• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Liked the game so far until the Endgame chapter. It's some stuff alright. Looks like I'll have to gather up the remaining offsprings by playing over and over the Before Awakening mission and then grind EXP to level up like half of my lineup for the final battle.

Since I'm almost done with Conquest, is it worthwhile to play the Hoshido path in terms of story or can I just go to play Revelations?
You can go on and play Revelations.

Astral Dog

Liked the game so far until the Endgame chapter. It's some stuff alright. Looks like I'll have to gather up the remaining offsprings by playing over and over the Before Awakening mission and then grind EXP to level up like half of my lineup for the final battle.

Since I'm almost done with Conquest, is it worthwhile to play the Hoshido path in terms of story or can I just go to play Revelations?

in terms of story? well its slightly better than Conquest and offers a different perspective while answering a few questions from the Nohr path.
But you could also go to Revelations without problem, depends if you want to play the complete three parts or not.i think its worthwile but so much content can get tiring. you can also play Birthright after Revelation.

NeonZ

If you have online access use online castle battles to grind supports, rather than the Before Awakening mission. It's much easier that way since you don't have to worry about losing units in castle battles.

getting crit at low chances means nothing to me anymore
it just means stop using arthur or weapons with negative dodge

missing at 90s hit rate bums me more

The only children I was able to get naturally in Conquest were Percy and Opehlia. In Revelations I stopped at regular intervals to grind supports for children. The Gold DLC really helps with funds. It's the best one IMO.

That happens with lodestars too.

Yeah, the Gold DLC is really good. It seems to give good EXP as well.

And that's interesting. Does anyone know why it does that?

Azuran

Banned
getting crit at low chances means nothing to me anymore
it just means stop using arthur or weapons with negative dodge

missing at 90s hit rate bums me more

Chapter 17 in Conquest is the worst it combines both of those aspects. I still have nightmares about it. 19 was pretty bad too with the bullshit miss against those kitsune.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
In retrospect, I think Conquest was my least favorite path. Some of the later chapters were hard in a gratingly annoying way (NINJAS IN
RYOMA CHAPTER
, I'M LOOKING AT YOU). Still liked all three.

Anyone playing this game should definitely play Birthright first. It introduces you to the world and characters in the most complete way
Valla nonsense aside
and has the simplest (but not the worst) gameplay.

Shinypogs

For my first ever Fire Emblem game Conquest was pretty damn good. It doesn't mess around on the challenge ( which is what I wanted since I'm familiar with the tactical rpg and real time strategy genres) but nothing that ever happened to me was ever the fault of the game not being clear or fair.

When I got cocky or played risky there was usually a price to pay in resetting over a death but it also felt like a learning experience. I can extend just this far against x enemies, or only y character can bait and retreat against ( insert annoying enemy type here) safely due to skills/weapon advantage/ etc. You learn fast which offensive/defensive enemy skills are going to be a hassle and which are negligible even if they trigger off. If you use the wolfskins then paying attention to turn number becomes second nature so you know when you can just chuck them in front of a door to hold the enemy back and then self heal while you use a healing staff on someone else.

Storywise Conquest wasn't the greatest tale I've ever played through but it's serviceable and the Nohr specific cast was memorable and fun. Of course I am likely to be biased because it was my first FE game and I really enjoyed everything but endgame except
the song oh god the song at the end was so nice.

I'm not saying everyone should start with Conquest but I wouldn't rule it out as an acceptable starting option over it's more forgiving sibling even if the story may be better on that side. I think people have to judge what they want out of the game because that will probably colour their view a lot.

Ice9

Got the game a month ago, only up to Birthright Chapter 11. Playing through on Hard/Classic...

Cannot get over how bad the story is. It is ruining my desire to play. The actual gameplay is great fun! But everything surrounding the game is just so...juvenile? Trite? I'm struggling to find the words. Everything the characters say to one another..."private" moments in your quarters...and they have children built into it I read *shudders* (I spoiled that part).

I had the same problems with Awakening. I remember being utterly drawn in by the first GBA Fire Emblem, and I thought I liked the series, but I think that was an outlier, either that or the series is going into a different directions?

