• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Shinypogs

Alright, so I'm not new to the series, had a lot of fun with Awakening, but something I never understood was the pair-up system and the whole marriage thing. You guys seem to know a lot about who fits best with who etc, and when I look around I keep reading things like "it's obvious you should pair up X with Y to get the stats of both blabla". The thing is; I have absolutely no idea who belongs with who, and how to see it. I finished Awakening on Normal and played about half of it on Hard without really doing a lot of the marriage/kid stuff, but I really want to understand it.

About the pair-up thing. Why would I do that? If I put two characters next to each other they help each other too and I get an extra turn as a bonus. I know in Fates they build up some protection over time if you pair two people up, but you don't really have control over when you want to block the next attack, so it could be used on a very weak attack that didn't really need to be blocked, so I don't really see the value in that in favor of being able to attack with an extra character.

While it is possible to do no pairup runs it gets much more difficult and your units end up at risk more often. Having an extra attacker is often not worth the extra damage you will start taking when the enemy is dual striking you regularly. I've found most people keep units in attack stance in the early parts of all three games to spread out the exp and get in more damage then move to pairups as the game progresses and it becomes more advantageous to take less damage. Also you can track how your shield gauge is filling up when paired and use it strategically to bait out attacks from more dangerous targets. Again it is up to you how you want to play though so do what makes you happy.

As for what pairup up gives you
http://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/hoshidan-characters/pair-up-stats/
You can access info on all the other versions easily from there, also there is a link to the page with the bonuses you get from each class so you can see what your total gains from a pairup will be.

There will be many many debates on who the most optimal marriage pairings are in each version and depending on if you only care about the parents themselves or if you want to optimize the resulting kid.

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=61534 the browser based app discussed in the link can be really helpful when planning for a kid though it is not perfect.

Hope this helps.

woopWOOP

I'm really underestimating the enemy's partner-up strengths in Fates.
Playing hard mode, classic with no resets and I've lost Kaze, the butler and the old man on the horse already. And I just now got to make my Conquest side decision, lmao

Chrom

Yeah I have the code, but when I try to use it it says I have to enter it from within the fire emblem game. Not sure where to do that??

At the Dragon Gate after Ch6.

It was always my understanding that Nintendo 3DS themes are supposed to be redeemed through the Theme Shop (accessed via the Home Menu), not anywhere else. Do you really need to do it from within the actual game? That doesn't sound right to me, I think there must be a misunderstanding somewhere.

Playing hard mode, classic with no resets and I've lost Kaze, the butler and the old man on the horse already. And I just now got to make my Conquest side decision, lmao
I cannot count the amount of times I didn't account for the AI being smart enough to place one enemy close enough to ensure the next guy who came up to attack would result in a support attack which killed my character.

Anyone you lose before Chapter 7 comes back.

azyless

Yeah I have the code, but when I try to use it it says I have to enter it from within the fire emblem game. Not sure where to do that??
I redeemed it just fine from the theme shop this morning, hadn't even launched the game yet, so if you've tried that I don't know what to tell you.

BlackJace

These fucking ninja good lord. The literal hallway of death on Kagero's side cripples even my best tanks due to poison strike, and that fucker with a spy's shuriken.

Doesn't help that I can't even dream to best
Ryoma
without the Dragon Vein.

Any tips?

BlueEyedBeast

Neo Member
So, just a quick question? I'm very, very familiar with Fire Emblem games in general. Starting with Birthright, should I go with normal or hard?

If you're going Birthright and have some experience with the series, Hard will be a good fit. It has enough challenge to test your skills, and is a bit more forgiving since you need some time to get used to the new classes and battle systems.

McNum

Heh, this is just so typical of me... I'm looking at all the options for character creation and I just tilt.

I think I want +Speed, since Speed is awesome no matter what class you have. But I don't actually know what stats the main character classes need, or which class to pick as the secondary. I'm thinking for a Birthright game, I should pick a Nohrian class, like Cavalier or Mercenary. Preferably one that can use swords, since I expect Yato to be awesome.

