• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

I fight for my friends.

Speaking of which, I have a Vanguard Brand now. I remember Elincia's Gambit being fairly difficult (well, I remember most of Radiant Dawn being kind of difficult when not playing as Ike), but the really decided to go overboard with the number of enemies. I just couldn't reach the third boss because I was getting swarmed. But I need another Vanguard Brand, so I will try it again.

I played it on my Revelation file where i had all the kids at max level and it was pretty easy to rout the map.

But I can see how it can be difficult without a fully decked out team.

Balphon

I was mostly being paranoid about his flame shuriken. And on 25 I had my weaker units on his side with that lunging bowman of his.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Do you just have to beat Ryoma on chapter 25, or do you need to beat all three?

Because if it's just Ryoma that might actually make it harder.

On chapter 22 and am having a really hard time telling the difference between the color of the ground and the color of the pink enemy range. Already died twice (once being right at the end of the chapter) because I placed someone on the pink range thinking it was safe.

Being color blind sucks :/

More I play this game, the more I wish I chose casual. I love the difficulty, but just don't have the time to repeat hour+ maps like I did for earlier fire emblem games I played during HS/early years of college, especially when it's three games instead of one and i wanna see all of them.

Azuran

Banned
Blah. With a little decent luck Corrin can beat him. It's cleaning up the rest of the map for exp and chests that will be hard.

Use an Entrap staff to get rid of the ninjas with Spy Shurikens. Those are the real pain in the chapter since they have 3 range weapons. Once those go down the right side becomes a lot more manageable. The puppet part on the left side is annoying too but Xander can tank those if you give him some tonics and a support that increases his DEF.

I played it on my Revelation file where i had all the kids at max level and it was pretty easy to rout the map.

But I can see how it can be difficult without a fully decked out team.

Well, most of my team are glass cannons, even though they are all higher than level 20. And unfortunately, in the process of gaining skills, Xander and Ryoma were both Kinshi Knights (which has now changed since I got Ameratsu for both of them). So I had kind of limited myself to just having one unit go kill the bosses (I basically always pair up my units as well.

demidar

Use an Entrap staff to get rid of the ninjas with Spy Shurikens. Those are the real pain in the chapter since they have 3 range weapons. Once those go down the right side becomes a lot more manageable. The puppet part on the left side is annoying too but Xander can tank those if you give him some tonics and a support that increases his DEF.

I tried that once and both uses were dodged :/

Javier

Amazing how after chapters 7-11 in Revelations being all long maps that force you to play turtle, you get chapter 12 which can be easily 1-turned.

I actually felt Ch.10 in Rev was the least bad of the slow maps in early Revelation. Ch.9 was a lot worse because unlike its Conquest equivalent, you don't have many fliers to help you cut turns.

Well, most of my team are glass cannons, even though they are all higher than level 20. And unfortunately, in the process of gaining skills, Xander and Ryoma were both Kinshi Knights (which has now changed since I got Ameratsu for both of them). So I had kind of limited myself to just having one unit go kill the bosses (I basically always pair up my units as well.

My ignatius has 50 defense.

Everyone other than magic users were all like fuck this I'm not even going to try.

Balphon

You can draw them out safely by having a 2 range unit break the wall on one side and then pulling them back with sing/shelter.

JulianImp

Everyone other than magic users were all like fuck this I'm not even going to try.

Yeah, the same happened to me with Effie. The AI appears to be smart enough to not attack for zero damage, but I wonder if it takes debuffs and skills into account (most likely not).

Shinypogs

Second run complete. No losses even during endgame this time. I'd like to do the conquest main campaign on hard later on since normal is now too easy but I really really hate the endgame. At least let me save between the last chapter ( which can be beaten in 3 turns ) and endgame to save time.

The Ai in endgame is hilarious though. Whole mobs just running away from/around velouria to do 1 dmg to her father who had just slightly less defense and evasion. Either way anything that touched either of them usually died to counterattack or were softened up enough that get cleaned up by the rest of us on our steady march to victory.

I really liked playing a dragonstone and general magic based character this time. I might keep that up for the other two routes unless magic is severely underpowered in them.

For those of you who have been buying dlc what feels valuable content wise and what can be skipped?

Moonlight

Banned
Yeah, the same happened to me with Effie. The AI appears to be smart enough to not attack for zero damage, but I wonder if it takes debuffs and skills into account (most likely not).
It takes debuffs into account. Ninjas will attack units for zero damage if it means another unit can attack for more damage.

