• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

NeonZ

I think you misunderstood me.

Ike's saga in Tellius is also considered the ancient past in Awakening as they definitely know of the Radiant Hero, but Ike's saga definitely doesn't take place in the same world as Awakening. I think they purposely left it ambiguous in that it definitely takes in the past, but of what world it takes place isn't really confirmed, (but personally I don't think it takes place in the same world because of the usage of SPACE in hidden history).

The whole multiverse thing with the traveling though different universes at different time periods is easily my least favorite concept introduced by Awakening.

I think you're just overcomplicating the explanation there.Ike's saga is considered the past because it happened before he went to the Awakening world, but when they reference his origins, they say that he came from a different world.

Saying that the Exalt is
from "the distant future", even though to Owain he'd be actually a distant historical figure doesn't make any sense if they aren't in the same world. What would even be the point of reference in that case (how would Owain know that they are in the past of a world completely unrelated to his own, rather than in its current timeline or the future?).

The space reference can easily just be regarding how he'd be sending them to Valla first, in order to be able to talk to them. There's also their need of hiding their names and appearance - which makes much more sense if it's the past, rather than an unrelated realm, where their original identities wouldn't matter.

This confusion isn't helped though by Japan's usage of "sekai" being often more generic than the Western usage of "world" - a different time period is called a different "sekai/world" much more often than what you'd see in Western writing.

ChrisD

Children are fine.

Dumb reasoning and justification of them existing and growing up is bullshit.

Yup. I really like the characters, I like the Support Conversations, and I like the gameplay addition with all the choice you have in making them their own Unit. But the reasoning is nonsensical in both Awakening and Fates. Time travel was lol, but at least it had some story significance. Deeprealms is... I don't know what Deeprealms is. It's plain dumb.

On another note, I love Niles so much. I like the Conquest cast much more than Birthright's as a whole.

Moonlight

Banned
Man, y'all can talk shit about the hyperbolic baby chamber all you want; your kids coming from the dark future to save the past in Awakening was an amazing concept. That game's crime wasn't using time travel, it was that it wasn't using it enough.

Man, y'all can talk shit about the hyperbolic baby chamber all you want; your kids coming from the dark future to save the past in Awakening was an amazing concept. That game's crime wasn't using time travel, it was that it wasn't using it enough.

The only crime Awakening had in my eyes was that it didn't use Anna nearly enough.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Yeah, we really didn't see enough of the kids or their future. Hidden Truths 1 and 2 really brought some of the best three to the forefront, and even touched on their story from the last game and brought more resolution to it, so it's a real treat for fans of the second gen Awakening characters.

The way it was done in FE4 was also extremely well executed. Fates wanted to have its cake and eat it too, which is why it feels so forced. They couldn't reuse time travel, and didn't want to force you into using a new set of characters. They still have the best supports and designs in the game, but their justification is laughably bad.

PBalfredo

I liked Awakening's justification for the kids, since time travel was a crucial element to the game's story. And they explored it further in the Future Past DLC. So far in Fates nothing else in the main story is touching on alternate dimensions as a plot point, so the deeprealms seem very tacked on.

Word.

The little girl mothers in Fates are more on the disturbing side, because it's implied they get pregnant now, and not later.

This is why I have yet to pair up Mozu

Draxal

Yeah, we really didn't see enough of the kids or their future. Hidden Truths 1 and 2 really brought some of the best three to the forefront, and even touched on their story from the last game and brought more resolution to it, so it's a real treat for fans of the second gen Awakening characters.

The way it was done in FE4 was also extremely well executed. Fates wanted to have its cake and eat it too, which is why it feels so forced. They couldn't reuse time travel, and didn't want to force you into using a new set of characters. They still have the best supports and designs in the game, but their justification is laughably bad.

Awakening is pretty much FE4 in concept with the kids coming back in time to prevent midpoint of 4. It makes a lot of sense conceptually, but they screwed up the execution especially with the Valmese juncture.

Fates was like ... lol we're not even going to try with the kids at all, they're just fanservice for fanservice.