Is Luck important? Does the main character need Magic? Also, a tangent, the character name will be visible to anyone who visits My Castle, which can happen at random, right?

E-flux

I got the Conquest version today, i don't like it at all how they split the game. When i got to chapter 6 it felt like they just wanted to grab some extra money from my pockets if i actually wanted to make a choice. It would have been so much better if there wasn't a choice that prompted you to go launch the 3ds store if you wanted to change sides.

The game seems fun and honestly, at this point the translation isn't as bad as people have led me to believe, seems to be on par with Awakening.

Shahadan

My fucking god that writing, it really hurts. Can't tolerate that shit-tier anime bullcrap anymore. And the artstyle is somehow even uglier than in awakening.

NSESN

I'm planning to play Revelations in august (thanks olympics for the 1 month vacation), should I play lunatic casual or hard classic?

Sölf

Alright, started out on Hard/Classic, choose Hoshido for the first playthrough and just reached chapter 7. Died thrice (as in, someone died xD) before, once in C3 and once in C4 and once in C5. I realized pretty soon that my guys can't tank more than 1 or 2 enemies so far - and I didn't realize the C5 enemies were THAT strong... xD

Anyways, the chapters themself are easier compared to Awakening, but also more interesting already. One question though, what exactly are these bonus items I got for placing more pathways (or whatever it is in english) I got in My Castle? There were several I could all unlock, but I didn't realize why they were there. I got all of them but didn't use them so far.

MLH

I'm going into this game almost entirely blind, so it's my first time really looking & listening to the game. I'm really impressed with the improvements to battle scenes; the camera now zooms in and the area is enlarged becoming an accurate representation (walls in the correct place), unlike in awakening where a forest was just a generic forest or indoors was just the same scene regardless of where you are in the building, it's a really nice touch.
The music has also been incredible so far, really like it.

So far the game really feels like a step up in production values, clearly a lot of love and effort has really gone into this game.

Azuran

Banned
These fucking ninja good lord. The literal hallway of death on Kagero's side cripples even my best tanks due to poison strike, and that fucker with a spy's shuriken.

Doesn't help that I can't even dream to best
Ryoma
without the Dragon Vein.

Any tips?

You can use a entrap staff to easily get rid of the two spy's shuriken ninjas in that section.

Draxal

Oh I see. Good to know. Yeah I've finished both of those.
Also, oh my god the writing in Birthright so far has been abysmal. Does it get better or is this just the case in Birthright only?

I can generally deal with bad writing due to liking the fire emblem gameplay, but this is jarringly bad.

Birthright has the best story of the three, you can also drop down difficulties, so it's recommended to play lunatic if you're capable of doing so.

Nohar

Keep in mind that you won't play these games for their stories (sadly). It is decent at best, awfully dull and cliche at worst (as far as Birthright is concerned anyway).
Do note that cliche doesn't always mean "bad": most Fire Emblem have rather cliche stories, but these can be well executed.

Back to Birthright: yup, on Hard/Classic, the difficulty is definitly a yo-yo. You can have 3 to 4 very easy maps, immediatly followed by some in which the first few turns can be a nightmare depending on your team (but usually afterwards it becomes easier). Enemies partering-up can quickly lead to an unexpected violent death. Always be wary when there are multiple enemies, and don't hesitate to adopt the defensive stance by stacking units (stacked units are protected from dual attacks and you get a 100% blocked attack guarantee after a few turns of combat).

McNum

Bwahaha, wow the first five chapters do not mess around.

(Up to chapter 6 spoilers)
Look at all these likable characters with amusing, cool or adorable catchphrases. Now look at these other likable characters... and Takumi. Look at how you got your own mother killed, don't you feel you owe them?

Now.... CHOOSE! Who lives and who dies?! And we won't give you a third option yet!

