• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Azuran

Banned
A friend of mine told me that her HP and Skill are both quite crippling
Same. She looks so good!
And is that not an option or something? Why would that be a problem in Birthright? I've been told you can grind, thus you can grind support as well.

Charlotte is not available in Birthright.

All Axe users are decent as Berserkers since they gain access to the +20 critical bonus and Axefaire.

The problem is that you can't make Rinkah into one in Birthright because she only gets it by becoming besties with Charlotte or marrying Keaton which are Conquest/Revelation exclusive. I know there's also Corrin but no one ever selects that class as a secondary for him.

I planned to marry my avatar to her when I first saw her design anyway. And this is the first time I'm hearing of secondary classes, so I don't think I'll feel like I'm missing out if I go with fighter

Azuran

Banned
Right, I misread that. Well...fuck. What would be a decent alternative?

She's not bad as an Oni Chieftain considering she's one of the few Axe users you get in Birthright. She may have trouble killing in the early game, but she's still decent and is quite bulky in a game that lacks units like that. She also gains magic which is great against high DEF/Low RES classes like Generals.

Lynx_7

All right, cool, I'll make it work. Thank you.

I have one last question and this might be a bit spoiler heavy, so I really only need a yes or no answer and nothing else.
Is the story structure better than "Birthright neutral, nohr evil, revelation good?

No. There aren't really any spoilers here but since you asked, just in case:
Haven't played Revelations yet, but Hoshido is pretty clearly painted as "the good nation" while Nohr has a bunch of good characters in it but they're ruled by the worst excuse of a villain this franchise has ever seen which ruins any attempt of a morally ambiguous conflict. Birthright is a straightforward fight against the evil empire and Conquest is a bunch of contrived logic leaps. For whatever it's worth, I still think Conquest has better individual moments than Birthright despite being a mess of a plot overall and the cast is definetely stronger as far as characterization is concerned.

No no no, that would be Odin.

That's a funny way of spelling Nyx!

Moonlight

Banned
I was told she is like the worst character in the entire game by a mile and the best you can do is make her mediocre. That being said, I didn't know who Rinkah was when I read that, so now I'm just bummed out.
Rinkah is not good, but she's not the worst character in the game, certainly not by a mile.

Lynx_7

All these conflicting opinions!

So what would an ideal team in Birthright be?

The siblings are staying in though

Ryoma and a wife, Corrin and a wife/husband. That's all you'll ever need, really.

Edit: Alright, I'll elaborate a bit further

Oboro, Kaze and Saizo are all pretty good and probably your better non-Ryoma/Corrin units.
Takumi is also strong but has speed issues so you'll need to invest some speedwings, tonics, food and supports to fix that.
Sakura is your staff user so it's always nice to have her.
Azura is your best support unit because of her dance, so also keep her.
Felicia with a Flame Shuriken is a pretty good glass cannon but do be aware of the fact she'll die in one or 2 hits at best.
Kagero starts out good but in my experience her usefulness drops later on. Still a great pair-up bot for Ryoma though.
Kaden is strong, fast and a good mage killer, but his defense is bad and while he is theoretically good at dodging, dodge-tanking in Fates is unreliable at best and he also lacks 2-range. Still worthwhile to keep around.
Hinoka is underwhelming. I tried to make her work but other units already do whatever she can do but better. She's not terrible and you can give her a staff after promotion I guess.

Shinypogs

Why must the my castle function be region locked. I want to shower the European players with accessories.

In other news I'm making slow but steady progress towards unlocking the nosferatu tome battle bonus so I can use it in my lunatic birthright run. I also ran out of unit slots in my plans so that will be a no ryoma run. Sorry critlord lobster man you were fun last time but you don't get to play next time.

I actually think not using ryoma is going to add more challenge than lunatic itself given that birthright mostly just throws enemies at you instead of giving them skills for difficulty.

PK Gaming

All right, so Rinkah definitely doesn't start out strong. Is there any way to make her a good addition to the team? Does she get better over time?

You need to make a few concessions, such as giving her the Chapter 7 Seraph Robe, keeping her constantly fed on tonics, and pairing her up with characters that can boost her offense. Her durability's pretty solid, meaning she's good on the enemy phase, and as a Chieftan she can make decent use out of the Bolt Axe.

