• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Thank you SO MUCH for the explanation, sucks that I effed two characters but at least I didn't make the same mistake too many times. I did switch Mozu to an archer before she hit level 10 as a villager though because she was unusable, hopefully this won't be as bad as promoting.

Mikoto is not from Hoshido, she's a refugee from Valla and Corrin's father being Anankos

I thought Corrin was Vallite / Hoshido? I guess him being Anankos' son allows the dragon transformation to make sense. Did they ever explicitly say this, cause I dont remember this from Revelation.

Draxal

I thought Corrin was Vallite / Hoshido? I guess him being Anankos' son allows the dragon transformation to make sense. Did they ever explicitly say this, cause I dont remember this from Revelation.

It's implied, but its spelt out in the dlc.

tauroxd

oR7XsCC.png

But Mikoto is your Mom and she is from Hoshido!!!!! It seems I need to finish Conquest and Revelation to see the whole thing explained.

By the time you need to make your choice, she is dead.

Because of Nohr, so fuck Nohr :D

By the way, I'm enjoying Conquest (when it comes to gameplay) more than Birthright, and I loved Birthright, but seriously, fuck Nohr.

But Mikoto is your Mom and she is from Hoshido!!!!! It seems I need to finish Conquest and Revelation to see the whole thing explained.

You won't get an explanation in either of those 2 routes, it's in Revelation

Because of Nohr, so fuck Nohr :D

By the way, I'm enjoying Conquest (when it comes to gameplay) more than Birthright, and I loved Birthright, but seriously, fuck Nohr.

Revelation Spoilers
But it was Sumeragi (former King of of Hoshido) that kills her

PK Gaming

Yeah, but she's also a stranger. Don't get me wrong, choosing Hoshido is the smarter (and safer) choice, but if it were up to me i'd choose Nohr every single time.

Can't abandon the family I grew up with. It's impossible.

Neol

Honestly the Nohr side could be more justified but the fact that Corrin still seems to want gratification and acceptance from Garon is just frustrating.
EVEN THOUGH YOU KNOW FULLY WELL THAT HE SET YOU UP TO KILL MIKOTO

NeonZ

Honestly the Nohr side could be more justified but the fact that Corrin still seems to want gratification and acceptance from Garon is just frustrating.
EVEN THOUGH YOU KNOW FULLY WELL THAT HE SET YOU UP TO KILL MIKOTO

That whole plotline is kind of mishandled. In Conquest,
Corrin asks if he was behind it, but then Garon denies. It's not that odd - that plan only was possible due to Valla troops, not Nohr ones.

However, when the Valla troops reappear later and Corrin faces them, he says nothing at all about their previous encounter. In fact, this seems to happen in all routes. No one seems to remember that they had already fought against those mysterious invisible soldiers in the Hoshido capital when they appear later in the main story or paralogues. Revelation even has Ryoma actively questioning their existence.

Shinypogs

I have a question about the bonuses you get from having multiple paths. Can you use them once in total, once per conquest/birthright/rev, or once per any save? I want to try the classes that come from having path bonuses but if I can only use them once I want to save them for my rev playthrough.

The chapters before the version split do Hoshido no favours in making you want to side with them to be honest. Your Nohr family and friends come on pretty strong in the helpful and loving department. Having actually played all of Conquest first Birthright is killing me because I know the degrees to which my Nohr siblings will go to to help me despite the trouble and danger it may put them in.
The amount of times they willingly crossed Garon and offered to die to protect me from his wrath/ begged for my forgiveness from him means so much. On the birthright side Hinoka's whole becoming a sky knight because she wanted to rescue me so bad that is some god damned effort and caring. Hinoka stays best Hoshido sibling.

Although currently my gripe with Birthright is that Kaden whom I just picked up is complete garbage compared to Keaton. I don't understand why they give you another dodge based hero when you already have two ninjas and multiple sky knights all of whom are fast fucks who avoid attacks on the regular. Is it just that I'm playing on hard? If I want to make Kaden actually useful ( and potentially make his kid useful) who do I pair him with?

edit: I have a question related to children inheriting skills. Do they get the last skill each parent has when their paralogue first shows up or the last skill each parent has when you actually go do the paralogue?

Claris

I have a question about the bonuses you get from having multiple paths. Can you use them once in total, once per conquest/birthright/rev, or once per any save? I want to try the classes that come from having path bonuses but if I can only use them once I want to save them for my rev playthrough.
Once per save file, feel free to use them.

Although currently my gripe with Birthright is that Kaden whom I just picked up is complete garbage compared to Keaton. I don't understand why they give you another dodge based hero when you already have two ninjas and multiple sky knights all of whom are fast fucks who avoid attacks on the regular. Is it just that I'm playing on hard? If I want to make Kaden actually useful ( and potentially make his kid useful) who do I pair him with?

