• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Weebos

Banned
Dat feel in Conquest 23 when Ophelia has 35x2 and
Takumi
has a 0% hit chance.

Best offensive unit I've seen in FE ever.

I dropped my Ophelia for many chapters in Conquest, but picked her back up near the end for whatever reason.

She was still a monster.

Not as amazing in Revelation though, like most units.

Anustart

Finally beat birthright hard 14. Had put the game down for a bit, but eventually got the win by piling over to one side at the start and turtling basically.

JulianImp

Odin x Elise is hilarious.

Gotta agree, at least from what I've managed to make out of their JP support conversations. Elise eventually imitating Odin's grandiloquient word usage was fun to see, even more so since she was speaking phonetically (all hiragana) compared to Odin using kanji I could barely read.

Harold (Arthur, I believe?) + Selena was also entertaining with how much he freaked out when he heard a thunder (at least from what I managed to get). Finally, Nyx and (Suzu)kaze appear to get along relatively well, so I'm probably going to end up shipping them with each other as well.

I just managed to do one more chapter of Birthright on Hard/Classic, and (the one where your party meets up with Hinoka's), and it's still fairly easy without being an absolute push-over of sending everyone to recklessly attack with no consecuences unlike what happened on my partial normal playthrough.

Leiru

How the hell are you supposed to beat conquest 25 on hard? enemies just lunge you to the boss on the left and gang bang you on the right. And no i can't solo the boss by myself.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
That feeling when your gut knows the RNG. Saw this, and had a nasty sinking feeling. Had no other choice but to attack though.

Miss. FUUUUCK.

But Corrin was sick of the bullshit from this map I guess and got a crit, so I won. Miraculous.

Maybe that's a sign things will start getting better.

Lynx_7

It's kind of jarring how Takumi is all "hey buddy pal beloved sis I'll help you take out this dude no prob, this is how you do things see pretty easy huh ain't I a swell guy" on the dream sequence at the beginning but then he's all like "hey how about FUCK YOU Nohrian scum I'll make
glorious nippon
Hoshido great again" at chapter 5. Just another thing that kind of stood out now that I'm replaying the first few chapters. Time to betray my adoptive family I guess.

That feeling when your gut knows the RNG. Saw this, and had a nasty sinking feeling. Had no other choice but to attack though.

Miss. FUUUUCK.

But Corrin was sick of the bullshit from this map I guess and got a crit, so I won. Miraculous.

Maybe that's a sign things will start getting better.

That's why Mozu was my goddess and savior with her guaranteed 100%hit rates on absolutely everything which prevented shit like this from happening when I was in a pinch. Snipers are so cool in this game.

Balphon

How the hell are you supposed to beat conquest 25 on hard? enemies just lunge you to the boss on the left and gang bang you on the right. And no i can't solo the boss by myself.

You can bait and choke off everything on the right safely by using sing and shelter effectively.

On the left you either need a strong tank to eat a bunch of hits (i.e. Effie, Keaton, Xander) or some freeze staves. Or both. Even so, they'll never be in position to lunge you all the way to Saizo unless you place units badly.

JulianImp

It's kind of jarring how Takumi is all "hey buddy pal beloved sis I'll help you take out this dude no prob, this is how you do things see pretty easy huh ain't I a swell guy" on the dream sequence at the beginning but then he's all like "hey how about FUCK YOU Nohrian scum I'll make
glorious nippon
Hoshido great again" at chapter 5. Just another thing that kind of stood out now that I'm replaying the first few chapters. Time to betray my adoptive family I guess.

Yeah, that was actually quite jarring. Having a brooding prince that doesn't trust Corrin does add some variety to how everybody else basically believes in and trusts the MC right from the start, but the character development derived from Takumi learning to trust Corrin appears to be quite a waste from what I've seen so far.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
That's why Mozu was my goddess and savior with her guaranteed 100%hit rates on absolutely everything which prevented shit like this from happening when I was in a pinch. Snipers are so cool in this game.

If Takumi hadn't dodged the freeze staff I'd have had 100% hitrate.

