• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

woopWOOP

I just remembered I have a Marth amiibo I could use with this game, but I only have a 3DS XL...

So I just went out and bought a NFC reader just so I can scan in this dumb figurine into my game 8D
(both also work with my Codename STEAM so there's multiple uses atleast!)

NeonZ

I just remembered I have a Marth amiibo I could use with this game, but I only have a 3DS XL...

So I just went out and bought a NFC reader just so I can scan in this dumb figurine into my game 8D
(both also work with my Codename STEAM so there's multiple uses atleast!)

Marth’s Spatha (the special weapon he makes available in the weapon store) is pretty good, although costly. 9 str weapon with no disadvantages (well, aside from 75 hit)... but it costs 3000 gold. It can be forged too.

...no it isn't

Most of the best classes work well in either route, if anything the one class that isn't the case is the magic Paladin build due to no Levin Sword in Birthright, but that's the opposite because it's better in Conquest.

My apologies then, I've mostly only seen people suggest picking up things from the opposite route, did not mean to pass on faulty information. I will also note that I have seen the magic paladin build referenced a lot for both routes since you can get the bolt Naginata on the Hoshido side to make up for no levin sword. Again deeply sorry for my mistake.

Picking a class from the opposite route is generally recommended because you can get most classes from your own route through supports. That's a very blanket statement though, since some classes can be available in both routes due to neutral characters, but even that will depend on the gender of your avatar, and some classes won't be available through supports even in the main route (For example, if you have a Male Corrin in Hoshido the only way to get the oni chieftain branch aside from the initial talent is S ranking Rinka).

Either way, that's not really a general efficiency choice, or even for grinding, it's just for people who want a Corrin with access to as many classes as possible.

Nohar

Out of curiosity: do you use Streetpass/Online bonuses (free weapons notably), or do you avoid them (for a Conquest run)? What is your philosophy on that regard? What about forging weapons?

Either way, that's not really a general efficiency choice, or even for grinding, it's just for people who want a Corrin with access to as many classes as possible.

except for the part where trying to do this on anything other than Revelation is pointless

Shinypogs

Out of curiosity: do you use Streetpass/Online bonuses (free weapons notably), or do you avoid them (for a Conquest run)? What is your philosophy on that regard? What about forging weapons?

I forged a +3 javelin for Effie in my recent hard conquest run and I used the my castle visit and battle bonus items as needed but did not rely on them. My master ninja Avatar has 92 avoid when she has the Kagero's dart equipped, fuck yes I will use that shit.. I have seen some people do runs where they use no pairup, no child chars, no my castle stuff and only the stat boosters you get via the campaign. I think it's a cool way to challenge yourself but it's not the only way to play by any means and I don't judge people based on how they think they will have the most fun.

I also liked forging weapons in some of my previous runs because I could give them silly names and it;s the little things that bring me joy.

Nohar

I also liked forging weapons in some of my previous runs because I could give them silly names and it;s the little things that bring me joy.

Heh, I like to do that too. Usually I give Fire Emblem characters' names to my weapons. Kinda cliche, but it makes me smile.

Azuran

Banned

If it's the game I use them no matter how I got them. Dual weapons are great in the early game when characters are stuck with only one weapon type.

BowieZ

Banned
Dafuq. I just got to the end of a really terrible battle (my fault) (EDIT: Chapter 13) with one guy left and the last couple of enemies just stopped trying to kill me.

Is this a side effect of playing the non-Classic mode on Normal difficulty?

It's a bit too easy no? Way to make me feel incompetent! Also, the game didn't Game Over when my avatar got killed at the end. I'm pretty sure that's different to Awakening?

Yam's

I'm currently on chapter 9 on the Hoshido side and the game seems really easy so far (playing on normal). I didn't dare starting a hard mode run as I'm not familiar enough with all the gameplay concepts, however the lack of any challenge is starting to concern me.

For people who have finished Birthright on normal, does the game end up offering some challenge? Or is this game meant to be the easy one?