I personally paired him with Hinoka on Hard and she was an awesome pairing for him. His daughter Selkie was a total monster too, with a sky high Res stat and an abundance of speed. The only real problems with the pairing are that other kids would like Hinoka as well and Hinoka!Selkie pretty blatantly outclasses Kaden. I eventually stopped using him in favour of his daughter and just paired her up with mum in the same way I used Kaden. Both Kitsune will eventually become extremely dodgy. At least one of them is well worth using, though I will say that Keaton was very much superior on Revelation when you have access to both.

I have a question related to children inheriting skills. Do they get the last skill each parent has when their paralogue first shows up or the last skill each parent has when you actually go do the paralogue?

Last skill when they actually show up as a unit. Some kids show up as units within the paralogues in which case it's the last skill when you start the paralogue, while others aren't recruited until the paralogue is over, in which case they'll get the skills after. This small distinction becomes important if their parents learn any skills within the paralogue.

dantehemi

About 3 hours into this game and I'm liking it so far, I really loved awakening and plan to put some serious time into this..one thing I hate about these games is that I know I will only play them once and I want the best experience, but it seems with this game a lot of choices can be made that may affect this or that. With awakenings I made sure to pair and marry the right people to get the best children and dialogue the game can give me and I kinda want to do the same with this. So my question is...what are the main things I "must" do and who makes the best pairings and is it better to pair or to fight as individuals.. Who make the best children etc...I really love these games but it turns me off knowing that I can be doing things differently..it's a weird obsession I get with games in general and it would make me stop playing..thanks in advance for any tips or advice

Idk when to use the children units, playing birthright many of my units are already on their master seal stats.
Also when is a good time to use the special seals that you get on the DLC?

Use the child units whenever you recruit them. You probably won't use all of them because some of them are bad units. The special seals that you get can be used whenever. I suggest using them early on for certain characters(like Mozu).

About 3 hours into this game and I'm liking it so far, I really loved awakening and plan to put some serious time into this..one thing I hate about these games is that I know I will only play them once and I want the best experience, but it seems with this game a lot of choices can be made that may affect this or that. With awakenings I made sure to pair and marry the right people to get the best children and dialogue the game can give me and I kinda want to do the same with this. So my question is...what are the main things I "must" do and who makes the best pairings and is it better to pair or to fight as individuals.. Who make the best children etc...I really love these games but it turns me off knowing that I can be doing things differently..it's a weird obsession I get with games in general and it would make me stop playing..thanks in advance for any tips or advice
What version are you on? I can't give you optimal pairings until I know the route you're playing. It's better to pair up rather than fighting as individuals.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, I just had the first kid and now the game is asking me to pick a character. But somehow I can only choose characters who have an A rank relationship somehow (in my case Mozu and Effie)? Is this because Azura can't pass her class to her children? Who should I pick? Mozu is an archer and Effie is a Great Knight. Are skills inherited as well or just classes available?

dantehemi

Use the child units whenever you recruit them. You probably won't use all of them because some of them are bad units. The special seals that you get can be used whenever. I suggest using them early on for certain characters(like Mozu).

What version are you on? I can't give you optimal pairings until I know the route you're playing. It's better to pair up rather than fighting as individuals.

I'm playing birthright..sorry about that, forgot there was another one.

NeonZ

Guys, I just had the first kid and now the game is asking me to pick a character. But somehow I can only choose characters who have an A rank relationship somehow (in my case Mozu and Effie)? Is this because Azura can't pass her class to her children? Who should I pick? Mozu is an archer and Effie is a Great Knight. Are skills inherited as well or just classes available?

I'm not sure what you're talking about... Azura doesn't pass her main class, but she passes her secondary one (Sky Knight). When did this prompt appear?

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure what you're talking about... Azura doesn't pass her main class, but she passes her secondary one (Sky Knight). When did this prompt appear?

Right after the baby cutscene. I click one of them and I get this:

WVW69jFVwk4a6czCJr

Should I go for it?

Right after the baby cutscene. I click one of them and I get this:

WVW69jFVwk4a6czCJr

Should I go for it?

That is a best friend support. It lets the unit you select it on use a friendship seal to get the A+ support's primary class. There is no scene for it, so do what you want.

I should clarify this has nothing to do with children. You'll notice some characters can A+ others (same gender) while they can S rank opposite gender characters (minus Niles and Rhajat, who can always S rank Corrin). Just a seperate support that lets you customize characters a bit more.

