• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Are you supposed to wait to have kids because of inheritance of skills,stats, or class? Or can you do it any time you want?

Unpromoted classes get their last skill at 10, though?

You're right! I totally forgot about that. Sorry, I've been working with promoted classes for so long and forgot that.

The only reason it would still be good to wait would be to not lose out on those ten levels of growth.

In my birthright playthrough and need to pick who isn't going to have their partner or a kid. Realized I didn't pair up Azama. Is his kid a good fighter or good character (memorable character). How about Hayato's?

Mitama is Azama's. Interesting character, with literally starry eyes and always about haiku. She was a good all-rounder in my Birthright Hard/Classic, mother Setsuna.

NeonZ

Are you supposed to wait to have kids because of inheritance of skills,stats, or class? Or can you do it any time you want?

You can wait for skill inheritance and better base stats, however the effect of increased stats on the child's base stats isn't as big as in Awakening, so picking the early won't damage their stats mcuh. Unlike in Awakening, the children's initial level also scales up with your progress in the main story too, although they stop short of promoting and only the parent's stats that surpass the child's own bases on their current level will contribute anything.

Starting from chapter 19 though, they have offspring seals that level them up, including weapon levels, and promote them automatically, also based on the player's story progression during their recruitment. By the last chapter it takes them all the way to level 18 of their promoted class, making them ready to be deployed in end-game if you need to fill slots or even replace one of your characters with an improved version if the child's pairing is good enough. The enemies in those paralogues scale up too though.

Revelation 24

That was a lot of fun.
Didnt engage a single unit
until the very end, where I lost like 2 units due to that chokepoint.

Story spoilers:
Glad I didnt pair Azura and Corrin yet, just found out they're actually Vallite cousins! Does that make Takumi Vallite royalty too, since she's also Queen Mikotos son?

Draxal

Revelation 24

That was a lot of fun.
Didnt engage a single unit
until the very end, where I lost like 2 units due to that chokepoint.

Story spoilers:
Glad I didnt pair Azura and Corrin yet, just found out they're actually Vallite cousins! Does that make Takumi Vallite royalty too, since she's also Queen Mikotos son?

Spoiler time.

Mikoto only has one blood child, Corrin. The rest are her stepkids

Spoiler time.

Mikoto only has one blood child, Corrin. The rest are her stepkids

Ah I see.
I thought since Takumi and Corrin had similar hair colors (Corrins default at least) I assumed they were both Mikotos kids. I actually thought Takumi was a retainer from the early artwork and videos since he looks so different from the rest of his siblings.

Brakke

Banned
Finally finished Birthright. Forty hours on the clock (but many more with resets...), hard, classic.

The final mission was a shitshow lol. The first two enemies that came in on me hit <10% crits and clocked people... I kind of appreciate that you can't save going into that mission, I would've reset for sure. But at that point I just wanted to get it done. Took Garon out in one round of attacks on him.

Ok but man. What an absolute mess that story was. The game goes so far out of the way to pretend like death isn't happening (except your mom): your allies "flee", you can win the friendship of a village chief by slaughtering two dozen of his people, you attempt to kill your Nohrian siblings but I guess they retreated too... and then in the home stretch they just kill two people in super cheap ways and two in melodramatic ways. So many things go totally unexplained -- like wtf is going on with Garon -- that I *guess* will be explored in the other path? Who cares. I'm skipping all dialog in the other paths.

Onward! What's next: Revelation or Conquest? I think I'll go Casual for the next, just to save time on resets.

CazTGG

Finally finished Birthright. Forty hours on the clock (but many more with resets...), hard, classic.

The final mission was a shitshow lol. The first two enemies that came in on me hit <10% crits and clocked people... I kind of appreciate that you can't save going into that mission, I would've reset for sure. But at that point I just wanted to get it done. Took Garon out in one round of attacks on him.

Ok but man. What an absolute mess that story was. The game goes so far out of the way to pretend like death isn't happening (except your mom): your allies "flee", you can win the friendship of a village chief by slaughtering two dozen of his people, you attempt to kill your Nohrian siblings but I guess they retreated too... and then in the home stretch they just kill two people in super cheap ways and two in melodramatic ways. So many things go totally unexplained -- like wtf is going on with Garon -- that I *guess* will be explored in the other path? Who cares. I'm skipping all dialog in the other paths.

Onward! What's next: Revelation or Conquest? I think I'll go Casual for the next, just to save time on resets.

If you're skipping the dialogue, then i'd recommend going through Conquest. Best map design in the series thus far. The story is the worst one seen since Radiant Dumb.

