• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks, Know anything about Dark Falcon?

Probably better all-around, frailness aside. Haven't used one, but growths and bases make it sort of like a reverse Dark Knight. More mag/spd, less HP/str/def. Skills are pretty decent and it can fly.

Guess it depends on the game though. Dark Falcon's might suck in Conquest where you need units with some durability, and Dark Falcon lacks a lot in that regard (until you get Galeforce, which would allow for hit-and-runs). Dread Fighter isn't the best in that regard, but it holds its own when it needs to.

Squire

Banned
The level 35 Great Lord skill is phenomenal, one of the best skills in the game really, so I recommend getting that and then going back for Nohrian Trust.

The skill in question is called Awakening, and it ups your Crit Rate, Crit Evade, Avoid and Hit by 30 when at half HP or below, which is just insanity.

Oh, I forgot about Awakening! Awesome. I'll definitely go with this.

https://inheritance-planner.herokuapp.com/

I used this app.

Some of my pairings were pretty shit but I'm satisfied with most of them.

Except for Caleodori, Hisameh, and Shitgure. Those 3 just ended up sucking in comparison to everyone else and no amount of babying I gave them made them anywhere near as good as 9 mov nina, Ultimate Wereworlf Velouria, or 100% crit percy, Those were just some standouts from my museum melee grindfest. Every other child unit pulls a ton of weight too.

Dude this is sweet. Thanks for the link!

Frimaire

Probably better all-around, frailness aside. Haven't used one, but growths and bases make it sort of like a reverse Dark Knight. More mag/spd, less HP/str/def. Skills are pretty decent and it can fly.

Guess it depends on the game though. Dark Falcon's might suck in Conquest where you need units with some durability, and Dark Falcon lacks a lot in that regard (until you get Galeforce, which would allow for hit-and-runs). Dread Fighter isn't the best in that regard, but it holds its own when it needs to.

Got it, Thanks.
Sounds like it probably wouldn't be a great idea, considering I'm going through conquest right now...

NeonZ

I've bought every possible building and upgrade so far and no prison at chapter 14. I missing something?

Hm... Are Orochi or Niles in your party? If you lost the capture focused character, maybe the building doesn't appear since they're the only ones that can use the capture command in the first place.

kewlmyc

Doesn't Savage Blow on work in a 2 square radius around the user? That would make it ineffective on bow users since they want to stay far away.

Yeah, but your attack radius is only 2 squares anyway, and I have Kiragi go in, kill or nearly kill an enemy/boss, then have his partner finish them off since the enemy will die in one hit due to Savage Blow having taken affect.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It I reclass Corrin, will he wear shoes? Can someone buy this kid a pair of shoes?

I still don't get the lack of shoes. The reasoning behind it that I saw was something about allowing use of dragon's veins. But the royals manage just fine with shoes (and mounts, for that matter).

Did they really just want to emphasize that THIS GAME HAS FEET!

My Special Edition arrived like 3 weeks late. I decided to go ahead and buy Birthright digitally and I just completed it. Now if I want to ply Conquest and Revelations from my Special Edition cart there is no way for the cart to recognize my Save data, right?

Draxal

I still don't get the lack of shoes. The reasoning behind it that I saw was something about allowing use of dragon's veins. But the royals manage just fine with shoes (and mounts, for that matter).

Did they really just want to emphasize that THIS GAME HAS FEET!

Pretty much Kozaki said he did the feet like that to catch attention, it was in the revelation video that Nintendo posted on YouTube recently.

CazTGG

Haha yea. They dropped the ball on that one. It doesn't help it's one ugly Dragon too.

You shut your mouth, Corrin is a beautiful dragon.

Seriously, I think this might be my favorite of all the manakete/dragon/humans who can change into other form designs. There's something about it that's alien and otherworldly yet familiar at the same time. Then again, i'm the kind of person who hates the presence of boob armor and jiggle physics in this game so it could just be me.