ChrisD

Okay I will give you that. An actual time travel story told well like Steins;Gate (errr, I'm no story connoisseur, but I thought it really good) can make time travel a really great plot point. But Awakening didn't go fully with it, resulting in all kids but Lucina feeling like a half-baked addition to the over-arching story.

But I definitely don't expect Fire Emblem to meet the story quality of a visual novel, and it's understandable why.

Edit: Man I'm just now being reminded that I never played Future Past in Awakening. I should replay that game after I beat Conquest instead of just going to Revelations, just so I can buy and play that DLC.

PBalfredo

I too still need to beat The Future Past. I just need to find a good breakdown on where and when the bullshit reinforcements arrive, since they move upon arrival and immediately start killing kids and I'm not leaving anyone behind! RESET!

Thinking more on Awakening's time travel set up, I liked thinking of all the odd quirks that the scenario made possible. Some where even acknowledged by the game, like with Cynthia's supports with her father where she states that she's willing to leave her family behind once the Cynthia of the current timeline is born, since that would be their "real" daughter and she doesn't want to overshadow that Cynthia. I found these consequences of time travel on family dynamics to be super interesting and I kinda wish they dived more into that.

Yup that was great. The Future Past DLC was awesome too.

Haha holy shit

Re: Conquest 25

If Corrin's Replicate clone engages Ryoma in a fight, he calls Corrin out for being a coward

To be fair, he can totally tell.
Replicas never say anything when they level up, so it's assumed they wouldn't blubber "oh big bro let's not kill each other because of my dumb secret plan to bring peace to the world that I totally can't tell yooooooooou," so of course Ryoma's like "who dis"

After lots of tears, I'm finally at the precipice: Conquest 27. Endgame's going to destroy me, isn't it.

Javier

Awakening is pretty much FE4 in concept with the kids coming back in time to prevent midpoint of 4. It makes a lot of sense conceptually, but they screwed up the execution especially with the Valmese juncture.

Fates was like ... lol we're not even going to try with the kids at all, they're just fanservice for fanservice.
All FE games with two gens are essentially DBZ.

FE4 is the entire Freeza saga, with Sigurd as Bardock and Seliph as Goku.

FE13 is the Android saga with the "Fixed" timeline and the "Bad Future" timeline.

FE14 is that set of episodes when everyone goes to train in the Time Chamber.

Draxal

All FE games with two gens are essentially DBZ.

FE4 is the entire Freeza saga, with Sigurd as Bardock and Seliph as Goku.

FE13 is the Android saga with the "Fixed" timeline and the "Bad Future" timeline.

FE14 is that set of episodes when everyone goes to train in the Time Chamber.

How about 6-7?

PK Gaming

man if you think what anna got in FEA was a crime what happening with fates is a god damn travesty

i'm STILL WAITING INTSYS

Aptitude isn't worth passing down, though!

It got nerfed pretty badly, but it's like... the prestige you know? It feels good looking at a child unit and get amazing level ups and go:

Mozu did that

"My mama did that"

Moonlight

Banned
It got nerfed pretty badly, but it's like... the prestige you know? It feels good looking at a child unit and get amazing level ups and go:

Mozu did that

"My mama did that"
Sure, but in the end I'd rather pass down something like Certain Blow since Aptitude doesn't really make a big difference by the time you hit 20/20.

Ugh, not enough waifus to get all the kids. What the fuck were they thinking.
Clearly, the game was designed with fem!Corrin in mind. :v

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Holy. Shit. This game.

I swear to god it feels fixed.

How is this even possible.

I have never gotten past the enemies at the gate in chapter 23. EVERY SINGLE TIME one of the archers gets a god damn <5% crit. Without fail. 6 times now. I wish I was recording this somehow, it's absolutely ridiculous.

Xenoflare

Holy. Shit. This game.

I swear to god it feels fixed.

How is this even possible.

I have never gotten past the enemies at the gate in chapter 23. EVERY SINGLE TIME one of the archers gets a god damn <5% crit. Without fail. 6 times now. I wish I was recording this somehow, it's absolutely ridiculous.

Were you using the battle saves, because if you are then the RNG will be set in stone.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Were you using the battle saves, because if you are then the RNG will be set in stone.

I don't think hard classic has those, if it does I've never used them.