EDarkness

I have a question...what do I do about character that hit level 20 and can't level up anymore? I can't use Master Seals on them and using any other seals just keeps their level. I changed Gunter to a Paladin hoping that it would help him, but it just made him worse and I can't change him back. Corrin and Xander just capped at 20 and I can't do anything with them. In Awakening I could change them to another class and they'd drop down to level 1 so at least they could level up again. I guess that can't be done in Conquest so I need some advice. Any help would be appreciated.

CazTGG

I have a question...what do I do about character that hit level 20 and can't level up anymore? I can't use Master Seals on them and using any other seals just keeps their level. I changed Gunter to a Paladin hoping that it would help him, but it just made him worse and I can't change him back. Corrin and Xander just capped at 20 and I can't do anything with them. In Awakening I could change them to another class and they'd drop down to level 1 so at least they could level up again. I guess that can't be done in Conquest so I need some advice. Any help would be appreciated.

If you're looking to level them up more for skills, use an Eternal Seal, which lets a unit level up 5 more times once they reach the limit.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Chapter 21 feels like more hitrate shenanigans. Except this time for the enemy. These rocks are basically guaranteed KOs or near KOs on most of my characters. Hit rate of 37? 29? Doesn't matter, it is almost certainly going to hit. In 7 attempts I've seen ONE miss.

Brakke

Banned

There is an "Eternal Seal" to raise level caps. Available from Gold Rod/Staff shops. You should be able to find castles through the Recommended section that you can buy them at. V expensive tho.

Master Seal is the only one that resets level, so you shouldn't use it until 15-20. I don't know Gunter, but some units join in advanced classes (the maid/butler), and their natural cap will be higher than 20.

tmdorsey

Birthright - Hard - Classic Mode.

Just finished Chapter 10.

Lost my damn Hinoki unit being stupid. SMH. Almost want to start another playthough, but I don't think it's worth it.

Wait until 15. Always wait until 15 so you get all the skills, then get the skills from the other class in only two levels.
Unless the skill is something you really want/need that's not necessarily true at all. I reclassed Corrin to Cavalier pretty much as soon as I got Dragon Fang and I didn't miss the whatever skills from the Noble class because it was way more valuable to have Corrin on a horse (and the +3 damage skill from being a cavalier is great). Unless your only goal is having the strongest possible team at endgame then it's not really necessary at all to worry about this.

That said, switching Hinoka to Spear Fighter sort of neuters a lot of her strengths so I wouldn't recommend it at all.

EDarkness

There is an "Eternal Seal" to raise level caps. Available from Gold Rod/Staff shops. You should be able to find castles through the Recommended section that you can buy them at. V expensive tho.

Master Seal is the only one that resets level, so you shouldn't use it until 15-20. I don't know Gunter, but some units join in advanced classes (the maid/butler), and their natural cap will be higher than 20.

If you're looking to level them up more for skills, use an Eternal Seal, which lets a unit level up 5 more times once they reach the limit.

I have never seen that in my shop and it's level 3. I guess these guys are stuck at level 20, then. Just seems like a waste since they're my main units. Well, I'm on the last mission anyway and nothing carries over so I guess it's not worth bothering with.

When you say "find castles", what do you mean?

Brakke

Banned
I have never seen that in my shop and it's level 3. I guess these guys are stuck at level 20, then. Just seems like a waste since they're my main units. Well, I'm on the last mission anyway and nothing carries over so I guess it's not worth bothering with.

When you say "find castles", what do you mean?

You never visited anyone else's castle? Go talk to the orb in your castle. I don't have the game on hand but the menu is something like Visit Castles > Recommended > and then there's a list. Gotta be online: it's sort of like Street Passing people over the Internet.

EDarkness

You never visited anyone else's castle? Go talk to the orb in your castle. I don't have the game on hand but the menu is something like Visit Castles > Recommended > and then there's a list. Gotta be online: it's sort of like Street Passing people over the Internet.

Oh. I saw the option on the list, but I don't like PvP so I didn't try it. I have no desire to battle other players. Can we just visit other castles without fighting them?

Xenoflare

Oh. I saw the option on the list, but I don't like PvP so I didn't try it. I have no desire to battle other players. Can we just visit other castles without fighting them?

Yes and it's not actually PVP anyways. When you battle when visit other people's castle their units are AI controlled.

You only PvP when you choose "Wireless" in the orb menu

Been grinding Museum melee nonstop on my revelation master save.

Now everyone who can use one is outfitted with a brave.

Ignatius in particular appreciates his brave lance a lot as his wary fighter prevents him from doubling otherwise.

EDarkness

Yes and it's not actually PVP anyways. When you battle when visit other people's castle their units are AI controlled.