Also a gameplay gripe, what is with the hilarious amount of enemy reinforcements in a map?

Back in the days of Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics we had it good...I miss those days.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
When I got cocky or played risky there was usually a price to pay in resetting over a death but it also felt like a learning experience. I can extend just this far against x enemies, or only y character can bait and retreat against ( insert annoying enemy type here) safely due to skills/weapon advantage/ etc. You learn fast which offensive/defensive enemy skills are going to be a hassle and which are negligible even if they trigger off. If you use the wolfskins then paying attention to turn number becomes second nature so you know when you can just chuck them in front of a door to hold the enemy back and then self heal while you use a healing staff on someone else.

This is how I've felt about previous FE games, but I feel like I've seen more single digit criticals through Conquest than every other FE game I've played combined. Like I've said before, I literally lost to sub-5% critical hits at the same spot in chapter 23 on my first six attempts. And it's not like I could do anything differently since it's a tiny corridor with enemies that you have to get close to before they engage you. Honestly though about dropping the game at that point.

Hitrates have also been irritating, a lot of times it works out okay - more misses than prior games due to the formula change, but about what you might expect. Sometimes I seem to go through ruts of very frequent misses with 80+ hitrates though. I've had times where it took three and four units to finish off an enemy because nobody could hit them, and sometimes that results in poor positioning and taking extra hits, ultimately leading to a loss a turn or two later.

L95

Got the game a month ago, only up to Birthright Chapter 11. Playing through on Hard/Classic...

Cannot get over how bad the story is. It is ruining my desire to play. The actual gameplay is great fun! But everything surrounding the game is just so...juvenile? Trite? I'm struggling to find the words. Everything the characters say to one another..."private" moments in your quarters...and they have children built into it I read *shudders* (I spoiled that part).

I had the same problems with Awakening. I remember being utterly drawn in by the first GBA Fire Emblem, and I thought I liked the series, but I think that was an outlier, either that or the series is going into a different directions?

Also a gameplay gripe, what is with the hilarious amount of enemy reinforcements in a map?

Back in the days of Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics we had it good...I miss those days.

Yes, Awakening is what started it for the most part. (Or Shadow Dragon and New Mystery perhaps, as Shadow Dragon had unused Avatar data and New Mystery introduced the first full fledged Avatar character, but that's a more "who you're asking" answer)

Just play anything from Radiant dawn (FE10), down.

Oh, also, assuming you aren't talking about Japanese releases, the game with Eliwood was the second GBA FE :B

This is how I've felt about previous FE games, but I feel like I've seen more single digit criticals through Conquest than every other FE game I've played combined. Like I've said before, I literally lost to sub-5% critical hits at the same spot in chapter 23 on my first six attempts. And it's not like I could do anything differently since it's a tiny corridor with enemies that you have to get close to before they engage you. Honestly though about dropping the game at that point.

Hitrates have also been irritating, a lot of times it works out okay - more misses than prior games due to the formula change, but about what you might expect. Sometimes I seem to go through ruts of very frequent misses with 80+ hitrates though. I've had times where it took three and four units to finish off an enemy because nobody could hit them, and sometimes that results in poor positioning and taking extra hits, ultimately leading to a loss a turn or two later.

See, I haven't had anything near the experience you had. Everything really checked out for me. If there was a low chance to crit, it only happened once or twice in the playthrough. I focused a lot on making sure whoever was getting hit wouldn't die from a crit and the following attacks (if any) to avoid that situation though. Even then, a change as small as switching pair up partners, using rallies, etc can completely change the rng you get, so you shouldn't get stuck in a condition where you have to lose a unit. As for hit rates, I never had an issue with them. I missed a lot of 56 and lower hit chance attacks, but that is expected since its a coin flip, right? Anything over 70% basically always hit for me. I find the experiences people get from these games to be so interesting because of how rng really screws with people, saves maps, or turns characters into gods.

Birthright Chapter 14 (Hard/Classic) is long and intense, so many enemies ;_;
I used about 1 hour to clear the first area, then I bookmarked the game to rest. I did not bring both
Ryoma and Scarlet
to the battle as I want to level up my other units first.

