• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Reset

With by the end of the game, you mean a couple of chapters, during which you already have leveled all your characters.

Roy is shit-tier for the biggest part of the game.

Hey man at least he has time to shine in the last two chapters. Yeah he sucks until the end game, but once he gets his weapon he's on the same level as Ike,Hector,Sigurd,etc. If we're talking about shitty lords then that goes to Eliwood, Micaiah, or Erika who never get a chance to shine at all.

Hey man at least he has time to shine in the last two chapters. Yeah he sucks until the end game, but once he gets his weapon he's on the same level as Ike,Hector,Sigurd,etc. If we're talking about shitty lords then that goes to Eliwood, Micaiah, or Erika who never get a chance to shine at all.

nah, Roy's the worst lord, even with the Sword of Seals it still only has 20 uses

Balphon

Chapter 23 seems relatively easy, unless it's going to pull something some ways in. Surely it will, I doubt a few ballistas are the entire "gimmick" for the map.

The enemies at the gate are a pain, you have to rush them and they like to throw out crits. Three times now I've lost because one of those enemies got a timely 3-4% critical that seems impossible to account if you actually want to progress through the chapter.

I cleared out the bottom part and then flew everyone over the gap on the far right side after baiting the enemies there. Then I just stormed the wall and killed Takumi before dealing with Hinata last for the exp.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I cleared out the bottom part and then flew everyone over the gap on the far right side after baiting the enemies there. Then I just stormed the wall and killed Takumi before dealing with Hinata last for the exp.

I thought about that. But I actually don't have ANY fliers right now due to reclassing for skills, lol.

demidar

Finally finished Conquest hard. The final boss is brutal, and I lost about 3 people to it. Plus another 2 because I didn't zoom the map out far enough and saw some fliers with tomes but oh well.

PK Gaming

Eliwood is pretty damn mediocre, but he's mediocre throughout all of FE7, and while Micaiah is generally sucky, she can at least Thani bomb armors and is good at dealing chip damage (and if you REALLY like her you can BEXP abuse for good Speed)

Eirika isn't even that bad. Top tier availability (duh), rapiers are amazing in FE8, she's always doubling, fast + great support with Seth (aka God), and her amazing promotion make her a solid offensive unit. Definitely flawed since she's super frail, but she's generally good throughout all of FE8 whereas Roy is passable initially, but completely useless once you reach the midgame, and continues to suck until he gets the Sword of the Seals. And even then he still sucks against most enemies since he can't double them.

He is by far and way the worst Lord in the franchise.

Eliwood is pretty damn mediocre, but he's mediocre throughout all of FE7, and while Micaiah is generally sucky, she can at least Thani bomb armors and is good at dealing chip damage (and if you REALLY like her you can BEXP abuse for good Speed)

Eirika isn't even that bad. Top tier availability (duh), rapiers are amazing in FE8, she's always doubling, fast + great support with Seth (aka God), and her amazing promotion make her a solid offensive unit. Definitely flawed since she's super frail, but she's generally good throughout all of FE8 whereas Roy is passable initially, but completely useless once you reach the midgame, and continues to suck until he gets the Sword of the Seals. And even then he still sucks against most enemies since he can't double them.

I wouldn't say WORST Lord in the franchise. Because he gets the Sword of Seals, he's passably useful, but Leif in FE5 is pretty bad. Not awful in FE4. His light brand is okay, except terrible growths render him close to worthless by mid game, especially when surrounded by characters who aren't worthless, with good bases and good growths.In my experience, even Lara surpasses him. Where Roy makes a good little vanguard unit with SoS, Leif is just plain unusable.

I wouldn't say WORST Lord in the franchise. Because he gets the Sword of Seals, he's passably useful, but Leif in FE5 is pretty bad. Not awful in FE4. His light brand is okay, except terrible growths render him close to worthless by mid game, especially when surrounded by characters who aren't worthless, with good bases and good growths.In my experience, even Lara surpasses him. Where Roy makes a good little vanguard unit with SoS, Leif is just plain unusable.

No Leif is pretty great, in fact he's one of the better lords in the series.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Took a bit of a break to replay VLR and now I'm back to finish grindless Lunatic Birthright.

Just finished ch23, wow that was not easy. It was open-ended enough that I always felt like I mispositioned. I never just replayed the same strat until I had better rng. Great map.

Ch24 looks to be possibly harder? I haven't started it, but the dragon veins are hinting at something sinister.

