• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

tauroxd

Conquest Chapter 25 is killing me, those damn ninjas in the hallways are impossible to kill not to mention even if you manage to get through the wall you'll probably be dead before then.

I restarted that map like 10 times just in the first turn because those mofos keep destroying my units... I had to rethink and rethink my strategy until I cleared all of it from enemies!

[Conquest] Chapter 25 was really solid

The mission and the content itself. The story is riddled with flaws, but I think there legitimate moments where it truly shines. Moments that make you think "damn, this could have been really good story with some better writing." I really wish chapter 15 didn't happen, and that Corrin and co had to deal with Garon some other way.

Ryoma was too good for this Earth
#FuckXander was my main feeling this chapter lol

CazTGG

I love Xander, but i'd be lying if I wasn't feeling that too. Like goddamn, it's clear he doesn't like what's going, but he refuses to take action.

But guys, didn't you hear? Justice is an illusion, that makes his lack of action and the ones he does take okay!

NeonZ

But guys, didn't you hear? Justice is an illusion, that makes his lack of action and the ones he does take okay!

To be fair, by that point, Azura had already given exposition about how Nohr was split into two factions but they didn't want a bloody civil war in Nohr itself, so they had to go along with the invasion. Now, that should have received more focus rather than just being mentioned once... It should have come up even before the invasion itself, and with more elaboration even could completely replace the throne plot device.

Oh my...

I like Kiragi overall, but I struggle to incorporate him into my army because he's essentially another Takumi except with slightly different growths and caps and without the Fujin Yumi, which is a pretty huge blow that the stats can't easily make up for. Plus, his Friendship sets are literally identical to his dad. All of Takumi's potential friend's sons are Kiragi's potential friends. Thus, Kiragi is likely to only have a single extra class set than his dad, and the selection of wives is pretty limited even then.

I just find this kind of ironic because in his supports with Takumi he pretty much shows him up when in the actual game it's the opposite. Contrast this with the other royal sons, and Kiragi comes out among the worst in terms of measuring up to his dad. Shiro actually benefits from not having Raijinto bound to him, because he can class-change at will without fear of losing out on his OP weapon which lets him serve a different role than his dad. Forrest and Siegbert can potentially eliminate their dads' crippling speed issues with the right mom, which can make up for not having a divine weapon. Takumi isn't fast, but he's not really slow like Leo or Xander either so Kiragi being potentially faster doesn't quite make up for the lack of Fujin Yumi.

tl;dr Kiragi would benefit the most out of all the royal children from his father's divine weapon but without it he will forever live in his father's shadow

PK Gaming

WVW69idLYvgQfcO5b1

So the Ballistician DLC drops tomorrow and I'm unbelievably hyped for it.

Shinypogs

Bond units confirmed for completely OP. I decided to bring one along on my rev run and she is wrecking face thus far. Having lifetaker made her self sufficient from lvl 1 and with sword faire she hit hard early on. I think even without support bonuses she could be decent all the way to the end of this hard run. I catnt imagine how broken they are on normal.

I'm going to use the normal cast for the rest of my team but damn my lil Anzu makes me proud.

So, I'm 12 chapters into Birthright and hit the chapter where the only objective is to
escape with your avatar. Most of my units are already promoted (sans Mozu and Takumi) thanks to the Boo Camp DLC and are sitting at Lv. 1-3. I routed the entire map EXCEPT for King Garon because HAHAHA no thank you. Even with promoted units killing him would probably take a shit ton of turns of whittling him down via counter strikes and going through soooo many rods/staves.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Just finished 25 Conquest/hard. Those master ninjas were a giant pain in the ass. I had tried to split up and do it that way, but finally I ended up just moving everyone up the right side then back to the left side and that worked out fairly well. I think I finished killing everyone on the left side on turn 24 lol. Finishing up was simple.

Cleared Conquest on Lunatic/Classic Mode without anyone dying!

Chapter 26 was absolutely brutal, but Dragonstone+ Corrin and Hero Xander tanked the final room very well. I was happy that my Avatar had the power and skills to defeat the Endgame boss in one round, because I was not dealing with all those enemies.