Finished Revelation. Overall, I loved it and it's probably my favorite path mainly because I have access to so many characters/pairings. The maps overall weren't as strong as Conquest's, but I still really enjoyed them overall (even if a few at the beginning were kinda tedious).

The story was alright, but I felt like it relied too much on plot conveniences at times. Corrin wasn't as much as a dumbass as he was in Conquest at least. I'm still kinda surprised the story was so mediocre/bad though. Didn't they get a new writer because Awakening's story wasn't received that well? It's kinda weird the story is just as if not even worse than it.
I'm not bothered too much by this because at least I really really like the characters (which ARE a step up from Awakening's, where I felt some were too one note at times) and their supports, but ehhhhh.

Yes and no. They noted the criticism that Awakening's plot received from fans and critics with the intent of making a better story this time around, which eventually lead to them making three games (originally based on an idea surrounding two villages from the original Famicom debut and its 2009 remake), the task of which made it near impossible for them to make said games while writing the story. Thus they began looking for someone to write it outside of the office. To quote Masahiro Higuchi: "We looked in the game industry, but we couldn't find someone we wanted. So we started to wonder if we could find someone outside of the game industry, who had done good work writing storylines in other industries, like publishing or movies."

I call foul on not finding anyone in the games industry when Yasumi Matsuno is still around but whatever.

To make a long story short, they eventually got legendary manga/screenwriter Shin Kibayashi to write a 500 page draft, of which the contents are difficult to determine how much made it into the game. Kibayahsi says it went through several staff members at Intelligent Systems before the one that made its way into the final game, "The Making of Fire Emblem" says they stayed pretty close to his original draft and there's also a writer for the third path, Yukinori Kitajima, whose company, Synthese, was involved with writing the supports for the Conquest and Birthright paths, as well as Nami Komuro being credited for working on the main scenario.

To make it even shorter, it was likely a mess behind the scenes who messiness made it into the game, hence the myriad of unanswered questions and dropped plot points in the three paths.

I really dislike the chapter ordering and the character growth in Conquest.

The MC doesn't like war boo hoo not worthy of the Yato but suddenly I am.

Was expecting a lot more trickery. Why didn't he just kill Zola and keep quiet about the captive royals to Garon and say that he killed them only to go surprise at the endgame.

Why is only the last 5 chapters actually meaningful when it comes to defeating Hoshido?

So many wasted chapters and unexplained bull. PoR still did the whole growth thing and the harshness of war much better than this did.

Anustart

Hm... Are Orochi or Niles in your party? If you lost the capture focused character, maybe the building doesn't appear since they're the only ones that can use the capture command in the first place.

Haven't lost anyone! Restarted a million times so far. Do have Orochi.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I just realized for a lot of skills it's cheaper to just buy them using My Castle than it is to use a Heart Seal. AND you don't have to spend time struggling with a character in a class they are no good in (poor stats/growths, bad weapon proficiency) for multiple levels. I'm dreading sending Effie through 4 levels of Maid for Tomebreaker, for example.

But I'm not sure I want to do that since it feels like cheating.

rhandino

Banned
Birthright - Chapter 26

ZOQ6SoR.gif

I do loved that finally Hinata was put to good use since I gave him a Hammer and somehow managed to beat the map in 1 run without casualties.

Also, is it just me or Subaki just DONT work as a Kinshi Knight? He alwasy seem so lacking comlared to Hinoka as a Falcon Knight and even Reina =/ ki d of tempted to reclass him.

Xenoflare

Birthright - Chapter 26

ZOQ6SoR.gif

I do loved that finally Hinata was put to good use since I gave him a Hammer and somehow managed to beat the map in 1 run without casualties.

Also, is it just me or Subaki just DONT work as a Kinshi Knight? He alwasy seem so lacking comlared to Hinoka as a Falcon Knight and even Reina =/ ki d of tempted to reclass him.

Kinshi Knight as a class in terms of stats is inferior to Falcon Knight by a long shot with the sole exception of Skill, and their gimmick their access to bows so if you are only using Naginatas you might not like what you see. Subaki's stats are kinda questionable to a Peg knight to begin with.

