• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

I need some advice guys. (Noob alert)

I'm up to Birthright Chapter 16 on Hard/Classic. The game has been enjoyable but damn if it doesn't have its frustrating moments. I almost beat chapter 16 but then died due to a stupid mistake - which is totally fine but I can't be bothered to do the map all over again (it's not even the first time this happened mind you)

I then switched to normal to check whether it resolves the frustration/tediousness but holy shit does the game get braindead.

And now I'm conflicted. I struggle on hard but normal is way too easy, the schism between these two modes is huge. What to do? Get therapy?

Neoweee

I'm up to Birthright Chapter 16 on Hard/Classic. The game has been enjoyable but damn if it doesn't have its frustrating moments. I almost beat chapter 16 but then died due to a stupid mistake - which is totally fine but I can't be bothered to do the map all over again (it's not even the first time this happened mind you)

I then switched to normal to check whether it resolves the frustration/tediousness but holy shit does the game get braindead.

And now I'm conflicted. I struggle on hard but normal is way too easy, the schism between these two modes is huge. What to do? Get therapy?

Switching down is easier than playing the lower difficulty from the start, due to the slingshot effect. Each map has more enemies on Hard, so you'll inherently end up a much higher level from story missions alone, and you're more likely to have done additional grinding.

Switching down is easier than playing the lower difficulty from the start, due to the slingshot effect. Each map has more enemies on Hard, so you'll inherently end up a much higher level from story missions alone, and you're more likely to have done additional grinding.

This....actually explains a lot. So it'll probably even out if I stick to normal?

NeonZ

If you're planning to lower the difficulty, why don't you switch to Hard/Casual? The enemies will still be the same, but you won't need to worry about resetting. I think it hurts the strategic component, but if you aren't having fun like that there's no reason to stick with it.

Before playing the Nohr route, I completely forgot that "dastard" is a word in Fire Emblem. I don't believe they said it even once throughout all of Birthright lol.

Hayato and Nyx make the most sense in my head just cause of Rhajat.

Mozu honestly doesn't seem that young as everyone thinks. Plus she has pretty sweet supports with Saizo and Hinata.

Elise on the other hand is literally a child. I can't find myself justifying marrying her to any of my units.

I ended up pairing her with benny in conquest because there were literally no one else left.

Ignatius was born immediately after they S ranked.

He sucked ass too.

Gartooth

I have been playing Birthright on and off since launch, and am at the 23rd or so chapter. I really need to vent since I want to finish this game and do the other routes, but the difficulty has been pissing me off so much.

Holy shit I can't describe how stupid the difficulty got and threw out the semblance of balance there was. I was playing on Hard Classic and having a lot of fun, even though I did do grinding and a lot of soft resets. The game just jumped to Ryoma Emblem for me and I absolutely hate it. I got all the children available except for Jakob who I wasn't able to pair up. However the last four are an absolute nightmare (kids for Ryoma, Takumi, Kaden, Azama) because I didn't get them soon enough and have to deal with every enemy being able to solo 90% of my units.

I don't like to complain, but this is pretty much punishing me for not getting them earlier. I was getting sick of paralogues so I did the main missions which I now regret. I can't get to Shiro without him dying in one turn, and also found out that children can't be recruited if they die before being talked to even on Casual. My best bet at this point is to have a flyer take a healer who can rescue Shiro, have Ryoma talk to him, and then let those units (sans Ryoma) die. lol I'm so ready to be done with Birthright and play the others on Normal since this experience burned me out so bad on having fun in Hard. At this point I think I am going to accept defeat and just Normal Casual the rest of the game... :(

Conquest 19

Fuck this chapter! I don't know what's worse: The kitsune's BS illusion, or them having the pass skill. Everytime I get near the end (or in one case the last bloody enemy), someone dies because of the illusion, the pass skill or both. Doesn't help that the RNG wants to fuck me over.

PBalfredo

I think I'm going to pair Hana with Azama solely because it's the only support thus far where Azama gets his well-deserved comeuppance, that asshole.

PK Gaming

+Mag Corrin is absolutely ridiculous, ahahaha

WVW69jFH6ds03l8VWQ

That's 25 magic with Tonics + Felicia.

Revelation is done, so that's all three paths complete!