I set aside five Paralogues for emergency training if I wasn't strong enough. I may not even bother to do them since I was able to win without the extra EXP and resources.

I also have Invasion 2 and Invasion 3 open. I have actually never completed Invasion 3 before, but I may actually try it. I forgot to do it on my initial Hard playthrough. It looked intimidating then, and it will be even worse on Lunatic.

I'm about to move on from this game for a while, but the whole package has been a blast. I'm not totally done, so I will be periodically returning to Fates!

Shinypogs

So I just got to Conquest 20 and wtf is this

This is abuse dragon veins and fliers time. The map itself is actually pretty clever and the map specific mechanic probably does one of the best jobs in the game of making you really pay attention to positioning.

Seriously though if your team is squishy and/or low movement then stay togeather and abuse dragon veins. If your team can take a beating and is mobile then feel free to split up a bit to grab goodies faster before completing the main objective.

20 is a weird map but it's the good kind of weird.

PBalfredo

How in the world do I save Shiro in his paralouge? Dude kills himself if I don't use a rescue staff on turn one, but I have to extend myself so far from the crappy starting area to get him within range of the staff that there's no way I can clear out the enemy threats that will kill him at the rescue point.

I bought a physical birthright and the DLC for conquest, but my copy got fucked up and wont be read by my 3ds anymore (Fell out of my bag and my dog brought it to me a day later :\)

does the DLC attach to the Downloaded copy if I buy birthright or would I have to rebuy it again?

This is assuming I even rebuy it, kinda greatly disliked the stories in both so far

Anbec7

So I just beat Birthright... it left me with more questions than answers lol
Now onto Nohr side any tips?

Also is this a good time to play the DLC? on my birthright save file... the hidden truths DLC?
I don't want to spoil myself a lot

Also is this a good time to play the DLC? on my birthright save file... the hidden truths DLC?

Hidden Truths spoils Revelation quite a bit, but does so in a way that expands on the backstory, so you won't get much out of it while at the same time spoiling Revelation. I'd recommend waiting until you have beaten Revelation if you care about spoilers.

Anbec7

Hidden Truths spoils Revelation quite a bit, but does so in a way that expands on the backstory, so you won't get much out of it while at the same time spoiling Revelation. I'd recommend waiting until you have beaten Revelation if you care about spoilers.

Alright, I'll wait for revelations then!
Thanks!

Coppanuva

How in the world do I save Shiro in his paralouge? Dude kills himself if I don't use a rescue staff on turn one, but I have to extend myself so far from the crappy starting area to get him within range of the staff that there's no way I can clear out the enemy threats that will kill him at the rescue point.

Get 2 Fliers, pair up a Rescue Staff user with 1, and Ryoma with another. Fly the Rescuer as far as they can towards shiro while still allowing them to be able to rescue the Ryoma Flier at end of their move, then move the Ryoma flier next to Shiro and switch to talk to him.

Friendly reminder that the Ballistician Blitz and A Gift from Anna DLC are both now available, meaning TANKUMI LIVES. A Gift from Anna is free for everyone too.

Also Warp is broken

PK Gaming

-Guard Stance is God. There are a few moments where attack stance is ideal, but for the most part Guard Stance is the goto
-Focusing on a few key super units > spreading EXP
-Lean on tonics. They're cheap and effective ways of boosting stats. I made use out of them in almost every map

Anbec7

-Guard Stance is God. There are a few moments where attack stance is ideal, but for the most part Guard Stance is the goto
-Focusing on a few key super units > spreading EXP
-Lean on tonics. They're cheap and effective ways of boosting stats. I made use out of them in almost every map

Tonics, something that I never used on birthright. Thanks for the tips

What about units? I heard that Arthur is not that good due to his main skill

PK Gaming

Arthur is definitely very usable since he comes early and has fantastic growths. You need put in a little elbow grease to make him work since he has a slow start. Take off his gamble skill (temporarily), keep him fed with tonics until he can fight without them, etc. He's one of the best best Berserkers because his personal ability + gamble + killer axe lets him crit like a madman (or you can go Hero and get Sol which is a godlike skill).