That applies to last time too, when I missed with 84. -20 avoid would have put me at 100. Guessing he might be immune to freeze similar to entrap.

Chapter 24 was surprisingly easy. When I saw what was going on in that chapter I expected it to be very challenging. When the reinforcements kept coming I expected to lose. But I beat it in one try and was never really seriously at risk at any point, somehow. I did have to leave one of the last reinforcement units since didn't have anyone left to kill it and if I took another turn it could have picked off a weak unit.

You know it's usually a bad idea to bring flyers to a ballista map, but for chapter 23 of Conquest they were my key units.

I totally employed my inner Zhuge Liang here because as soon as I looked at the map I thought of just avoiding Hinata and his legion of counter snipers all together.

What I did was use the 1st 6 or 7 turns or so was ferrying my units across the tiny gap in the bottom right corner of the map using the flyers, and then using that foothold to charge up the wall, killing the top ballistician and then proceeding to use his ballista to soften up the bottom ballista group, then kill Oboro and Takumi before finally moving on the to the Hinata side.

There is no way the designers didn't intend for that to happen. I felt like I was part of a Kingdom chapter. Great little addition to the map design.

Xenoflare

I liked Rev chapter seven, ten was so boring. Its the lowpint of Rev.

It felt wrong for me to gain that much weapon rank exp after playing conquest. I think my Jakob maxed out his Shuriken rank at around chapter 11ish.

Actually both Birthright and Revelation give me that vibe, it's impossible to level up weapon ranks in Conquest.

Azura got a fucking C lance in revelation like, pretty early on.

While in my Conquest end game file she's not even half way past E.

ChrisD

I'm getting really sick of resetting because of hit rates. 80% May as well be 50 for me. Anything below 50% for the enemy always hits.

Shinypogs

Watching takumi's vengeance proc and xander's aegis proc in return is hilarious.

Speaking of hilarious can I stack 2 boots on a character?

I'm probably late to the party, but I just beat all three routes, Phoenix mode after the BS that was one of the later chapters in Birthright
Kaze's no-warning death

Also beat the Hidden Truths DLC.

There is something seriously wrong with the fact that they gave us three routes. It has just completely destroyed the story. I understand why they did what they did, but the execution was absolutely awful. This is probably the worst Fire Emblem-story IMO. I haven't read back through the thread, but I'm sure there are plenty of people who agree with me.

It's so massively unsatisfying. Which is so bizarre because they hired a guy to FIX the story because that was one of the main complaints of Awakening (I actually really liked the story in Awakening) and now it's a total mess. *Hana's Echh sfx*

At least the gameplay is good. It's not as balanced as say, the GBA Fire Emblems, but it's worth playing.

I'm getting really sick of resetting because of hit rates. 80% May as well be 50 for me. Anything below 50% for the enemy always hits.

If the blow would be lethal, I have never seen it miss unless the accuracy was sub 40%

They consistently whiff 0s even with 75% hit rates.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'm probably late to the party, but I just beat all three routes, Phoenix mode after the BS that was one of the later chapters in Birthright
Kaze's no-warning death

There is something seriously wrong with the fact that they gave us three routes. It has just completely destroyed the story. I understand why they did what they did, but the execution was absolutely awful. This is probably the worst Fire Emblem-story IMO. I haven't read back through the thread, but I'm sure there are plenty of people who agree with me.

It's so massively unsatisfying. Which is so bizarre because they hired a guy to FIX the story because that was one of the main complaints of Awakening (I actually really liked the story in Awakening) and now it's a total mess. *Hana's Echh sfx*

At least the gameplay is good. It's not as balanced as say, the GBA Fire Emblems, but it's worth playing.
I, too, just beat the third route (Rev) and I disagree; the story was nowhere near great, but it was enjoyable on all three routes (less so on Conquest) and I like how you don't get the full picture until you piece together info from all three routes + Hidden Truths. It makes the world feel more organic; not everything is told to you and things are revealed totally by circumstance.

