• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Nbz

Any other classic FE fans really not like these new mechanics? Getting my head around this new weapon triangle is so difficult, and the changes to weapons (like steel swords cutting your speed drastically) are super pissing me off

Nohar

Any other classic FE fans really not like these new mechanics? Getting my head around this new weapon triangle is so difficult, and the changes to weapons (like steel swords cutting your speed drastically) are super pissing me off

Weapons are no longer breakable. Thus, they added new mechanics to counterbalance that change. Frankly, I welcome that change: less micro-management when it comes to weapons. Besides, previous Fire Emblem already had mechanics which would diminish your Speed stat depending on your unit's Build compared to the weapon's weight (GBA FE games) or their Strenght stat compared to the weapon's weight (Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn). At least no unit is crippled by not having high enough Build or Strenght to wield weapons effeciently now (looking at you Isadora and Nino; also Sanaki until her Strenght stat catches up).
The new weapon triangle isn't confusing. You just need to memorize it. Write it on a post-it if that helps: you will know it perfectly after a couple battles (it really isn't that difficult to memorize). Sword/Tome > Axe/Bow > Spear/Shurikens. It is not that complicated.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
It's a welcome change for me since I get to use a variety of weapons and almost everything is viable.

Shinypogs

Starting my EU copy today probably. I've read up on the classes the male avatar can't get in Birthright. Mainly Dark Mage. Do you guys think it's worth it to pick it as a talent? Will I actually get the books to use it?

The only dark magic in fates is nosferatu and in birthright the only way to get that tome is via the my castle battle point rewards. Its 1350 points however so you will be doing a lot of castle battle grinding to get it. That said a dark mage into sorc or dark knight is perfectly viable in birthright since you can use all the hoshidan scrolls which are quite good.

Ugh, on chapter 15 of Birthright. No one is able to hit these fuckers. Maybe I should just camp out near the bottom until reinforcements are finished?

Boy I'm sick of Azura's song already.

Doing Birthright, Conquest then Revelation, although I did want to skip right to the third one because that choice felt most natural.

Yeah the song sucks. It's funny because the composer and the dev team must think they have this amazing impactful piece by how heavily it's used.

Needing to side with Nohr to actually get the classic Fire Emblem experince I wanted (and not the washed down version that made me despise Awakening) really, really sucks. I really don't feel any connection to the characters at the Nohr side and thay're clearly portrayed as the villains here...

Man, this made me not want to play the god damn thing. I've never put a Fire Emblem down after this few hours. We'll see if I get the motivation to pick it up again but that honestly sucks.

Nohr may be the 'bad' faction, but the Hoshido side-exclusives mostly have the personality of diluted oatmeal. So in regards to connections to the characters... I'm gonna say you actually went with the better side.

McNum

Hmm, I got a feedback that someone had fought in my castle, but I didn't set up a defensive team. Actually, I haven't been able to find out where to set up a defensive team. Or change my tagline on that card.

I like My Castle, but I'm not a fan of having the options spread out in several menus in several places. Yes, Felicia is cute, but find out what's a Felicia thing and what's a crystal ball thing is hard. Where do I change those things?

Xenoflare

Hmm, I got a feedback that someone had fought in my castle, but I didn't set up a defensive team. Actually, I haven't been able to find out where to set up a defensive team. Or change my tagline on that card.

I like My Castle, but I'm not a fan of having the options spread out in several menus in several places. Yes, Felicia is cute, but find out what's a Felicia thing and what's a crystal ball thing is hard. Where do I change those things?

Check the crystal orb and click streetpass teams, the castle setting is in there.

aravuus

So, since the EU release is finally here, are the story/characters/everything related really that bad in these games? Doubt the (probably neat) SRPG gameplay alone would keep me interested for very long.

So, since the EU release is finally here, are the story/characters/everything related really that bad in these games? Doubt the (probably neat) SRPG gameplay alone would keep me interested for very long.

Some characters are actually pretty good and well developed.

Birthright's story is pretty much a standard 'Good country fights back and defeats evil warmongering country' Fire Emblem plot. Nothing special is done in that regard except the Main Character has family s/he cares about in the warmongering country.

Both Conquest and Revelation's plots go off the deep end in stupid.