Best units to use on Conquest are:

-Corrin (Duh. Strongly recommend going +Mag/-Luk in order to stomp enemies with the Levin Sword)
-Camilla (She will carry you in the early game and is still solid later on. Give her the seraph robe since her HP base is low for her level)
-Xander (literal God)
-Jakob (if you picked female Corrin, since you can immediately reclass him into Paladin to trivialize the early game)
-Felicia (if you picked Male Corrin. She will be your permanent pair up partner since her personal ability + guard stance bonuses are quite good.)
-Elise (Solid staff support)
-Leo (Solid unit, just give him Felicia or Adventurer Nyx to patch up his Speed)
-Niles (Your best archer. Definitely go Bow Knight for an insane 9 movement class)
-Azura (FE dancer but with amazing abilities)
-Keaton (Beast)
-Effie (Very helpful in the early game)

The rest are also pretty good/okay, with the only kinda sucky unit being Mozu. Nyx and Charlotte are mediocre by themselves, but amazing as pair up units.

Moonlight

Banned
I'll tack on to say that Beruka isn't phenomenal, but she's pre-equipped with an amazing class (wyverns OP, tbh) and her high mobility and high defense, plus the fact she's your only good non-Camilla axe user are actually quite invaluable for a number of maps.

Please avoid using Benny unless you want his merely okay kid (especially compared to stalwarts like Ophelia or Velouria) or you just really want his admittedly decent supports. People who say he's better than Effie are objectively wrong, and don't understand that Speed is the most valuable overall stat in the game and that the 'no one can double' skill is super garbage. And also have worse taste.

Benny is hilariously bad because he's actually too good. His defenses are so high that enemies will straight up ignore him because they can't do any damage, which entirely defeats the purpose of a tank.

NawtKool

Neo Member
Finally beat Lunatic Conquest 10!

Funny thing was I spent a few days failing to beat it, then completely took a break from it, not trying at all yesterday. After a couple tries with remembering how to optimize my first turn, I beat it on my first real run through.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Benny is hilariously bad because he's actually too good. His defenses are so high that enemies will straight up ignore him because they can't do any damage, which entirely defeats the purpose of a tank.

I didn't think about it until now, but you can actually strategize around that. Particularly in some of the later Conquest chapters.

Felicia is also really good with female Corrin since she joins with good speed and magic, after you have the Flame Shuriken.

I haven't used tonics and I am on chapter 26 now. I usually use the mess hall though.

PK Gaming

I'll tack on to say that Beruka isn't phenomenal, but she's pre-equipped with an amazing class (wyverns OP, tbh) and her high mobility and high defense, plus the fact she's your only good non-Camilla axe user are actually quite invaluable for a number of maps.

Oh right, I completely forgot. Beruka's definitely great and it's a shame people pass on her for being an "inferior" Camilla, when being an inferior Camilla isn't even a bad thing since she possesses so many good qualities. You can even reclass her into Berserker and stick her onto another physical unit where essentially acts as slightly worse Charlotte.

Felicia is also really good with female Corrin since she joins with good speed and magic, after you have the Flame Shuriken.

I haven't used tonics and I am on chapter 26 now. I usually use the mess hall though.

That's true. Felicia(2nd join) is still pretty an appealing pick for F!Corrin since you only miss out on like 1 speed with A-rank (which isn't a deal breaker.) Felicia herself is a great support partner for several characters too. Conversely, nobody really needs Jakob (2nd) besides Corrin, haha.

Shinypogs

Tonics plus mess hall can pretty much trivialize an upcoming battle if you have the right combo of boosted stats.

That said with regards to the mess hall . It only feeds half your army unlike in birthright ( but flairs can still apply to everyone or just all of a specific group same as birthright).

Feed lillith. She's actually useful during invasions in conquest.

Status staves are important resources.

If you are going to use Arthur you have to accept that he will get crit at least once at the most inopportune time .

Enjoy the ride!

Claris

That said with regards to the mess hall . It only feeds half your army unlike in birthright ( but flairs can still apply to everyone or just all of a specific group same as birthright).
This isn't based on Birthright/Conquest, feeding everyone requires a Level 3 Mess Hall (which you can get after Chapter 19).

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
If you are going to use Arthur you have to accept that he will get crit at least once at the most inopportune time.

