• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

She's become one of my favorite characters through her supports alone. And I actually really like her supports with male Corrin since that actually feels like a proper natural progression to a relationship as opposed to some of the others. It's either her or Mozu he'll end up shacking up with in Birthright - sorry whichever dude I end up liking the least *cough screw you Azama you jerk all your supports suck so far cough*

But Mitama is awesome. His Hana, Orochi, Effy and Felicia supports are actually good. I went Azama x Felicia personally, since Felicia seems to fix all of the jerks with her... wondrous dedication to work. Most of them aren't actually bad, but the few that are bad are really bad (Azama x Sakura anyone?). I will agree though that most of Azama's supports are focused on him being a jerk. A confident, realistic jerk, but still a jerk. Sadly, I can relate to his point of view a lot, so I find him an interesting character. His Hinoka and Rinkah supports paint a much clearer picture of the person he is.

champloo

Finally finished hard Conquest after clocking in 90+ hours. Lunatic Birthright here we go.

Overall I like the game a lot. I also managed to enjoy the miserable story, and the characters are all lovable.

Charlotte ended up being my top unit with 166 kills, followed by Effie and Corrin.
I have to say aside from being a great pair-up bot, Charlotte is also a very good unit. She just carried my team through late chapters being the core of my super offensive strategy.

With an S rank in axe, Charlotte can ORKO everyone by herself with good hit rate, my strategy basically becomes first put her on an optimal tile, then my other units enjoy an attack stance partner who can deal 20+ damage with 30% crit rate. I did go through the effort reclassing her to a Wyvern Lord to get some skills and better defense.

Odin is the best character though.

btw: after the credits the game made me choose 5 units. What does it do?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
TOO.... MUCH.... POWER!!!

MAG
SKIL
SPD +1
LUCK
DEF
RES
MOVE
CON

NeonZ

Odin is the best character though.

btw: after the credits the game made me choose 5 units. What does it do?

It adds them to the Einherjar list. You can hire them in another file (no supports though) or buy skills from them for the same character in another file.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Well fuck you too, Takumi. Dodge my 84 hit attack to survive then get a 50/50 rend heaven activation.

With my luck I don't know that I'm ever going to kill him.

Just for giggles I ended my turn and let his play out. Killed Corrin. All three attacks he was involved in (first attack from Corrin to weaken him, attack with Flora to kill that missed, and his attack on Corrin) had rend heaven activate. This guy.

champloo

Well fuck you too, Takumi. Dodge my 84 hit attack to survive then get a 50/50 rend heaven activation.

With my luck I don't know that I'm ever going to kill him.

You should plan your move assuming he is gonna activate Rend Heaven. Do you have an unit that can survive a round?

I remember dealing with him being frustrating because he dodged a few of my attacks, while threatening my weaker units with that ballista. Putting a Draconic Hex on him helped me a lot.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
You should plan your move assuming he is gonna activate Rend Heaven. Do you have an unit that can survive a round?

I remember dealing with him being frustrating because he dodged a few of my attacks, while threatening my weaker units with that ballista. Putting a Draconic Hex on him helped me a lot.

I did on the first attack, the only way he could have killed Corrin was to crit (which I assumed would happen). He hit and used Rend Heaven which left me with 2HP, but he was almost dead. Flora was the only one that could attack with a hitrate over 60, I figure what are the chances she misses with 84 AND he gets a rend/vengeance activation? Plus Vengeance or a crit would kill literally any character I had, so it was a big risk regardless.

My luck is bad enough I always assume a critical is going to activate. 2%? Might as well be 100 as far as I'm concerned. I've died to so many ridiculous series of misses, low percent hits, or criticals in Conquest. It's really ruining the experience for me.

I want to say I don't think anything will top the <5% criticals at the gate on six consecutive attempts at the map, but I said the same thing about Felicia missing twice in a row with a 97 hit rate. And that was certainly topped. A couple times.

champloo

I did on the first attack, the only way he could have killed Corrin was to crit (which I assumed would happen). He hit and used Rend Heaven which left me with 2HP, but he was almost dead. Flora was the only one that could attack with a hitrate over 60, I figure what are the chances she misses with 84 AND he gets a rend/vengeance activation? Plus Vengeance or a crit would kill literally any character I had, so it was a big risk regardless.

