• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Are you sure you played the same game? The majority of Sophie's supports have to do with her trying to become good enough for Avel to respect her and listen to her. I haven't even seen any of that from Caeldori. The majority of her supports always show her having inferiority issues because Subaki is her father despite being one of the smartest and most dependable members of the army. I want to know where all those make up and girly supports you're reading are because I don't see them. One support doesn't invalidate the other 10 they have. Selkie is meant to be cute and innocent so using her to show how "bad" Fates supports are is disingenuous.

You also forgot to mention that Charlotte saves Xander from an attack after she finally listens to him and shows her true side to him. It's not like it came out of nowhere.

Like PK mentioned, the majority of Fates supports are better because characters actually have established relationships with each other before meeting them. There's the siblings and their retainers and pairs like Charlotte/Benny, Orochi/Kagero, and Kaze/Saizo. There's some bad ones out there but at least they're better than having someone like Gaius mentioning candy every 5 lines and Cordelia reminding us how much she loves Chrom even when it didn't make sense. Fates characters don't rely on their gimmicks as much. Just look at Laslow, Selena and Odin for the perfect example. Those three were greatly toned down from their Awakening days.

I wasn't clear: I mean specifically the support conversation between Sophie and Caeldori specifically. I was using it as one example. Because, like I mentioned, the game does portray its women as equal leaders, soldiers, etc, but still has these really awful conversations peppered in.

There are a lot of supports I haven't seen. Kagero and Orochi is in example because I would pretty much never pair those characters together. I can only talk about the supports I've seen, which is roughly two max bonds per character.

But I've found that even characters with supposed history and relationships haven't necessarily had good supports. Kaze's support with Rinkah is all about candy. It's so inane. They get married because Kaze knows she likes candy and she doesn't want to take it. Each of the different conversations is more or less identical.

Ultimately, I've just seen more lousy one than good ones. That's all I'm saying.

McNum

So with the game coming out in Europe tomorrow, I want to ask, in as spoiler light way as possible...

What did you wish you knew before starting the game?

I'm talking things like Chrom's auto S-rank in Awakening and the like or things that will trip up someone who played a lot of Awakening. I already know that it is a good idea to
be friendly with Kaze
in Birthright. Are there any other things like that to watch out for?

collection complete....
Ci1At6WWUAAEom0.jpg:orig

Draxal

So with the game coming out in Europe tomorrow, I want to ask, in as spoiler light way as possible...

What did you wish you knew before starting the game?

I'm talking things like Chrom's auto S-rank in Awakening and the like or things that will trip up someone who played a lot of Awakening. I already know that it is a good idea to
be friendly with Kaze
in Birthright. Are there any other things like that to watch out for?

There's one kinda like the Birthright Spoiler in Rev, however it's only for true min-maxers as it requires a ton of grinding in a very small window. Also, you will miss a kid if you marry a male corrin to a noncorrinsexual nonfirst gen in all three games.

Apparently, Gamestop.com had special editions back earlier today but they sold out in around 10 minutes ...

Azuran

Banned
There's one kinda like the Birthright Spoiler in Rev, however it's only for true min-maxers as it requires a ton of grinding in a very small window. Also, you will miss a kid if you marry a male corrin to a noncorrinsexual nonfirst gen in all three games.

Apparently, Gamestop.com had special editions back earlier today but they sold out in around 10 minutes ...

What was the Revelation thing again? I feel like I missed it and now I'm freaking out because I may not have a perfect file D:

(Mid-game Revelation stuff)
I wonder if marrying Scarlet would prevent her death? Or if the game's that much of a jerk and will kill her anyway?

Azuran

Banned
Revelation mid-late game spoilers It's
Scarlet, you can unlock her gold statue before she dies

My perfectionist side is actually screaming in despair right now.

(Mid-game Revelation stuff)
I wonder if marrying Scarlet would prevent her death? Or if the game's that much of a jerk and will kill her anyway?

Game is a jerk. You'll become a sad and lonely widow no matter what

Sölf

Question regarding difficulties. I guess something similar to Lunatic/Hard/whatever is back. How "good" is that this time? Simply higher stats on everything, like it was in Awakening, or more like the older games, with more enemy troops, less useable units as well as higher stats?

Lynx_7

Sölf;204114315 said:
Question regarding difficulties. I guess something similar to Lunatic/Hard/whatever is back. How "good" is that this time? Simply higher stats on everything, like it was in Awakening, or more like the older games, with more enemy troops, less useable units as well as higher stats?

Depends on the route. Conquest handles it pretty well giving enemies more skills, stats and weapons (stuff like beast killers, armorslayers, etc) on Hard. Not sure if there's a stat bump on Lunatic but I do know they have more/different skills.
Birthright just makes enemy density stupidly high with millions of reinforcements on route missions. It's neither difficult nor fun, so if you're not a completionist like me just stick with Hard for that one.

