• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Xenoflare

Sooo I'm not sure what the difference is between pairing up and just having characters standing next to one another? Why should I choose one strategy over the other?

Also, are there characters in Birthright that I should refrain from using because they are already in promoted form and shouldn't hog exp, like Marcus in FE GBA?

You pair up you enter guard stance, which you always block enemy's follow up attack if two unpaired enemy units standing right next to each other attack you. Also you build up the guard meter in guard stance and when the meter is filled the paired unit will block any attack for once. Oh and of course there is stats boost if you enter guard stance

When you have two unpaired units standing next to each other they will enter attack stance, which the unit beside the attacking unit will initiate a follow up strike 50% of the damage of the unit's attack power.

In the beginning it may seem like attack stance is better than guard stance, but later on enemies will use attack stance to decimate your units so blocking is extremely important

You can grind in BR so you don't need to worry about prepromotes, and this game in general favors them quite a bit. Ryoma can solo the game ala SethEmblem

Sooo I'm not sure what the difference is between pairing up and just having characters standing next to one another? Why should I choose one strategy over the other?

Also, are there characters in Birthright that I should refrain from using because they are already in promoted form and shouldn't hog exp, like Marcus in FE GBA?

Two characters standing next to each other = Attack Stance. When fighting, the other character will make a secondary attack that does half damage.

Two characters joining up = Guard Stance. The backrow character will provide stat boosts for the frontline character, negate the secondary attack from an Attack stance attack, and when the Guard gauge fills up, will block one primary attack.

redcrayon

Even though I've played all of the previous games released here several times and am looking forward to Conquest, I'm glad I started with Birthright. Sure, it's easy, but I love the way the light-armoured samurai and ninjas force me to use a different strategy to my usual reliance on heavier units like cavaliers/Paladins and foot Knights. Even stuff like your halberdier infantry using naginatas adds to the whole 'feudal Japan' theme as much as the Samurai and ninjas, although I think it looks a bit silly wielding one two-handed from the back of a Pegasus- those wings might get clipped :D.

The music is great too, being able to change the castle theme is a nice touch.

Is it me or are the ninjas a bit too good as a class? They get the unlock ability, can attack both 1 and 2 squares away, and have a high skill, speed and magic resistance, and debuff stronger enemies that they don't kill outright. They are perfect for taking out mages, dealing with enemies behind walls, they pretty much always have a use as long as you don't expect them to hold a choke point. Compared to previous 'thief' units it's a huge difference, but I suppose it helps Hoshido's general 'Highly skilled but lightly armoured swordmasters' feel compared to Nohr's classic 'heavy foot/mounted knights supported by mages/archers' feel.

Eumi

So I'm about 5 hours in to Birthright, playing on normal classic, and my god this game is so easy. Haven't had any trouble since I got the castle and I'm just slowly watching everyone out level any enemies. My villager could already solo a lot of the levels, and I could promote her if I wanted!

It's really putting a damper on the whole thing because I'm loving everything else about it. I think this game has the best character designs I've seen in a while and I love how your units are all royals and their retainers.

Greddleok

So I'm about 5 hours in to Birthright, playing on normal classic, and my god this game is so easy. Haven't had any trouble since I got the castle and I'm just slowly watching everyone out level any enemies. My villager could already solo a lot of the levels, and I could promote her if I wanted!

It's really putting a damper on the whole thing because I'm loving everything else about it. I think this game has the best character designs I've seen in a while and I love how your units are all royals and their retainers.

Up the difficulty... If you're only 5 hours in, it shouldn't be so bad to go back and replay on hard.

TheJoRu

I would definitely recommend you replay on Hard, I find that to be a decent challenge so far (I'm only at Chapter 12, so probably only going to get tougher), but I would definitely not want it to be any easier. Since there's so much skippable stuff, especially in the beginning, it won't take you that long to get back to where you were. It's of course a bit frustrating to have redo a bunch of stuff, I reckon, but likely totally worth it in the end.