She has a rough start, but you can make her work with some elbow grease. Either that or just have her as a permanent pair up for stronger units.

Nohar

All these conflicting opinions!

So what would an ideal team in Birthright be?

The siblings are staying in though

You can't go wrong with the Ninjas. Master Ninjas are very deadly:
Kaze seems to be more focused on Speed and dodging. His Strenght was kinda lacking in my save.
Saizo is the most balanced of the Ninjas, and is very good overall.
Kagero will cap her Strenght very quickly. She is a force to be reckoned with. However, she has low Skill, nonexistent Magic and is rather frail.

Needless to say, all siblings are good. Hinoka's Strenght is a little low on my save, but she is nearly invulnerable against magic casters (and can dodge flyers easily).
Ryoma is broken. It is almost unfair to see how easy he can kill anyone. He is still a little fragile though, so you better hope he won't get hit to many times.
Takumi's unique bow and skill makes him simply deadly, not to mention he has a very high Skill score. Give him a spouse on the same level as him or higher, make them fight together, and glee while he chains critical hits one after another.
Sakura is a decent. Sadly, since she starts as a healer, she will have E rank in whatever new weapon she gains upon promoting, unless you change her class early. Her Strenght is actually alright, though Azama will be much better if you want a "battle cleric".

Azuran

Banned
Takumi is also strong but has speed issues so you'll need to invest some speedwings, tonics, food and supports to fix that.

No need for Speed when he crits every other battle. Takumi is the GOAT archer. Either way, also has a 55% Speed growth as a Sniper so it all depends on the RNG. Mine got blessed and was a killing machine.

Lynx_7

If you give Ryoma an S-support you straight up don't need to worry about him getting hit. If anything, having him slightly under half hp is actually beneficial since he'll always activate Vengeance which, coupled with crits, Astra, shield gauge and his stupidly high avoid rate to begin with makes him practically invincible. Give him a few concoctions just in case and he really doesn't need much else to sweep an entire army.

No need for Speed when he crits every other battle. Takumi is the GOAT archer. Either way, also has a 55% Speed growth as a Sniper so it all depends on the RNG. Mine got blessed and was a killing machine.

Mine needed everything he could get in order to double enemies. Still a very reliable unit and he does boast high crit rates (it's no Ophelia but hey).

Takumi's speed is fine for the most part, his problem is most others can eventually kill everything with 1-2 range while he's stuck with his bows.

Whizkid7

Mine too - he routinely kills anything in range that isn't melee usually in one shot. The only one who comes close to his level of crits is, coincidentally, Rinkah and her kid, Shiro (I really liked her and Ryoma's supports and SHIRO WITH WHITE HAIR SO AWESOME).

You can't go wrong with the Ninjas. Master Ninjas are very deadly:
Kaze seems to be more focused on Speed and dodging. His Strenght was kinda lacking in my save.
Saizo is the most balanced of the Ninjas, and is very good overall.
Kagero will cap her Strenght very quickly. She is a force to be reckoned with. However, she has low Skill, nonexistent Magic and is rather frail.

Needless to say, all siblings are good. Hinoka's Strenght is a little low on my save, but she is nearly invulnerable against magic casters (and can dodge flyers easily).
Ryoma is broken. It is almost unfair to see how easy he can kill anyone. He is still a little fragile though, so you better hope he won't get hit to many times.
Takumi's unique bow and skill makes him simply deadly, not to mention he has a very high Skill score. Give him a spouse on the same level as him or higher, make them fight together, and glee while he chains critical hits one after another.
Sakura is a decent. Sadly, since she starts as a healer, she will have E rank in whatever new weapon she gains upon promoting, unless you change her class early. Her Strenght is actually alright, though Azama will be much better if you want a "battle cleric".

Ryoma and a wife, Corrin and a wife/husband. That's all you'll ever need, really.

