units ranges from 14 to 17. Did I fuck up on the exp spread on my units? I decided on my final rooster after chapter 15 and been focusing on leveling those units only, but it still feels like I'm a couple of steps back from where I should be.

Fauve

Yep. Classic only gets bookmarks, which are suspend states.

Like many of the times I come into the thread to complain about my lack of skills (sorry!), I did eventually get past it. It only took me one more reset this time! I'm worried about future levels, though, and am considering whether I want to try alternatives to dropping to Casual, like Boo Camp. I can't decide what would be a bigger stain on my Conquest campaign.

Oh really? Had no idea about that.

Balphon

I'm at Conquest 17 and it seems that shit just got pretty real. Also, should I be worried? I've promoted only two units, Corrin and Elise, and the rest of my units ranges from 14 to 17. Did I fuck up on the exp spread on my units? I decided on my final rooster after chapter 15 and been focusing on leveling those units only, but it still feels like I'm a couple of steps back from where I should be.

Your units are underleveled and that will make chapter 17 a bit of a nightmare. I deliberately did a paralogues right before that chapter with an eye to getting everyone to 20 and promoting, which seems to be around where the game expects you to be.

Your units are underleveled and that will make chapter 17 a bit of a nightmare. I deliberately did a paralogues right before that chapter with an eye to getting everyone to 20 and promoting, which seems to be around where the game expects you to be.

Makes sense, I haven't done any paralogues aside from Mozu's. That should help me tip the scales (see what I did there? my mom would be proud, spoiler alert: she wouldn't)

Yeah I've noticed that in all 3 routes the game expects you to have most of your units promoted by Chapter 16-18. I found that in Conquest my best units were at the right levels, in Birthright all of my units were at the right levels and in Revelation nobody was at the right levels except for pre-premoted units. I don't know what that says about me, but I feel that I'm good enough at the game that it probably has more to do with unit balance and availability of EXP in each route.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Oh my god. Odin's personal skill is hilarious.

Aching Blood increases Odin's critical rate by 10% should he be wielding a forged weapon with at least 12 characters in its name.

-Horizon-

Chapter 15 if you don't count bonus units.

22, and some bonus units that can be recruited whenever

In Birthright, you get the last 1st gen unit that can marry units besides the avatar in the end of chapter 13/ beginning of chapter 14. There are still some 1st gen units that only join afterwards, but they're all avatar-only.

So basically around chapter 14 for units that can marry anyone other than the avatar. And around 22 for avatar only units. Alright, sounds doable. I guess my avatar will have to remain single for the time being.

demidar

Is this true regardless of what stat is used as a multiplier?

What about skills like Venom and Grisly Wound, do they stack?

What about the Seal skills? Can Strength and Defense Seal work together? EDIT: Looks like seals targeting different stats do work together.

Skills that reduce HP stack. I have a Kaze that has Savage Blow and Poison Stike. The target he attacks loses 40% and everyone else within 2 spaces loses 20% (even though the game only shows Savage Blow triggering).

You're probably using a weapon that doesn't allow skill procs aren't you.

NeonZ

So basically around chapter 14 for units that can marry anyone other than the avatar. And around 22 for avatar only units. Alright, sounds doable. I guess my avatar will have to remain single for the time being.

Are you playing with a male or a female avatar? Now, that I think about it, all units you get after chapter 14 in Birthright are male.

Sora_N

Chapter 8 Conquest Hard Tips? I've been stuck for a while.

There must be a trick to using the dragon veins. I also don't know how to visit the houses before the enemy.

GamerSoul

I feel your pain man. Some of my units feel like they are not quite there yet. And those mechanist hit HARD.

You're probably using a weapon that doesn't allow skill procs aren't you.

I am not. I don't know why. Shiro has 27% skill, so I should be seeing Astra roughly 1/4th of the time. I guess I've just been unlucky.

Weapons that don't allow those things say so in the description, right?

New question: If a unit is already Level 20 and you use a Heart Seal, do they automatically get the skills from the new class or do they NEVER get them?

Renewed

There must be a trick to using the dragon veins. I also don't know how to visit the houses before the enemy.

I never used the Dragon Vein but it seems like a trap or just a stall tactic for the reinforcements. For the houses, I figure you can take down the sub boss and rush to the west most house or go north while worrying about the units that'll come out on the first turn. A Freeze staff is useful in either case, I think once is enough to get in and take down the runners.

What I did was take Elise and Silas to the southwest house about one space past the house entrance and used a Freeze. The sub boss used Freeze on Elise while Silas could get in and claim the house reward first. After that I was free to take the house I was right next to with Elise.

I am not. I don't know why. Shiro has 27% skill, so I should be seeing Astra roughly 1/4th of the time. I guess I've just been unlucky.

New question: If a unit is already Level 20 and you use a Heart Seal, do they automatically get the skills from the new class or do they NEVER get them?