Nohar

When is it best to promote the villager (forgot her Name - Mozu?)?
Is it worth it to train her up to level 20?

It is worth it to train her up to level 20. Reclassing and level-ups don't work the same way in Fates than in Awakening.

First, Villager in this game is considered a normal pre-promoted class. Thus, her max level as a Villager is 20, and she will have two possible promotions, just like everyone else.
Reclassing her to Bowman won't give up tremendous stat boosts (unlike Donnel, who was showered in stat boosts when reclassing), and if you promote her early (or anyone early), you effectively will lose potential level-ups.

So, yeah, train her up to level 20. You can branch and make her an archer if you like, in order to grab some Skills, then reclass her later to one of her other promotions.

Aparté: Well, my Corrin turned out alright after all. Not game-breaking (far from it...) but not as bad as I thought. Still, I'll be more careful with my Boon and Bane for my next playthrough.

Nohar

So I just got the absolutely abysmal explanation for the existence of
child characters
and I was wondering if there's an optimal time to do these paralogue missions?

Yeah, pretty much everyone had the same reaction with that explanation.

As for the optimal time: it depends. Some of these paralogues should be done ASAP, otherwise you will find yourself having an hard time
saving the children. Ryoma's child is a prime example: if you attempt the paralogue too late, he will die turn 1, and you have no way of reaching him in time. The only way to save him is to use several Rescue staves (and you will need a Falcon knight).

Dee Dee

After I played Awakening on normal in casual mode, I started Fates on hard with permadeath enabled.

Thank god I eventually found out that fallen units before chapter 7 will not stay permanently dead anyway, because chapter 5....

Had to restart chapter 3 a lot of times as well.
It's interesting, it plays completely different that way. It actually feels more like a puzzle game, where I try to find the best tactic that doesn't get anyone killed, trying out going that way first, pairing these two units up, realizing it was a horrible mistake...

... and on the topic of restarting: I was loosing my mind until chapter 7, where you can save directly before the battle starts, and don't have to watch the 5min cutscene play out every time you want to restart the chapter. This now seems doable.

Also, C Support with Kaze for female Corrin:

K: Man, this lady gave me a bunch of radishes.
- useless radish talk -
C: Well I guess chicks just dig you.
K: I am not the man you think I am.

I thought they would bond over chapter 2 happenings. Instead it's this? Oh my.
The Jakob C support was surely something as well.

I think the major mistake here was starting the game in German, because the translation seems very literal and unpolished - the dialogue is stilted and awkward, and that doesn't help getting me invested in a story that's plain stupid to begin with.
I'll check if I can switch to English somehow.

Edit: And the worst part in the German translation is that the use the word "Manual" for "manual", which is simply not a German word, and has a perfectly fine translation in "Anleitung" - I know that German words tend to be too long to reasonable fit into a decent UI, but let's not pretend you can solve this by pretending English words are German.

Nohar

And Birthright completed. Regarding the two last chapters:
I was lucky to kill the boss. He came at me when everyone was already quite damaged by the miasma (Sakura couldn't heal everybody enough, even with the A rank staff), and there were only a few characters actually able to damage him without getting killed in retaliation. Corrin dealt the final blow, thanks to a lucky Dragon Fang activation (it was either that, or a game over).

The final chapter's music is actually quite nice (the japanese version may be better though, ymmv). I still think that Id (Purpose) was better though.

Anyhow, Birthright was enjoyable (much better than Awakening at least), but I'm expecting more from Conquest, as least gameplay-wise. Everyone said the Conquest's maps were better, so I am looking forward to this.