I honestly was not expecting to lose more units in the Revelation and Birthright endgames than the Conquest endgame (Ryoma/Orochi in Birthright, Xander/Kagero in Revelation, NO ONE in Conquest). And I didn't even have to restart the Conquest endgame at all. Never mind, realized I did restart the pre-endgame chapter once or twice. It just didn't feel like it because that chapter goes by so quickly.

GSR

+Mag Corrin is absolutely ridiculous, ahahaha

WVW69jFH6ds03l8VWQ

That's 25 magic with Tonics + Felicia.

Just wait until you get the Dragonstone+ and become a wall on top of that. (Granted if you tank too long with the D+ Corrin's attack eventually turns into a limp noodle, but nothing wrong with having another tank on hand...)

PK Gaming

No double no buy :p

No need to double when you're literally one shotting mooks/most bosses. I'm sure i'll switch over to Levin Sword later on, but Dragonstone does sooo much work in the early/midgame. Constant +6 defense, magic nuke and neutrality to everything is just too clutch.

Just wait until you get the Dragonstone+ and become a wall on top of that. (Granted if you tank too long with the D+ Corrin's attack eventually turns into a limp noodle, but nothing wrong with having another tank on hand...)

My body is so, so, so ready for it.

Vena

I wonder if I should show off Nohr Lunatic Chapter 10 full map clear or not... is that something to brag about or is boring everyday stuff? :p

It took ~two~ days to puzzle out.

tauroxd

I like to marry Mozu to Ryoma. I mean, she lost everything. At least it lets her be royalty now. Then, when Ryoma eventually dies long before her, she can reign as Queen. Not a bad deal.

Ha! When you say it like that... But it seems weird in the "present" to pair her with Ryoma...

Just started Nohr after finishing birthright and I feel like an asshole:(

But family yo.

I honestly felt like an asshole more in Birthright to be honest.

Exactly, Hoshido is your family! I played Birthright first, currently on chapter 22 in Conquest and oh, boy, do I feel like and absolute asshole for siding with Nohr... Like really. it makes no sense why Corrin would choose Nohr after all you see and learn abut Nohr,..

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Hinoka the broest of bros.

I am kind of shocked how much I like Hinoka.

From her tomboy personality to her loving affection to her siblings to her treating her retainers as equals, she is so damn likable. Not to mention, every time she mans the kitchen I just spend time seeing her make stuff because she is such a terrible cook, which leads do amazing party reactions. It never ever gets old.

Azuran

Banned
I am kind of shocked how much I like Hinoka.

From her tomboy personality to her loving affection to her siblings to her treating her retainers as equals, she is so damn likable. Not to mention, every time she mans the kitchen I just spend time seeing her make stuff because she is such a terrible cook, which leads do amazing party reactions. It never ever gets old.

You forgot to mention her great voice! She's truly the perfect girl.

Stay losing Camilla stans.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly I still don't understand how this dumb skill/promoting system works. Being a noob I used master seals on a level 10 avatar and Effie and for some reason I should have waited until level 20. I get that it is so have better stats in the long term but then why am I reading that it is a good idea to switch classes at level 15 to then gain a new skill for the next 4 levels? There are YouTube videos and guides online but all of them confusing as shit. 😯

Moonlight

Banned
Everyone is fighting for second place when Oboro is so clearly the best, tbh.

Honestly I still don't understand how this dumb skill/promoting system works. Being a noob I used master seals on a level 10 avatar and Effie and for some reason I should have waited until level 20. I get that it is so have better stats in the long term but then why am I reading that it is a good idea to switch classes at level 15 to then gain a new skill for the next 4 levels? There are YouTube videos and guides online but all of them confusing as shit. ��
To break this down:

