• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Ogodei

Can anybody here give me a difficulty comparison for Conquest - Normal - Classic? Like how does it compare to other Fire Emblems? I've beaten Awakening, the two GBA ones, gotten pretty far in Radiant Dawn and Path of Radiance, and I'm about halfway through Mystery of the Emblem. I'm about to finish Birthright - Normal - Classic and I was planning to go Casual on Conquest based on the things I've heard about the difficulty, but something about playing a Fire Emblem game without permadeath really bothers me. Then again, I don't want to be restarting 30 minute missions 6 times in order to win.

After getting this close to the end of Birthright though, I feel like I may be ready to take on Conquest in Classic since I have a really good grasp on the classes, mechanics, and even other things like AI patterns and such.

What do you guys think? Also, how is Revelations' difficulty?

Normal-Classic is mean on your first run through. I raged a few times over stuff, but if i had known what was coming it would have been manageable and felt less unfair, but they throw a lot of new gimmicks at you tied with enemies that are tough enough to make you take notice. Between them you'll probably get your ass kicked a few times (per map in some cases) especially if you're a no-death player like me where getting your ass kicked simply means losing someone.

Lunar15

LOL I just got to Ch.18, I think it is on Conquest. The silliness of the story really hasn't bothered me so far. I mean, it's whatever. But Ch. 18 was pretty "whhhhaaatt..."

We're going to have dinner with our enemy, and then they're going to get surprised attack and we're going to save our enemy so WE can be the ones to defeat them in a fair battle. "OH BROTHER, HE'S JUST LIKE YOU.

Hilarious, okay. Whatever.

I just got to that last night and laughed out loud. Basically a sitcom.

Lynx_7

Can anybody here give me a difficulty comparison for Conquest - Normal - Classic? Like how does it compare to other Fire Emblems? I've beaten Awakening, the two GBA ones, gotten pretty far in Radiant Dawn and Path of Radiance, and I'm about halfway through Mystery of the Emblem. I'm about to finish Birthright - Normal - Classic and I was planning to go Casual on Conquest based on the things I've heard about the difficulty, but something about playing a Fire Emblem game without permadeath really bothers me. Then again, I don't want to be restarting 30 minute missions 6 times in order to win.

After getting this close to the end of Birthright though, I feel like I may be ready to take on Conquest in Classic since I have a really good grasp on the classes, mechanics, and even other things like AI patterns and such.

Go for it. If you've already beaten every single FE on Normal\Classic then Conquest shouldn't be much different than your experience with, say,FE7. Based on what I've seen on my brother's playthrough it looks pretty manageable, at least compared to Hard\Lunatic. Enemies have less skills and stats so they're not that hard to deal with individually. The usual suspects will probably still be tough, but doable. No need to feel intimidated at all.

JulianImp

Finally decided to restart my game on Hard/Classic and split into Birthright. I was fearing losing Sakura on the first chapter she was in was going to get her killed off for good, but luckily that wasn't the case. Suzukaze's been awesome so far due to how well he softens enemies up without taking counter damage. I've also had to focus on using Sakura and Aqua's passive abilities to protect my team rather than just sending someone ahead and killing everything in sight, which was a fun change of pace. Still, my Corrin's been getting abnormal growths in Str when I set him up as +Mag -Str, which is kind of weird since his Str has already surpassed his Mag.

I'll be trying to build a jail ASAP so I can try capturing enemies with Orochi and have a couple disposable grunts just in case. I've heard that you can't capture some enemy units though, but who exactly can't I get? I suppose you can't capture named units, but unnamed ones might be okay even if they're the leader unit, right?

What Corrin says to Sakura in Chapter 6 is actually really messed up when you side with Nohr lol. Paraphrasing:

Sakura: "Why are you attacking me? I haven't d-done anything to you!"
Corrin: "Sorry, Sakura, but I need you to go to sleep for a little bit..."
Sakura: "I-I don't understand!" *cries*

Of course, since she's a low-level Shrine Maiden and barely worth any experience points it would be too cruel to take advantage of her helplessness, I decided to spare her and finish off Yukimura instead.

Still, my Corrin's been getting abnormal growths in Str when I set him up as +Mag -Str, which is kind of weird since his Str has already surpassed his Mag.

It's really weird, my Corrin has +Sp/-Lk and his speed and luck are only 2 points apart at level 10. I dunno if that's good or bad because I haven't been keeping track at how my speed has been growing each level, but I'm gonna remain optimistic.

JulianImp

It's really weird, my Corrin has +Sp/-Lk and his speed and luck are only 2 points apart at level 10. I dunno if that's good or bad because I haven't been keeping track at how my speed has been growing each level, but I'm gonna remain optimistic.