Nohar

Well, I don't really care for Corrin's siblings (both on Hoshido and Nohr side), but I think I'm taking a liking in Elise.

Units are quite frail in my team, and they don't have a lot of HP overall. I like Rinkah's amazing Defense, but gosh her HP is terribad (and her very low Skill, coupled with Axe weapons, doesn't help her much). Oddly enough, my best tank is Oboro with the Guard Naginata, but she is kinda too balanced (Strenght, Speed, Skill and Luck all at 22). Silas is... decent. He is actually the one with the highest Strenght in my team so far, just behind Kagero (that girl's Strenght stat is through the roof). I made him a Great Knight since I really wanted another Axe user.
Orochi is pulling a Micaiah on me, with constant Magic and Resistance growths, but is beginning to lag behind in terms of Speed. And it isn't like I can manipulate her Growths in this game.
Mozu's strenght isn't her forte, despite her unique growth advantage, and as a result she is kinda lackluster despite having godly Speed and Skill. I wonder if she was RNG-screwed or if her Strenght growth is just very low by default. Anyhow, I don't want to know the numbers.
Kaden would be amazing if his Defense stat wasn't atrocious. He is a mage killer though, and a very good dodger.

McNum

Right. I'll save that one for my sixth victory lap female Corrin Revelations game.

So, kids are tied to the males this time around? I'll just have to look that up on Serenes Forest. I don't want plot spoilers, but I'm totally fine with mechanics spoilers.

Speaking of that, I know Pair Up has been changed because of how super powerful it was in Awakening. What's the dos and don'ts of new Pair Up?

PK Gaming

Sölf;204114315 said:

Conquest has the best Lunatic in the franchise. Stats are bumped up but not to the point of ridiculousness. Skills are the name of the game, and oftentimes you'll run into some insane skill combinations in a map. Enemy composition is different and there are more of them in general. Also expect challenging reinforcements since they're mostly based on your position.

Haven't played Birthright/Lunatic but that one just adds more enemies iirc?

Game is a jerk. You'll become a sad and lonely widow no matter what
She's pretty much dead one way or the other. Marrying her can't save her.
nothing can beat the scripted death

...Well, I suppose "The only way to save Ryoma's de facto girlfriend is by marrying her" would be all sorts of messed up. lol Still the most unnecessary death ever. >.>

Sölf;204114315 said:

Wish I checked for this during my first Conquest playthrough. >.> Anyways, doing a quick check for Ch. 9...

Lunatic: Most enemies, skills very prevalent, level-ups gain are semi-fixed.
Hard: Slightly fewer enemies compared to Lunatic, skills very prevalent (though I recall Ch. 7's enemies getting nerfed skills), level-up gains are random.
Normal: Slightly fewer enemies compared to Hard, enemies get reduced stats compared to Lunatic/Hard, no skills on anyone but the boss, level-up gains are random.

Birthright hard: enemy stats raised a modest amount, enemy density increased a lot
Birthright lunatic: enemy density increased even more

Conquest hard: modest increase in enemy stats, enemies get skills, enemy density slightly increased
Conquest lunatic: enemies get more skills and a slight increase in enemy density again (also Inevitable End/Staff Savant oh boy)

Revelation hard: enemy stats get jacked up a ludicrous amount
Revelation lunatic: enemy stats get raised even more (not as much as the normal->hard increase though), promoted enemies have skills from their base classes (i.e. Poison Strike, Seal Resistance, HP +5/Gamble, etc.)

funny thing is Revelation design philosophy can work (i.e. FE12), it's a total mess here though

Sölf

Thanks for the answers. I will still go for Hard/Classic first, but it's nice to see Lunatic doesn't seem to be so stupid as it was in Awakening and being more in line with the older titles.

Downloading now. God, that wait was awful. Thanks NoE. My excitement for the game is kind of gone at this point but who needs hype when you've got Fire Emblem 😝

Azuran

Banned
Speaking of that, I know Pair Up has been changed because of how super powerful it was in Awakening. What's the dos and don'ts of new Pair Up?

Defense stance won't allows your partner to attack but they'll block attacks from enemy support units. If you're going to tank and hold a chokepoint, always use defense stance especially if you see enemy ninjas lurking around.

So I got the pack with one game and two download codes because I missed the limited edition, and now that the games can be downloaded I tried them, but when I try them in the eShop, it says the have to be used in the game, but there's no option to use the codes in game, and it just asks me to buy the other paths. So what am I supposed to do now? The manual says download codes can be redeemed in the Dragon Gate, so do I have to wait until I unlock it before I can use the codes?

So I got the pack with one game and two download codes because I missed the limited edition, and now that the games can be downloaded I tried them, but when I try them in the eShop, it says the have to be used in the game, but there's no option to use the codes in game, and it just asks me to buy the other paths. So what am I supposed to do now? The manual says download codes can be redeemed in the Dragon Gate, so do I have to wait until I unlock it before I can use the codes?

