• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

I'm one mission away from beating birthright.

This is my first fire enemies I'll complete and I can't say I'm overly impressed.

I played about half of blazing sword and thought it pretty good though I got frustrated because I hate the permadeath.

This one I got to about mission ten before I turned off permadeath. Then I started blazing through the game. It became too easy at that point. I'm just throwing people at enemies.

So the problem is is too easy on casual and two hard on normal.

Plus the story want too hot. Cool concept but under cooked and too short

I don't know, I haven't wanted to invest that much into Odin to level him up to have Astra. It would probably be overkill though, Ophelia does so much damage already thanks to targeting Res and her great crit rate. Having Vantage so she can attack first in the event she gets hurt is probably more useful.

Maybe someone else has a different opinion on that though.

I think it'll be an interesting experiment. I can always pass on Vantage in my Revelations playthrough, which doesn't require nearly as much as an investment.

Azuran

Banned
Guys please stop reminding me how much Odin freaking sucks in this game. I keep trying to make him good but he always falls behind whether he's a mage or a samurai. Revelation Odin was a complete slap in the face as a huge fan of him. And I was really looking forward to using him.

However, I'll still take him over Mozu because he's hilarious and has the best quotes in the games. Niles is the only archer I need in Conquest, and Takumi is better in Birthright/Revelation

PK Gaming

Starting to regret not doing the Ophelia paralogue early enough

Sure that would have sandbagged her, but at least I would have gotten the Calamity Gate for Ninja Hell...

Moonlight

Banned
I don't know about turning him into a god, but I'd gladly take Odin over Mozu in Conquest.
Odin unlocks Ophelia. I like to use a heart seal on him too so I can pass on Vantage, but that can be done at any time since he just wants to get married, so he doesn't need one of the first two.
Mozu needing one of the early heart seals when Corrin and Jakob both would like one is hard for me to justify, especially when it means I'm just getting another archer even though Niles fills that role perfectly.
Astra is worthless on Ophelia, she shouldn't have trouble critting and blowing people up with her absurd magic and crit rate bonuses, and then Lightning exists too.

Vantage, however, is outright broken on her because it synergizes with Vengeance and it means, for Ophelia, every phase is player phase for her. Vantage means you can park her somewhere in a naked position and expect her to ORKO anything that tries to poke her Xander-style (assuming the first person to attack her can't ORKO her), except like, way better.

Vantage >>> Astra for Ophelia. Ophelia's issues aren't offense since she should be able to kill basically everything, that's her selling point, it's durability. With vantage, assuming she has a high enough crit rate and/or Lightning, she should have a much strong Enemy Phase since she should be able to just kill enemies who attack her.

tbh I've found Astra a lot more useful for making Ryoma's survivability that much better because it gives him extra blocks from his partner. There's a few times he's killed enemies because of Astra but I'd say the not-dying was a lot more helpful. This shouldn't really apply to Ophelia because her dodge/HP/defense isn't high enough to rely on proccing it, especially without having Vantage in the first place.

Nyx and Odin would suggest otherwise, not unless you reclass Odin to a myrmidon, pick a god and pray for Nyx. Also Orochi to a lesser extent if her speed was as bad as it was on my Revelation playthrough (She was fine during Birthright, probably better to reclass her as a Witch now that the DLC for it is available but 14 at level 30-ish? Pathetic, even Benny had a higher base than her!)
Most individual bad stats can be patched up with pair up and tonics, like with Xander and his speed issues. Given sufficient investment, anyone is great, so adding grinding as an option gives basically unlimited investment meaning everyone is really strong. It's generally more interesting and helpful to look at what a character can do with limited resources, as well as what units they're taking those resources away from.

Considering how strong magic is in Fates, I imagine Odin and Nyx actually have a pretty high upside given sufficient resources, it's just that they're so awful before hitting that point that it's totally not worth it.

Azuran

Banned
Starting to regret not doing the Ophelia paralogue early enough

Sure that would have sandbagged her, but at least I would have gotten the Calamity Gate for Ninja Hell...

I get one every playthrough before I even start thanks to all the streetpasses I got. University campuses are great for that.

Yep, Vantage > Astra.

I don't know about turning him into a god, but I'd gladly take Odin over Mozu in Conquest.
Odin unlocks Ophelia. I like to use a heart seal on him too so I can pass on Vantage, but that can be done at any time since he just wants to get married, so he doesn't need one of the first two.
Mozu needing one of the early heart seals when Corrin and Jakob both would like one is hard for me to justify, especially when it means I'm just getting another archer even though Niles fills that role perfectly.

I like Ophelia too. Unfortunately, in my case, it took me until Ch. 27 plus like three paralogues to get Odin married. So much pain. So...much...pain...*Sobs*

But yes, Ophelia is totally worth suffering for if you can get Odin married quickly. Just a matter of what's quicker, I suppose: Getting Ophelia (which is like six maps minimum) or getting Mozu out of her hole (which I don't know how long it'll take since I'm only familiar with her in Revelation).