With your luck you know that was gonna happen :D Honestly I would have taken that risk as well.
I played a lot more defensively, basically by just placing Effie next to Takumi and do some damage on enemy phase. It felt good to have someone like swordmaster Odin who has a 100% hit rate to deal the final blow. Odin rules.

Man when does Mozu get good?she's almost at level 10 and still can't take a hit.

I haven't turned her into an archer. Her strength is the second highest in my team with 9 pt defense. (Hard mode) Her HP is low though.

For reference:

mU85ddH.jpg

demidar

I haven't turned her into an archer. Her strength is the second highest in my team with 9 pt defense. (Hard mode) Her HP is low though.

For reference:

I've changed Mozu into a Great Lord and equipped her with a Sunrise Katana. There have been times when she was attacked 6 times in a turn and killed them all through retaliation.

I've changed Mozu into a Great Lord and equipped her with a Sunrise Katana. There have been times when she was attacked 6 times in a turn and killed them all through retaliation.

Oh my... I don't know she will turn into a killing machine as I am still quite early into the game. Thanks for the info.

Dimmle

I've used Mozu as a Master of Arms, Sniper, and Great Lord and she's been invaluable in all three roles. She's truly ridiculous as a Sniper, though.

demidar

Oh my... I don't know she will turn into a killing machine as I am still quite early into the game. Thanks for the info.

Well, I'm playing Birthright. Those shenanigans probably won't work on Conquest, where units generally have more skills and better stats. Mozu is still quite fragile though, she usually needs to be paired up and backed up by a damage decrease aura for safety but otherwise she's a meat grinder.

Corrinsexual.

She's like Crimson, has a support with the avatar and possibly Kana if she's her mother. In fact, she appears in your avatar's support list even if you don't download her, which is annoying. You're technically only downloading the stage to get her. The character itself was always in the game's data.

She can only support Corrin.

Figures. I think it was the same way in Awakening too.

Just started Conquest tonight and right from the get go they make you out to be the biggest asshole for choosing Nohr.

Looking forward to the maps/classic FE flavour classes though.

I'm still playing this game like crazy. I'm replaying Conquest on Lunatic, and I've made it to Chapter 20. I never thought I would even try this and make it this far. I am playing this without DLC, but I am fully utilizing the Castle.

I also downloaded Revelation a few days ago, but I only played up to Chapter 7 on that file. I'll make that my min-maxing file. I'm really interested in seeing this plot and having access to both Hoshido and Nohr units.

Conquest is great.

Fates RNG is full of shiiiiiiiiit.

Did they stop using psuedo random number generation for calculating the chance to hit in Fates?

Last time I read about it Awakening's percentages weren't exactly as displayed. So percentages higher than 50% are actually higher than the given number while it's lower for anything under 50%.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Did they stop using psuedo random number generation for calculating the chance to hit in Fates?

Last time I read about it Awakening's percentages weren't exactly as displayed. So percentages higher than 50% are actually higher than the given number while it's lower for anything under 50%.

Apparently it doesn't average 2 random numbers anymore. All the prior (English) games did that. Beyond that I don't know how it works.

I can't help but wonder if they changed the crit formula too, because I've seen more single digit crits in this one playthrough (almost all from enemies...) than every prior FE game combined.

Don't think I have it in me to play through another one after Conquest. Will be totally burned out by the time I finish it, and I'm not even doing the paralogues.

Chapter 23 is killing me, I managed to make it through the spear masters but the snipers on the roof are brutal not to mention enemies keep following me from behind.

Any tips?

Balphon

Man when does Mozu get good?she's almost at level 10 and still can't take a hit.

I'm at the end of Conquest Hard and she is my most reliable powerful unit. She was slightly fragile at first but has been pretty solid in her role since like 12 archer or so.

She's a 16 Sniper for me at present with 33 STR, 36 SPD, & 29 DEF. I think she has my second highest overall stat score after Corrin. She doubles everything and can't miss since her skill is capped (at 40) and she has Certain Blow.

Azuran

Banned
Chapter 24 is killing me, I managed to make it through the spear masters but the snipers on the roof are brutal not to mention enemies keep following me from behind.