Edit: Not sure why I typed hard.

Going to do nothing but luck pairs, other stats clearly don't matter here. Maybe I have some pairs that will get the crit rates to 0.

demidar

I have too in Birthright but mostly because I think most of the Hoshindo women are way cooler than most of their male counterparts

Yeah, in Birthright. Most of the men have classes that women also have (samurai, ninja, archer, shrine maiden/monk, sky knight, diviner), but there's a lot of women who are the only one's with their class (singer, spear fighter, Rinkah, villager, maid if you're male). The only classes that has only have men in it (so far for me) are Silas as cavalier and Kaden as a kitsune. So by adding variety to my forces, it would naturally tend to be women heavy.

Xenoflare

I don't think hard classic has those, if it does I've never used them.

Edit: Not sure why I typed hard.

Going to do nothing but luck pairs, other stats clearly don't matter here. Maybe I have some pairs that will get the crit rates to 0.

Use Izana's rally luck maybe? +8 to units within 2 space

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Use Izana's rally luck maybe? +8 to units within 2 space

I don't have Izana, but I had sufficient pairs and finally got by that damn group of enemies for the first time. There was one enemy that had a 1% crit which was a bigger "oh shit" moment than it should have been, but it didn't activate.

Now I'll probably run into whatever the real gimmick/trap is for the chapter and have to do it again anyway.

Balphon

I don't have Izana, but I had sufficient pairs and finally got by that damn group of enemies for the first time. There was one enemy that had a 1% crit which was a bigger "oh shit" moment than it should have been, but it didn't activate.

Now I'll probably run into whatever the real gimmick/trap is for the chapter and have to do it again anyway.

With your luck Takumi is going to kill someone with vengeance.

Moonlight

Banned

It's a pretty honest map. Just be aware Oboro has Counter which makes dealing with her very awkward. Take advantage of the fact that the enemies won't follow you down staircases.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Lunge is such a wonky skill. Stole my stairs and got swarmed. Assuming I don't have issues with the bullshit crits again, now that I know how those enemies move I can probably beat it nex-

With your luck Takumi is going to kill someone with vengeance.

55% activation rate? That is going to kill me so many times.

Shinypogs

I fucked up my leveling and now i have 3 nearly unkillable pairs with the dominant units guaranteed to hit the level cap for a second time before we reach the final chapters. I have two other average pairs and everyone else is varying degrees of useless or hyper situational.

I really hope the last couple chapters can continue to be swept by the xander/effie/keaton trio of wrecking face while niles and leo do more tactical picking off and chip damage. I just don't think i can get a full 7/8 pairs up and running in time.

~

With the end of my first run looming I'm plotting a second one. I want to use more of the kids next time. Who is decent and has interesting paralogues? I like the mechanics in shigures and ninas.

Conquest Endgame:

I... I'm ALIVE. EVERYONE IS STILL ALIVE. Holy crap.

Imagine my chagrin, then, when everyone's post-war bio turns out to be "they disappeared from history idk."

NeonZ

Conquest Endgame:

I... I'm ALIVE. EVERYONE IS STILL ALIVE. Holy crap.

Imagine my chagrin, then, when everyone's post-war bio turns out to be "they disappeared from history idk."

Odin, Selena and Laslow are just going back to their home. There's Azura... but there was someone else too, right? Maybe Kaze?

Busaiku

1st gen Females can't S-rank 2nd gen Males...
A male avatar marrying any of the non Avatar exclusive Female romance removes one Male parent from having their child.
Corrin married Jakob and Laslow married Azura, so now one of the first generation is by herself.
Probably would've left Mozu alone if I'd realized this, but now Hana will just have Sakura, I guess.

Who is decent and has interesting paralogues? I like the mechanics in shigures and ninas.

Velouria and Selkie are both good kids to use.

Corrin married Jakob and Laslow married Azura, so now one of the first generation is by herself.
Probably would've left Mozu alone if I'd realized this, but now Hana will just have Sakura, I guess.

If you went female avatar, one female unit isn't going to have a partner unless you married a corrinsexual or second gen unit. At least you didn't miss out on a kid.

Top Bottom