I don't like this or Awakening better - they're good in different ways. Great game, but next time, they should go the traditional route if only for one reason: BURN OUT. I got Birthright over a month ago and just now finished, and I see little character sprites when I close my eyes. I won't look at this game again for a long time, whereas in Awakening I ran through the main game two and a half times in a row.

harpingon

Neo Member
Can I ask please, what the language, violence and sex references are like in Fates?

My son is 9 and he loves Awakening. It's his most played game. He's done something over 300 hours in it (!).

I had completed Awakening before I let him play it, so I knew what was in it. Some slightly fruity words from Sully, and some marriage. Nothing too bad.

I note that Awakening and Fates are both PEGI 12, so, how do they compare in terms of mature themes?

I wont' have time to play through Fates (or even at all , actually) before his birthday, and he's desperate for Fates.

Thanks for any insights, gaffers

Can I ask please, what the language, violence and sex references are like in Fates?

My son is 9 and he loves Awakening. It's his most played game. He's done something over 300 hours in it (!).

I had completed Awakening before I let him play it, so I knew what was in it. Some slightly fruity words from Sully, and some marriage. Nothing too bad.

I note that Awakening and Fates are both PEGI 12, so, how do they compare in terms of mature themes?

I wont' have time to play through Fates (or even at all , actually) before his birthday, and he's desperate for Fates.

Thanks for any insights, gaffers

If your kid played and enjoyed awakening then there is nothing that should be a cause for concern in fates.

L95

Only when you S rank/marry a character. It has some embarrassing stupid stuff like blowing through the mic to cool your partner off.

Oh, yeah, that's still in, and the 'poke the screen for 5 seconds' to wake them up if they're napping.

harpingon

Neo Member
Only when you S rank/marry a character. It has some embarrassing stupid stuff like blowing through the mic to cool your partner off.

That doesn't sound like a trouble. I'm kicking myself I missed the special editions, but looks like I'll be buying four copies for Fates for his birthday! Two for me, two for him. We get competitive and bounce off each other with Awakening.

Plus, the PvP stuff in Fates sounds really good.

Thanks everyone.

luslanz

Neo Member
That doesn't sound like a trouble. I'm kicking myself I missed the special editions, but looks like I'll be buying four copies for Fates for his birthday! Two for me, two for him. We get competitive and bounce off each other with Awakening.

Thanks everyone.

Just note that it's cheaper to buy a physical copy and the other version from the eshop.

NeonZ

Kaze's no-warning death

I actually think that hiring an external writer for the story outline is the big culprit here. Fates is probably the FE where the story clashes the most with the gameplay and that likely came from someone not that deeply involved with the development writing the story outline. And it doesn't clash only with the gameplay - although the basic of the stories came from an external writer, the actual final script came from internal IS writer and another contracted team, and those elements often don't seem to match well at all (like Odin's, Laslow's and Selena's role in the main stories compared to the backstory shown in Hidden Truths). Lilith's and the Castle's role in the main story, after their initial introduction, also feel like part of that - since it's clear that later chapters were written completely ignoring the existence of the Astral Realm, with the characters often talking about needing to find places to rest or having no place to hide. The whole thing feels way too much like the work of multiple hands.

Oh, yeah, that's still in, and the 'poke the screen for 5 seconds' to wake them up if they're napping.

The first time I did that I just kept tapping at the screen like I was poking them, because that's what I would do normally to wake someone up.

Kaze woke up grumpy. =P

CazTGG

I actually think that hiring an external writer for the story outline is the big culprit here. Fates is probably the FE where the story clashes the most with the gameplay and that likely came from someone not that deeply involved with the development writing the story outline. And it doesn't clash only with the gameplay - although the basic of the stories came from an external writer, the actual final script came from internal IS writer and another contracted team, and those elements often don't seem to match well at all (like Odin's, Laslow's and Selena's role in the main stories compared to the backstory shown in Hidden Truths). Lilith's and the Castle's role in the main story, after their initial introduction, also feel like part of that - since it's clear that later chapters were written completely ignoring the existence of the Astral Realm, with the characters often talking about needing to find places to rest or having no place to hide. The whole thing feels way too much like the work of multiple hands.

