• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Shinypogs

Who the fuck thought birthright 19 deserved to be a chapter? That was pissing easy and the gimmick was terrible. Anyone who can read can breeze through it.

PK Gaming

Finally finished Chapter 20. Call me an air bender because I mastered the shit out of that gimmick.

Just beat Ch.20 Conquest tonight, what a great feeling!

I have no IDEA how you people are able to beat maps like that on Classic mode on your first playthrough. I made it like 15 turns save scumming before I lost a unit...

Some

latest

And a whole lotta

CfdkFzNUIAArMAA.jpg

+

244be0d6dbea5aa9bbc8c3adb5694178.jpg

Azuran

Banned
My Corrin and Camilla were so bad in my Conquest run. They couldn't take a hit or kill anything to save their lives. Selena, Xander and Effie carried me to victory.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
My Corrin was trash until chapter 15. Her lone good trait was solid strength and accuracy, but she lacked defense and couldn't double anything despite having a speed boon. After 15 it's like she got aptitude. Lots of great levels. Speed practically every time. Doubles everything now (she doubled Ryoma in 25, lol) and has reliable defense and resistance.

The only other character I used that has been outright bad is Jakob. Not only did he get bad levels most of the time, but I reclassed him to Great Knight too late, trapping him with Bronze weapons when I really needed better ones. Silas hasn't been all that good either, but he's managed to stay just good enough for me to not ditch him as a liability.

Busaiku

Yeah, but I wanted to get them all as soon as I had access to them all.
Would've saved me a lot of support grinding, but whatever.

champloo

My Corrin has only 12 speed at 20/6. and he has average def and single digit res. basically everything threatens him to death. It's a pain having to bring him to every battle only to babysit his ass.

Question: if I start a new Lunatic run later from the same Branch of Fates, am I gonna be stuck with a Corrin who is RNG doomed?

Balphon

I'm still trying to figure out how the heck to navigate 21 without my low def people getting obliterated, heh.

Keep two or three units at the bottom to kill the adds down there as they spawn and just slowly clear up. It's not as hard as it looks.

Don't use any of the dragon veins or the adds will stack up to the point they can't be dealt with cleanly.

My Corrin has only 12 speed at 20/6. and he has average def and single digit res. basically everything threatens him to death. It's a pain having to bring him to every battle only to babysit his ass.

Question: if I start a new Lunatic run later from the same Branch of Fates, am I gonna be stuck with a Corrin who is RNG doomed?

Yes, you will be stuck with the same level ups.

PK Gaming

One day I want to try+ Mag -Speed Corrin with Wary fighter and legit just make him a pure dragonstone tank.

Do that, but do go with -Luck instead.

-Speed will drop your base Speed stat and tank your Speed growth. -Luck will tank your Luck growth, but Luck is a dump stat so it doesn't really matter. (Plus, Goddess Stones will ensure that your Luck will be high anyway).

Pair him (or her) up with Felicia/Jakob and you'll literally be indestructible.

NeonZ

Question: Do paralogues get tougher the longer you wait to do them? Or what's the best time to take them on?

They do. I'd wait until chapter 19, since then the children will come with an item that automatically promotes them. If you go in later chapters, the item levels them up automatically too, including weapon levels. Although I guess you can go earlier if you're planning to make them class change from their basic class, since the offspring seals aren't compatible with that - they need to stay in their original class in order to use them.

Playing on hard, all the paralogues available on Conquest were perfectly doable at end-game, but I've heard horror stories about Ryoma's son's paralogue (although I haven't tried it yet), and I needed two fliers for Ignatius' paralogue.

PK Gaming

CfkEwO2UUAAnQT-.jpg

Dusted Chapter 21. The combination of Corrin being able to one shot Stoneborns and also
running as few units as possible
made it a piece of cake.

I love the Dragonstone+. It's so rad.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
They do. I'd wait until chapter 19, since then the children will come with an item that automatically promotes them. If you go in later chapters, the item levels them up automatically too, including weapon levels. Although I guess you can go earlier if you're planning to make them class change from their basic class, since the offspring seals aren't compatible with that - they need to stay in their original class in order to use them.

Playing on hard, all the paralogues available on Conquest were perfectly doable at end-game, but I've heard horror stories about Ryoma's son's paralogue (although I haven't tried it yet), and I needed two fliers for Ignatius' paralogue.

Ryouma's paralogue is very simple if you have a leftover Rescur Stave or two since he starts surrounded. Xander's paralogue took me a whole day to beat on Lunatic because of infinite high level reinforcements. Strongly recommend doing it early.

GSR

Playing Birthright Lunatic, Ryoma's kid's basically required two rescue staffs for the stage I played it at (Ch 23.) That was just to get him out of the instant death zone, after that it was pretty straightforward.

GSR

Everyone recommends Rescue Staffs. I never really needed it and I recruited Shiro after 2 turns. I'm not sure why.

For me it was just that Shiro would get OHKO'd or ORKO'd by the promoted units around him, and I couldn't possibly get people up to take care of all of the enemies boxing him in. Even a single rescue staff would be dodgy at best since that still plops him down in the middle of a pretty large chunk of enemies.

Ultimately just using two staffs was easier.

For me it was just that Shiro would get OHKO'd or ORKO'd by the promoted units around him, and I couldn't possibly get people up to take care of all of the enemies boxing him in. Even a single rescue staff would be dodgy at best since that still plops him down in the middle of a pretty large chunk of enemies.

Ultimately just using two staffs was easier.