Shinypogs

It takes debuffs into account. Ninjas will attack units for zero damage if it means another unit can attack for more damage.

Yeah ninja were the only things to go after velouria though it ended up just being a trade of debuffs.

How does Ai compare across the fates games and compared to past games in the series if you know? Would you consider it good enough or are there improvements to be made in future games?

I just redeemed the save file of my original run by figuring out how to do endgame with no losses after suceeding there with my second run. Much thanks to the thread for thoughts and advice whenever I needed them on both runs.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Wondercon last weekend showed a point of frustration for FE: Fates.

Basically, there is no fast way to go though the streepasses. You can do 6-8 at a time, and after that you need to do a random battle or wait for the day refresh to get some more. It gets very time consuming when everyone and their cousin who brought their 3DS has this game.

Any tips for Chapter 24 conquest? I'm trying to hold my own against all the magic user enemies but I'm getting constantly ganged up by falcon knights and its seems like they never stop.

Any tips for Chapter 24 Nohr? I'm trying to hold my own against all the magic user enemies but I'm getting constantly ganged up by falcon knights and its seems like they never stop.

I found this one difficult too. Note: I played this on Normal, this may be invalid for Hard/Lunatic.

You can play this one at your own pace, actually. The flyer reinforcements only trigger at certain points on the map, or when attacking specific units. As long as you have decent defenses against flyers, you can turtle up and kill them, then slowly move across the map in a phalanx. The magic users, by comparison, were pretty much a cakewalk. Niles was really useful for me here because a) bow user, so physical damage (and handy against flyers), and b) high resistance.

Wow, that is pretty impressive. I don't even have Ignatius yet. I was trying to avoid using child units for my first runs of each path, and after I finished Revelation I was grinding the supports to unlock the Paralogues, then starting to go through them, stopping to grind money to buy Eternal Seals, and then kind of following that general pattern. And then I needed more Vanguards.

Edit: Has anyone else had a Vanguard get a crit and it does the sound effect twice in a row?

Reset

I thought after Chapter 6 the maps would be completely different between Conquest and Birthright. Disappointing to see that wasn't true...

Azuran

Banned
I thought after Chapter 6 the maps would be completely different between Conquest and Birthright. Disappointing to see that wasn't true...

The majority of them are. Some are shared but that's because both games takes place in the same world. It's not like the Rainbow Sage is going to build two different towers. Anyways, they have difference objectives in both games so it's not like it matters much in the end.

I'm making good progress in Conquest Lunatic. I'm on Chapter 23, and I think that I should be able to beat the main story missions.

The only big issue with the game's balance is that Paralogue 15 (Siegbert mission) is literally impossible on this difficulty. It cannot be beaten with normal units. Some of the other Paralogues like Sophie, Shigure, Midori, Dwyer, Kana, and Percy are still very doable.

NeonZ

There are only a few shared maps, if you don't count Revelation, although they come very close to each other, so it might give the wrong impression that there will be even more of them afterwards.

The children paralogues of the neutral children are completely reused though (it even stands out a lot in Conquest, since Conquest exclusive paralogues generally have enemies with more skills).

I'm making good progress in Conquest Lunatic. I'm on Chapter 23, and I think that I should be able to beat the main story missions.

The only big issue with the game's balance is that Paralogue 15 (Siegbert mission) is literally impossible on this difficulty. It cannot be beaten with normal units. Some of the other Paralogues like Sophie, Shigure, Midori, Dwyer, Kana, and Percy are still very doable.

it's still doable at that chapter (w/o skill buying abuse etc.). you just need to have someone that the ninjas do 0 damage and lure other group (general etc.) away from that character
and rng on your side of course

it's still doable at that chapter (w/o skill buying abuse etc.). you just need to have someone that the ninjas do 0 damage and lure other group (general etc.) away from that character
and rng on your side of course

How did you do it?

I've tried this for hours and changed up my strategies so much. The enemies spawn way too quickly from the dragon veins on Lunatic. I've tried so many strategies. If I try to clear the left veins, there will be too many Ninjas and Great Knights on the map. If I try for the right, I'll still get slaughtered by the other enemies.

The main problem is that the enemy types are too diverse for any unit (single or paired) to survive. Nobody can handle mages, spear/sword users, and archers all at one spot.

I pretty much gave up on it, and I'm only going to make another attempt simply because I got Shigure. I was already using two fliers, but I may need a third. Dragon Vein users are extremely important here.

