• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

My favorite dissonance with crits is when Kaze looks so remorseful that he is forced to take a laugh and then his post combat dialogue is him laughing.

"There was no other way... HAHAHAHAHAHA"

Moonlight

Banned
"YOU DESERVE WORSE" is the best crit quote

especially when it activates against the final boss
IMO: "I'm stunning. You're dead!' is easily my favourite. I just think it's a bit of a shame Forrest's other quotes aren't nearly as amazing. And of course, Oboro's 'you are so last season'.

Elise probably has my favourite overall crit quotes/delivery, though. She just sounds so cocky. I love it.

IMO: "I'm stunning. You're dead!' is easily my favourite.

I just heard this today while playing and I'm inclined to agree. I wish Forrest's hair didn't have insane clipping with Sorcerer, because I'd love to keep him there and let him crit to his heart's content with the innate crit bonus. Forrest's hair clips with quite a few classes actually. It's really a shame, especially because he gets Leo's awesome Dark Knight model only for his hair to clip right through the collar.

"YOU DESERVE WORSE" is the best crit quote

especially when it activates against the final boss

Considering how strong Ryoma is and that he is about to critical or something similar, saying that they deserve even worse than their upcoming asskicking is a powerful statement.

Finished Birthright today. Ended up dropping to Normal Casual because I couldn't be bothered trying anymore. All in all, I feel like Hard is a bit too easy on Birthright. I admit bias, since I've tired of route maps. Thankfully, the last few chapters weren't route, so I made them go quite a bit faster. Story wise, I think its more coherent, but not anything I'd bother caring for. The thing I disliked most is that Corrin feel more like he/she is out for blood on Birthright, whereas Conquest makes a huge deal about not killing people. Felt really weird to me, but I always felt a bit weird about Birthright, since I honestly feel he had a better reason to return to Nohr (now, how he handles his time back there is what I take issue with, but that is for another day). Finished in time for Dark Souls 3, so its a good rest point. WhenI finally get back to it, I'll go for Revelation.

Shinypogs

So I never bothered with invasion 3 before finishing birthright and when I went back to the save to do dailey my castle stuff I figured I'd clear it up for completions sake. I can't for the life of me figure out how to beat it though, it is easily harder than the last 3rd of the game and I'm playing on hard.

I've tried various team comps and moving my buildings around to funnel the enemy to me. Now Ryoma is Ryoma and is fine. My dark knight mc is tanky and has lifetaker so they don't go down and kana is dragonstone tanking nearly everything but he can fall.

The problem is they only give you 10 units and that basically means I get 4 pairs a solo and sakura for heals. Though to be fair max rank puppets do hold their own for a while. I'm just not sure how to use those resources to defend without letting the enemy build up too great of numbers through the reinforcement waves.

For those of you who beat it how did you do it?

Should I bother thinking much about my characters' promotion paths (i.e. using a Heart Seal at 20 instead of a Master Seal) if I only plan on beating Birthright on Normal/Classic? I Just upgraded Hinoka to a Falcon Knight after reading that making her a Spear Master first is recommended. Should I care?

Busaiku

Revelation spoilers.
Why can you get Scarlet support if she's supposed to die.
And regardless of what happens to Gunter, why can't you get him.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Should I bother thinking much about my characters' promotion paths (i.e. using a Heart Seal at 20 instead of a Master Seal) if I only plan on beating Birthright on Normal/Classic? I Just upgraded Hinoka to a Falcon Knight after reading that making her a Spear Master first is recommended. Should I care?

Heart Seals just change your class, you would still need to use a Master Seal to promote. So Sky Knight would change to Spear Fighter and Falcon Knight would change to Spear Master.

I'd say you don't need to do it, but collecting skills can be fun and if money isn't really limited in Birthright (I only have experience with Conquest) you might as well go for it. The biggest downside, other than spending the money on seals, is usually weapon levels. But Hinoka is using a lance either way so it doesn't bother her.

Shinypogs

If you're not fussed about missing the chance for skill or stat growth optimization then don't sweat it. As long as you put together a well rounded team you should be fine on normal given that even on hard birthright is not particularly difficult.

~
Does using an arms scroll let you break a classes weapon level cap?

NeonZ

Revelation spoilers.
Why can you get Scarlet support if she's supposed to die.
And regardless of what happens to Gunter, why can't you get him.

Gunter's supports
in the Japanese version contradict his Revelation story (Well, it's mainly his S support with Female Kamui, which says that she's his first woman - although all his supports do have a lack of acknowledgement of his backstory, which would be odd in general if they were only unlocked after that point of the story).