Also is Conquest on the same level difficulty wise on normal difficulty, or would it be worth starting it on hard once I'm done with Birthright and more familiar with the mechanics of the game?

I'm currently on chapter 9 on the Hoshido side and the game seems really easy so far (playing on normal). I didn't dare starting a hard mode run as I'm not familiar enough with all the gameplay concepts, however the lack of any challenge is starting to concern me.

For people who have finished Birthright on normal, does the game end up offering some challenge? Or is this game meant to be the easy one?

Also is Conquest on the same level difficulty wise on normal difficulty, or would it be worth starting it on hard once I'm done with Birthright and more familiar with the mechanics of the game?
Conquest on normal is a "decent" challenge.
On Hard it's pretty damn hard. In fact if your new to the games chapter 10 could make you switch to Normal Diffculty.
Brithright stays easy throughout, even Hard is easy, but I'm speaking as someone who's played every Western FE game.

Nohar

I played Hard/Classic on Birthright, and I found the game to be rather easy, with a few notable difficulty spikes here and there. On Hard, you will face the early game hell, until you build a decent team. After that, you will find yourself having some trouble until you manage to promote most of your units. Then, it becomes a breeze again, but once you reach the final chapters you will notice that the game becomes much more difficult, with enemies perfectly able to kill your characters in 2 hits, and in which you will have to be extra careful with how you position your units (personal advice: be sure to have some units able to tank, personal favorites are
Oboro (with the Guard Naginata), Ryoma's son Shiro and Reikah, though you may need to give her items to boost her terrible HP, Orochi can usually tank magical attacks, and your Corrin may be able to withstand a few attacks with the correct dragonstone, assuming you didn't pick Defense or Resistance as their bane
). You will also loathe balistas and those DAMNED TACTICIAN WITH THEIR TRAP STAVES!... *ahem*
Don't hesitate to use the restaurant to boost your unit's stats.

In short: Birthright's difficulty is a yo-yo. Some maps will be downright tedious (special mention to the
lava map
- it wasn't even that dangerous, just plain annoying).

Also, where in doubt: use Ryoma. You can't go wrong with Ryoma. Ryoma is hapiness. Ryoma is life. Ryoma is hair. I'm pretty sure Ryoma and Ganondorf use the same shampoo.

Conquest, chapter 7:
... Urg. This is both pretty entertaining and cringe-worthy. I really hope the siblings will quickly rebel against the king in that route, especially after acting so blatantly stupid evil in front of them (this is beyond cliché: this is just bad writing). At least Xander seems to realize his father has completly lost his marbles.

Yam's

Thank you both for your answers. I'll stick with normal and see whether I'm confident enough for hard mode once I start Conquest. That being said if it offers a decent challenge on normal, that would be enough for me. Also I forgot you can ease the difficulty later on so that's good.

While reading your tips Nohar I realized I missed some stuff right from the go (giving items to boost stats, bane where I chose mine thinking rp wise and got the defense malus), so I guess playing Birthright as a big tutorial won't hurt me, specially with 2 other "games" waiting right after it.

Dee Dee

lol Ryoma.

I beat chapter 4 by aggroing all those ogres in the middle, then running away.
They ganged up on Ryoma - and that was the end of them.
Then I insta-finished chapter 6 by using Ryoma to attack Xander...
I am sorry about chapter 5, although he nearly took down the boss by himself there too.

I hope he joins soon. ._.

BlackJace

Conquest Hard finally broke me.
I have never had much difficulty with the FE's I've played, but I've finally met my match: Conquest chapter 25.

I had to swallow my pride and lower the difficulty to Normal. They were not fucking kidding about it being a challenging entry, good lord.

Lynx_7

Fuck chapter 19,just had my first "can i really be arsed to reset moment". This chapter aint hard, its just boring and extremely punishing.

I'm assuming this is Conquest, right?
Just give a Beast Killer to a tanky unit and call it a day. Camilla works very well if you reclassed her to a Wyvern Knight. If not, Effie does a good job too.