That seems to be the case. I don't think it's a matter of a lack of involvement since Kibayashi was apparently fairly engaged in the title's development, often giving Intelligent Systems ideas like the online function for the My Castle feature (Iwata Asks pg. 4, 2015), rather that the story went through hell before it ended up in the final product. Looking through the credits and who's credited for what (Nami Komuro for the Birthright/Conquest scenario, Kibayashi as the original script writer, Kitajima for the third path and supports for B/C, etc.), it sounds like it was a mess.

I think I'm finally getting burned out as I'm nearing the end of Revelation after playing through Conquest then Birthright back to back to back. It really doesn't help that these maps just don't feel that fun. Chapter 24 was some hot garbage. It wasn't difficult, it was just rote memorization. Turn-based stealth can work, and I've already enjoyed it in games like Metal Gear Acid, but it's just so poorly done here. Chapter 25 is a total slog too. I keep dying because I get tired of picking off the enemies one by one in the narrow hallway and try to do a power play, only for one of my squishier units to get hit by a couple <50% chances and kick the bucket.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like my Corrin should be able to solo Ryoma in chapter 25. Both have hitrates in the low 60s, Ryoma gets three astra activations, Corrin gets 3 misses. Yep, sounds like Fates' RNG.

Azuran

Banned
I feel like my Corrin should be able to solo Ryoma in chapter 25. Both have hitrates in the low 60s, Ryoma gets three astra activations, Corrin gets 3 misses. Yep, sounds like Fates' RNG.

Ryoma is above the RNG. Anyone that played Birthright knows that.

champloo

Well Rhajat's paralogue sure is annoying.. didn't realize the reinforcement is non-stopping until a few turns into it. Then I thought taking out the boss should stop the reinforcement because you know, she is summoning them. But nope, by the time I figured out what to do, the map is already filled with faceless. There are so many of them that my 3ds took seconds during enemy phase making decisions.
Took me 3 hours clearing that mess up. Had to use an energy drop mid-battle on Hinoka so that she could one round the faceless with a guard naginata. Now she is way overleveled, at main story chapter 12 she is already level 17 lol.

So who do you guys fight for.

I fight for my friends.

Speaking of which, I have a Vanguard Brand now. I remember Elincia's Gambit being fairly difficult (well, I remember most of Radiant Dawn being kind of difficult when not playing as Ike), but the really decided to go overboard with the number of enemies. I just couldn't reach the third boss because I was getting swarmed. But I need another Vanguard Brand, so I will try it again.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Continuing Awakening's trend of holyshitthisisimpossible DLC, I see

Lynx_7

Since some of you are talking about the story I thought I'd give my two cents. There are a lot of problems with Fates' plot, but if I could choose a single aspect to fix that'd benefit the narrative the most, I'd choose Garon himself. I feel like his character's portrayal is the single biggest issue with the game's story.

The kind of moral conflict they were trying to portray just doesn't work when one of the sides is Mordor ruled by literal
blob
satan. I'm not saying he should be "morally grey" or sympathetic or whatever, no, he can still be a ruthless, power hungry ruler hellbent on conquering Hoshido and the central villain of both games, but at least portraying him as a charismatic/powerful leader figure to his followers, giving rousing speeches from time to time and being a somewhat caring father to his family (even small acts to show he still cares on some level would be enough) would make a lot of the characters' motivations and actions make more sense. At least the Nohrian siblings wouldn't look like morons if they actually had a reason to believe that, despite everything, Garon wasn't evil and was still a good king/father and might have a point in trying to conquer Hoshido to give his people a better land to live or whatever. The current reasoning of "oh yeah he's kind of a prick and mean to everyone and we don't like his orders but hey he puts food on our plates so..." just isn't convincing, and Xander's attempt of justifying his loyalty because
"but he used to be cool a long time ago or whatever I dunno"
at the end of Conquest rings hollow.
It could also help give him some kind of motivation besides "UNLIMITED POWAAAAAH" and make the inevitable clash against him more meaningful. With a stronger villain figure that doesn't just spend his free time sending his children into suicide missions and creepily laughing in an empty room, a lot of the sillier plot points could be reworked or removed altogether. If anything, if they chose to keep them it would be somewhat forgivable since at least the main conflict itself would be a little more gripping.
The kind of characterization they gave Garon just doesn't work all that well in the sort of plot Conquest/Birthright were going for. Fucking Validar would be more convincing in his role.