Well Astra activation rate is Skill x 0.5. Also if you wanted, you could Heart Seal and then promote. After getting to level 2 you get the first skill from the previous class and then level 3 gets you the second skill from the previous class. You can catch up on missed skills like that.

I never used the Dragon Veins either. I essentially did what Renewed did; I think taking out the spear fighter that activates the first house is crucial, as I'm guessing he goes and alerts the other houses if you don't catch up to him and kill him. If you take him down, you have a bit of time to get up to the north and claim the third house before another runner gets to it.

Sora_N

I never used the Dragon Vein but it seems like a trap or just a stall tactic for the reinforcements. For the houses, I figure you can take down the sub boss and rush to the west most house or go north while worrying about the units that'll come out on the first turn. A Freeze staff is useful in either case, I think once is enough to get in and take down the runners.

What I did was take Elise and Silas to the southwest house about one space past the house entrance and used a Freeze. The sub boss used Freeze on Elise while Silas could get in and claim the house reward first. After that I was free to take the house I was right next to with Elise.

Well Astra activation rate is Skill x 0.5. Also if you wanted, you could Heart Seal and then promote. After getting to level 2 you get the first skill from the previous class and then level 3 gets you the second skill from the previous class. You can catch up on missed skills like that.

I never used the Dragon Veins either. I essentially did what Renewed did; I think taking out the spear fighter that activates the first house is crucial, as I'm guessing he goes and alerts the other houses if you don't catch up to him and kill him. If you take him down, you have a bit of time to get up to the north and claim the third house before another runner gets to it.

Thanks guys this game is tricky as hell

You get them once you level up. The same thing happened with my Corrin and I got the two skills at level 1 and 2 on the promoted class. To get the skills, you'll have to use a Master Seal, then level up, or use an Eternal Seal. Astra's activation rate is skill *0.5 so it's not a 1/4 chance to proc.

I haven't kept up with this thread because I finally got around to playing this game a couple of days ago, but I just wanted to pop in and say how disappointing it is that nearly every song in this game has the game's main theme in it. I get that the song is important and everything, but some variation in the soundtrack would be nice.

That is all, carry on.

Neol

I haven't kept up with this thread because I finally got around to playing this game a couple of days ago, but I just wanted to pop in and say how disappointing it is that nearly every song in this game has the game's main theme in it. I get that the song is important and everything, but some variation in the soundtrack would be nice.

That is all, carry on.

It honestly wouldn't be so bad if Azura didn't spam it in every cutscene she's in.

Literally a one hit wonder.

Xenoflare

You need an Eternal Seal for boost their level cap, you only obtain skills when you level up

You're telling me. I'm stuck on Chapter 11. Dunno what I'm going to do about one specific portion (
archers with goddamned Counter skills wreck me so hard
).

Good luck!

If that side is giving you a lot of trouble, you could always go the other. What I did was kill them with Effie and a Javelin. Counter doesn't activate if you kill the enemy, or attack from farther out than 1 range. Effie was strong enough to take down the archers in one hit. For those that didn't die with one hit, they died to the javelin on the enemy turn.

If that side is giving you a lot of trouble, you could always go the other. What I did was kill them with Effie and a Javelin. Counter doesn't activate if you kill the enemy, or attack from farther out than 1 range. Effie was strong enough to take down the archers in one hit. For those that didn't die with one hit, they died to the javelin on the enemy turn.

I would normally avoid that side, except I need the sweet, sweet XP. I fear I am already underleveled and need all the help I can get for the horrors that await me.

The tip I've been reading a lot and should really take when my 3DS is done its wireless backup is "give Effie a Javelin." I learned about Counter because my Effie nearly died to it, since she can't one-shot them. (Also, if my Effie should be strong enough to one-shot them at this stage, I guess I'd better buy Boo Camp because clearly I've screwed up somewhere.)

I would normally avoid that side, except I need the sweet, sweet XP. I fear I am already underleveled and need all the help I can get for the horrors that await me.

The tip I've been reading a lot and should really take when my 3DS is done its wireless backup is "give Effie a Javelin." I learned about Counter because my Effie nearly died to it, since she can't one-shot them. (Also, if my Effie should be strong enough to one-shot them at this stage, I guess I'd better buy Boo Camp because clearly I've screwed up somewhere.)

If she's paired up with Arthur, she should be able to one-shot them with at least an iron lance, if not javelin. You could always use tonics or forge a Javelin so she can one-shot the enemy. She doesn't have to kill the archers on her turn. If she does enough damage, they'll die on the next turn once she dies.

Balphon

Tonics are very inexpensive and can be quite helpful if someone just needs a little boost to get you over the hump.