Conquest Hard finally broke me.
I have never had much difficulty with the FE's I've played, but I've finally met my match: Conquest chapter 25.

I had to swallow my pride and lower the difficulty to Normal. They were not fucking kidding about it being a challenging entry, good lord.
I got lucky in that one.
Corrin acrivated Dragon Fang and critcal at the same time. 2 turns.

McNum

Hm, something is up with leveling in this game compared to Awakening. Does Fates have a much more severe level scaling for EXP than Awakening did? It seems a little odd that some members of my army get 40 EXP for a win when other get 4.

Also, related, I'm trying to wrap my head around how Class Changing works in Fates. You have Heart Seals to change to your character's alternate class, Partner Seals to change to an S-ranked support's class, and Friendship Seals which do the same for A+ ranks. And of course good old Master Seals.

Only Master Seals seem to affect the unit's level, as in you promote to the new tier. In other words, this looks a lot less abusable than Awakening's. But the old rule of thumb of "Don't promote until level 20!" is back in full force.

So, how do I use this best? My Avatar has Mercenary as his secondary, since Sol is never a bad skill to have, and I haven't figured out who he'll S-rank support yet. I figure it's all about skills, still, and I don't see a much better end class for the Avatar than the promoted version of the starter class. Basically, how many levels of Hero do I need, and are there any other skills to fish for? And do any other characters benefit greatly from a bit of reclassing?

NeonZ

So, how do I use this best? My Avatar has Mercenary as his secondary, since Sol is never a bad skill to have, and I haven't figured out who he'll S-rank support yet. I figure it's all about skills, still, and I don't see a much better end class for the Avatar than the promoted version of the starter class. Basically, how many levels of Hero do I need, and are there any other skills to fish for? And do any other characters benefit greatly from a bit of reclassing?

You get skills from previous levels at a rate of one per level up - this includes 1st tier skills though. So, for example, if you reclass to Hero at level 6, when leveling up to level 7, you'll get the 1st mercenary skill, the 2nd one at level 8 and finally Sol (which would usually be obtained at Hero level 5) at level 9.

Near the ending of the game, you also get Eternal seals which give 5 extra levels on top of the level cap. They cost a lot though, so you probably won't use more than a couple of them unless you grind for money.

McNum

You get skills from previous levels at a rate of one per level up - this includes 1st tier skills though. So, for example, if you reclass to Hero at level 6, when leveling up to level 7, you'll get the 1st mercenary skill, the 2nd one at level 8 and finally Sol (which would usually be obtained at Hero level 5) at level 9.

Near the ending of the game, you also get Eternal seals which give 5 extra levels on top of the level cap. They cost a lot though, so you probably won't use more than a couple of them unless you grind for money.
So, I should level to 20, promote level to 2, change to Hero, get Sol at 5, then check if whoever I choose for S-rank has anything good, and try to be back to the first class by 20.

I'm not gonna min/max this. There are still two more paths to play through after Hoshido. I just don't want to mess it up either.

Sölf

God, I FINALLY beat Hoshido chapter 12. Took me over 2 hours. It's not even that the map is pretty hard or anything after you know what you are doing (unless you have no flyer, then you are royally screwed, but SOMETHING-ALWAYS-WENT-WRONG! GRAH!

Oh, 11% hit chance on Hana, of course it hits and then she dies from the other enemies she is supposed to tank. Oh, but of course my units 1RKO the masses of enemies, so that in the end my units die because new enemies always appear. Of course Takumi evades
Xander
with 90% hit chance, but later another dies to a ~70% hit chance. Yes, someone didn't kill an enemy so now Oboro can't get to the front fast enough to tank the masses of enemies including one Great Knight.

God, worst chapter so far. At least in my final try I killed everyone except
Xander
and a random enemy. And because I didn't know what the yellow explanation mark was at the beginning I even tried to recruit
Laslow
, which of course didn't work. >_>
God, it's 3 AM now. I am going to bed.