No Leif is pretty great, in fact he's one of the better lords in the series.

In FE4's second part, absolutely. VERY good growths, decent bases, holy blood and the means to use it.

But in FE5, you have better characters with the same leadership stars, you have better characters with better bases and growths. His relative squishiness after mid game relegates him to holding up the rear, because he can't survive at the front, where his leadership bonus would be most useful. If it weren't for his Light brand, he wouldn't be very good at the beginning of the game, either.

Moonlight

Banned
Just finished Conquest Hard/Classic. Didn't buy skills or use any of the DLC, as if the distinction really matters. But if I ever said anything bad about the last stretch of missions, the game really shut me down. One of the most memorable collection of final missions in the series for a while. I wish I could say the same for the plot connecting all of it, but at least the story doesn't ever dip as low as chapter 15 again.

Endgame being segmented into two parts isn't too bad, either. You can rush the boss in not that much time. I really fucked up by not realizing that tonics wouldn't carry over for the two battles though, lol.

I guess maybe even limiting myself to just three kids kinda messed up some of the intended difficulty, though. I think I was a bit overleveled by the time I hit 25. Xander and Effie were pretty much impossible to kill without special properties on weapons. I think maybe I'll have more to say when I'm not on my phone, but I'd very safely put Conquest into my top three FE games.

Tips for Conquest 22? I managed to make it all the way from 12 to 21 without a single reset, but I've played 22 for three or four hours and every fucking time, reinforcements manage to kill someone. I'm so sick of stupid goddamned surprise reinforcements.

LordJim

Tips for Conquest 22? I managed to make it all the way from 12 to 21 without a single reset, but I've played 22 for three or four hours and every fucking time, reinforcements manage to kill someone. I'm so sick of stupid goddamned surprise reinforcements.

The only real danger is the Pegasi reinforcements. Units in left side are easy to bait and avoid.
You can reinforce the right side by pairing up units in the Preparation screen , so you have more units there. Xander can handle everything that is not the Falconnight with the magic Naginata.
Also, do not be hasty and lower all the walls, they can slow down reinforcements and help you make a better formation.

Evo X

I'm on my first play through of Birthright on Hard/Casual. On chapter 10 currently and haven't had any deaths yet, but I'm short on time as I've gotten older so I appreciate the option. Been hearing Conquest is crazy difficult. Should I drop down to Normal for it or is Hard/Casual going to be fine? Been playing FE games for 13 years now.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I'm on my first play through of Birthright on Hard/Casual. On chapter 10 currently and haven't had any deaths yet, but I'm short on time as I've gotten older so I appreciate the option. Been hearing Conquest is crazy difficult. Should I drop down to Normal for it or is Hard/Casual going to be fine? Been playing FE games for 13 years now.
You'll be very comfortable on hard. Enjoy!

The only real danger is the Pegasi reinforcements. Units in left side are easy to bait and avoid.
You can reinforce the right side by pairing up units in the Preparation screen , so you have more units there. Xander can handle everything that is not the Falconnight with the magic Naginata.
Also, do not be hasty and lower all the walls, they can slow down reinforcements and help you make a better formation.

YOU CAN PAIR UNITS IN THE PREPARATION SCREEN?

Holy crap, I just looked. Somehow, this whole time, I managed to miss that the second menu item said "Pair Up." I feel like a dunce.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Eliwood is the most underrated lord. I love Eliwood. :/ Hector and Lyn always overshadow him.

FE6 is the game that could most benefit from a remake, because

A) Elibe has clout with westerners due to FE7
B) The west never got FE6, allowing it to be marketed as a sequel
C) Roy is a Smash icon at this point
D) Roy is, in fact, shit tier for a good 3/4ths of his game
E) FE6 is full of cheap same turn reinforcements and frustrating difficulty

FE4/5 would be preferable, as they are truly the most interesting and unique games in the series, but I seriously doubt it will ever happen.

Gestahl

In FE4's second part, absolutely. VERY good growths, decent bases, holy blood and the means to use it.

But in FE5, you have better characters with the same leadership stars, you have better characters with better bases and growths. His relative squishiness after mid game relegates him to holding up the rear, because he can't survive at the front, where his leadership bonus would be most useful. If it weren't for his Light brand, he wouldn't be very good at the beginning of the game, either.