Sölf

Beat chapter 11 (or 12? The ship mission). Had some problems with the one before because I lost at least one character on turn 2 or turn 3 a few times. Then I realized the first 3 enemies don't move, so I took my time killing them instead of sending my troops forward and to their death. Anyway, recruited the first 2 kids, Jakob and Corrin (my first pair - who doesn't want a personal combat butler?). So far, my other marriages are Saizo x Orochi, Oboro x Hinata and Hinako x Subaki. Setsuna x Hana are already A+ and I will pair one of them (probably Hana) with Takumi.

The game also has the same problems as Awakening and pretty much every FE game ever: Way too man cool characters I want to use. I am not even sure if I will use any of the children (even though Dwyer is already a hot contender - but no idea who to bench for him). I already have to bench someone of my active team and would love to take Kagero in my team, but I simply have no room. Gah!
Then again, in Birthright it's not that much of a problem because I can just level up and build up supports in optional battles, but I already dread Nohr. ;_____;

Nohar

Regarding Corrin for a Conquest run: it is a given to pick -Luck as a bane, but which boon should I pick? I don't know what to choose between Speed, Strenght and Defense (frail Corrin traumatized me).

Also: what did I choose exactly at the end of my playthrough? There was a screen saying "Pick 5", and no other instructions.
Edit: Nevermind, found what it was.

On an unrelated note: Male Corrins are hideous...

It is worth it to train her up to level 20. Reclassing and level-ups don't work the same way in Fates than in Awakening.

First, Villager in this game is considered a normal pre-promoted class. Thus, her max level as a Villager is 20, and she will have two possible promotions, just like everyone else.
Reclassing her to Bowman won't give up tremendous stat boosts (unlike Donnel, who was showered in stat boosts when reclassing), and if you promote her early (or anyone early), you effectively will lose potential level-ups.

So, yeah, train her up to level 20. You can branch and make her an archer if you like, in order to grab some Skills, then reclass her later to one of her other promotions.

Aparté: Well, my Corrin turned out alright after all. Not game-breaking (far from it...) but not as bad as I thought. Still, I'll be more careful with my Boon and Bane for my next playthrough.

Thanks! That all makes sense. Donnel from Awakening had me confused.

Sölf;204338073 said:
The game also has the same problems as Awakening and pretty much every FE game ever: Way too man cool characters I want to use. I am not even sure if I will use any of the children (even though Dwyer is already a hot contender - but no idea who to bench for him). I already have to bench someone of my active team and would love to take Kagero in my team, but I simply have no room. Gah!
Then again, in Birthright it's not that much of a problem because I can just level up and build up supports in optional battles, but I already dread Nohr. ;_____;

Yeah, I've got the same issue. 😞 The games are still balanced towards you eventually losing some characters, so a lot of backup chars are "needed".
I'm playing without resets this time around (or at least I plan to...) so I might still get a chance to use more of the chars on my bench.

NeonZ

I thought they would bond over chapter 2 happenings. Instead it's this? Oh my.
The Jakob C support was surely something as well.

The supports are one of the reasons I really wish Revelation didn't exist. Most characters don't mention specific story events in their supports since they can join in various campaigns, which involve different armies and goals. Even the Nohr/Hoshido exclusives are hurt in that sense due to Revelation, where they have a different goal and join in different ways.

At least for the Nohr/Hoshido exclusive characters, they can still talk about their kingdom in a more generic context, which sometimes leads to pre-game backstories which generally work well. However, the neutral characters, who join Corrin in all routes, like Kaze, can't even do that, since they're playable in both the game where you're siding with Hoshido to defeat Nohr, or Nohr to conquer Hoshido.

Azura is the only character with route-specific supports with Corrin and, even though I don't care about her as a character, the writing of those supports show how route specific supports easily could have improved the general writing of the supports.

Regarding Corrin for a Conquest run: it is a given to pick -Luck as a bane, but which boon should I pick? I don't know what to choose between Speed, Strenght and Defense (frail Corrin traumatized me).

I'm fond of +magic

Most enemies have poor to mediocre resistance, so the Dragonstone melts them.