I don't get why they didn't block Scarlet's supports alongside him too though. Especially considering how they add no special dialogue at all between Corrin and her, and her story dialogue even mentions that Ryoma is more special than Corrin - so it seems like they wrote her with the idea that she wouldn't get supports, especially not an S support, with Corrin in that route.

Heart Seals just change your class, you would still need to use a Master Seal to promote. So Sky Knight would change to Spear Fighter and Falcon Knight would change to Spear Master.

I'd say you don't need to do it, but collecting skills can be fun and if money isn't really limited in Birthright (I only have experience with Conquest) you might as well go for it. The biggest downside, other than spending the money on seals, is usually weapon levels. But Hinoka is using a lance either way so it doesn't bother her.

If you're not fussed about missing the chance for skill or stat growth optimization then don't sweat it. As long as you put together a well rounded team you should be fine on normal given that even on hard birthright is not particularly difficult.

~
Does using an arms scroll let you break a classes weapon level cap?

Thanks, you two!

One more question: I just made Felicia a Strategist after hitting level 20, but she's still level 20...what's the deal? I didn't have the option to use a Master Seal. She is my main healer, currently, so I'm not sure what to do.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks, you two!

One more question: I just made Felicia a Strategist after hitting level 20, but she's still level 20...what's the deal? I didn't have the option to use a Master Seal. She is my main healer, currently, so I'm not sure what to do.

Felicia and Jakob are unique. They start in a promoted class (Maid/Butler is a promotion from Troubadour) but instead of leveling to 20, they can go to 40. She should still be gaining experience.

Felicia's good magic growth makes her a good Strategist since she can still use staffs, but it will be a while before she gets magic that's more effective than the flame shuriken she can use as a Maid. I'm not sure if/when/how you get the flame shuriken in Birthright though.

Felicia and Jakob are unique. They start in a promoted class (Maid/Butler is a promotion from Troubadour) but instead of leveling to 20, they can go to 40. She should still be gaining experience.

Ah, got it! So should I just leave her as a Maid, then, or should is Strategist a better option?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Ah, got it! So should I just leave her as a Maid, then, or should is Strategist a better option?

Strategist is probably the better option long-term, better movement and tomes suit her more than knives/shurikens. Her only good weapons as a Maid are Felicia's Plate (weak) and Flame Shuriken (moderately strong), since both are magic based. Obviously with tomes she will have plenty of options, just need to get that weapon rank up.

I played a lot of Revelation Lunatic and stopped at Chapter 21. The enemies do hit very hard, but it's suprisingly easy overall. You can do a lot of cool customization with the units, and my Sakura+Leo pairing is almost done. I decided to return to my Conquest file yesterday.

Last time, I posted about having trouble with Siegbert's paralogue on Lunatic/Classic. I tried it again after finishing Chapter 23 and finally found a winning strategy!

Most of the time sink came from preparation. I made sure that certain key units hit important stat benchmarks and had the necessary support partners. Another user kuroneko0509 was able to do this with presumably different units and strategy, and this person offered some advice.

I played very aggressively, and closed three Dragon Veins in the first turn. Leo was paired with Niles and they defeated all units in the southeast area. Xander was reclassed to Hero, and he was paired with Shigure the whole time. Shigure provided mobility and important stat bonuses for Xander, and the reclass protected Xander against effective weaponry. My other units were Corrin, Camilla, Percy, Effie, Elise, Kaze, and Mozu (archer).

Because I closed a lot of the reinforcements, Xander and Shigure were able to destroy a lot of the enemies. I picked many units that had advantages against the horses and ninjas, and they fared very well. Those reinforcement veins were definitely the hardest ones to stop, but I got to them before the numbers became overwhelming. Leo, Niles, and Kaze were dedicated mage killers as usual. The pegasi were actually a joke.

The armored knight portal was obviously last, and this one was a pain to close. Thankfully, the major threats had practically been eliminated at this point. It was just a matter of keeping my low defense guys away, so I did some minor turtling in the very last stretch. I cleared the map in 17 turns.

I feel especially glad about this, because EXP/Gold/Item DLC and skill buying are banned on my run. This is a legit victory. This is the hardest map I've done so far. I hear horror stories about Chapter 25, 26, and Endgame, but I've conserved my resources well. I still have some child Paralogues and Castle battles as last minute training/support building.

This is a post that would be good to put in the Serenes Forest Lunatic Club, but I don't have an account now. I'm really thinking of creating one just because of this. I really should become part of that community anyway.

Strategist is probably the better option long-term, better movement and tomes suit her more than knives/shurikens. Her only good weapons as a Maid are Felicia's Plate (weak) and Flame Shuriken (moderately strong), since both are magic based. Obviously with tomes she will have plenty of options, just need to get that weapon rank up.

Fair enough!