Oh and during the class roster Songstress and Villager shows up in the group with enemy exclusive units with menacing music. Is this a bug or intended because it's unintentionally hilarious seeing Azura and Mozu being in the same group with Faceless and Stoneborns

Astral Dog

Here's another thing that's totally shit about the Birthright story: the fact that Corrin can transform into a fucking dragon is a plot point for exactly one mission and then never mentioned ever again.

i think that true for the other routes too.
(And the plot point comes back in certain paralogues i suppose)

Only to point out that this person and also their progeny can still turn into dragons.

They don't even treat the dragon thing like a strength or a power. They treat it like a liability that Corrin needs to keep under control. Like, you're afflicted by this condition. Use these stones to stay in control of this condition. The less you use it, the better.

I don't even use the Dragonstones. There have been zero situations where it did more damage than the yato. You get a big defense boost, but damage suffers too much to bother using.

Dimmle

The Dragonstone is useful for tanking hits in the early game. Maybe Dragonstone+ is super good but I've never used Dragonstone enough to be able to utilize it.

As an aside, is anyone else irritated with how the Fire Emblem Wikia site dominates searches for Fire Emblem? That site is a cluttered trash fire. The Fire Emblem wiki that usually crops up 4-5 listings below Wikia is leagues better.

Lunar15

Yeah, I did the Kanna paralogue yesterday and when they brought up the dragon stuff, I realized that I completely forgot about the fact that Corrin could turn into a dragon. It seems like such an important plot point early on and then they never mention it again.

Insolitus

Banned
Yeah, I did the Kanna paralogue yesterday and when they brought up the dragon stuff, I realized that I completely forgot about the fact that Corrin could turn into a dragon. It seems like such an important plot point early on and then they never mention it again.

I doubt they forgot, they probably figured characters being dragons was such a common element at this point that it didn't need explaining. But not doing so feels weird since Corrin is supposed to be the main character.

Lunar15

I doubt they forgot, they probably figured characters being dragons was such a common element at this point that it didn't need explaining. But not doing so feels weird since Corrin is supposed to be the main character.

Perhaps they talk about it more in Revelation, but for now it just seems like the team said, "what if the main character was also a dragon because that would look cool".

Dimmle

Nothing-- nothing-- feels worse than spending an hour on a map and throwing it away when you stop paying attention to match-up details and send a low HP, low speed unit to its death. So far, Revelations seems to be a collection of interesting-looking maps that nevertheless play out slowly and trivially. I'm playing most of these on autopilot.

Moonlight

Banned
Just an awful run of bad luck this run. Constant misses, coin flip percentages that rarely went my way, and an embarrassing amount of bad level ups. Ophelia gained a single point in strength and I just sent that attempt into the dumpster fire where it belonged.

Lunar15

I love how most of the story on the Nohr side is basically:

Azura: Oh, I never told you this but....

Corrin: That's some very important information I could have used earlier. Also, can you elaborate a little bit?

Azura: No, sorry, I can't elaborate until a few chapters later when I decide to dump exposition again.

Corrin: Why can't you just tell me now?

Azura: Because then there'd be no plot.

Lunar15

This was very much unintended but Azura just provokes this 'wow you're a terrible person' sentiment from me.

She's so distant from everyone to the point that she's uninteresting, yet she also knows a vast amount of knowledge about what's going on and doesn't share it. She's supposed to be mysterious and tragic but it really comes off as selfish and aloof.

She doesn't seem connected to anyone else at all, even in support conversations.

Insolitus

Banned
This was very much unintended but Azura just provokes this 'wow you're a terrible person' sentiment from me.

The simple fact that she deliberately doesn't tell you that both countries are at war for reasons only she knows until you decide to not join either one makes me kind of hate her guts.
I mean yeah she would die if she openly said the real reason but she still could have dropped a hint at any point.

Top Bottom