If memory serves right, enemy reinforcements are pretty common in the GBA games. The amount of enemies in Chapter 11 is fine. If there is no reinforcement in the first place, Chapter 11 will have too few enemies to fight.

In a dilemma right now. I'm in the final turn in Conquest 12 and I have two active units left to either defeat Ryoma or just head to the goal.

One unit, Peri, can hit Ryoma for 17 damage, but has a 67% hit rate. Ryoma can counter with an attack that won't kill her, but would if it crits (4%). The other unit, Beruka, can go for the kill, but if she misses (70% hit rate) I lose the map since I would run out of turns. I even did some fancy maneuvering to get Felicia to Enfeeble him, but Ryoma's quite the tank regardless.

Should I go for it? Or should I cut my losses and just go for the goal? This is actually my first go on the map and I'm surprised I made it through without losing anyone since everyone on here were telling nightmare stories of this map.

Azuran

Banned
In retrospect, I think Conquest was my least favorite path. Some of the later chapters were hard in a gratingly annoying way (NINJAS IN
RYOMA CHAPTER
, I'M LOOKING AT YOU). Still liked all three.

Anyone playing this game should definitely play Birthright first. It introduces you to the world and characters in the most complete way
Valla nonsense aside
and has the simplest (but not the worst) gameplay.

Yeah after playing both, I have to agree with this. Birthright is obviously the original path they were going for. It's a lot more straightforward, and doesn't insult anyone's intelligence unlike Conquest which kept pulling random crap out if its ass to drive the plot forward. There's also a better sense of conclusion in Birthright.

It's such a shame they decided to keep the gameplay relatively simple. I still find it to be one of the better games in the series, so it didn't matter much in the end for me thought.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
In a dilemma right now. I'm in the final turn in Conquest 12 and I have two active units left to either defeat Ryoma or just head to the goal.

One unit, Peri, can hit Ryoma for 17 damage, but has a 67% hit rate. Ryoma can counter with an attack that won't kill her, but would if it crits (4%). The other unit, Beruka, can go for the kill, but if she misses (70% hit rate) I lose the map since I would run out of turns. I even did some fancy maneuvering to get Felicia to Enfeeble him, but Ryoma's quite the tank regardless.

Should I go for it? Or should I cut my losses and just go for the goal? This is actually my first go on the map and I'm surprised I made it through without losing anyone since everyone on here were telling nightmare stories of this map.

I would probably attack with Peri and if that fails, get out of there with Beruka.

But if it was me she would miss and Ryoma would probably get a crit. So you might not want to listen to me.

I would probably attack with Peri and if that fails, get out of there with Beruka.

But if it was me she would miss and Ryoma would probably get a crit. So you might not want to listen to me.

I think I decided. I'll just go attack with Corrin (currently paired with Peri) since he definitely won't die, get the cool stand-off text and some EXP, then slip by Ryoma with Beruka like the sniveling Nohr coward I am.

EDIT: Wait, you can't escape with anyone besides Corrin!? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

EDIT2: Oh my God, I have to rely on Arthur landing a 28% attack. Arthur, please don't live up to your character trait...

EDIT3: He got Vantaged + Crited. UGGHHHHHHHHH

Azuran

Banned
I think I decided. I'll just go attack with Corrin (currently paired with Peri) since he definitely won't die, get the cool stand-off text and some EXP, then slip by Ryoma with Beruka like the sniveling Nohr coward I am.

EDIT: Wait, you can't escape with anyone besides Corrin!? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

EDIT2: Oh my God, I have to rely on Arthur landing a 28% attack. Arthur, please don't live up to your character trait...

EDIT3: He got Vantaged + Crited. UGGHHHHHHHHH

I hope you learned your lesson. If you have to rely on Arthur of all people, then you're better off not even trying.

I hope you learned your lesson. If you have to rely on Arthur of all people, then you're better off not even trying.

How was I supposed to know that only Corrin can escape, though? The game made no indication of saying that, unlike in chapter 12 of Birthright. =/

The game doesn't mention only Corrin can escape? I hadn't realized that...

Yeah, in Birthright the game explicitly mentions that. In Conquest the win condition is "Defeat boss or escape in 16 turns".