Mine actually has more physical than magical attack right now, which is kind of ridiculous since he started with way more magic attack than physical, and yet he kept getting good growths in physical but less so in magic. He still makes short work of armored enemies with his dragon form, which is pretty nice.

This is also the first character I actually built knowing about the secondary class option, since I can't read all the kanji and didn't actually bother to look them up online for the first one. I could kind of get a couple (knight, pegasus knight, samurai, sorcerer), but I didn't even know your choice would change which class Corrin can change into.

Mine actually has more physical than magical attack right now, which is kind of ridiculous since he started with way more magic attack than physical, and yet he kept getting good growths in physical but less so in magic. He still makes short work of armored enemies with his dragon form, which is pretty nice.

This is also the first character I actually built knowing about the secondary class option, since I can't read all the kanji and didn't actually bother to look them up online for the first one. I could kind of get a couple (knight, pegasus knight, samurai, sorcerer), but I didn't even know your choice would change which class Corrin can change into.

Yeah, on my first playthrough (Birthright) I just chose whatever sounded coolest (Ninja!), then when I realized what the Heart Seal did I rolled my eyes, considering I literally had 3 other ninjas in my team. Now in my Conquest playthrough I chose Archer since I heard those are good for that campaign and there are not many of them available to you.

Question: What does choosing Dragon do? Corrin's already a dragon and as far as I know there isn't a specific Dragon class in the game...

PK Gaming

. Still, my Corrin's been getting abnormal growths in Str when I set him up as +Mag -Str, which is kind of weird since his Str has already surpassed his Mag.

Corrin's base strength growth is 45 (60 when you factor in the bonuses from their starting class). -Str drops it by ten, so 50, but that's still really good.

Btw, -Luck is a better dump stat since the deficits are practically unnoticeable. Luck itself can be quickly patched up the Goddess Icon (which gives you +4 Luck after use)

JulianImp

Question: What does choosing Dragon do? Corrin's already a dragon and as far as I know there isn't a specific Dragon class in the game...

The JP kanji for that were something along the lines of "dragon knight" (I think I remember it starting with 竜 and ending with 士), so that must've been a weird localization decission or something along those lines.

Shinypogs

Magic centric MC is hilariously fun and stompy on conquest normal mode. First I was an all mighty dragon dishing out the nukes and tanking with no fear, then at lvl 15 I class changed to diviner and became a dodge tank ( not as dodgy as my Nina from last run though, idk if all Ninas are neigh untouchable or if having Azura for a mom helped in that respect but god damn that girl was amazing) while still laying down the pain with magic.

I just hit level 20 during chapter 15 so it's time to go Basara until I get the skills I want then finally on to Nohr noble so I can have my dragonstone back and still use tomes. Will also have Yato in my inventory just for the stat boost .

I really wanna play the other two versions but I don't own my own 3ds currently and am waiting for a price drop or decent sale ( Canadian dollar is the worst, prices on the 3ds actually went up recently).

Busaiku

Does Paralogue 6 have any bonuses?
I decided to just rush through and Capture Candace on the 2nd turn.
Didn't save in case I missed out on anything major besides EXP.

CazTGG

Honestly, Conquest is pretty manageable, arguably moreso than Birthright (assuming you didn't grind in Birthright, which I didn't on my first playthrough) as Birthright's difficulty fluctuates quite a bit from map to map whereas Conquest tends to remain on a gradual, upward curve. It's still Fire Emblem, meaning it's very challenging, but if you can handle Radiant Dawn on Normal, it shouldn't be a problem.

Revelation has (thus far) been a cakewalk, easily the least challenging of the three thus far. Also the least enjoyable in terms of design and story but I digress.

What Corrin says to Sakura in Chapter 6 is actually really messed up when you side with Nohr lol. Paraphrasing:

Sakura: "Why are you attacking me? I haven't d-done anything to you!"
Corrin: "Sorry, Sakura, but I need you to go to sleep for a little bit..."
Sakura: "I-I don't understand!" *cries*

Yeah, that really irritated me given how much Corrin would later whine about the decision he makes and the actions his party partakes in. Go to all of the hells, Corrin.

I didn't finish Birthright (stopped at ch22, haven't played in a month), I've decided to start Conquest. I'm going to focus on using the characters I like this time and not worry so much about optimizing every turn, as it just ate away at my soul each time I had to restart. Any favorite supports I should look out for?

I didn't finish Birthright (stopped at ch22, haven't played in a month), I've decided to start Conquest. I'm going to focus on using the characters I like this time and not worry so much about optimizing every turn, as it just ate away at my soul each time I had to restart. Any favorite supports I should look out for?