Edit: Alright, I'll elaborate a bit further

Oboro, Kaze and Saizo are all pretty good and probably your better non-Ryoma/Corrin units.
Sakura is your staff user so it's always nice to have her.
Azura is your best support unit because of her dance, so also keep her.
Felicia with a Flame Shuriken is a pretty good glass cannon but do be aware of the fact she'll die in one or 2 hits at best.
Kagero starts out good but in my experience her usefulness drops later on. Still a great pair-up bot for Ryoma though.
Kaden is strong, fast and a good mage killer, but his defense is bad and while he is theoretically good at dodging, dodge-tanking in Fates is unreliable at best and he also lacks 2-range. Still worthwhile to keep around.
Hinoka is underwhelming. I tried to make her work but other units already do whatever she can do but better. She's not terrible and you can give her a staff after promotion I guess.

Thanks guys :)

So excited to start playing this tomorrow! Will take these into account when choosing the master seals, priority etc.

Thanks guys :)

So excited to start playing this tomorrow! Will take these into account when choosing the master seals, priority etc.

I should point out that Felicia is actually ridiculously good against mages. She has pretty high resistance, has a weapon that has an advantage over tomes/scrolls, and she gets Shurikenbreaker at level 15. Don't be afraid to use her offensively in that regard.

When does that Camilla scene shown in the trailers happen? It would be nice if I could avoid it popping up whilst commuting to work tomorrow lol

I should point out that Felicia is actually ridiculously good against mages. She has pretty high resistance, has a weapon that has an advantage over tomes/scrolls, and she gets Shurikenbreaker at level 15. Don't be afraid to use her offensively in that regard.

Felicia was always gonna be on my team so that's an extra bonus ☺️

TheJoRu

Just finished Birthright Chapter 8. Have been really impressed with the presentation and the gameplay so far. All the changes to the support system makes a lot of sense, makes it a little more clear and also easier to predict outcomes of battles.

The feudal Japan-esque settings is very pleasing, there's something about the look of this game that appeals to me a lot more than Awakening. I can't quite put my finger on exactly what, they are very similar in a lot of ways. Some of it could be due to the music, which I'm really liking in this game. I have some hopes I won't tire of the OST like I did with Awakening's. That game had some great music, but it was hardly discrete, so after a while it grew old. The silly themes wanted to be really silly, the bombastic ones really bombastic etc. I don't feel the same about the music I've heard from this game so far, so we'll see what happens.

Translation's good, too. It's hard to get a grasp of all the characters that keep popping up, but there's some good writing here in between the standard anime tropes.

Sölf

So, after ~6 1/2 hours I am now in chapter 9. I did 2 optional battles as well as the first siege. The mssion design is so much better already compared to Awakening, thanks to Dragon Pulses. Those are pretty cool and I like how they interact with the battlefield.

I also thought "Well, I am now in chapter 7, let's do the first DLC map. How hard could it be?"
Fuck all those ninjas, I already hate them. Nope, not bothering with that one yet. Maybe after I beat 9 I give it another go. Srsly, that map is bullshit and Frederick is suicidal as fuck. xD

Sölf;204238200 said:
So, after ~6 1/2 hours I am now in chapter 9. I did 2 optional battles as well as the first siege. The mssion design is so much better already compared to Awakening, thanks to Dragon Pulses. Those are pretty cool and I like how they interact with the battlefield.

I also thought "Well, I am now in chapter 7, let's do the first DLC map. How hard could it be?"
Fuck all those ninjas, I already hate them. Nope, not bothering with that one yet. Maybe after I beat 9 I give it another go. Srsly, that map is bullshit and Frederick is suicidal as fuck. xD

Yeah, those Ninja's with lunge are really annoying. Depending on what version you're on, you can tank the ninjas with Ryomas or Xander. Corrin also works too(if you have a long-ranged weapon. The DLC will scale as you progress, so it'll get harder as you level up and get stronger. Frederick and Chrom aren't too useful in the DLC map though.

Sölf

Ah, they scale? Ok, I will keep that in mind. But still, I tried that one after or during C7. Even now I don't have access to Ryouma, so there's that. Will probably give it another go in 1-2 chapters. But I actually like that the DLC maps scale this time. Makes them viable throughout the whole game, not just at a specific level range, like the Awakening ones.

Azuran

Banned
Oh man Mitama has to rank up there as one of the best kids. Half of the stuff she says completely cracks me up and her support with Azama is absolutely hilarious.