It should've been "Defeat boss or have Corrin escape in 16 turns."

Really? RNG must have saved my Arthur, because I have 78/68 hit and crit with a great club against most enemies in chapter 18. He kills most anything in one hit.

Azuran

Banned
Really? RNG must have saved my Arthur, because I have 78/68 hit and crit with a great club against most enemies in chapter 18. He kills most anything in one hit.

It's taking damage the part that gives your a heart attack with him. He has the lowest crit evasion in the game so even a 5% has a higher chance of activating. It doesn't help that they slightly nerfed luck by only giving you 0.5% crit evasion per point instead of 1% per like in the previous games.

It obviously doesn't matter if he kills them before they attack, but it's such an annoyance against units with high critical rates especially because those also tend to have high evasion.

Finally beat Revelation. All 3 paths now complete.

Revelation had that epic endgame that I thought was missing from both Conquest and Birthright. I loved it. It was my favorite path despite the story being pretty terrible (but better than the other two).

Almost 80 hours into all 3 of these paths and I've only unlocked one child. I got super burnt out on FE so I probably wont get the rest of the kids or supports. Might YouTube them or go back to them at a later date.

Regardless, this was a phenomenal game. Gameplay, graphics, music (sweet Lord the soundtrack...), everything minus the story is 10/10.

Time to scour the internet for fan art!

izuna's recruitment is hilarious especially after it coming from one of conquest's lol story events

yes, yes, i know sad stuff just happened, but i'm hair now to brighten up your day!

Finally beat Conquest 12. Should've been done with it 4 hours ago. =_=

At least I (barely) beat Ryoma this time around. I committed to beating him when I decided to use Corrin against him in the final turn again, but this time I had all of my team to back me up.

Then I got 4 misses in a row (including assists). Great. Here is Ryoma down to 10 HP and no one can hit him, and Vantage makes him extra scary.

Fortunately, my last hope, Effie, came through for me and finally sealed it.

PK Gaming

tumblr_o529mxTsPv1slo4r9o1_1280.png

source

Draxal

Finally beat Revelation. All 3 paths now complete.

Revelation had that epic endgame that I thought was missing from both Conquest and Birthright. I loved it. It was my favorite path despite the story being pretty terrible (but better than the other two).

Almost 80 hours into all 3 of these paths and I've only unlocked one child. I got super burnt out on FE so I probably wont get the rest of the kids or supports. Might YouTube them or go back to them at a later date.

Regardless, this was a phenomenal game. Gameplay, graphics, music (sweet Lord the soundtrack...), everything minus the story is 10/10.

Time to scour the internet for fan art!

Rev's story turns into a trainwreck into the end, it's kinda amazing. The soundtrack is ace in this game.

Reset

Well I finished Birthright and found it to be less enjoyable than Conquest. Besides Takumi, the other three siblings have no personality at all. Compared to Conquest, the Birthright cast is boring, at least the story was a slight improvement. Conquest had the better maps, characters, and objective. Oh and I feel like I was little to harsh on Conquest initially because of that cringey stuff.

I thought both games would feel like "full games," but nope. After beating Conquest there was a bunch of stuff left unanswered and unexplained. Birthright explains some of the stuff that Conquest doesn't even bother explaining, but story wise both games feel incomplete. It seems like I'll have to play the third route to get the full picture. :/

Well to edit my rankings on the localized FE games that I've played so far.
FE: 7 > FE:poR > FE:SS > FE:Awakening ~ FE:RD > FE:Conquest > FE:Birthright > FE:SD

Time to start on the third route, but I feel like replaying Conquest after beating Birthright for some reason haha.

NeonZ

Path of Radiance also had a bunch loose plot threads that were only answered by Radiant Dawn... Although I guess the difference is that Conquest's and Birthright's endings go out of their way to make the characters wonder about some of those questions in the ending, only to give no answer by themselves, while in Path of Radiance those unanswered questions are just pushed aside and ignored by the game's ending.