Laslow X Peri
Laslow X Selena
Elise X Odin
Xander X Charlotte
Camilla X Niles
Odin X Laslow
Selena X Odin
Benny X Breuka
Niles X Odin
Corrin X any of their siblings.

To name a few.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Infinite rescue would be broken and amazing. That would almost be worth running 3 healers for. Thinking of it, how many healers others run? I've been stuck on running 2 (Felicia + little sister), but I've been thinking of sending Felicia into dlc classes to hopefully become a bit more powerful ever since someone pointed out that she is a promoted class and would get those dlc skills fairly quickly.

I don't use any dedicated healers. Felicia (maid), Elise (strategist), and Leo (strategist) can all use them, but they are all competent attackers too. Poor defense though. Leo is probably the worst of the three since he lacks skill and speed, and doesn't have the mag to make up for it. And his staff rank is bad.

I don't feel like the difficulty of the maps and enemies Conquest Hard is that bad. It definitely makes you think and doesn't hesitate to punish the smallest mistakes, but it's not unmanageable or crazy difficult.

The biggest struggle is the RNG. Nothing like missing constantly with 80+ hitrates as you watch enemies reliably hit you with 50s. And successfully activate single digit crits on a frequent basis. I'm taking a break from the game because of that, it's so frustrating to lose because of things entirely outside of your control.

ChrisD

Beat Chapter 12 Conquest. Grabbed both chests, killed the two lackeys which block the exit path (getting the Kodachi in the process) and escaped in my last turn. I love when you get those turns that you planned multiple turns ahead and it all works out.

Chapter 13 is really hard already though... I can't start because I don't know who I want to use. Everyone's character is great, I don't want to leave anybody in the dust. D:

Beat Chapter 12 Conquest. Grabbed both chests, killed the two lackeys which block the exit path (getting the Kodachi in the process) and escaped in my last turn. I love when you get those turns that you planned multiple turns ahead and it all works out.

Chapter 13 is really hard already though... I can't start because I don't know who I want to use. Everyone's character is great, I don't want to leave anybody in the dust. D:

I wouldn't worry too much. The game starts opening up in how many units you can bring, and if you know how to feed units exp you can catch up a few really easily. I did it with my Silas and Laslow, where I dropped them for a few chapters then brought them back and had them up to speed in the first 5 turns (I got some good rng on unit placement, but the point still stands). Just make sure to pick you "final" team before chapter 20, and you'll be able to have them all levelled nicely. Though I actually leave child units to fill those last roles to save some time thanks to offspring seals.

ChrisD

Silas and Laslow are actually the two I'm thinking of leaving off for the Chapter. If it's easy enough to get them back up I guess that will be the best choice.

So I beat Conquest on Sunday. That was probably one of the worst stories I've seen in a game in a LONG time. Gameplay was great, of course, but man that story. Speaking of story, would I be lost if I just skipped Birthright and went to Revelations? From what I hear the gameplay of Birthright is pretty boring, so I'm thinking I'll just go to Revelations, but if I REALLY need to play Birthright to get the story of Revelations I'll play Birthright as well.

Neol

So I beat Conquest on Sunday. That was probably one of the worst stories I've seen in a game in a LONG time. Gameplay was great, of course, but man that story. Speaking of story, would I be lost if I just skipped Birthright and went to Revelations? From what I hear the gameplay of Birthright is pretty boring, so I'm thinking I'll just go to Revelations, but if I REALLY need to play Birthright to get the story of Revelations I'll play Birthright as well.

There some things here and there but I feel Conquest covers mostly what you need to know storywise so if you want to you could play revelations.

You miss out on some character stuff if you care about that though.

Lunar15

Do what I'm going to do and just youtube the story of Birthright. Then I'm going straight on to Revelation.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Birthright is by no means boring. It plays like Awakening and gets a lot of mileage out of the route objective.

Birthright is by no means boring. It plays like Awakening and gets a lot of mileage out of the route objective.

That is true if you play it before Conquest. After Conquest though, Birthrout is a slog, especially if you play it on the same difficulty. Up to chapter 18, and virtually everything has been straight routs and dumb-as-a-rock AI. I'm not saying its bad, but I definitely can understand Birthrout being boring.

Xenoflare

That is true if you play it before Conquest. After Conquest though, Birthrout is a slog, especially if you play it on the same difficulty. Up to chapter 18, and virtually everything has been straight routs and dumb-as-a-rock AI. I'm not saying its bad, but I definitely can understand Birthrout being boring.

I restarted from Normal to hard for Birthright (played conquest first)

Stopped at ch 16 and restarted to hard. I can't imagine playing Conquest on higher difficulties after chapter 21.