Later on you can buy a Levin Sword, and this is awesome because it is a powerful 1-2 range weapon that can double (Like Ryoma's sword), its only short-coming is that it can't crit or trigger skills like Dragon Fang.

If you want a bulky and mobile magic Corrin, pick Mage as your talent and switch to Dark Knight after you promote. Pair up with a partner that gives you a hefty Speed bonus and you're golden

demidar

If playing conquest I'd recommend reclassing her to archer asap.

tbh Mozu won't be as godlike as quickly as her Aptitude skill got nerfed (+10% to stat up chance rather than Donnel's +20%). It might even be preferable to just not use her if you can take care of fliers with only a single archer.

-GJ-

While it is possible to do no pairup runs it gets much more difficult and your units end up at risk more often. Having an extra attacker is often not worth the extra damage you will start taking when the enemy is dual striking you regularly. I've found most people keep units in attack stance in the early parts of all three games to spread out the exp and get in more damage then move to pairups as the game progresses and it becomes more advantageous to take less damage. Also you can track how your shield gauge is filling up when paired and use it strategically to bait out attacks from more dangerous targets. Again it is up to you how you want to play though so do what makes you happy.

As for what pairup up gives you
http://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/hoshidan-characters/pair-up-stats/
You can access info on all the other versions easily from there, also there is a link to the page with the bonuses you get from each class so you can see what your total gains from a pairup will be.

There will be many many debates on who the most optimal marriage pairings are in each version and depending on if you only care about the parents themselves or if you want to optimize the resulting kid.

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=61534 the browser based app discussed in the link can be really helpful when planning for a kid though it is not perfect.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the help! I still don't truly understand it and I have no idea how I should figure that stuff out without the use of a guide, but at least this helps me a bit :).

Nohar

I am torn. I want an archer in this game that is not
Takumi, cuz fuck 'm
. I can't decide between
Setsuna and Mozu
. Which of the two would function better as an archer/sniper?

Dude, Takumi is fine.

That being said: my Setsuna was terribad, and my Mozu turned out to be a better Archer than Takumi (unique bow and skill nonwithstanding). Mozu has a rough start, but she will become a very solid unit.

Takumi, cuz fuck 'm
. I can't decide between
Setsuna and Mozu

Setsuna has terrible STR growth. Mozu requires babying but she'll turn out fine in the long run.

Sölf

Welp, chapter 12 in Hoshido does not fuck around. Can you recruit those 2 that enter the map later on or is that not possible here? Even if that would be possible,
Xander and the Great Knights
are killing machines. I just lost Saizo and Orochi in a single turn after those two reached me.

My Takumi could 1HKO most people, but his speed/hit rate was not doing it for me and kept on missing.

Setsuna, ironically, ended up really good for me, not as strong due to no Fujin Yumi, but was able to double enemies and hit most of the time.

Azuran

Banned
Takumi, cuz fuck 'm
. I can't decide between
Setsuna and Mozu

Takumi is an awesome character. Dude only gets undeserved hate because people were humbled by him in Chapter 10.

Reset

Takumi is the only Hoshido sibling that isn't boring as fuck personality wise. He's the best sibling on the Hoshido side. :]

Nohar

Takumi is the only Hoshido sibling that isn't boring as fuck personality wise. He's the best sibling on the Hoshido side. :]

Pretty much.
Hinoka is bland and doesn't add anything to the Hoshido side.
Sakura is even blander.
Ryoma is sexy as fuck and I want the same shampoo (he must have stolen Ganondorf's).
Takumi is kind of a jerk with a soft core. Also
I like how they integrated his self-esteem issues into his unique skill. Too bad it still comes out of nowhere, and for what dumb reason did he showed up mind-controlled in that mission again? Did it have any purpose at all, except ankwardly lampshading chapter 25's twist?