You can just feed him the hp and def rings, have him look pretty while holding the charisma sword and tanking ballista shots (the AI fucking hates Leif), and he'll still be 100 times more useful than Roy ever is

Leaf is really good, feed him your rings before chapter 4 and he'll do a ton of work in all of the Manster Escape chapters. Light Sword is really good and he can do a ton of work on armors and he's decent and gives a ton of support bonuses to everyone even after you have better combat options.

Roy will get ORKO'd by almost any enemy after like the first third of the game if you don't feed him angelic robes (I'd given him like four by the end of my HM playthrough lol)

That said, I hope Roy would stay terrible in a theoretical FE6 remake, him being bad adds a lot to the game imo

Reset

Eliwood stays mediocre throughout the entire game, Micaiah was awful the last time I played, and Erika is just an Eliwood 2.0. None of these units ever become good, unlike Roy who becomes one of the best unit the game once he gets his weapon. Roy with his weapon is above the other three for me since he can take out bosses by himself easily.
Oh and Lyndis starts off great, but she ends up sucking mid to end game. She barely does any damage to any of the bosses and her final weapon does shit damage to the final boss unlike Eliwood's. The only thing she has going for her is that all the sword masters in that game sucked, and she was the best one out of the bunch.

Oh and if we're talking about remakes, I don't think the GBA games need it at all. The games look great(they look better than Fates/Awakening), and it's not like they're unplayable. It'd be nice if there was a speed up button, but the game isn't that slow. The NES/SNES games need a remake before the GBA games. Even PoR/RD should get a remake before the GBA games since they're almost unplayable now a days unless you're using an emulator. The battles take forever and they're on home consoles, that's like the worst possible combination.

Eliwood is the most underrated lord. I love Eliwood. :/ Hector and Lyn always overshadow him.

Hector was done dirty in FE6. They nerfed him to much. :[

Eliwood stays mediocre throughout the entire game, Micaiah was awful the last time I played, and Erika is just an Eliwood 2.0. None of these units ever become good, unlike Roy who becomes one of the best unit the game once he gets his weapon. Roy with his weapon is above the other three for me since he can take out bosses by himself easily.
Oh and Lyndis starts off great, but she ends up sucking mid to end game. She barely does any damage to any of the bosses and her final weapon does shit damage to the final boss unlike Eliwood's.

Oh and if we're talking about remakes, I don't the GBA games need it at all. The games look great(they look better than Fates/Awakening), and it's not like they're unplayable. It'd be nice if there was a speed up button, but the game isn't that slow. The NES/SNES games need a remake before the GBA games. Even PoR/RD should get a remake before the GBA games since they're almost unplayable now a days unless you're using an emulator. The battles take forever and they're on home consoles, that's like the worst possible combination.
Without being fed angelic robes constantly, Roy will get ORKO'd for most of the game by most enemies. His use is pretty much limited to rapier'ing cavaliers in chapter 4 and using the Sword of Seals on manaketes after he gets it. He will be useful for ~3 chapters at most and is a massive liability the rest of the time.

Eirika has two really strong prfs that let her OHKO a lot of enemies (and ORKO those that it can't OHKO), has perfect availability, an excellent promotion (that includes a horse, something Roy lacks) and isn't going to get ORKO'd by most generic enemies (and doesn't require resources to prevent this). Eirika's not great but she's maybe in the top half of lords.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I want to see the games that aren't in English remade. Hopefully they would fare better than New Mystery of the Emblem's English release... oh wait.

A lot more likely to happen than some VC localizations. But still unlikely due to the last remakes almost killing the series. One of these days I'll have to stop being lazy and ignorant and get import copies of 4/5/6, but ehhhh.

LordJim

Eirika's not great but she's maybe in the top half of lords.

Even in her own route, I would not put her in the top half.
A quick list I made a couple days ago

mD1xHy2h.jpg

The remakes weren't so much the series' near killers as they were a hard backpedal to try and do the safest thing after the hard bomb of 9/10. They both sold okay (~250k each in Japan, which was Awakening's supposed target sales) and were probably much cheaper than FE9/10.

That said, I really don't want any remakes. The old games hold up really well and there's no guarantee that it would really look better visually, not to mention I don't want Cliff the Master Knight.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe I just had bad luck in both my Awakening playthroughs but Chrom was never not shit. Worst lord in any of the FE games I've played.

Corrin was shit until chapter 15 but that triggered something and now she is one of my better characters. Consistently amazing levels since then, like 5+ stats up every time.