Lynx_7

After completing Conquest with a male Corrin, I decided to restart from the very beginning so I could roll a female Corrin (which I foolishly named Corrina and now will forever regret not naming her Corrine because I'm dumb) for Birthright and get some levels for Jacob. Already off the bat I noticed some familiar faces on the very first chapter which I hadn't noticed on my first time through. Killing all of my Nohrian comrades is going to suck, huh? I'm so sorry.

Going to try Lunatic/Classic so it'll be fun to see how it fares in comparison to Conquest Hard/Classic
(which I kiiind of regret not going Lunatic, though I guess that'd have been too stressful/frustrating for a first playthrough specially considering some of the trickier maps like 20, so I guess it was for the best. Though I really wanted to say I beat all 3 routes on Lunatic =( )
Jacob is so much better than Felicia it's not even funny.

Xenoflare

After completing Conquest with a male Corrin, I decided to restart from the very beginning so I could roll a female Corrin (which I foolishly named Corrina and now will forever regret not naming her Corrine because I'm dumb) for Birthright and get some levels for Jacob. Already off the bat I noticed some familiar faces on the very first chapter which I hadn't noticed on my first time through. Killing all of my Nohrian comrades is going to suck, huh? I'm so sorry.

Going to try Lunatic/Classic so it'll be fun to see how it fares in comparison to Conquest Hard/Classic
(which I kiiind of regret not going Lunatic, though I guess that'd have been too stressful/frustrating for a first playthrough specially considering some of the trickier maps like 20, so I guess it was for the best. Though I really wanted to say I beat all 3 routes on Lunatic =( )
Jacob is so much better than Felicia it's not even funny.

Jacob will eventually suffer because of his lack of defence and resistence. People would say to class him to Paladin and Great Knight, but it just feels wrong to do that for me. But Felicia suffers the same problem with her just-better-than-Azura defences.

However, Jakob is def better than Felicia in the early game, and not having a great voice actor also helps.

The nail on the coffin for me to avoid male corrin is because I can't stand Felicia's voice, she's beyond salvation regardless of the language

GamerSoul

Finally beat the Soleil paralogue. It was pretty easy once I placed the obstacles in the right choke points. Some of the enemy units didn't even move after I did that.

jackal27

Banned
Honestly, Conquest is pretty manageable, arguably moreso than Birthright (assuming you didn't grind in Birthright, which I didn't on my first playthrough) as Birthright's difficulty fluctuates quite a bit from map to map whereas Conquest tends to remain on a gradual, upward curve. It's still Fire Emblem, meaning it's very challenging, but if you can handle Radiant Dawn on Normal, it shouldn't be a problem.

Revelation has (thus far) been a cakewalk, easily the least challenging of the three thus far. Also the least enjoyable in terms of design and story but I digress.

Haha Radiant Dawn on Normal is actually Radiant Dawn on Hard due to a translation problem so that doesn't instill a ton of confidence! Still, it sounds like most folks are saying to go for it so maybe I will.

Lucentto

Banned
Late game Paralogue 15 on Conquest Lunatic is the biggest bunch of bullshit I have encountered in this game yet. Endless reinforcements, an endless army of master ninjas makes this map a carnival of stupid. I'm about to just say fuck it and continue my run, before I just say fuck this game and go play something else. I'm just going to take this as a lesson and never try to attempt Paralogue's after Chapter 22.

Late game Paralogue 15 on Conquest Lunatic is the biggest bunch of bullshit I have encountered in this game yet. Endless reinforcements, an endless army of master ninjas makes this map a carnival of stupid. I'm about to just say fuck it and continue my run, before I just say fuck this game and go play something else. I'm just going to take this as a lesson and never try to attempt Paralogue's after Chapter 22.

find someone that can take 0 damage hits (hopefully royal so that s/he can slowly move toward the veins) from those ninjas/mechanist and lure them while the rest lure the others (general etc.) to avoid them killing the one baiting the ninjas

ChrisD

Chapter 13 Conquest was testing my common sense-o-meter... I tried to beat it four times in the same way every time. On the fifth attempt I finally realized, "Hey moron, you can't expect different results from the same thing," and played things out with a different plan. Lo and behold, the map was suddenly mine.

Also started the next chapter to get everyone equipped and stuff so I can hop right into the gameplay in my next session. Wooooow at that token "Corrin is an idiot" moment. Is everyone in the game blind and deaf?

Really liked the Conquest version of Lost in Thoughts All Alone. And lol again at (groans of increasing discomfort)
It's just like
The wording is amusingly specific, but it's the parentheses that make it I think.

Top Bottom