NawtKool

Neo Member
Since some of you are talking about the story I thought I'd give my two cents. There are a lot of problems with Fates' plot, but if I could choose a single aspect to fix that'd benefit the narrative the most, I'd choose Garon himself. I feel like his character's portrayal is the single biggest issue with the game's story.

The kind of moral conflict they were trying to portray just doesn't work when one of the sides is Mordor ruled by literal
blob
satan. I'm not saying he should be "morally grey" or sympathetic or whatever, no, he can still be a ruthless, power hungry ruler hellbent on conquering Hoshido and the central villain of both games, but at least portraying him as a charismatic/powerful leader figure to his followers, giving rousing speeches from time to time and a somewhat caring father to his family (even small acts to show he still cares on some level would be enough) would make a lot of the characters' motivations and actions make more sense. At least the Nohrian siblings wouldn't look like morons if they actually had a reason to believe that, despite everything, Garon wasn't evil and was still a good king/father and might have a point in trying to conquer Hoshido to give his people a better land to live or whatever. The current reasoning of "oh yeah he's kind of a prick and mean to everyone and we don't like his orders but hey he puts food on our plates so..." just isn't convincing, and Xander's attempt of justifying his loyalty because
It could also help give him some kind of motivation besides "UNLIMITED POWAAAAAH" and make the inevitable clash against him more meaningful. With a stronger villain figure that doesn't just spend his free time sending his children into suicide missions and creepily laughing in an empty room, a lot of the sillier plot points could be reworked or removed altogether. If anything, if they chose to keep them it would be somewhat forgivable since at least the main conflict itself would be a little more gripping.
The kind of characterization they gave Garon to be just doesn't work all that well in the sort of plot Conquest/Birthright were going for. Fucking Validar would be more convincing in his role.

While I slightly disagree with a couple minor details, most of this is hilariously true. In fact, he was painted so over the top as a villain that come Revelations when Leo and Xander
overhear Garon wanting to destory both Nohr and Hoshido
I was like "Wait, how had this not occured in any other path, and especially not sooner?"

Javier

Thanks everyone.
I strongly advise against that. It's better to buy him only one of the games in physical form and then the other route through DLC. Then you buy the other game physical for yourself, and the other route through DLC. After that, you can both buy the 3rd route, which is DLC only. Not only it's cheaper (You save I think $40 by doing this), but you also get some benefits on owning multiple routes on one cart (like bonus promotion items).

blob
satan. I'm not saying he should be "morally grey" or sympathetic or whatever, no, he can still be a ruthless, power hungry ruler hellbent on conquering Hoshido and the central villain of both games, but at least portraying him as a charismatic/powerful leader figure to his followers, giving rousing speeches from time to time and being a somewhat caring father to his family (even small acts to show he still cares on some level would be enough) would make a lot of the characters' motivations and actions make more sense. At least the Nohrian siblings wouldn't look like morons if they actually had a reason to believe that, despite everything, Garon wasn't evil and was still a good king/father and might have a point in trying to conquer Hoshido to give his people a better land to live or whatever. The current reasoning of "oh yeah he's kind of a prick and mean to everyone and we don't like his orders but hey he puts food on our plates so..." just isn't convincing, and Xander's attempt of justifying his loyalty because
The kind of characterization they gave Garon just doesn't work all that well in the sort of plot Conquest/Birthright were going for. Fucking Validar would be more convincing in his role.

But Mordor has the best Titties.

Top Bottom