You only PvP when you choose "Wireless" in the orb menu

Thanks for the information. I was able to visit someone's castle and get a couple of Eternal Seals! Looks like I'll be able to get Corrin and Xander a few more levels. Awesome!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Had a good go at 21 where I wasn't getting screwed over by the RNG and beat it without too much trouble. That's a common theme in some of these "harder" chapters. Started off ugly with a lot of misses and struggling to kill enemies on turn 2, but it went pretty smooth after that.

Ran out of Dragon Veins I could reach around 2/3 of the way up and made a successful defensive stand on the right side of the map. After that enemy phase I was able to wipe out nearly all the remaining experience yielding enemies + reinforcements, then on the next turn I was able to take out the boss and start escaping. Left 3 exp yielding enemies, probably could have beaten them without too much trouble, but with the map basically done I wasn't going to risk something stupid happening since one of them was a stoneborn.

Niles was a beast, being the only character that could 1TKO Faceless without a crit/skill activation. Made him invaluable near the end.

Getting to the point I really need to start thinking about reclassing, or I'll run out of levels to get skills.

Hey you can grind for gold and exp on Revelations right, without the DLC?

You can gain experience and gold in the challenges like in Birthright, yes. However, I feel like gold is a lot less plentiful in Revelation. It seemed like Conquest gave you some every mission.

In other news, getting an A+ Support between Ryoma and Xander is turning out to be the greatest thing ever. Xander gets Astra and Swordfaire now, and Ryoma deals stupid amounts of damage as a Paladin.

Squire

Banned
Is Nohrian Trust a good skill? I changed Corrin to Great Lord once I got Draconic Hex. Kinda seems like I may as well stay the course....

Also, who is a good candidate for Lodestar?

Brakke

Banned
Here's another thing that's totally shit about the Birthright story: the fact that Corrin can transform into a fucking dragon is a plot point for exactly one mission and then never mentioned ever again.

NeonZ

Is Nohrian Trust a good skill? I changed Corrin to Great Lord once I got Draconic Hex. Kinda seems like I may as well stay the course....

Also, who is a good candidate for Lodestar?

Nohrian Trust is useful if your Corrin has high skill for activation rates and a support partner with an useful set up of offensive skills,which wouldn't take slots from Corin due to his Nohrian Trust skill.

Dimmle

Here's another thing that's totally shit about the Birthright story: the fact that Corrin can transform into a fucking dragon is a plot point for exactly one mission and then never mentioned ever again.
oh my god, I didn't even think about this

Yep. Experience can be grinded like Birthright. Gold is a little harder, but all you need is someone with Profiteer, and you can grind infinitely.

Do you mean through Challenges, or are there Scout missions in Revelations?

I've purposefully avoided all Scout missions because I don't want to be in the habit of using them and then be too bad at the game for Conquest and Revelations. Partly because I thought you couldn't scout in these two plots.

NeonZ

Oddly, that never really comes up again in any route, not even Revelation. The actual reason for that is only described in those encrypted texts from the hall and it's mentioned in a certainly DLC map, but Corrin himself isn't involved there, so it's just exposition.

Tingle

I've purposefully avoided all Scout missions because I don't want to be in the habit of using them and then be too bad at the game for Conquest and Revelations. Partly because I thought you couldn't scout in these two plots.

Both challenges and scout missions are in Revelations. Also, you can grind My Castle battles for experience like in Birthright. Conquest is on its own with all of the anti-grinding mechanisms.

GamerSoul

Haha yea. They dropped the ball on that one. It doesn't help it's one ugly Dragon too.

Dimmle

Haha yea. They dropped the ball on that one. It doesn't help it's one ugly Dragon too.

250px-483Dialga.png

(I don't understand this dragon archetype, why are horse dragons a thing?)

GamerSoul

250px-483Dialga.png

(I don't understand this dragon archetype, why are horse dragons a thing?)

Lol. Dialga must be a close relative or something. It's the strangest looking thing. I can't believe I didn't realize earlier that whole Dragon arc was ignored for the most part.

You can grind through both. Challenges appear after every chapter. The only version Scout doesn't appear in is Conquest. Eventually, you'll have to use the scouts to get higher level enemies.

Just finished Revelation.

My impressions of the last battle:
THAT WAS THE GREATEST FIRE EMBLEM FINAL BATTLE I HAVE EVER PLAYED. I BASICALLY HAD XANDER, RYOMA, AND MY UNIT SPRINTING ACROSS THE BATTLEFIELD, CLEARING THE AREA OF ENEMIES SO I COULD FOCUS ON ATTACKING THE BOSS. THE LAST STAGE SURPRISED ME AND I REALLY THOUGHT HE WAS GOING TO KILL AZURA BECAUSE SHE WAS IN HIS RANGE

I really enjoyed Revelation, other than the part where I ended up only using the Royal units. And I only did Caeldori's Paralogue (because I paired My Unit up with her). Now to go through and grind the other characters ans some supports and actually play all of the Paralogues, since I had skipped 3 or 4 through Birthright and Conquest.