Buuuuuuuut that's not to say you can't try to get both at once when you can boot Arthur early on. :p Bows, axes, what's the difference? :V

-

All goes back to whether or not you're willing to burn a Heart Seal for her, I guess; whether you've got both Corrin -and- Jakob or only Corrin.

Guys please stop reminding me how much Odin freaking sucks in this game. I keep trying to make him good but he always falls behind whether he's a mage or a samurai. Revelation Odin was a complete slap in the face as a huge fan of him. And I was really looking forward to using him.

However, I'll still take him over Mozu because he's hilarious and has the best quotes in the games. Niles is the only archer I need in Conquest, and Takumi is better in Birthright/Revelation

my samurai odin turned out great ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Holy shit, Hinoka as a Great Knight is a totally broken tank. In chapter 22 of Revelations and both her def and res are in the 30s. This is nonsense, lol.

champloo

Vantage >>> Astra for Ophelia. Ophelia's issues aren't offense since she should be able to kill basically everything, that's her selling point, it's durability. With vantage, assuming she has a high enough crit rate and/or Lightning, she should have a much strong Enemy Phase since she should be able to just kill enemies who attack her.

Wait, LIghtning on Enemy Phase? I thought brave weapons didn't work like that?

my samurai odin turned out great ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mine as well. He is especially good at dealing with bosses who sit on a throne.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I guess I missed out by not using Lighting, since it's apparently good. I saw high price and 1MT and noped away from that quick. I know it attacks twice, but does it have good crit too that I missed or something?

Edit: Nope. And it a painful stat penalty. What exactly is good about lightning? What's the advantage of hitting twice with a weak attack with a greater opportunity to miss than hitting once with a much stronger attack?

champloo

I guess I missed out by not using Lighting, since it's apparently good. I saw high price and 1MT and noped away from that quick. I know it attacks twice, but does it have good crit too that I missed or something?

Edit: Nope. And it a painful stat penalty. What exactly is good about lightning? What's the advantage of hitting twice with a weak attack with a greater opportunity to miss than hitting once with a much stronger attack?

You don't need critting when you can attack 4 times. It's very good on frail magic users since it lets you ORKO your enemy without worrying about being counterattacked.

CazTGG

Edit: Nope. And it a painful stat penalty. What exactly is good about lightning?

It's more readily available than Snake Spirit (the Brave scroll), is cheaper and doesn't have the half magic drop that weapon does...mind it's much weaker (5:1), causes a -2 to Magic and Skill whereas the debuff to SS drops off after you attack a 2nd time (which, if Azura is still available, makes that drop negligible, let alone if you're using Galeforce) and doesn't give you the boon that Snake Spirit does but I digress. At least it's not Odin's Grimoire?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
You don't need critting when you can attack 4 times. It's very good on frail magic users since it lets you ORKO your enemy without worrying about being counterattacked.

But why attack four times for like 8 damage each instead of two times for like 18 damage each?

But why attack four times for like 8 damage each instead of two times for like 18 damage each?

If you're only attacking for 8 damage with Lightning you either got seriously RNG screwed, don't know how to boost your stats properly, or are throwing them at a Master Ninja/Falcon Knight for some reason.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
If you're only attacking for 8 damage with Lightning you either got seriously RNG screwed, don't know how to boost your stats properly, or are throwing them at a Master Ninja/Falcon Knight for some reason.

I haven't used it at all. I'm just saying why use 1MT 4x instead of 8MT 2x?

I haven't used it at all. I'm just saying why use 1MT 4x instead of 8MT 2x?

1 MT + mag stat + skills you mean? 1MT with 20 mag is 21 damage, x 4 thanks to lightning. Better than 28 x 2 unless I'm missing something.

I mean, that is a pretty odd example, since your main magic user will likely be using it, and have a lot more magic than 20 by time you can get it, but you should get the picture. 4 chances for skills/crit to activate too.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
1 MT + mag stat + skills you mean? 1MT with 20 mag is 21 damage, x 4 thanks to lightning. Better than 28 x 2 unless I'm missing something.

I mean, that is a pretty odd example, since your main magic user will likely be using it, and have a lot more magic than 20 by time you can get it, but you should get the picture. 4 chances for skills/crit to activate too.

This is an answer that is actually making some sense to me. I don't know the damage formula but this is telling me it's not how I assumed it worked. So I guess it's just str/mag + mt - def/res?

And that would probably change things in most FE games if the others are similar, since I've never paid any attention to that...

Rutger

Banned
I took a break from this game a while back, and finally returned to finish my Lunatic Conquest run.

The final map was pretty disappointing,
constant damage to the whole party every other turn and several infinite stave users,
I had no interest in trying to play through that legit so I grabbed a couple characters from online castles to do the two turn method. I lost a couple characters though, so I'll probably I'll probably go back and try and get a crit or something.

Other than that, I loved the game, it's one of my favorites in the series gameplay wise. I'm glad I picked Lunatic, the fun I had with the rest of the game more than out weighed the awful final map.
The story was even worse than I expected from the reactions of those that imported, haha. But on the bright side, I'll never have any reason to waste my time on the cutscenes in future playthroughs.

This is an answer that is actually making some sense to me. I don't know the damage formula but this is telling me it's not how I assumed it worked. So I guess it's just str/mag + mt - def/res?