Any tips?

You mean chapter 23 right? If yes, kill everything on the ground before heading to the roof. You can slowly pick enemy on the roof by sending someone like Effie or Xander to tank and then head back down the stairs to heal. The enemies won't follow and will go back to their original position so just can keep doing over and over again this until the enemy numbers are more manageable.

It's boring and tedious but it's the safest way.

So I managed to get my hands on an LE.

If I haven't played Awakening can I play Fates first? Or would Awakening feel like a regressive downgrade following Fates in terms of gameplay and features? Does the order matter in terms of plot at all between the two?

Azuran

Banned
So I managed to get my hands on an LE.

If I haven't played Awakening can I play Fates first? Or would Awakening feel like a regressive downgrade following Fates in terms of gameplay and features? Does the order matter in terms of plot at all between the two?

You can play Fates now and easily go back to Awakening later on. Fates is the more refined experience but the changes between the two are not so that drastic that Awakening is going to feel like a downgrade.

As for plot, they're not connected except for a few references and a couple of returning characters.

So I asked this before but no one answered, gonna ask again now. Does anyone know what the AI behaviour is for the order of enemy units attacking you? I know that ninjas go first to debuff, but after that, would it be the most damaging enemy? Or is it just random? Sometimes I want to plan out which attack should be negated by Dual Gauge, but I can't seem to find a set behaviour atm.

You mean chapter 23 right? If yes, kill everything on the ground before heading to the roof. You can slowly pick enemy on the roof by sending someone like Effie or Xander to tank and then head back down the stairs to heal. The enemies won't follow and will go back to their original position so just can keep doing over and over again this until the enemy numbers are more manageable.

It's boring and tedious but it's the safest way.

Ah thats pretty good, I'll try that out since i was worrried about enemies following me down the stairs and trying to ambush them ended up being in disaster. Those snipers can take so much abuse and its annoying to deal with them.

So I asked this before but no one answered, gonna ask again now. Does anyone know what the AI behaviour is for the order of enemy units attacking you? I know that ninjas go first to debuff, but after that, would it be the most damaging enemy? Or is it just random? Sometimes I want to plan out which attack should be negated by Dual Gauge, but I can't seem to find a set behaviour atm.

This is something I've never experimented with as it's kind of time consuming to do on classic.

I know that if an enemy can go for a kill shot they will. Ranged prioritize targets they can kill and targets that won't attack back first. Melee will usually go for the squishiest person within reach.

jackal27

Banned
She's become one of my favorite characters through her supports alone. And I actually really like her supports with male Corrin since that actually feels like a proper natural progression to a relationship as opposed to some of the others. It's either her or Mozu he'll end up shacking up with in Birthright - sorry whichever dude I end up liking the least *cough screw you Azama you jerk all your supports suck so far cough*

Azama's supports with Felicia are pretty great just for anyone wondering. But yeah, he should be hung out to dry. I like his kid a lot though even though she isn't a great unit.

vareon

Can I get any help on Conquest level 18? Every enemy hits like a truck twice. I can't even get to the castle. Most of my units are promoted but so are they.

My observations, so take as you will. AI will go for a guaranteed kill if possible. So Ninjas/debuffers go first (order here seems based more on hit chance/damage done, not sure). If the AI determines it can kill your unit with its available resources, it will send the weaker units out first until you are in kill range, then send out a stronger unit to go for the kill. Its likely the weaker units are expected to suicide on your unit to clear space for other units. If the AI can't get a kill, it seems they aim for the most damage, but it also seems it follows a better safe than sorry strat. I do think the AI considers dual guard in its calculations, but not completely sure at what point. I think it is when it determines it can kill you on the next attack.

Note that this is for Conquest. I've noticed that on Birthright the enemies are dumb as bricks, and don't follow anything similar to this, but it was constant for my Conquest run. Both done on Hard/Classic.