Why did I wait until now to finally get her? I've been missing out on her for so long :/

Oh man Mitama has to rank up there as one of the best kids. Half of the stuff she says completely cracks me up and her support with Azama is absolutely hilarious.

Why did I wait until now to finally get her? I've been missing out on her for so long :/

She's pretty good. With a physical mother, she becomes better.

Mcdohl

About Revelations Chapter 26...

MRW with the whole flower on Scarlet and Gunter fiasco

Loving the game but they should really stop trying with a story.

NeonZ

All right, cool, I'll make it work. Thank you.

I have one last question and this might be a bit spoiler heavy, so I really only need a yes or no answer and nothing else.
Is the story structure better than "Birthright neutral, nohr evil, revelation good?

Technically, even though most people seem to dislike the Conquest path's story, the game does try to portray the ending and final results of Birthright and Conquest in a fairly balanced way. Revelation is outright portrayed as a good ending above them though, with a few token deaths randomly thrown in just to say that it's not a perfect path.

Azuran

Banned
Playing on Hard Casual. Spent far too long on the boon, bane and talent part. Hate locking those decisions in.

Always go luck for bane because it has the less benefits relative to the other stats. Luck is pretty much a dump stat in this game especially after it was nerfed.

Xenoflare

Always go luck for bane because it has the less benefits relative to the other stats. Luck is pretty much a dump stat in this game especially after it was nerfed.

To add to that, luck tonics, and most importantly Goddess Icons, offers +4 luck instead of +2 like the other stat boosters/tonics

Shinypogs

Hmm classic hard mode in Conquest maybe wasn't the best decision..

Aside from the hallway of hell ( you will know it when you get there) conquest on hard is challenging but satisfying. The harder modes on the other versions just do not pose a realistic threats to your units that often and the maps are less complex though revelations has a few really good ones. Are you doing classic as in dead is dead or classic as in death = reset?

Cleared my conquest hard classic file again, this time with no deaths during endgame. It doesn't feel as special as that first victory but not losing anyone this time was satisfying too.

I wish I could pit my teams from various runs against each other. Whether in an Ai battle or letting me control both sides it'd be great and a lot of fun.

Aside from the hallway of hell ( you will know it when you get there) conquest on hard is challenging but satisfying. The harder modes on the other versions just do not pose a realistic threats to your units that often and the maps are less complex though revelations has a few really good ones. Are you doing classic as in dead is dead or classic as in death = reset?

Cleared my conquest hard classic file again, this time with no deaths during endgame. It doesn't feel as special as that first victory but not losing anyone this time was satisfying too.

I wish I could pit my teams from various runs against each other. Whether in an Ai battle or letting me control both sides it'd be great and a lot of fun.

"a few" is right...wait...even then which ones are that?

Xenoflare

The Revelation battle prep theme grew on me, I knew I shat on that theme before lol

I really like that little tune of Rainbow Sage that creeps up midway

ZeroX03

Banned
Boy I'm sick of Azura's song already.

Doing Birthright, Conquest then Revelation, although I did want to skip right to the third one because that choice felt most natural.

Xenoflare

Boy I'm sick of Azura's song already.

Doing Birthright, Conquest then Revelation, although I did want to skip right to the third one because that choice felt most natural.

I checked my phone's play count and I have the song in both language played over 1000 times.

I might have a problem I'm still not tired of it

This doesn't count the derivatives like End of All

I spent over 100 hours on this song goddamn

Gambit

Man, I am making my choice right now and was determined to go Nohr (for the classic experience), but they very, very much look like the bad guys here.

Story-wise I'd go with Hoshido now, but ...

21x2

Needing to side with Nohr to actually get the classic Fire Emblem experince I wanted (and not the washed down version that made me despise Awakening) really, really sucks. I really don't feel any connection to the characters at the Nohr side and thay're clearly portrayed as the villains here...

Man, this made me not want to play the god damn thing. I've never put a Fire Emblem down after this few hours. We'll see if I get the motivation to pick it up again but that honestly sucks.

Kensuke

Starting my EU copy today probably. I've read up on the classes the male avatar can't get in Birthright. Mainly Dark Mage. Do you guys think it's worth it to pick it as a talent? Will I actually get the books to use it?

Top Bottom