- Classes in the game are divided into starting classes, and promoted classes. Excluding special classes like the Dancer, each class can only gain 20 levels at maximum at a time. Experience gained is constant and unable to be reset unless you use a Master Seal, which you may only use once per character.
- Including promoted classes, that means a character's maximum limit for levels (excluding the Eternal Seal, which extends your promoted level cap) is 40, or 20/20.
- That means a maximum of 40 opportunities to boost your stats through levels.
- You normally gain 4 skills starting from level 1 of a given class to level 15 of a promoted class. The milestones are 1 and 10 for your starting class, and 5 (or 'combining' the total levels of a character, 25) and 15 (or 35).
- Once you hit level 15 in your promotion (or level 35 in accumulated character levels), there's no longer any advantage to staying in that class in terms of skill progression as the class has no more skills to offer you.
- You're not locked out of acquiring skills, however. If you class change via the Heart/Friendship/Partner Seal, and do a 'sideways' promotion, you'll gain a new skill from the class you changed to per level. If your character acquired every possible skill from the Swordmaster class, then moved laterally into the Master Ninja class, at level 16, they would gain the level 1 Ninja skill. At level 17, they would gain the level 10 Ninja skill. Then at level 18, the level 5 Master Ninja skill, etc.
- If you class change to a class that your character could have originally promoted to via a Master Seal, but opted not to, and therefore those two classes share the same level 1 and level 10 'basic' skills, at level 16 you would skip all of those and immediately obtain skill that class would have obtained at promoted level 5.
- You still, ultimately, want to end in the class that a character is best in. If you wanted to class change a Berserker into a Sniper exclusively to gain access to Certain Hit, for example, which patches up their naturally lower hit-rates, you would still want to move them back into their 'best' class once you're done getting skills you care about.

This is all ignoring how differences in classes affect how likely it is for characters to gain a certain kind of stat per level and stat caps and whatnot. That's not something you really need to worry about though.

If this is still confusing, lemme know!

Idly, I imagine the most 'efficient' way for skill acquisition is probably to use every 'empty' level to acquire skills through frequent lateral class changes, but that's expensive and I imagine sort of unnecessary given the existence of skill shops.

Xenoflare

Idly, I imagine the most 'efficient' way for skill acquisition is probably to use every 'empty' level to acquire skills through frequent lateral class changes, but that's expensive and I imagine sort of unnecessary given the existence of skill shops.

True, I just scavenge castles that gives me the skill that I want which is can be normally obtained. Like Rend Heaven to Oboro for example. Or Luna for Silas/Xander

Not a huge fan of buying breaking skills, like amplitude on every one or have a character that has all of the rally skills

Balphon

Exactly, Hoshido is your family! I played Birthright first, currently on chapter 22 in Conquest and oh, boy, do I feel like and absolute asshole for siding with Nohr... Like really. it makes no sense why Corrin would choose Nohr after all you see and learn abut Nohr,..

Hoshido has Takumi.

You really don't need another reason to side with Nohr.

Shinypogs

11 chapters into Birthright my list of paralogues is slowly building. Outside of shigure all the kids are getting picked up after I reach offspring seal time. I am also playing on classic/hard so based on the post earlier in the thread I look forward to much swearing and potential regret for waiting. Easy to come by money or not in this version I do not want to be buying that many master seals though.

Nohr family still best family but I've come to adore Hinoka. She can marry into the Nohr fold when I do my revelations playthrough.

~
Has anyone here promoted a ninja to a mechanist? I'm thinking I might do that for kaze while making Saizo a master ninja for variety. Are they a fun class while still being useful?

PK Gaming

Has anyone here promoted a ninja to a mechanist? I'm thinking I might do that for kaze while making Saizo a master ninja for variety. Are they a fun class while still being useful?

Pretty fun, yeah. They're more powerful, have more movement and have access to the Replicate ability, which lets the user make a clone of themselves. Said clone is completely identical, and can attack/guard stance support, use items, etc. The downside is that it shares its HP with the original and the clone itself can't build support points. One of my favorite classes, i'd recommend it in a heartbeat.

Corrin only feels like an asshole in Conquest because they're a complete moron, just wait until you play Revelations to add onto the fact.

Well with regards to Hoshido being your family...... they may be the family you were born into,
but you're not related to Ryoma and them at all, Mikoto's only child is Corrin, (s)he is considered to be an adoptive child on both Hoshido and Nohr no matter what, making the whole "side with your birthright" a lot less meaningful. Ryoma even knows the fact that Corrin's not their true sibling, so meaning that he's just a big steaming liar, because if Corrin knew that they weren't blood related from the start, then his whole "you abandoned your true family" wouldn't work so well
at least with Xander and Nohr they were the ones that raised you and you know them well.