I can beat the game without getting Xander's son, but I still think that the map should be manageable on Lunatic even if it's optional.

How did you do it?

I've tried this for hours and changed up my strategies so much. The enemies spawn way too quickly from the dragon veins on Lunatic. I've tried so many strategies. If I try to clear the left veins, there will be too many Ninjas and Great Knights on the map. If I try for the right, I'll still get slaughtered by the other enemies.

The main problem is that the enemy types are too diverse for any unit (single or paired) to survive. Nobody can handle mages, spear/sword users, and archers all at one spot.

I pretty much gave up on it, and I'm only going to make another attempt simply because I got Shigure. I was already using two fliers, but I may need a third. Dragon Vein users are extremely important here.

I can beat the game without getting Xander's son, but I still think that the map should be manageable on Lunatic even if it's optional.

the 1st 4 veins are quite straightforward. split army well and there should be no trouble closing those especially on the right side. those ninjas cannot kill my velouria with beastrune. at most they can only reduce her hp to 1 due to poison strike. so she can safely slowly move towards the vein and close it (since her mom is camilla). the only trouble is when the rest somehow cannot fully lure the greatknights/general away from her from the center.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
PXvgpkl.png

GSR

Man, Birthright 25 on Lunatic is not playing. Either I try to blitz up the center and abandon the chests (and deal with a decent amount of mess anyway), or I hunker down for an absolutely brutal war of attrition.

I do get a little bit of feeling that this is turning into "Bigger Numbers Emblem" like Awakening did near the end, at least compared to Conquest. Conquest's last few maps still relied on skills/placement/map design to make things difficult (give or take the bottom of Conquest 26) but this is much more "here's a ton of enemies with strong offensive power, hope you can overcome that."

spiritfox

Is there a Beastrune in Revelation? In at Chapter 20 but I haven't seen it yet.

Edit: Nvm, Velouria's holding onto one when she joins. Kinda a pain to wait for her though.

Man, Conquest is my first FE with limited experience and it's killing me. Basically, the only viable units are the ones I've been using since the beginning and the royals. Anybody I've benched even briefly is too weak to actually pull their weight in battle and they are a liability. Laslow and Peri in particular are completely unusable.

Charlotte and Benny are strictly guard stance fodder. They have zero offensive capability. Beruka can't survive a turn. Odin is level 6 and so, for all intents and purposes, is out of the game at this point.

I have had only story maps for 5-7 chapters. No challenges, no invasions, nothing. I have zero children. This sucks. I almost want to start over entirely.

I'm at Chapter 16, I think. The level with the ship and the treasure.

NeonZ

You can grind supports in My Castle battles to unlock children chapters even playing through Conquest.

Anyway, are you playing on hard? Really, aside from the higher difficulties of Shadow Dragon (which I never tried), I think Conquest Hard is probably the hardest "hard" mode out of the localized games. It seems comparable to Radiant Dawn Hard most of the time - which was actually Lunatic in Japan - but certain points are even harder than anything I remember from RD.

GamerSoul

I don't know what hurts worse..losing chapter 22conquest because my unit was one space away from seizing or losing a unit after that turn..

Wow, that is pretty impressive. I don't even have Ignatius yet. I was trying to avoid using child units for my first runs of each path, and after I finished Revelation I was grinding the supports to unlock the Paralogues, then starting to go through them, stopping to grind money to buy Eternal Seals, and then kind of following that general pattern. And then I needed more Vanguards.

Edit: Has anyone else had a Vanguard get a crit and it does the sound effect twice in a row?

The only children I was able to get naturally in Conquest were Percy and Opehlia. In Revelations I stopped at regular intervals to grind supports for children. The Gold DLC really helps with funds. It's the best one IMO.

That happens with lodestars too.

harpingon

Neo Member
I strongly advise against that. It's better to buy him only one of the games in physical form and then the other route through DLC. Then you buy the other game physical for yourself, and the other route through DLC. After that, you can both buy the 3rd route, which is DLC only. Not only it's cheaper (You save I think $40 by doing this), but you also get some benefits on owning multiple routes on one cart (like bonus promotion items).