McNum

I just learned something. If you meet an enemy ninja, check his skills!

(Before Awakening DLC)
That's a nice Silas you have there. It'd be a shame if someone were to swap places with him twice and get him right in the middle of the enemy force to be brutally beaten from all sides by the entire army, wouldn't it? Touché, game. Ninjas are now kill on sight enemies. That was brutal!

Also, I'm glad they ended that the way they did. But that is a story for another game with another avatar... Amusingly, they still don't have feet, even though they use Fates' animations.

Xenoflare

I just learned something. If you meet an enemy ninja, check his skills!

(Before Awakening DLC)
That's a nice Silas you have there. It'd be a shame if someone were to swap places with him twice and get him right in the middle of the enemy force to be brutally beaten from all sides by the entire army, wouldn't it? Touché, game. Ninjas are now kill on sight enemies. That was brutal!

Also, I'm glad they ended that the way they did. But that is a story for another game with another avatar... Amusingly, they still don't have feet, even though they use Fates' animations.

Lunge is evil

McNum

Lunge is evil
Yeah. That's what it was called. Not impossible to deal with once you know it's a thing, but... ouch!

Don't worry because once you start Conquest you'll be checking enemy skills in general everytime.
Oh, joy. That'll be fun. Conquest sounds pretty tough from all I've heard. How do you grind supports in that, anyway? I get that gold and EXP is limited (until those DLC release here), but support points aren't are they? I just can't see making all the pairings needed for a full set of Nohr kids in just the main chapters.

Renewed

Oh, joy. That'll be fun. Conquest sounds pretty tough from all I've heard. How do you grind supports in that, anyway? I get that gold and EXP is limited (until those DLC release here), but support points aren't are they? I just can't see making all the pairings needed for a full set of Nohr kids in just the main chapters.

You can grind support using DLC or visiting other Castles and battling them (that method is the safe one since you don't have to worry about Classic deaths).

Gold isn't that hard to put together (I'm at 50,000G by endgame after frequent use of the shops) and EXP can be gathered through planning or just getting a bunch of paralogues. I didn't take the time to get every kid since I'll just do that in Revelation.

McNum

You can grind support using DLC or visiting other Castles and battling them (that method is the safe one since you don't have to worry about Classic deaths).

Gold isn't that hard to put together (I'm at 50,000G by endgame after frequent use of the shops) and EXP can be gathered through planning or just getting a bunch of paralogues. I didn't take the time to get every kid since I'll just do that in Revelation.
Oh, Paralogues count for EXP? Then you grind supports in castle fights, unlock Paralogues and get extra EXP if you need it?

I've started playing on Casual, though. Mid-battle saves are just too nice to give up.

It does seem like skills are really, really important in Fates. I noticed my characters healing, which turned out to be Azura's doing. Leading to a very amusing strategy for Hoshido Chapter 10.
Group up in the middle of the spike pit, put Azura in the middle. Take 10% damage, heal 10% damage. Then heal Azura for EXP. Sakura gained five levels on that map...

Xenoflare

Oh, Paralogues count for EXP? Then you grind supports in castle fights, unlock Paralogues and get extra EXP if you need it?

I've started playing on Casual, though. Mid-battle saves are just too nice to give up.

It does seem like skills are really, really important in Fates. I noticed my characters healing, which turned out to be Azura's doing. Leading to a very amusing strategy for Hoshido Chapter 10.
Group up in the middle of the spike pit, put Azura in the middle. Take 10% damage, heal 10% damage. Then heal Azura for EXP. Sakura gained five levels on that map...

Just don't do the paralogues too late since they scale according to your current chapter. If you do it too late all the enemies might be capped out

McNum

Just don't do the paralogues too late since they scale according to your current chapter. If you do it too late all the enemies might be capped out
Wait, they do? Does the DLC do that, too? I did find it... suspicious that the average level of my party was 10-ish and so were all the enemies in Before Awakening.

I take it that despite that, Mozu will still be level 1 no matter what in 1x?