Honestly, the choice comes down to Elise's adorable "Hyaay!" exclamation or joining the extremely obvious good guys. Sorry, Elise... the Nohr run is next time.

Draxal

That is like the last thing I wanted to hear.

Yeah but I'm definitely not expecting deep, intricate and refreshing writing or anything from FE games. Fire Emblem stories in general are indeed quite cliche, but they can be enjoyable as long as the dialogue flows well and the trope-y characters are at the very least likeable. I quite liked the story in both FE7 and PoR, despite the obvious story cliches and cliche characters. Birthright, at least so far, isn't managing to do any of that. The character dialogue feels weird and disjointed (I can't really explain that well. Like, a lot of redundant text and it just doesn't flow well) and so far the main cast is dull so far.

I just hope it improves over time, because it starts out really poorly.

How far you into Birthright? The first five chapters are shared and they do suffer from pacing issues as they try to cram both Birthright's and Conquest's casts into you for the turning point.

They got rid of the narrator (well he comes back for the dlc) so all the characters turn into exposition bots which is a problem shared by all three games (and Awakening before it). However Birthright's plot makes coherent sense while Conquest's story is .... welp I don't know what to say about it. Revelation's mid/late game just didn't work for me.

NSESN

Bwahaha, wow the first five chapters do not mess around.

(Up to chapter 6 spoilers)
Look at all these likable characters with amusing, cool or adorable catchphrases. Now look at these other likable characters... and Takumi. Look at how you got your own mother killed, don't you feel you owe them?

Now.... CHOOSE! Who lives and who dies?! And we won't give you a third option yet!

Honestly, the choice comes down to Elise's adorable "Hyaay!" exclamation or joining the extremely obvious good guys. Sorry, Elise... the Nohr run is next time.

Conquest spoilers
The Nohr siblings aren't bad guys

McNum

Conquest spoilers
The Nohr siblings aren't bad guys
(Chapter 6 spoilers)
Not surprising at all. They seem like genuinely nice people. Which is why the choice is so cruel. They're both have many points in favor of joining them. And no matter who you join, it feels awful to not join the others. I don't know how well the game is written after this, yet, but this part was awesome.

Azuran

Banned
That is like the last thing I wanted to hear.

Yeah but I'm definitely not expecting deep, intricate and refreshing writing or anything from FE games. Fire Emblem stories in general are indeed quite cliche, but they can be enjoyable as long as the dialogue flows well and the trope-y characters are at the very least likeable. I quite liked the story in both FE7 and PoR, despite the obvious story cliches and cliche characters. Birthright, at least so far, isn't managing to do any of that. The character dialogue feels weird and disjointed (I can't really explain that well. Like, a lot of redundant text and it just doesn't flow well) and so far the main cast is dull so far.

I just hope it improves over time, because it starts out really poorly.

You haven't seen anything yet. Just wait till Conquest.

Draxal

Oh my god why do I love
Rinkah
's design so, so, so much?!

EDIT:

I am at Chapter 6. Should at least slightly improve now.

Yeah Birthright only starts with chapter 6 and Chapter 6 has little variations between all three games.

It's basically 1-5 shared prologue, 6 = intro chapter to each path but they're pretty close in all three games. Once you get to this point you can start from chapter 6 in all subsequent playthroughs.

McNum

If you choose to start from the branching point, do you get to make a new avatar, anyway? I want to play through the game with both a male and a female avatar, and since there are three games, it'll be nice not to do Prologue to 6 for every new avatar.

Nohar

I could make at least 6 great looking female avatars with the options they give you, but man do the options for the guys suck

Sadly true.

If you choose to start from the branching point, do you get to make a new avatar, anyway? I want to play through the game with both a male and a female avatar, and since there are three games, it'll be nice not to do Prologue to 6 for every new avatar.