Dimmle

My observations, so take as you will. AI will go for a guaranteed kill if possible. So Ninjas/debuffers go first (order here seems based more on hit chance/damage done, not sure). If the AI determines it can kill your unit with its available resources, it will send the weaker units out first until you are in kill range, then send out a stronger unit to go for the kill. Its likely the weaker units are expected to suicide on your unit to clear space for other units. If the AI can't get a kill, it seems they aim for the most damage, but it also seems it follows a better safe than sorry strat. I do think the AI considers dual guard in its calculations, but not completely sure at what point. I think it is when it determines it can kill you on the next attack.

I have noticed scenarios where enemies will choose not to target the guaranteed kill. I'm not sure what to make of that.

demidar

I have noticed scenarios where enemies will choose not to target the guaranteed kill. I'm not sure what to make of that.

It might be customized AI for certain units. I've also noticed enemies will go for targets that can't retaliate if it can't find anyone to kill, or it could be going for the target with the highest expected damage (Chance to hit x Damage). I parked a Rinka with high def next to a Mozu with high dodge and the enemy went for Rinka (though Rinka couldn't retaliate either).

It might be customized AI for certain units. I've also noticed enemies will go for targets that can't retaliate if it can't find anyone to kill, or it could be going for the target with the highest expected damage (Chance to hit x Damage). I parked a Rinka with high def next to a Mozu with high dodge and the enemy went for Rinka (though Rinka couldn't retaliate either).

That sounds like the general safe strategy for enemy AI. If there is an enemy who can't fight back, and one that can, if the unit that can fight back will kill or do significant damage, they will likely go after someone else, regardless of it they can do damage or not. It AI is biased to attack if they move at all, and further biased to move if an enemy is in range, so you get situations where stupid things like that happen.

Other situation where enemies won't go for a kill would be based on skills, or hit chance + counter damage. Something like my 10 defense Vantage + Strong Reposte Orochi is basically never targetted because she will kill most things that approch once under half hp, so instead they attack my 17 defense Wyvern Rider Mitama for less damage, but survive the turn. In other cases, they may go after Counter Elise, since even if one unit dies to the counter (Unlikely) the other unit can get the kill (most of the reason I find counter useless).

It is kind of random how the AI acts still. There is likely some custom AI going for stronger units on maps (probably similar for all stronger, not position locked generics). It also seems basic rules are toned down in Birthright, while they are more advanced in Conquest. I have yet to play Revelations, so I'm not sure, though I'd bet there is a mix of Conquest and Birthright AI strategy at play. Either way, more testing is needed.

Late game Conquest (starting Ch. 23) and my Odin Swordmaster has actually turned into one of my better units to my surprise. Not a massive damage dealer but he's damn near impossible to hit for most units (especially when he attacks) and his personal skill is pretty cool.

Shinypogs

Conquest complete! I eventually re-did hinoka's chapter with your guys advice so as to not lose anyone. I successfully kept the team alive through the rest of the chapters. Sacrifices were made to beat endgame though . I tried a lot of different strategies but ultimately I lacked the right units and tools to get everyone a out alive. Every time I wrecked the end bosses face with ease but getting all my units to him safely just never happened.

For my first time with a fire emblem game ( though not this genre ) I made some mistakes that cost me down the line but looking back are easy to recognise and just like with foiled battle plans you learn from mistakes and adapt for next time.

A true no loss including endgame play through will start later today and once I complete that I'll jump from normal to hard since I should then be ready to really test my knowledge and abilities.

Speaking of hard when I eventually grab birthright and revelations should I start them both on hard since they are easier than conquest.

spiritfox

Late game Conquest (starting Ch. 23) and my Odin Swordmaster has actually turned into one of my better units to my surprise. Not a massive damage dealer but he's damn near impossible to hit for most units (especially when he attacks) and his personal skill is pretty cool.

Swordmaster Odin wrecked shop in my Conquest run. With Heartseeker he had a 100% hit rate against the ninjas in Chapter 25.

PBalfredo

Sanity check:I'm 50 hours into Birthright and I'm thinking about resetting to get the right waifu. Good idea?

Despite being decidedly pro-yuri, the S rank between my fCorrin and Not-Tharja went over like a weak fart. Meanwhile, it has come to my attention that birthright is the only opportunity to snag Scarlet, best unit, best girl. Of course that means redoing birthright with conquest and revelations still ahead of me just to roll up a mCorrin. Good plan or am I crazy?

Top Bottom