And sorry for the barrage of questions, but I noticed that Saizo also has a down arrow next to his sprite after he attacks. What's the deal?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Quite a few weapons, mostly strong ones or ones with significant effects, have some stat reductions when you attack. It mentions this in the weapon description.

Shinypogs

Also don't feel bad about asking questions. Communities exist in part to share knowledge and there may come a time where the info you gained can be used to help others.

I know this thread and serenesforest have been invaluable to me in helping me make the most of my first fire emblem games and for helping me figure out things that left me puzzled. Now I offer what I know back when I have something that can help another.
~
Ty for the heads up Busaiku I won't waste mine then.
~

I liked the little fireworks when you talked to sakura in my castle since it was her birthday. Is that the same for everyone when their special day comes? Or do they have different celebration animations?

Dimmle

Finally done with all three paths. Thanks, Fates. It's been fun. I might return briefly to check out the Fates kids DLC. Is that out yet?

Codeblue

Looking for some insight. Spoilers for Birthright and Conquest:

Is there anything I need to do support wise to keep someone from dieing in Conquest, like Kazes story death in Birthright?

NeonZ

Looking for some insight. Spoilers for Birthright and Conquest:

Is there anything I need to do support wise to keep someone from dieing in Conquest, like Kazes story death in Birthright?

No, there's nothing like that in Conquest.

omlet

Ugh wtf... Conquest 23, get to the very end on 3rd try,
Takumi
one-shot kills my level 15 General Effie with 42 defense (with a team-up).

I'm so mad.

GamerSoul

Ugh wtf... Conquest 23, get to the very end on 3rd try,
Takumi
one-shot kills my level 15 General Effie with 42 defense (with a team-up).

I'm so mad.

I literally came here to post almost the same exact thing!! I've been stuck on this chapter for awhile now, and I usually get screwed over because of an enemy skill activating. I've also lost my Effie a few times when I reached the top of the stage. It's not a super tough stage but crap like that is making take breaks between tries..

CazTGG

Major Revelation 18 stuff
I GOT EVERY CHARACTER TO A, WHY IS SHE DEAD

Fates in general seems to have a thing for
killing off characters, Revelation being by far the worst offender since all of the deaths feel meaningless, like they're racking up a body count rather than making these moments important. The short version is that Scarlet died because the plot dictated she dies at this point in time.

Azuran

Banned
I literally came here to post almost the same exact thing!! I've been stuck on this chapter for awhile now, and I usually get screwed over because of an enemy skill activating. I've also lost my Effie a few times when I reached the top of the stage. It's not a super tough stage but crap like that is making take breaks between tries..

Yeah, that chapter is pretty insane. I took it really slowly when I did it and was very careful especially around Takumi and his super duper hax rng skills.

Edit:

Cd88XhYUEAQGAZm.jpg

Yeah, it took me a while.

Having started Conquest, I've noticed that I can't just throw Effie into large groups of enemies and have them all impale themselves on her spear during enemy phase. They don't attack if they can't do damage! It's so weird! I've never seen anything like this in Fire Emblem, not even in Birthright. It's making me rethink strategies I've been using for years.

Moonlight

Banned
Having started Conquest, I've noticed that I can't just throw Effie into large groups of enemies and have them all impale themselves on her spear during enemy phase. They don't attack if they can't do damage! It's so weird! I've never seen anything like this in Fire Emblem, not even in Birthright. It's making me rethink strategies I've been using for years.
Yeah, they're just a bit smarter in that sense. They'll basically completely ignore anything they can't do any damage to, unless they're ninjas and hence bullshit. There were times I deliberately gave Effie an unoptimal support partner just so that enemies could try to chip away at her for 1 HP at a time.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

They make you think they are kind of smart, but then they still don't realize dual guard is a thing and run face first into paired up opponent for no damage.

The AI can definitely be kind of trollish, especially in some of the later chapters. They sit there and watch you shuffle your units around even inside their range, waiting until you run into their "trap." Definitely remember this in 23 (at the gate on the lower section) and 25 (everywhere).

And chapter 26 looks like hell. No obvious gimmicks, makes me wonder what it's going to do.

Shinypogs

I missed Effie so much in my Birthright play through. She never let me down in either of my conquest runs. Here's to hoping she is just as glorious in revelations by the time I can finally pick her up. Looking over the recruitment order on serenes forest this is going to be an odd run in terms of team building.

spiritfox

I missed Effie so much in my Birthright play through. She never let me down in either of my conquest runs. Here's to hoping she is just as glorious in revelations by the time I can finally pick her up. Looking over the recruitment order on serenes forest this is going to be an odd run in terms of team building.

She comes in at lvl 8 in the same mission you get Silas at lvl 18, so...

Top Bottom