Playing FE for the plot is like playing Street Fighter for the story, lol. Just enjoy the sweet gameplay. Characters are pretty similar to SF in the sense that they don't really get development (outside of the royals), so you only get to understand them from their voice clips. You get support convos but 80 percent of them are garbage.

McNum

I am enjoying the infinite weapons, it's pretty nice to actually not care if my Felicia does a double 0 damage attack on the boss, because that wasn't the point of making her attack. I'm not wasting "ammo", but I am debuffing the boss. Classes that focus on debuffs is a great addition to the game, by the way. And I bet I'm going to regret saying that as soon as I run into an army of enemy ninja.

The Hoshido side supports amuse me a little, if only because of how it's supposed to be the good side, but so far my Avatar has been feeling... less than welcome. I mean, Rinkah was always going to be mean, but I didn't expect Hana to be. So, it's apparently the "Let's hate the new guy!" day. I bet Takuma invented that.

Also, just a quick confirm/deny here: Mozu. Villager. My Fire Emblem sense tells me she's going to become an unstoppable god of carnage and destruction. Is she?

Nohar

Started playing today, think i'm gonna go with Conquest first. Is Samurai +strenght -magic good for Nohr?

Careful: Corrin's attack
in dragon form
use the Magic stat to determine how much damage you will deal. Also, Corrin will be able to use Tomes upon promoting.

Pretty much everyone says that you should pick Luck as your bane.

Are they at least stupid in an entertaining way? Like, it's fun to follow just to see how dumb things can get in a "so bad it's good" sorta way.

Conquest has some of that 'entertain in the raw stupidity' sense.

Revelation's plot is just a big pile of blah.

PK Gaming

Started playing today, think i'm gonna go with Conquest first. Is Samurai +strenght -magic good for Nohr?

Not good because the Levin Sword/Bolt Axe is one of Corrin's best weapons and that runs off their Magic stat.

Most of the time, -Luk is the best bane. You should be wary of using -Magic because that lowers your Speed and Res growths on top of killing your Magic as well). You should only ever run -Magic on pure Swordmaster builds in Birthright since the Levin Sword isn't usable there.

aravuus

Playing FE for the plot is like playing Street Fighter for the story, lol. Just enjoy the sweet gameplay. Characters are pretty similar to SF in the sense that they don't really get development (outside of the royals), so you only get to understand them from their voice clips. You get support convos but 80 percent of them are garbage.

Maybe, but Awakening was entertaining enough to keep me interested.

Think I'm gonna get Birthright sometime soon. Been a while since I've played a proper good SRPG.

Boy I'm sick of Azura's song already.

Doing Birthright, Conquest then Revelation, although I did want to skip right to the third one because that choice felt most natural.
What, tired of hearing about the ocean's gray waves? :p
-magic is fine if you're not planning on using magic at all (including the dragonstone), otherwise do -luck.

eShop download taking forever
IiPqDp7.gif

Nohar

Well, I managed to recruit Ryoma's kid... Thank [insert favorite deity here] for Rescue staves. Man, that scaling is brutal.

Rodin

Ok thanks for the help guys, gonna start again with -luck instead of -magic and keep +strenght. What are the best stats for a Cavalier Corrin in Birthright?

Chapter 5 is
not easy if Azura gets killed, but with her i can get two strikes from Corrin and annihilate the enemies with wyrmslayer. Aside from that, i'm starting to root for Hoshido (especially after Nohr killed Mikoto), but i still think i'll go with Conquest first as i keep reading it's the better game. Garon is absolutely evil though lol.

azura/aqua song is overrated :^)
It's beautiful!

21x2

Sure, but it's one thing when it's dull enough to not cause any damage. Actively disliking the characters and motivations really demotivates my will to play (especially when the gameplay still isn't as sweet as in the GBA era).

L95

Sure, but it's one thing when it's dull enough to not cause any damage. Actively disliking the characters and motivations really demotivates my will to play (especially when the gameplay still isn't as sweet as in the GBA era).

Yep, I don't have an issue with serviceable stories, but this game dipped the story to the point it affected my motivation to play. It's a very rare occurrence for me... :c

Draxal

Yep, I don't have an issue with serviceable stories, but this game dipped the story to the point it affected my motivation to play. It's a very rare occurrence for me... :c

Awakening's the bare minimum I need, I was content with that one. While I do enjoy some cast members in this one, it's really um bad package overall.