Lunatic Conquest 26 is kicking my ass. I've been at this game like a bajillion hours and I really don't want to be stuck inches from the finish line. Infinite Staves can go fuck themselves.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Question about Paralogues: Do the enemies scale to your level? Or do the paralogue numbers mean that the higher the more difficult?

NeonZ

I just got Zhara. So, with this I've managed to get every unique character from Conquest.
Zhara_03_zpsaq6okhl8.jpg
Zhara_02_zpsqm0lgoha.jpg

I'm surprised I never accidentally killed one of the capturable units. Also, it's kind of weird that in some paralogues the bosses only get the battle conversations themselves, with random generic units speaking for them beforehand.

Question about Paralogues: Do the enemies scale to your level? Or do the paralogue numbers mean that the higher the more difficult?

They scale to the point you are in the story (so if you raise your level through grinding or going through other paralogues the enemies (and allies) won't be powered up). They're also split based on the children's faction - Paralogues of Conquest exclusive children are generally harder than paralogues of Birthright or Neutral ones.

The children themselves also scale (but without promoting) and start carrying offspring seals (that allow them to promote and gain levels and weapon levels automatically) starting from chapter 19. The offspring seals themselves also carry them to later and later levels - by the final chapter, children recruited there will level up straight to level 18 promoted.

Wow that Ophelia and Odin A support... I was expecting it, but wow, the feels. Why can't they get whoever writes the supports to write the story? It would probably end up way better.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Wow that Ophelia and Odin A support... I was expecting it, but wow, the feels. Why can't they get whoever writes the supports to write the story? It would probably end up way better.
You know, I've been thinking about this. They hired a manga writer to write the script, which took two years. I wonder if the reason the story feels stilted at times is because of Nintendo's draconian policies and desire to evoke a certain feel in their games. Fire Emblem games are generally fairly generic fantasy - even its more complicated stories, like FE4 and the Tellius duology, are relatively simple narratives. I wonder if the author was held back by guidelines that he wasn't used to working with.

CazTGG

You know, I've been thinking about this. They hired a manga writer to write the script, which took two years. I wonder if the reason the story feels stilted at times is because of Nintendo's draconian policies and desire to evoke a certain feel in their games. Fire Emblem games are generally fairly generic fantasy - even its more complicated stories, like FE4 and the Tellius duology, are relatively simple narratives. I wonder if the author was held back by guidelines that he wasn't used to working with.

Kind of...maybe? According to Shin Kibayashi via Twitter, his 500 page script for the three paths was apparently heavily edited by the staff at Intelligent Systems. However, "The Making of Fire Emblem" seems to contradict this, stating that Intelligent Systems stayed pretty close to the original (including such smart things as
Garon is a literal blob monster, Blood Pact Plot Convenience 2.0 and also Corrin is not related to anyone so it's totally okay to marry their siblings you guys since Supergirl did it once before too or something
) when writing Fates story and there are credits in Fates for the main scenario going to one Nami Komuro along with credits for Yukinori Kitajima and his company, Synthese writing the supports for Birthright and Conquest in addition to supposedly penning the draft for Birthright. Believe what you want in regards to who wrote the story (according to an Iwata Asks, Kibayashi is credited creating the concept of the third path and additional features for the My Castle portion), needless to say it sounds like it was one heck of a mess.

As an aside, I would love to have seen Fates' story, Conquest in particular, done with Yasumi Matsuno at the helm/pen. Given the whole play on morality and how each campaign can be boiled down to the Law, Neutral and Chaos routes in Tactics Ogre if that game took the concept behind each path in their most simplistic manner, I think it could have been an interesting step for the series given the moral choice the game was going for (again, especially in Conquest, execution aside).

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Wow I just did the S Rank with Camila... Lol wow that is freaking WEIRD, haha that's why I wanted to S rank to see if they really let that whole thing be so weird. And then the Private Quarters conversations are just fucking creepy as hell.

Yeah I think I'm all done with the private quarters stuff. I don't understand what all he hearts are for in there, they don't really explain it but yeah that's just some real weird dating sim stuff that really really feels out of place in this war setting.

Neol

Wow I just did the S Rank with Camila... Lol wow that is freaking WEIRD, haha that's why I wanted to S rank to see if they really let that whole thing be so weird. And then the Private Quarters conversations are just fucking creepy as hell.

Yeah I think I'm all done with the private quarters stuff. I don't understand what all he hearts are for in there, they don't really explain it but yeah that's just some real weird dating sim stuff that really really feels out of place in this war setting.

But the waifu experience is one of the main selling points of Fire Emblem!

As much as it pains me to say this its kinda true :/

Astral Dog

Im sure the writter is just not used to videogames, or is not that good of a writter at all. there is a lot of bad points he made after he finished Birthright.

But then again its very difficult to make an engrossing story on 3DS with a lot of segmented gameplay chapters like FE, at least the characters are fine, and two of the individual paths offer a more focused plot than Awakening.

Top Bottom