Reset

Hmm last time I've replayed PoR was like a year and half ago in the Summer. But what were the stuff that went unanswered in PoR(Spoiler them I guess,) maybe I'm mixing both RD and PoR together in my memory. But I don't remember much stuff being left unanswered in PoR.

Do I need to keep statues out all the time to increase the caps?
Or can I put them away after they hit it?
Theres a tournament happening on /r/fireemblem and apperently one rule is that theres no statues allowed for more easily attainable caps. So from that I assume that you have to have them out to keep those caps

NeonZ

Hmm last time I've replayed PoR was like a year and half ago in the Summer. But what were the stuff that went unanswered in PoR(Spoiler them I guess,) maybe I'm mixing both RD and PoR together in my memory. But I don't remember much stuff being left unanswered in PoR.

Path of Radiance gives no origin to the Black Knight at all, aside from Greil knowing him somehow, or any explanation about how
he had an unknown goddess blessed armor, in addition to having a famous legendary weapon. He also isn't found after the castle falls.
There's also Sothe, who joins Ike's party while searching for someone who never appears in PoR, Betram's real identity and
Renning (Elincia's uncle) disappearance
. Also, Izuka, who created the feral Laguz, just
escapes in one of the final chapters.

There was a lot of sequel bait there. They just were more polite about it, with the ending focusing on what the game actually covered, retaking Crimea and defeating Daein, while in Conquest and Birthright there's a scene right in the ending where the characters start mentioning some unanswered questions but give no answers.

Reset

There was a lot of sequel bait there. They just were more polite about it, with the ending focusing on what the game actually covered, retaking Crimea and defeating Daein, while in Conquest and Birthright there's a scene right in the ending where the characters start mentioning some unanswered questions but give no answers.
Ah I guess you're right. I originally played PoR and RD back to back so I guess I never noticed it much. But yeah Fates feels pretty insulting since in Conquest
90% of Garon's dialogue has something to do about his "God/Master," and in the main story there is no explanation as to why Garon and Takumi ended up being possessed. The game doesn't explain how Garon turned into the blob monster and Azura's disappearance is out of no where.
In Birthright
Xander's final dialogue has to do with something about Garon now being a completely different person. And Garon's final words are something along the lines that he's been dead for a while.
The game's ending are basically telling you fork over another $40 if you want to fill in these holes.
In PoR,
I guess I never noticed it much since I played it back to back and I guess I ended up assuming a lot of stuff. I don't remember Sothe playing a huge role in the game so I kinda forgot about him and PoR I ended up assuming the Black Knight died after the building collapsed. The plot holes weren't that obvious and I felt like PoR ending was satisfying enough.
:/

Rev's story turns into a trainwreck into the end, it's kinda amazing. The soundtrack is ace in this game.

It really does.
Glad I didn't accidentally marry my cousin before that revelation

My biggest letdown though was that it didn't feel as epic as Awakening. For all of its fault, Awakening's scale felt much larger whereas in all of the Fates branches you just
go from one castle to another and fight the dude there
. I never felt that kind of world ending tension, until the Rev endgame which was fantastic.

Revelation though was just full of awesome fan service. I loved watching the two royal families interact.
The Fire Emblem theme
during the ending cinematic gave me legit goosebumps. Sooooo good.

I also don't remember seeing the scene where
Dragon Corrin chokes and drags Azura underwater
like on the trailer. There was that scene in chapter 5 I think? But they werent the same. Did I miss it or was it not in the game at all?

Shinypogs

Conquest endgame. Dont even know how to approach this.

There's quite a few different strategies out there depending on the makeup of your team and the difficulty you are on. For myself I left behind everyone who couldn't take hits, popped some tonics during the prep stage and marched my group in a tight ball down the left side of the map. I killed enemies in my way or that would go down in one hit otherwise I drank some heals and kept moving forward on my turn. The idea is to let enemies whittle themselves down or suicide to your units counter attacks during the enemy phase.

Basically outside of
hiding from takumi's light wave
keep your army moving and deal with the enemies you have to but not everything that is on the map. The boss himself is actually incredibly easy, getting to those boss was what tripped me up for the longest time. The longer you wait and try to clear the map the more reinforcements are going to clog up your path to the boss.