His paralogues was one of the last ones I did, so there were lots of promoted units surrounding him. I tried getting to him, but the sand stopped me. I think I got to him successfully by using Ryoma and Xander. Using a rescue staff is definitely easier.

Shinypogs

Hard/classic birthright completed. Endgame done in a single turn becuase I was feeling lazy and since you can't save after there was no point in farming xp.

I still like conquest's story better but this was decent enough. Time to see if revelations is an improvement or worse. If nothing else I looking forward to the most broken team possible by mixing both cast.

Once I complete rev then the real fun begins. All one gender runs, all kids and bond units, maybe even all one class runs though I'd probably do those on normal not hard.

johnsmith

remember me
Finally beat conquest, only route i've beaten. Took a month and a half, wasn't really playing anything else during that time except a bit of darkest dungeon, so yeah, wasn't really into it. Mediocre to bad FE overall I thought.

I'd heard that Conquest was supposed to be more of a classic FE campaign, but it didn't feel like it. Mainly because of the stupid kids necessitating a support grind, which is only doable if you buy the dlc. So instead of a tight game like 7 or 9 it felt more like the grindy 8 or Awakening.

Also felt like almost all my units except for like 3 were rng screwed, everybody had horrible stats, with only a couple of units with any defense at all. Meanwhile enemy mages have 50 hp and 24 defense, which is more than all but a couple of my units. In the past games at least low def units had high speed, but it seems like every enemy unit in this game had way too much skill, so I never got to dodge reliably. My avatar was garbage, so jealous of that screenshot showing a 49 damage dragonstone attack. My attacks were in the teens.

The XP and gold dlc maps were complete garbage, and I only used them to grind supports. XP gains were stingy as hell for how hard the units hit and the fact that it was easy to die if you weren't careful. Half the time on the gold maps I never had any units respawn besides the starting ones.

It's going to be really hard to force myself to play the other 2 routes, and I doubt I ever will. Did not have a good time with this game at all.

hunnies28

Missed a 94% hit. Uuuuuugh an hour and a half gone, now I have to reset cause my character died. One more turn and it would've been over.

Most devastating loss I've had was Selena at the very end of Conquest 23. Hit with what would have been a killing shot but the enemy proc'd miracle then countered with a 1% crit that did just enough to kill me.

-_-

NeonZ

I'd heard that Conquest was supposed to be more of a classic FE campaign, but it didn't feel like it. Mainly because of the stupid kids necessitating a support grind, which is only doable if you buy the dlc. So instead of a tight game like 7 or 9 it felt more like the grindy 8 or Awakening.

You could just have gone for Castles battles - it's much faster than the grinding for supports in those two DLC maps, and you won't add experience and money that shouldn't be there, since the only thing you can get in those battles is support points. But, yes. if you want all children you'll pretty much need to grind. It's considered close to classic FE exactly because even if you want to grind supports in those extra battles you won't get extra money or experience from them, so you need to manage with only the resources you get in the main campaign and paralogues, unless you specifically buy the DLC just for it.

There's also the map design, with more closed areas and choke-points alongside varied objectives - although in the end, I think the varied enemy skills and a few stage gimmicks end up being more relevant for the map design than the multiple objectives, so that part isn't really close to older FE games. Even Radiant Dawn went out of its way to avoid giving the enemy many skills by not giving them the real 3rd tier classes.

Also, you can capture enemy units if you think that they're so much better than your own... although I guess that's only doable if you had been using Niles. My end game team for the final mission had three unique boss characters (Haitaka, Kumagera, Gazack) and one generic.

If you care about a balanced experience you shouldn't be trying to get all the children...

The game is clearly designed for you to focus on a core group and get the kids you can from that group. It's paced and balanced perfectly if you play that way. Such a weird complaint to me, I've never spent time "grinding supports" with 130 hours of Fates.

Wait a minute

If that's true, why is it that you get different level ups when you reset a map?

Resetting for better level ups doesn't work on Lunatic Difficulty. The RNG is set there. Leveling up is different from the Branch of Fates. The Branch of Fates starts you out at the most recent time you completed it, meaning you will be stuck with the same stats as last time. Now, if you're going for the same boon or bane, that's fine.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm on chapter 26 and don't even have anybody the kids. I still don't know that I would say Conquest feels entirely like a classic FE game, since a lot of the maps have substantial gimmicks.

Reset

I killed Benny and Charlotte thinking they would join after the chapter ends, and I ended up saving over my file.
Time to restart...

I'm a completionist, so not getting all the kids will bug me. On Conquest, it's nice exp even if I don't use the kid.

On Revelations, it's not too hard to get the kids.

That is pretty neat. Some of the deliveries for those crit lines feel a bit off once you hear them done together (Peri, and Niles for me. Alone they are fine, together it feels off). Never noticed that though, so its a nice suprise. I do like that Silas and Kaze share one too, since I've always seen them as Corrin's retainers (and really, they basically are).

NeonZ

Scarlet? She dies for story purposes, and I hope to god that IS doesn't make free DLC that brings her back

Every DLC so far is compatible with all routes,
so I don't think you need to worry about that, since it'd need to be Revelation-only. Unless each route got a different character, but IS seems too lazy for that with their DLC.

I might only buy so I can have a thief in a Girls only run without having to reclass Nyx, but Anna was on-cart DLC and fuck supporting that.

Almost all the prizes from Fates' DLC maps have been on cart, only the maps themselves are DLC. I think some of the class change seals and skill scrolls weren't on cart, but in those cases the skills and classes themselves already were on cart, you're still mostly downloading the map. Anna's isn't any different from the others in that sense.

Top Bottom