You can make a "new" avatar, yes. That is, you can change his/her looks, Boon and Bane, and alternate class. However, your avatar and other units you used up until chapter 6 will keep their levels (including currently earned EXP) and stats.

McNum

You can make a "new" avatar, yes. That is, you can change his/her looks, Boon and Bane, and alternate class. However, your avatar and other units you used up until chapter 6 will keep their levels (including currently earned EXP) and stats.
Eh, good enough for me. I had okay rolls on the stats. But I probably will replay it with a female avatar, just to see the alternate dialogue and hear the "Big sister!" voice clips that are surely there.

Can I choose to keep the current avatar, name, appearance and all?

Nohar

Eh, good enough for me. I had okay rolls on the stats. But I probably will replay it with a female avatar, just to see the alternate dialogue and hear the "Big sister!" voice clips that are surely there.

Can I choose to keep the current avatar, name, appearance and all?

Yes. By default, when you choose the branching point, you will have the exact same avatar you used during your first playthrough from chapter 1 to 6. You can then choose to modify whatever you like.

Draxal

All right, so Rinkah definitely doesn't start out strong. Is there any way to make her a good addition to the team? Does she get better over time?

She's bulk in an army that doesn't have any bulk, she can be used as a pair up bot, but she's also dependent on rng being favorable to her.

Nohar

All right, so Rinkah definitely doesn't start out strong. Is there any way to make her a good addition to the team? Does she get better over time?

Well, Rinkah is... kinda special, growth-wise:

She is like the nega-Warrior: she will have very high Defense and above average Speed, but her Strenght will be decent to good depending on how the RNG feels about you (partially mitigated by the fact that as long as she isn't full HP she deals +4 damage, for both physical and magical attacks). Also, her HP growth is atrocious (yes, despite being an axe wielder). Her Skill will be capped very early at 14 (yup, not joking here), but one of her promotions will grant a very big bonus (+7), while the other one gives her access to scrolls (though it is more interesting to stick her with the Thunder axe to deal with high Defense and low Resistance enemies which can't be exterminated with the Hammer). Also, her Resistance is pretty bad, so watch out for Magic users.
Her class skill allow you to debuff enemies' Resistance, so make sure to use her along Orochi. They make a great team.

Long story short: she is a perfectly usable unit, and since she will be your only axe wielder for a while, you may as well use her. Also, she will be able to use the Hammer. Believe me, you will love that Hammer.

I am trying so hard to make Rinkah work in Revelations. Even after immense grinding excursions on DLC maps (on Lunatic), there is basically nothing she can do that somebody else isn't already doing better.

It sucks.

I am trying so hard to make Rinkah work in Revelations. Even after immense grinding excursions on DLC maps (on Lunatic), there is basically nothing she can do that somebody else isn't already doing better.

It sucks.

Have her use magic, you'd be surprised at effective it is in general.

That being said yeah she's still totally discount Leo/Hayato in that case, nothing you can really do about that.

I was told she is like the worst character in the entire game by a mile and the best you can do is make her mediocre. That being said, I didn't know who Rinkah was when I read that, so now I'm just bummed out.

Haven't spoiled myself on much, but she's my favourite design by far from those I've seen. I'm determined to make her work somehow

I was told she is like the worst character in the entire game by a mile and the best you can do is make her mediocre. That being said, I didn't know who Rinkah was when I read that, so now I'm just bummed out.

I think Rinkah has pretty solid strength and skill stats, the only problem is that her health is abysmal which makes her tough to work with as an offensive unit compared to Oboro.

Azuran

Banned
I heard/read that Rinkah's pretty decent as a beserker?

All Axe users are decent as Berserkers since they gain access to the +20 critical bonus and Axefaire.

The problem is that you can't make Rinkah into one in Birthright because she only gets it by becoming besties with Charlotte or marrying Keaton which are Conquest/Revelation exclusive characters. There's also Corrin with that as secondary job, but no one ever picks that for him.

Top Bottom