Shinypogs

I have reached a point in my life where I am betting cabbages on fights so I can get a pink beret for my husband to be. This was not what I started playing these games for but fuck if it isn't fun.

Azuran

Banned
I have reached a point in my life where I am betting cabbages on fights so I can get a pink beret for my husband to be. This was not what I started playing these games for but fuck if it isn't fun.

You're playing the game wrong if you don't do any of that stuff tbh

I was going to ask if it would be faster/more reliable to just farm a bunch of castles, but I guess you'd have to first find a bunch of castles that had level 3 cabbage fields.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
That is a best friend support. It lets the unit you select it on use a friendship seal to get the A+ support's primary class. There is no scene for it, so do what you want.

I should clarify this has nothing to do with children. You'll notice some characters can A+ others (same gender) while they can S rank opposite gender characters (minus Niles and Rhajat, who can always S rank Corrin). Just a seperate support that lets you customize characters a bit more.

Got it. Thanks!

The future is a weird place.

Azuran

Banned
Conquest Wind Tribe chapter on Hard Classic.

Holy FUCK I want to break something right now.

BEST CHAPTER IN THE GAME

I loved everything about it. Learn the wind patterns and you can do some amazing stuff in it. There's nothing more satisfying than assaulting an enemy group from behind.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Conquest Wind Tribe chapter on Hard Classic.

Holy FUCK I want to break something right now.

It's annoying, but not near as bad as the Kitsune chapter once you figure out how to use the wind to your advantage.

This is not a game to try to play while tired. I messed up on the first two turns of chapter 25 like four times because I'd overlook a tiny thing like whether or not an out of range enemy would be able to double me, or do something dumb like pair up two characters before fully checking their range and assuming they would reach.

That left side is rough though. Those really fast assholes that double almost my whole team first, then all those archers with 3 range bows and lunge. Thought about just not taking that side at all, but that exp. That chest. I neeeeed it.

chumby

Neo Member
I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but I'm curious to know what the consensus is. Is Fates better than Awakening?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but I'm curious to know what the consensus is. Is Fates better than Awakening?

I think Conquest is a dramatically better designed game than Awakening, leagues better, but it does lean a little hard on map gimmicks. Particularly the second half of the game, it seems like every map has some sort of gimmick. Many aren't overly intrusive, but there are situations where it feels like you are playing to the map gimmick as much or more than you are fighting the enemy (chapter 20 or 24). Or the gimmick is outright stupid (chapter 19). I've also had abhorrent luck with the RNG, but I seem to be in the minority so I can't really blame that on Fates.

Wait, people found the Kitsune chapter in Conquest difficult?

I just let Keaton out paired with Fem Corrin (
best ship
) and they just tore through everything

Edit:

Yep

yami4ct

Birthright feels like an evolution of Awakening. Some of the same problems exist, but it's a marked improvement.

Conquest is night and day. Story is garbage, but the game itself is so many leagues ahead that it's kind of unfair.

I haven't played Revelation yet.

CazTGG

Having nearly finished Revelation, I feel i've finally pinned down my big problem with Fates' plot, aside from the contrivances that plague each of the three paths (Conquest in particular): The focal point of the game isn't on the war and how Corrin plays a bit part in the events that take place, but more about making Corrin into a special snowflake whose mere presence can alter the fabric of reality with their every whim. They certainly aren't a Mary Sue like Micaiah was in Radiant Dawn, but they are the only person who seems to be capable of doing something besides spout exposition and kill people
like how they were the only person with half a brain to try and open up a diplomatic channel between the two kingdoms in Revelation
. Much like how
the crystal in Conquest that reveals Garon's true form only creates more problems than it resolves since Corrin and everyone else is in agreement that King Ganondorf is evil and she sould have waited half a day more to reveal this to every one of their allies and Corrin's siblings to unite for a better cause
or
the Rainbow Sage in Birthright and the need to travel to them in order to be a match for Xander (even though I was able to beat him without any outside help despite the previous cutscenes making it seem more challenging than before, ludo bone marrow or whatever)
is completely contrived, to say nothing of
everyone rallying around the naive person who tells people to literally jump off a bridge in Revelation
, Corrin being the end-all solution or stumbling upon it whenever it's convenient for the writers to keep everything moving forward just takes away any of the drama or conflict the war should present, makes it feel more small and less important than it should be.