Yeah, you have to wait until you unlock the Dragon's Gate.

Azuran

Banned
Should I buy Conquest or Birthright?

Conquest is the better game if you're only planning on buying one. If you're planning on playing both back to back, I would start off with Birthright just because it's the simpler of the two and it's kinda hard to get back to it after Conquest which will probably dampen the overall experience. Birthright is still a good game especially if you loved played and loved Awakening since it improves on pretty much everything gameplay wise.

tauroxd

Buy them both, one in physicall or digital payiing $40 and the other as DLC for $20 (Revelation is very goot too, it is DLC only, for $20) and start with Birthright.

If you really can only buy one, it depends: If you are new to the franchise, buy Birthright, if you are a veteran or have experience with some games, go for Conquest.

But I really recommend playng at least both of them, starting with Birthright.

collection complete....

AWESOME! Congrats on getting all three of them!

Junahu

Since I missed the boat on the limited edition, I'm planning to buy both Birthright/Conquest physically.
I know I'll miss out on cross-game bonuses, and I'm fine with that.

What I want to know, is if two physical carts will play nice and share the same DLC (and Revelations), or if I'd need to make two different purchases for all the digital stuff I wanted to have.

Lynx_7

Just go with Conquest so you don't run the risk of being yet another disappointed Birthright poster that'll jump straight to Revelations because of fatigue instead of playing the best route. That way if you wanna go straight to Revelations at least you'll already have beaten the superior path first.

Though if you really have a lot of stamina and plan to beat all 3 routes consecutively within a short spam of time without feeling burnt out than I guess you could go with Birthright first.

McNum

Defense stance won't allows your partner to attack but they'll block attacks from enemy support units. If you're going to tank and hold a chokepoint, always use defense stance especially if you see enemy ninjas lurking around.
Oh, right! That's the big new thing with Pair Up... The enemy gets to do it, too!

Two enemies side by side are much more dangerous than ever in Fire Emblem. But you can cancel that advantage outright by using a Defensive pairing? That's the same as the pairing in Awakening, except the rear unit won't attack and won't gain EXP, right?

I never played a legit Lunatic run in Awakening. I always had to grind with DLC if I wanted to use more than just Robin, Chrom, and their children. Lunatic+ is just bad design, period.

The difficulty is far better in all paths of Fates. You can actually make a large team even on Conquest Lunatic without grinding.

Azuran

Banned
Oh, right! That's the big new thing with Pair Up... The enemy gets to do it, too!

Two enemies side by side are much more dangerous than ever in Fire Emblem. But you can cancel that advantage outright by using a Defensive pairing? That's the same as the pairing in Awakening, except the rear unit won't attack and won't gain EXP, right?

Yup that's right. I think they also gain more support points when they're paired up together, but don't quote me on that.

Impulsor

Just received my special edition yesterday and was not able to play. Will start with Hoshido side for my first playthrough.

Is there anything I should look out for that may be missable and is very important?

Draxal

Just received my special edition yesterday and was not able to play. Will start with Hoshido side for my first playthrough.

Is there anything I should look out for that may be missable and is very important?

Generic Bright Spoiler ahead.

There's a scripted death that can be avoided.

Okay so I messed around with pairing in Birthright and married off Silas/Hana, Takumi,Kagero, Rankeh/Kaze, and finally Saizo/Oboro. Hopefully the kids inherit some good skills off them

Fawk Nin

Just downloaded this game this morning, can't wait for work to finish to get into it.

Quick stupid question: I got the free theme with it but it says I have to enter the code from within the software. Can't seem to find out how to do this, would anyone know? Thanks.

-GJ-

Alright, so I'm not new to the series, had a lot of fun with Awakening, but something I never understood was the pair-up system and the whole marriage thing. You guys seem to know a lot about who fits best with who etc, and when I look around I keep reading things like "it's obvious you should pair up X with Y to get the stats of both blabla". The thing is; I have absolutely no idea who belongs with who, and how to see it. I finished Awakening on Normal and played about half of it on Hard without really doing a lot of the marriage/kid stuff, but I really want to understand it.

About the pair-up thing. Why would I do that? If I put two characters next to each other they help each other too and I get an extra turn as a bonus. I know in Fates they build up some protection over time if you pair two people up, but you don't really have control over when you want to block the next attack, so it could be used on a very weak attack that didn't really need to be blocked, so I don't really see the value in that in favor of being able to attack with an extra character.

azyless

Just downloaded this game this morning, can't wait for work to finish to get into it.

Quick stupid question: I got the free theme with it but it says I have to enter the code from within the software. Can't seem to find out how to do this, would anyone know? Thanks.

It's on the receipt from the eshop

Top Bottom