Sound advice, thank you

Lynx_7

You can use either My Castle or the Before Awakening DLC to grind supports. I usually did the latter since most of the time I'm playing my 3DS I don't have access to the internet and after you have the map figured out each run takes about 3 to 5 minutes. Using paralogues to give lagging units a boost is pretty helpful on Conquest. Besides, you get to recruit some damn good units like Velouria and Ophelia.
Also if your Keaton can't pull his weight in battle then something terribly wrong has happened.

I think Conquest Hard is probably the hardest "hard" mode out of the localized games. It seems comparable to Radiant Dawn Hard most of the time - which was actually Lunatic in Japan - but certain points are even harder than anything I remember from RD.

I was wondering whether I should go Normal (Hard) or Hard (Lunatic) for my inevitable RD playthrough sometime in the future. I heard Hard has some stupid gimmicks like not showing the enemy's range and lack of a weapon triangle, in which case I don't even want to bother in a first playthrough. Compared to Conquest Hard, how does RD Normal stack up?

NeonZ

I was wondering whether I should go Normal (Hard) or Hard (Lunatic) for my inevitable RD playthrough sometime in the future. I heard Hard has some stupid gimmicks like not showing the enemy's range and lack of a weapon triangle, in which case I don't even want to bother in a first playthrough. Compared to Conquest Hard, how does RD Normal stack up?

Yes, RD's Hard mode eliminates the weapon triangle and also the player's help regarding enemy ranges. Enemy stats also are somewhat raised and there are more enemies, but less experience per enemy. Really, it just forces the player to bench some units, considering how the removal of the weapon triangle isn't necessarily a negative point - it hurts some characters and helps others. There isn't anything like Conquest's odd extra skills given to the enemies.

As far as Normal mode goes, I think it's significantly easier than Conquest Hard. The enemy stats can still be troublesome especially in the Dawn Brigade focused chapters, with several units being so frail that they can barely take two hits in the beginning (and this decreases to actually dying in two hits in hard mode), but it's still all basic positioning and comparing stats. Most stages have many choke points and small corridors, making it easy to use even those frail units while keeping them mostly out of danger.

There isn't anything like all the odd skills used by the enemies in Conquest - aside from some enemy staff users, but it's just silence and sleep. Although there are varied map objectives, the most complex ones are just for bonus experience. Then when you finally get Ike's party the game actually becomes rather easy for a while. You also get several overpowered units for end game without needing to do anything at all to train them beforehand.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Man, Conquest is my first FE with limited experience and it's killing me. Basically, the only viable units are the ones I've been using since the beginning and the royals. Anybody I've benched even briefly is too weak to actually pull their weight in battle and they are a liability. Laslow and Peri in particular are completely unusable.

Charlotte and Benny are strictly guard stance fodder. They have zero offensive capability. Beruka can't survive a turn. Odin is level 6 and so, for all intents and purposes, is out of the game at this point.

I have had only story maps for 5-7 chapters. No challenges, no invasions, nothing. I have zero children. This sucks. I almost want to start over entirely.

I'm at Chapter 16, I think. The level with the ship and the treasure.

One of the challenges is divvying up experience to your units. It's easy to get trapped in the cycle of using just a few reliable units, but eventually you need more than that and will struggle due to everyone else.not carrying their weight. Obviously you don't want to spread too thin either, your actively used units at any point shouldn't be more than what the game allows in a chapter (few exceptions since some chapters allow less units than normal).

You typically need to decide whether or not you are going to use someone when they join, after a couple chapters they will be too far behind and requiring babying to get them up to snuff. It's that much harder to bring in an under leveled unit if your core group is not well balanced and leveled. It isn't impossible by any means to catch someone up though, I started using lv 10 Peri in chapter 21 IIRC, took a couple chapters of babying but now she's caught up and very useful.

Conquest is tough though. Normal is probably a good idea for anyone whose prior FE experience is only Awakening, Birthright, and/or Sacred Stones.

nohr 21 was a pretty interesting chapter

could have fought through it but decided to cheese it by sending in an army of flying royals and their children

the story at the end of it was pretty lol

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Liked the game so far until the Endgame chapter. It's some stuff alright. Looks like I'll have to gather up the remaining offsprings by playing over and over the Before Awakening mission and then grind EXP to level up like half of my lineup for the final battle.

Since I'm almost done with Conquest, is it worthwhile to play the Hoshido path in terms of story or can I just go to play Revelations?

zelhawks37

On Conquest chapter 20 and difficulty has gone up greatly in a hurry. The wind makes this map 50x more difficult not to mention the reinforcements. I think Ill be stuck on this one for a while.

Top Bottom