Admittedly, it's been a while since I played through Path of Radiance in its entirety, but I recall the war in that game carrying a lot of tension, mostly because Ike wasn't treated as the greatest person in the series like he was in Radiant Dawn and, to a lesser extent, Awakening, he was just a guy whose father happened to run a mercenary company (with said father later revealed to be the greatest swordsman who ever lived) of the greatest swordsman and the events that drove that game i.e. save his homeland from a tyrannical king, restore the monarchy and get revenge on his father's killer, played out in such a way that made each of them seem meaningful to both the player and the main character. In fact, there were many times where Ike doubted himself as being the best leader for the Greil Mercenaries or the forces liberating Crimea, with the other characters supporting his uncertainty when they go their separate ways due to their lack of faith in Ike in a role commanding any sort of authority. That was what made the character so great: Ike felt like a real person with the world of Tellius who not only acknowledged his own weaknesses, but aspired to be a better person, both to eventually beat the man who murdered his father and, ultimately, become someone worthy of leading the Greil Mercenaries. But even in the case of Ike, the game still treated him as just that: A person.

When playing through the other entries, you get the feeling that these characters, the lead(s) for each game, are just small parts of a much more grand and complex world, chess pieces on a board who could easily be toppled over if the wrong move is pulled. Heck, Rekka no Ken ends with Athos dying while foreseeing dark times for his friends, making it seem like everything the leading trio fought for may have all been for naught. While people such as Eliwood and Marth were of royal heritage or were born into a status of privilege, previous entries in the series like Sacred Stones didn't spend half of its dialogue talking about how amazing Eirika and Ephraim they are just because they were the heirs to Renais' vacant throne, it focused on the conflict with Grado as it successfully destroyed the Sacred Stones and telling the story of two twins trying to prevent their home from becoming an utter ruin and any harm coming to one another
and depending on the route you picked, trying to save Lyon or killing him because the Demon King is wearing his skin like a mask
. There may have been the rare line where they exclaim their confidence on one another's abilities when separated but even then, it's clear that said dialogue is spoken out of concern for their sibling's well-being rather than it is to remind the player of how amazing the two of them are.

Even Awakening, much as it's criticized for its overuse of cliches for plot events and characters, there was the occasional moment where the party was thrown off-guard (Chapter 9) or put in an unfavorable position (Chapter 17). No such moment exists in Fates: Events that slow down the war do happen, but they're treated more as deviations or, at best, minor inconveniences, than they are an obstacle, which may also stem from the weak writing for the villains that fails to make any of them feel like they are a threat. Aside from Garon and Iago, whose memorable qualities are how utterly dedicated they are to being the absolute worst villain in series history, not a single foe really sticks out as cunning or particularly dangerous. They all just blend together and feel interchangeable, which can be said for a lot of what happens in Fates. I could go into every entry but I think you get the point by now: Fates utterly fails to make its lead worthy of being the heart of the game instead of where the story should be focused on.

Not to say that there isn't anything praiseworthy in stopping a war on as grand a scale as this by uniting both sides to fight an "invisible kingdom" and stopping your father from killing anyone else in Hoshido, Nohr, etc., not to mention the unique accomplishments throughout each path, but much like how Conquest's plot conveniences only make the events seem even more ridiculous as they continue to occur, the game constantly mentioning how important and special Corrin is without their actions properly reflecting any of the prestige they've garnered, mostly due to a lot of contrived moments to keep the plot going that don't in any way rely on Corrin's unique skills.

chumby

Neo Member
That's great to hear! Working on finishing Awakening right now. What can I expect to see improved in Fates? Awakening is really fun so far... :)

yami4ct

That's great to hear! Working on finishing Awakening right now. What can I expect to see improved in Fates? Awakening is really fun so far... :)

Map Design, unit reinforcement design and class balance feel way better in both Birthright and Conquest to me than they did in Awakening. Corrin can be still turned into a beast, but she's not as broken as Robin. There is no class as busted as Dark Flyer in Awakening. The map design in Birthright isn't near as good as Conquest, but it's still better than Birthright's on the whole bland maps.

I liked Birthright's story better than Awakening, but it's not anything amazing and YMMV. Conquest is really dumb plot wise, but it's easy to ignore because the game is so good.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, people found the Kitsune chapter in Conquest difficult?

I just let Keaton out paired with Fem Corrin (
best ship
) and they just tore through everything

Edit:

Yep

I hadn't used Keaton so he would have just died if I threw him out there. And most of my units were mounted, so many of the enemies did a shit load of damage to nearly everyone, if not 1HKO. That would make for a challenging chapter, but then you have that absolutely stupid illusion mechanic.

Azuran

Banned
I hadn't used Keaton so he would have just died if I threw him out there. And most of my units were mounted, so many of the enemies did a shit load of damage to nearly everyone, if not 1HKO. That would make for a challenging chapter, but then you have that absolutely stupid illusion mechanic.

I had it rougher. I was using pretty much every axe and mounted user in Conquest and half of them couldn't hit anything at all. That chapter was complete torture for me.

Top Bottom