Azuran

Banned

Thankfully the gameplay is so amazing in Conquest that I never felt like that. The rush you get from completing one of those chapter after failing for a bit is all I needed for motivation.

Except for everything in Chapter 19. I actually wanted to drop the game for good during that. Screw that chapter.

demonkaze

I just cannot get past Chapter 12 Conquest on Hard after so many tries. What lvl should I be around this point, worth grinding the exp map a bit?

Azuran

Banned
I just cannot get past Chapter 12 Conquest on Hard after so many tries. What lvl should I be around this point, worth grinding the exp map a bit?

You have to use the pots to your advantage. If I recall correctly, one of the first pots around Corrin gives +4 DEF so make sure you surround it with some of your units before breaking it so they all get the bonus.

Use Effie to try and tank Saizo's attacks and then use a bow user like Niles to finish him off. Kaze is also useful to debuff him a bit.

Once I make it into the hall, I just break every pot using a Dragon Vein so every enemy gets debuffed or poisoned. Also be aware that only Corrin is the only unit allowed to escape in this chapter.

You should be able to beat every chapter without using the DLC unless you're trying to level up everyone which is just going to hurt you in the long run.

Nohar

Chapter 26 Hoshido (beginning):

Well, Elise best character confirmed.
She actually knows Rohan (unlike every Hoshido sibling), making their relationship seems real (, she is smart for her age, she is pro-active (well, as much as someone so young can be), and seems to be one of the few Nohr character smart enough to want to stop the bloodshed.
So, of course, she had to be sacrificed. Mrgrgr. At least, for once, the story is effective.

Conquest is difficult on a first playthrough, but this game is designed to be beatable without grinding. Grinding won't solve your issues anyway because the map layout and enemy skills force you to use certain strategies.

Ryoma's stats look scary, but you can actually defeat him on this map! He gives good EXP and a Secret Book, so I recommend doing it (after you get the chests). It is a doable task even on Lunatic, but I only felt confident about it on later playthroughs.

TheJoRu

Was playing Birthright Chapter 9, pretty easy stuff (I'm playing on Hard/Classic). Near the end I had a big crew of units I just wanted to push forwards closer to the boss, so I chose auto-battle for one turn, expecting the game to just move all of them closer without engaging. Little did I know it would send the only character close to enemies right into a huge cluster of them all alone, getting him killed in the process (= reset).

Should've known "Guard" wasn't a purely defensive mode, but man...that sucked. Won't try to be lazy again, that's for sure.

McNum

So, how does support building work in this game, exactly? It looks similar to Awakening, but I'm not entirely sure. I mean it has the hearts pop up and all. In Awakening, it was something like three hearts meant you gained one point. Less then three was wasted at the end of a map.

How's the fastest way to build it? A defensive pair up or tag teaming side by side?

I'm so glad the hubba hubba tester is back, and so early this time, I love how he said my character is basically ready to fuck, wouldnt expect that in a nintendo game haha
20ef99405c.jpg

my loins, they are afire

NeonZ

I'm so glad the hubba hubba tester is back, and so early this time, I love how he said my character is basically ready to fuck, wouldnt expect that in a nintendo game haha
I don't like how this time the guest/captured characters aren't options there. I mostly used it for them in Awakening since they had no actual interactions so it becomes pretty pointless when it's only usable for characters that can actually talk.

Tiki_Tiki_zpsqa9scsd6.jpg

Edit: Also, only noticed now that the dragon tiara accessory in Fates is actually the one from Shadow Dragon Tiki, rather than Awakening. But I guess it makes sense considering how it comes from Marth.

delume

This is my first Fire Emblem, I'm on the Birthright path (ninjas!) and at chapter 8. Am I still in the tutorial part of the game? I ask because there are so many system I don't fully understand. I'll start with a simple one, should I be actively purchasing and optimsing weapons for each character? Basically I play a chapter, go to all challenges/paralogues, check all the exclamation points at my castle, chat between characters that can and then repeat. Is this the gameplay loop or am I missing something? Loving the battles so far (and really enjoy using the 3DSXL.)

Sooo I'm not sure what the difference is between pairing up and just having characters standing next to one another? Why should I choose one strategy over the other?

Also, are there characters in Birthright that I should refrain from using because they are already in promoted form and shouldn't hog exp, like Marcus in FE GBA?

Top Bottom