Well, that happens often even without Arthur, in my experience :p

Can't believe what the special edition is selling for. Even the extras seem to go for upwards of $80 on Ebay, which is pretty tempting. Could get back more than what I paid for the game without even selling the game.

Shinypogs

This isn't based on Birthright/Conquest, feeding everyone requires a Level 3 Mess Hall (which you can get after Chapter 19).

Really, I recall my mess hall in birthright feeding everyone right from the start but most of birthright is a blur so I'll take your word for it. I'll keep that in mind for my Rev playthrough though and make sure to fully upgrade when I reach that point.

Well, that happens often even without Arthur, in my experience :p

I found the RNG was more wonky in Birthright than in Conquest to be honest and not just where Ryoma was concerned.

Were you the person who got crit by archers five resets in a row on that one conquest map? that's the kind of thing that'd make my 3ds' life be in danger from sheer rage.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I found the RNG was more wonky in Birthright than in Conquest to be honest and not just where Ryoma was concerned.

Were you the person who got crit by archers five resets in a row on that one conquest map? that's the kind of thing that'd make my 3ds' life be in danger from sheer rage.

Yep. Same place on the map too, on chapter 23. I'd get to that part after 3-4 turns, and someone would die to a crit.

And it was actually six times.

That really killed a lot of my enjoyment of the game though. Ever since that chapter I've been playing through it extremely slow. Like a chapter a week, if that.

Please avoid using Benny unless you want his merely okay kid (especially compared to stalwarts like Ophelia or Velouria) or you just really want his admittedly decent supports. People who say he's better than Effie are objectively wrong, and don't understand that Speed is the most valuable overall stat in the game and that the 'no one can double' skill is super garbage. And also have worse taste.

Why are you singling out Benny? Charlotte, Nyx, and Arthur are probably worse.

Speed isn't everything in this game. There are actually a few instances where you don't want to double. I just beat Conquest on Lunatic, and you will need some tanks.

I agree that Effie is better, but Benny can still replace her. She does do more damage, but they still perform the same role since Effie never doubles.

Speed isn't everything in this game. There are actually a few instances where you don't want to double. I just beat Conquest on Lunatic, and you will need some tanks.

I agree that Effie is better, but Benny can still replace her. She does do more damage, but they still perform the same role since Effie never doubles.

lol no

Moonlight

Banned

Effie can absolutely double, and that's not what's important about Effie anyways. Her speed growth is abnormally good in general, which means it's much harder for her to get doubled, and she can do it without picking up an awful skill like Wary Fighter taking up a precious skill slot. Charlotte, Nyx, and Arthur are all about as bad (as units), sure, but I'm singling him out because Benny's viability is slightly more contested. It shouldn't be.

His personal is way worse than Effie's, his only viable class is General, which is pretty poor compared to Great Knight even when you include the doubled weakness on that class, and the game itself pushes you toward leaning on Effie so much in the early game, there's no reason you have to catch him up on Conquest. Certainly not the map you even get him in (and in fairness, Charlotte's not very good there either). And certainly not when the game gives you more than enough sturdy units with much better class access/bases/growths.

And speed is absolutely, overall, the best stat in the game in terms of what it does for a character. It pushes their damage output, minimizes what enemies can do to them, and on top of that affects their dodge rate too. Every class in the game benefits from speed in more or less the same way. There's a reason why pair-up bots that give high speed are pretty universally considered good at what they do.

Shinypogs

Yep. Same place on the map too, on chapter 23. I'd get to that part after 3-4 turns, and someone would die to a crit.

And it was actually six times.

That really killed a lot of my enjoyment of the game though. Ever since that chapter I've been playing through it extremely slow. Like a chapter a week, if that.

Yeah I can see how that would sour you on the game. I imagine if you ever do a second conquest run there will be much trepidation before starting that chaptet.

Please elaborate.

In certain chokepoints, you want to minimize the damage from enemy hordes, so you are better off not destroying all of them. You can only take so much damage.

On child Paralogues, Speed is actually crucial. If you can't double enemies there, you are screwed because those maps often force you to clear them fast.

On main story maps, Speed is totally not as important as you think it is.

Top Bottom