And that would probably change things in most FE games if the others are similar, since I've never paid any attention to that...
That is the damage formula, but if enemy resistance is low or your magic is high, then the difference in might becomes progressively less important, especially if you can kill on the first two attacks.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
That is the damage formula, but if enemy resistance is low or your magic is high, then the difference in might becomes progressively less important, especially if you can kill on the first two attacks.

Yeah, I get it now.

But it's weird. I've ALWAYS assumed might meant more than that ever since I played FE7 when it came out in English.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
wait so...what did you think the damage formula was?

I always assumed it was more complicated and had a multiplier in there somewhere. 8x more MT might not do 8x more damage, but I'd expect it to do a LOT more. Not 7 more.

But I never made any effort to confirm that to myself or compare MT versus damage values I was seeing while playing, crazily enough.

So question: I know that you get a Paragon book from Anna's Gift 2 from the 3rd wave of Japanese DLC, but is it also a reward in one of the maps of the Short-Lived Memories DLC pack? I know about Point Blank, just not the others.

SuperOrez

Welp I did it. I gave up and switched to casual mode. I swore I never would no matter what but Conquest kicked my butt. I got to chapter 23? I think it's called Sakura. Maybe next time I guess.

Shinypogs

I've reached the point where revelations gave up on pacing and plot and is now just a series of "what the fuck?" Moments.

On the other hand after many levels and much heart sealing my avatar is nearly complete. Nohr noble with plus 2 magic Dragon fang rend heaven quixotic and hoshidan trust
Will swap the plus magic skill for draconic hex on my next level up and then I am perfect. As it is I have already started proccing my two skills on a frequency once reserved for Ryoma getting crits or using astra. Would not try this build in conquest though, too many enemies with actual activated skills
where quixotic would fuck me over.

For weapons I have dragonstone, yato, levin sword and forged horse spirit so all my bases are covered. It feels really satisfying to see a plan come to fruition like this. I'll never be a dedicated min/max kind of person but making a fun and sort of broken character that require a bit of fiddling and work to get broken is enjoyable now and again.

Hero

Ugh, I really hate that you can't save before the last chapter in the game.

Any strategies for the final mission in Conquest on Hard?

champloo

Ugh, I really hate that you can't save before the last chapter in the game.

Any strategies for the final mission in Conquest on Hard?

Gotta go fast. The final boss' AoE attack combined with a large number of reinforcements makes it really hard if you play it defensively. I kept most of my units unpaired and tried to kill as many enemies as I could in player phases, while pushing forward aggressively. I also used silence staves to deal with those maids.

There is also the strategy using Pass and Rescue staff, I guess.

Infinite range entrap staffs with 200 hit.

Seriously?

It's not too bad actually. They seemed to pick unit randomly to entrap on my run.

just remember that the final boss's aoe attack destroys any barriers you had up so make note of enemies' ranges cause they suddenly won't be restricted grumble grumble

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It's not too bad actually. They seemed to pick unit randomly to entrap on my run.

That's kind of odd, but good since I don't have enough units with enough defense/speed to not get completely destroyed if they were smart with their entraps.

Will actually start it in a little while, hopefully the RNG is not maddening tonight so I can be done with this game.

PK Gaming

For those wondering why Camilla is godlike, this is why (ninjas are too scared to fight because they know they'll get fucked up on the enemy phase)

CgdVHleWQAANevv.jpg

She makes chapter 17 her bitch, even on Lunatic. And the Dual Club lets her make the Weapon Triangle her bitch too. Just a really clutch character overall, goddamn.

GSR

That's kind of odd, but good since I don't have enough units with enough defense/speed to not get completely destroyed if they were smart with their entraps.

Will actually start it in a little while, hopefully the RNG is not maddening tonight so I can be done with this game.

I wound up just doubling units up on the preparation screen and letting them be taken. Then you can just have everyone pop out of the stairs when you're ready to deal with the guys in the middle.

Clov

I've played through Chapter 24 in Revelation. Can I now play the Hidden Truths maps without spoiling any plot points from later on in Revelation?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Dunno what it is but the last stretch of the game seems rather easy. None of the chapters from 26 to endgame are very difficult. I'd have probably beaten endgame on my first try if not for my terrible luck rearing it's ugly head. Corrin decided not to dodge anything, and got hit by 6 consecutive <50 hit attacks. Any of them missing would have resulted in survival, but nah.

Then I miss with 77 hit and 40 crit but the enemy hits and crits with 75/2. Don't do this to me game.

Shinypogs

Revelations hard/ classic complete! Mvp was Forrest with a clutch rescue staff. Combat mvp was velouria who didn't give a fuck about anything.

Very annoyed about
deployment numbers shifting between the final chapter and endgame though. Its not that I struggled with less units but it felt weird not to have "the team" as it was in the final battle.

Not as good as conquest and the plot goes off the fucking rails at the end but well worth the money and time I put in. I will take a rest before going back to conquest and picking up awakening.

Can the games older than awakening be gotten on the 3ds? If not what kind of prices am I looking at for gba cartridges if I can find them?

Top Bottom