And then to play Lunatic Birthright and see how far I get playing through all 3 paths again on the harder difficulty.

Squire

Banned
Nohrian Trust is useful if your Corrin has high skill for activation rates and a support partner with an useful set up of offensive skills,which wouldn't take slots from Corin due to his Nohrian Trust skill.

Cool. I think I'll stay as GL until Lv. 34, then reclass just in time to get Nohrian Trust.

Cool. I think I'll stay as GL until Lv. 34, then reclass just in time to get Nohrian Trust.

The level 35 Great Lord skill is phenomenal, one of the best skills in the game really, so I recommend getting that and then going back for Nohrian Trust.

The skill in question is called Awakening, and it ups your Crit Rate, Crit Evade, Avoid and Hit by 30 when at half HP or below, which is just insanity.

Brakke

Banned

Yeah it's so crazy! There's like three cutscene fights where Corrin is getting worked. And I keep thinking "oh shit that dude doesn't know Corrin is a dragon, Corrin is going to transform and ruin him!" ... but then like Yato transforms or Corrin decides to believe in himself or whatever. Dude! You have a trump card! Don't let yourself get worked like that...

Frimaire

Hey, does anyone know if Dread fighter or Dark Falcon classes break the game?
I've just got them sitting in my castle, but I don't want to use them to reclass any units if it's gonna make the game a cakewalk.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Who else is so lame they actually make spreadsheets to play games. Got my reclassing plan for the rest of the game out of the way, provided it gives me enough money to work it out. Seems likely I'll get 20k more by the end of the end of the game, hopefully more otherwise I have to choose between weapons and heart seals.

Hey, does anyone know if Dread fighter or Dark Falcon classes break the game?
I've just got them sitting in my castle, but I don't want to use them to reclass any units if it's gonna make the game a cakewalk.

My Mozu is beastly as a Dread Fighter, but I think a lot of that falls on aptitude improving her growths more than the class itself. And even then she isn't leagues beyond other characters like my Niles or Effie.

Since knives/shurikens are so good you will probably be using those most of the time, making it kind of like a Master Ninja with more balanced growths (less spd, skl, more HP, str) and added axes. The skills aren't amazing either, first three are decent but the last one is pretty nice.

TWILT

Banned
Finished Revelation. Overall, I loved it and it's probably my favorite path mainly because I have access to so many characters/pairings. The maps overall weren't as strong as Conquest's, but I still really enjoyed them overall (even if a few at the beginning were kinda tedious).

The story was alright, but I felt like it relied too much on plot conveniences at times. Corrin wasn't as much as a dumbass as he was in Conquest at least. I'm still kinda surprised the story was so mediocre/bad though. Didn't they get a new writer because Awakening's story wasn't received that well? It's kinda weird the story is just as if not even worse than it.
I'm not bothered too much by this because at least I really really like the characters (which ARE a step up from Awakening's, where I felt some were too one note at times) and their supports, but ehhhhh.

Fates as an overall package was fantastic though. At this point it's probably my favorite Fire Emblem game with the great gameplay changes, fun/challenging maps, amazing music, great characters, great art, etc. If the game had a better story, it'd be near perfect in my eyes, but oh well...Still a really strong contender for my GOTY.

Frimaire

My Mozu is beastly as a Dread Fighter, but I think a lot of that falls on aptitude improving her growths more than the class itself. And even then she isn't leagues beyond other characters like my Niles or Effie.

Since knives/shurikens are so good you will probably be using those most of the time, making it kind of like a Master Ninja with more balanced growths (less spd, skl, more HP, str) and added axes. The skills aren't amazing either, first three are decent but the last one is pretty nice.
Thanks, Know anything about Dark Falcon?

I made a spreadsheet to keep track of all my pairings :x

https://inheritance-planner.herokuapp.com/

I used this app.

Some of my pairings were pretty shit but I'm satisfied with most of them.

Except for Caleodori, Hisameh, and Shitgure. Those 3 just ended up sucking in comparison to everyone else and no amount of babying I gave them made them anywhere near as good as 9 mov nina, Ultimate Wereworlf Velouria, or 100% crit percy, Those were just some standouts from my museum melee grindfest. Every other child unit pulls a ton of weight too.

Top Bottom