Xenoflare

Wait, they do? Does the DLC do that, too? I did find it... suspicious that the average level of my party was 10-ish and so were all the enemies in Before Awakening.

I take it that despite that, Mozu will still be level 1 no matter what in 1x?

She's an exception. If her paralogue is scaled A) she would not survive and B) it goes against the trainee arctype.

Some of the paralogues are harder than the main chapters for me towards the end. Especially for the ones where you don't have the control to the child unit. They will cap out at 20/0 while the enemies are 20/14

The DLCs scale as well. Do take note that the EXP DLC is the only DLC for conquest that gives you exp and weapon exp. All the other DLCs do not.

I kinda got shafted since I bought a bunch of them individually instead of the map pack. I think I'll lose about $10 if I buy all of them separately

McNum

She's an exception. If her paralogue is scaled A) she would not survive and B) it goes against the trainee arctype.
Ah, good. I was briefly thinking how awful that map would be with anything but pushover enemies. That would be... tragic.

It honestly seems like they've looked at a lot of Awakening's gameplay flaws, and done something with them. Not entirely sure if it's all for the better, but it's definitely the Awakening formula with a few twists. A lot of twists, actually.

BowieZ

Banned
I have to say the music is really lovely throughout. I love Azura's song theme popping up here and there in different guises in some of the background score, and there's a some delightful chamber music style pieces of myriad ethnological variety, especially during support conversations.

My favorite is probably "Pray to the Dark" with its Celtic instruments (uilleann pipes, harp and mandolins).

Dee Dee

Finished chapter 9. Lots of resets were had, and I already started grinding the challenges, but I am having a lot of fun with Birthright on hard! It feels like the right setting for me at the moment, but there's still loads of chapters ahead to despair at. Can't wait!

Also, the story is so bad. I thought I could handle it, but I can't. What a dumb idea was chapter 8? Corrin is really unlikeable on top of that.
Man, I miss Chrom...
The German translation is so horrible as well, if someone REALLY needs to get angry about a localisation, then this should be your reason. I have some experience in Loca QA, and this is just painful - why on earth would you translate Fire Emblem? It's the bloody name of the game (which is NOT translated). It's literally too literal. I'd take some creative freedom with the content any day over this stilted mess.
Urgh.

At least they kept the English VA, which I really enjoy. Jakob is amazing - it doesn't hurt that he is wrecking people in my game at the moment as well.

Let's go chapter 10!
Is there a button combination to soft-reset the game by any chance?

Edit:
L+R+Start+Select

Much obliged!

Rodin

So i just realized that in classic mode the characters don't actually die because they're needed for the story, but they still don't come back during battles. Not sure why but i thought permadeath was only for "secondary" units. Which means i have to restart the game again because i can't play it without Elise. :\

EDIT: if i restart from chapter 6 from the main menu and some units died before that in the save of my playthrough that unlocked it, can i use them? Or the game "remembers" that they died and i still can't use them?

EDIT 2: yeah apparently you can use them again even if you restart from chapter 6. All my units were killed during chapter 5 but they're all here if i choose to side with Hoshido.

finally got most of kids I want in Revelation.

I've still got
Shigure
and
Selkie
to go but since I've paired
Kaden
with
Azura
I'll be knocking out two birds with one stone.

Out of all the kids but far the best have been:
Wyvern Lord Sigbert: Xander x Hinoka
pairing was godlike for him. Dude is freaking amazing and has even survived a bow shot.
Merchant Midori
:
Kaze x Oboro
has done this child well. With a bow in her hand she fears nothing
Strategist Forrest
:
Leo x Felicia
worked out very well in his favor, my best mage and my husband. <3

2San

With birthright can I skip the challenges? They're just there for grinding right? I want to avoid grinding since I'm playing on normal anyway.

Rizzi

Well I can't beat chapter 5. I have two useful units, and a healer that does practically nothing and a lady with a club that does fucking nothing and dies in one hit.
oofABOb.jpg
Fuck this shit.

Top Bottom