Plus it's not like Hoshido gets any slack for being "the good/smart kingdom" they
still kidnapped Azura, Kaden's refusal to listen when someone walks into their territory unlike Keaton, has Takumi, mercilessly kill almost everyone in this path compared to Conquest where almost everyone was spared, refusal to believe that any part of Nohr can be considered safe or good
, to name a few. They do have Izana, Fuga, Reina and Setsuna, so that's something.

Why choose Nohr, Nohr has Keaton, best husbando?

Small_portrait_keaton_fe14.png

Hoshido has Takumi.

You really don't need another reason to side with Nohr.

This too

tauroxd

Corrin only feels like an asshole in Conquest because they're a complete moron, just wait until you play Revelations to add onto the fact.

Well with regards to Hoshido being your family...... they may be the family you were born into,
but you're not related to Ryoma and them at all, Mikoto's only child is Corrin, (s)he is considered to be an adoptive child on both Hoshido and Nohr no matter what, making the whole "side with your birthright" a lot less meaningful. Ryoma even knows the fact that Corrin's not their true sibling, so meaning that he's just a big steaming liar, because if Corrin knew that they weren't blood related from the start, then his whole "you abandoned your true family" wouldn't work so well
at least with Xander and Nohr they were the ones that raised you and you know them well.

Plus it's not like Hoshido gets any slack for being "the good/smart kingdom" they
still kidnapped Azura, Kaden's refusal to listen when someone walks into their territory unlike Keaton, has Takumi, mercilessly kill almost everyone in this path compared to Conquest where almost everyone was spared, refusal to believe that any part of Nohr can be considered safe or good
, to name a few. They do have Izana, Fuga, Reina and Setsuna, so that's something.

Why choose Nohr, Nohr has Keaton, best husbando?

Small_portrait_keaton_fe14.png

This too

Your second spoiler, well, yeah, it's true... And Kaden's thing seemed to me really fucked up.

Anbec7

Idk when to use the children units, playing birthright many of my units are already on their master seal stats.
Also when is a good time to use the special seals that you get on the DLC?

Izana isn't Hoshido.

Oh yeah..... he's neutral and you get him
in Birthright and Conquest
, I forgot about that since
I never upgraded my bath house for him to join

Fuga also shouldn't count since
you only get to recruit him in Revelations

PK Gaming

oR7XsCC.png

Finished Revelation Hard/classic first time with an entertainingly embarassing number of casualties, just to punch through and see how things end. I did have many major players in classes they were not best at just for variety/skills so it will go a lot smoother when I do an actually planned end-run and people are at their best.

I like Revelation largely due to the commingling of Nohr and Hoshido favorite characters and how it reveals that major spoiler
your avatar and indeed mother are actually of Vallite extraction, I read this spoiler before but having it explicitly stated in game "solidifies" it
. Gameplay-wise and general character-wise I prefer Conquest, although I like the generally less crazy "waifus" of Hoshido...so Revelations helps there without needing to revisit Birthright.

Looking forward to redoing the Revelation finish with more dignity and carrying over some potent characters that I let go just to see the finish. Then back to Conquest.

JulianImp

It always felt like Corrin sided with Nohr in the Conquest branch to try and change things from within, only he kept getting bossed around by Garon and sent in suicide missions while he and his siblings kept trying to find a way to redeem their father, who's basically little more than a Saturday morning cartoon villain at best...

Still haven't finished Conquest side (since I restarted Birthright on Hard to get the easier and more linear arc out of the way), but it's certainly been really underwhelming on the story department so far.

Dont read
You are not blood related to anyone in Hoshido. No, I'm not confusing Hoshido with Nohr.

Moreover
Ryoma is actively aware that he shares no blood relation with you but still lies and holds it over your head at the beginning of the game to have you join him.

Anteo

Moreover
Ryoma is actively aware that he shares no blood relation with you but still lies and holds it over your head at the beginning of the game to have you join him.

Yep, that bit made me glad I sided with Nohr.
Basically Ryoma makes Corrin betray Norh and kill one of his sibilings that actually knew him and loved him (and got another killed in the process). All this so Corrin joins a bunch of people he has no relation with other than some of his early years he doesnt remember anyways.

Top Bottom