Shinypogs

I see. What about skill transfers and whatnot?
Do I need to think about what skills to have as the parent or whether I need to have used a master seal or whatever
? How can I know what paralogue to tackle immediately and which ones to leave until later (and when would that later point be)?

Unless you want to be using the child character early it's normal to leave them until after completing chapter 18. At that point each child comes with an offspring seal (special unit locked master seal). Last skill which can be inherited in each parents loadout is passed on, i.e you can't pass on azura's skill that requires a unit to sing to give buffs but you can pass on other skills she has. Inherited skill is determined when the map starts for some characters ( ones you can recruit by talking to them) and when the map ends for ones you need to defeat or whom don't join you until after the map so if you are close to leveling and gaining a new skill be wary that you may end up changing what gets passed on.

While difficult it's entirely possible to wait until after chapter 18 to recruit any of the kids on hard or normal difficulty on all three routes (some can be safely done right before endgame) I have no idea about lunatic. With regards to shiro he can actually be nabbed without a rescue staff later in the game if you ferry his father to him with Takumi who doesn't give a fuck about the map terrain due to fujin yumi. His is a paralogue many opt to do earlier however because it can be a nuisance. Honestly outside of looking up the paralogues on a wiki you can't really tell which are going to be easy and which are going to be hard. it's very trial and error but everything is manageable with the right tactics or resources (again not accounting for lunatic difficulty).

Also: what did I choose exactly at the end of my playthrough? There was a screen saying "Pick 5", and no other instructions.
Edit: Nevermind, found what it was.

On an unrelated note: Male Corrins are hideous...

What talent are you picking for your Corrin, you want a bane and boon that compliment that and while luck is often the default bane it is not always the best option depending on what you want your final class as and what skills you plan to pick up. For example I'm not dumping my luck stat on my upcoming lunatic run of birthright because it's the trigger stat for one of the witch skills and as a purely magic user I can safely make strength my bane and not suffer too horribly. I also just did a hard conquest run with a +strength/-magic ninja because the extra evasion your luck stat gives you is valuable for them.

I had a frail Corrin my first run ( also my first ever fire emblem game) I went +luck/-resistance and my avatar ended up as pairup fodder for Velouria because they were fucking useless otherwise. Surviving and beating the game with a trash avatar was a learning experience and I got my act together in later runs. I am tempted to see if a +luck/-resistance build could be viable sometime if I changed to the right class and had the right pairup partner.

I just really don't find him to be an interesting character, though his design is all right.

And I see. I like them both somewhat, though setsuna's personality is stronger than mozu in my opinion. Man, why are all the characters I like so weak in this game :S.

I don't even know who that is lol. I'll keep an eye out, see whether I like his/her personality.

Be prepared to ask yourself that a lot in Revelations if you get to it.

As for Reina, while she is pretty good as a unit, she suffers from having only one support conversation (Corrin) so don't expect a whole lot from her personality wise.

So I've got Axel (Male MU) and Felicia to level 5 on chapter 3, and avoided using Gunter. This won't be in vain will it? I'm assuming that Gunter doesn't just jump ship when you join Hoshido?

Also I want Flora, not Felicia who is who I'm guessing I'll end up with. She's so whiny

I've tried to beat Conquest chapter 5 on hard so many times now, it's just ridiculous how weak your companions are, even if they all survive the previous chapters. I managed to beat the boss once after everyone else was killed, but didn't realise I have to eliminate all the goons as well...

Nohar

So I've got Axel (Male MU) and Felicia to level 5 on chapter 3, and avoided using Gunter. This won't be in vain will it? I'm assuming that Gunter doesn't just jump ship when you join Hoshido?

Also I want Flora, not Felicia who is who I'm guessing I'll end up with. She's so whiny

Regarding Gunther in Hoshido (spoilers):
Nope. You won't see him again.

Impulsor

Which classes would be good choices for corrin both in birthright and conquest?

I've read master ninja is cool, but what about for conquest?