LordJim

Maybe I just had bad luck in both my Awakening playthroughs but Chrom was never not shit. Worst lord in any of the FE games I've played.

Corrin was shit until chapter 15 but that triggered something and now she is one of my better characters. Consistently amazing levels since then, like 5+ stats up every time.

Even without counting unlimited grinding and reclassing, Chrom has amazing growths for anything that is not magic/res, constant access to great Prof weapons and an early Aether.
It's hard to imagine him being useless

Gestahl

Even without counting unlimited grinding and reclassing, Chrom has amazing growths for anything that is not magic/res, constant access to great Prof weapons and an early Aether.
It's hard to imagine him being useless

Awakening's higher difficulties being ass obfuscates his general usefulness. His pair-up support is what lets Fem Robin Nosferatu her way through Lunatic so I guess he's pretty high tier regardless of his stats though

PK Gaming

mD1xHy2h.jpg

This is a pretty good list. I don't agree with a few of these (both variants of Eliwood are too high, Lyn should at least be in good tier, and Eirika route Eirika (lol) is pretty good imo)

Everything else is more or less spot on (though I haven't played a few of those FE titles)

The important thing is that Roy is in his own tier of crappiness.

I think the biggest issue is that FE9 Ike is too high, one of the most overrated characters in the series. Otherwise that list is pretty good.

I guess when I said Eirika was in the top half of lords I wasn't including FE1-3 and 12 because I've never actually played them.

mD1xHy2h.jpg

Pretty good list. I'd make a couple of changes.

Lyn should be at pretty good tier.
Michiah should be near the bottom.
Hector! Eliwood should be a bit lower.
Shadow Dragon and New Mystery Marth should trade places.

Other than that, It's pretty good overall.

Rutger

Banned

FE6 is the game that could most benefit from a remake, because

A) Elibe has clout with westerners due to FE7
B) The west never got FE6, allowing it to be marketed as a sequel
C) Roy is a Smash icon at this point
D) Roy is, in fact, shit tier for a good 3/4ths of his game
E) FE6 is full of cheap same turn reinforcements and frustrating difficulty

FE4/5 would be preferable, as they are truly the most interesting and unique games in the series, but I seriously doubt it will ever happen.
Those reinforcements really are not a big deal and the difficulty is one of the best parts about FE6, but yeah, if IS was going to remake any games, the Elibe games would be their best bet thanks to FE7 and Roy in Smash.
That said, I hope Roy would stay terrible in a theoretical FE6 remake, him being bad adds a lot to the game imo

I agree. Part of why I like Roy as a lord is because he can't become a one man army, he can't even a decent backup unit, he's just a tactician fighting through one of the most uphill battles in the series. Add that with the difficulty of the game and it keeps things interesting imo, it would be unfortunate to lose that.

Have you tried using this guide?

Something to keep in mind, even if you aren't going super optimal.

Out of curiosity, I went through some of those. Interesting write up, and all of the rankings make sense. All of the child stuff kind of burns me out sadly. Of all the children paralogues I've done, Ophelia's seems to be the one most worth doing on Conquest for the extra tomes, plus she is a pretty good unit. Beyond her, I think I'll just go childless after I do my Revelations run (need to marry Mitama/unlock all children so I can at least grind out all supports at some point).

Busaiku

Have you tried using this guide?

Something to keep in mind, even if you aren't going super optimal.
Yeah, I'm using it as a crutch, but I'm trying to decide who to go with based on supports, or children (Subaki cannot canonically be with anyone besides Selena).
It's just hard to decide and so time consuming.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Huh? Forrest identifies as a male; he's not a transsexual.
Moreover, he's also straight. He has S rank supports with females from his generation.

IceIpor

I give up on Invasion 3 on Birthright. How the heck do you beat that? Jeez
1. Set up your castle correctly.
2. Create choke points with indestructible buildings.
3. Put the 3 automations on one side to kill the enemies with a small token force while the rest are split between defending middle and the other side.
4. Use ballistas at your choke point.
5. Pray to the RNG gods that you don't miss.

Here's an example of what I used:
TjnIDzJ.jpg

Conquest 16

At least the fact that Shura helped kidnap Azura is acknowledged here as opposed to just being a "Oh BTW" moment. Still doesn't excuse him having only Corrine as a support.

Also what am I suppose to do for Nina's paralogue? Is it okay to defeat her? Do I have to rush through? Do I have to block her escape? I don't know what to do?

Top Bottom