You can also look up the 2 turn strat that people use to beat lunatic difficulty but that will require a bit more work in terms of making sure you have the right units with the right skills. On the other hand it is a more fancy and tactical way of beating the endgame so very true to the spirit of the series.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone else feel like a lot of the non-standard weapons tend to have too many downsides?

I got an Anna's Bow. Does that really need a stat penalty? The MT is only 8 and it requires a B rank. It's upside is great hit (120) and a luck boost. If the rank was lower I could see the penalty making sense, but by the time someone has B in bows they probably enough skill that 120 hitrate is excessive and want more MT. And luck isn't very good in this game anyway.

Niles' Bow seems useless. Def/Res penalty, only 4 MT (weaker than bronze), can't double, and -10 avoid, and requires C rank. The only upside to it is that it can't KO except at 1HP making it good for weakening a unit so someone else can get the kill, but the MT is so low it's ineffective at doing that - by the time the bow would drop someone to 1HP but not kill, the weaker unit that needs the kill could probably already do the job.

Speed Thunder (which I have plenty of) seems outright suicidal. It's a notch stronger than Fimbulvetr at the same rank, but instead of having a small speed penalty it gives every nearby enemy an even bigger speed boost. Which is dangerous since enemies in this game tend to move in packs. Seems like that would rarely be a better option than just using Fimbulvetr in the first place.

Iago's Tome is has low MT for it's B rank, and trades mag/skl -2 on you for def/res -4 on an opponent. It's like a worse Silver Dagger, for those situations where you really need your caster to pull a stat reduction on a foe?

Beruka's Axe seems a bit better balanced. Great MT and crit + bonus crit damage, but makes you more vulnerable to crits and has a speed penalty. And the stripping weapons are all good E-rank options since they have better MT than bronze without the crit/skill penalties, and a speed bonus on top of that.

Of course, WEXP could be a factor on some of these, but when you are talking B rank weapons it doesn't matter much.

Well I finally beat Rev. I'm definitely burned out on the game... :/ I let Takumi and Siegbert die to the final boss because I couldn't be bothered to reset, knowing that I can't save after anyway. I usually don't do that, but I know that I'll eventually come back to this file as my grind file so I don't really mind all that much.

My overall opinion is that Revelation is easily the worst of the three, with Conquest being my favourite by far. The novelty of the characters interacting with each other in Revelation was quite well done, but the map design was sub par far too often and the story was just kind of bad. I found the story of Birthright serviceable and Conquest's hilariously nonsensical, but Revelation's story was just kind of boring all the way through.

I think the next Fire Emblem needs to be shorter and laser-focused. Overall I'd say Fates was pretty good, with Conquest being the true highlight. However, the game feels bloated. There's just too many characters and too much content. I know that shouldn't really be a negative, but it is.

That's my scattered thoughts right now as I'm watching the credits.

Ponn

Banned
I finished Conquest first and just finished Birthright last night. I actually really like this format because instead of waiting a couple or more years for a new Fire Emblem we get a couple relatively different stories with different characters to play on an engine that was more than likely going to be used anyways for a new iteration.

I am starting to get burned out, I had to play Birthright in shorter spurts and I still found myself grinding dragging it out when I didn't need to. My original plan was to take a break and revisit Revelations later like that desert you save but I have a bad habit of not returning to games after I put them down and I don't want that to happen here. I also don't want to get sick and tired of the game from overdoing it either.

Revelation 24.

Yeah yeah we get it game trust is bad/trust is good/trust is bad/trust is good, but I figured if I made the wrong decision I would at least be able to fight my way out of it, since one of the takeaways from trusttrusttrusttrust is "Corrin should trust people, and rely on her friends to save her when she's wrong." Nope: making the wrong choice immediately knocks everyone down to 1HP, hope you brought lots of healers/pots and can heal everyone who could be attacked, because otherwise there goes an hour of your life!

Sigh.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
30 hours into the game and I've only gotten to Conquest 14. I'm taking my sweet time with the game but I'm enjoying this challenge. I've only lost 1 unit so far. Last FE I played was 15 years ago and I cheated by using save states on an emulator so cut me some slack peeps.

Top Bottom