Semajer

I've just learned that I've missed a paralogue because I didn't get an A rank with someone before a deadline that came out of nowhere. Fuck this game.

Shinypogs

Which classes would be good choices for corrin both in birthright and conquest?

I've read master ninja is cool, but what about for conquest?

It is usually recommended to pick a class you can't access in the route you are doing so put Nohr only classes on a Hoshido route Corrin and vice versa. Except for master ninja which is good all the time and can be gotten via friendship seal regardless of route if you don't want to just make ninja your talent.

It is usually recommended to pick a class you can't access in the route you are doing so put Nohr only classes on a Hoshido route Corrin and vice versa. Except for master ninja which is good all the time and can be gotten via friendship seal regardless of route if you don't want to just make ninja your talent.

...no it isn't

Most of the best classes work well in either route, if anything the one class that isn't the case is the magic Paladin build due to no Levin Sword in Birthright, but that's the opposite because it's better in Conquest.

Nohar

Well, Dark Knight it is for my Corrin (F) for my Conquest run. I took +Mag -Luck (yeah for the Idol we get in Chapter 4!).
I just noticed that my Jakob in my Birthright run had 11 Magic at level 33... Jakob starts with 5 Magic. I think my Jakob got RNG-screwed hard.

Well, Dark Knight it is for my Corrin (F) for my Conquest run. I took +Mag -Luck (yeah for the Idol we get in Chapter 4!).
I just noticed that my Jakob in my Birthright run had 11 Magic at level 33... Jakob starts with 5 Magic. I think my Jakob got RNG-screwed hard.

Jakob isn't meant to be a magical unit. He's better as a physical unit(Great Knight or Paladin).

Nohar

Jakob isn't meant to be a magical unit. He's better as a physical unit(Great Knight or Paladin).

I'll know that for my Conquest run. I kept him as a Butler in my Birthright run. Not the best choice, clearly. Once he learns Tome Killer I will change his class (assuming I'm not in dire need of staff users in Conquest).

Shinypogs

...no it isn't

Most of the best classes work well in either route, if anything the one class that isn't the case is the magic Paladin build due to no Levin Sword in Birthright, but that's the opposite because it's better in Conquest.

My apologies then, I've mostly only seen people suggest picking up things from the opposite route, did not mean to pass on faulty information. I will also note that I have seen the magic paladin build referenced a lot for both routes since you can get the bolt Naginata on the Hoshido side to make up for no levin sword. Again deeply sorry for my mistake.

Nohar

Chapter 6 Conquest:
Welp. I actually feel bad after attacking Sakura with Corrin. "I'll just put you to sleep for a little while". Damn. Poor Sakura is unable to understand what is happening.

Also:
Awww, I won't get Azura right away? Damn.

I'll know that for my Conquest run. I kept him as a Butler in my Birthright run. Not the best choice, clearly. Once he learns Tome Killer I will change his class (assuming I'm not in dire need of staff users in Conquest).
Paladin Jakob is silly in the earlygame, it's the primary reason why female Corrin is "better" purely from a gameplay perspective (two games in a row, and the game before that picking a male avatar was better, when will IS make them even!).
My apologies then, I've mostly only seen people suggest picking up things from the opposite route, did not mean to pass on faulty information. I will also note that I have seen the magic paladin build referenced a lot for both routes since you can get the bolt Naginata on the Hoshido side to make up for no levin sword. Again deeply sorry for my mistake.
It's true that you can use the Bolt Naginata, but that requires getting up to C rank lances whereas getting C rank swords should be relatively trivial.

Nohar

So going for Paladin in my Hoshido run.

Should go +mag and -res? or -luck?

Really, really, really avoid -res. Your Corrin is going to die very often against magic users. You can work around it, but it will effectively make you use Corrin very cautiously.
You can mitigate -luck right from the start since chapter 4 gives you an boost item (+4 Luck).

Top Bottom