• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Azuran

Banned
Hm, I'm finding it hard to get units with good offense in Hoshido. Just completed chapter 11 and I asked myself midway through what Hinoka and Subaki even were doing there. When the enemy has over 20 HP, it just doesn't cut it to double with 4 damage unless you're a ninja or Felicia with debuff riders on it. Also looking at you, there, Rinkah. Good defense on her, though. Can take an axe to the face better than anyone.

Do the Pegasus riders just suck in this game or am I just being unlucky?

I found them to be pretty meh. Subaki is kinda meh since he has no speed and hilariously high defense for a class that's pretty frail to begin with. They were mostly relegated to staff bots by the end of my games.

Spear Master is a better class if you're planning on continue using them since they get S rank in lances and a critical bonus which is always nice.

TheJoRu

Lost Takumi right at the end of Birthright Chapter 11, one risky move on my part but also bad luck. Absolutely brutal. Finished the chapter off, but the loss hurt too much so I did it all over again. Awakening was my first Fire Emblem, so I eased myself in by playing on Casual. However, I've quickly come to understand what people mean when they say Classic is the true FE experience...man, it's tense and man, it's great!

With this abundance of Fates content I don't know when I'll ever find the time and motivation, but I'd like to replay Awakening again on Classic and see the difference. I imagine it'd be like night and day.

BlackJace

End of All (Land)

*faints*

EWmof.gif
Composers
p0QHO.gif

McNum

I found them to be pretty meh. Subaki is kinda meh since he has no speed and hilariously high defense for a class that's pretty frail to begin with. They were mostly relegated to staff bots by the end of my games.

Spear Master is a better class if you're planning on continue using them since they get S rank in lances and a critical bonus which is always nice.
I haven't gotten the upgraded Rod Shop yet, so my Heart Seals are limited to just one, which kind of has Mozu's name on it. I hope changing her to Archer will make her stronger. She's kind of Takumi's backup right now. I just find them funny together.

Hm, I'm finding it hard to get units with good offense in Hoshido. Just completed chapter 11 and I asked myself midway through what Hinoka and Subaki even were doing there. When the enemy has over 20 HP, it just doesn't cut it to double with 4 damage unless you're a ninja or Felicia with debuff riders on it. Also looking at you, there, Rinkah. Good defense on her, though. Can take an axe to the face better than anyone.

Do the Pegasus riders just suck in this game or am I just being unlucky?

Both Hinoka and Subaki are fine at least in Birthright, remember to use tonics (and the right pairup is important).

Also Hinoka can take a Steel Naginata and double things anyway, so do that.

Hm, I don't have those in My Castle yet, but... I don't have to, now, do I? I can go shopping in someone else's castle! If they have a Rod or Staff shop, I can buy their seals, and if they have a silver weapon's shop, I can buy steel stuff, right?

I need to wrap my head around this My Castle thing a bit more. So far I've just visited other players and seen their units fight in the Arena. A sneak preview of what they can do.

Tonics should already be infinite in the level 1 shop I think? Also there's 1 Steel Naginata in the level 1 Dawn Armory for Hinoka.

McNum

Both Hinoka and Subaki are fine at least in Birthright, remember to use tonics (and the right pairup is important).

Also Hinoka can take a Steel Naginata and double things anyway, so do that.
Hm, I don't have those in My Castle yet, but... I don't have to, now, do I? I can go shopping in someone else's castle! If they have a Rod or Staff shop, I can buy their seals, and if they have a silver weapon's shop, I can buy steel stuff, right?

I need to wrap my head around this My Castle thing a bit more. So far I've just visited other players and seen their units fight in the Arena. A sneak preview of what they can do.

Jintor

Man I'm super into the gameplay now. Separating out offensive pair ups from defensive pairup was a genius move.

I didn't think I'd care at all about the "battle map proportional to battlefield map" thing at all but it lends this really great touch that I'm really in love with

Also not using up weapon uses is beeeautiful

McNum

...hm, you can't buy Seals in other people's castles. Ah well, grabbed me a shiny Heal staff for Felicia. Sure, she can use the ranged ones, but sometimes a Heal is plenty.

I get the feeling that when I play Conquest, I'll be raiding visiting Hoshidan castles for the ranged heals, though. Those things are nice.

Draxal

...hm, you can't buy Seals in other people's castles. Ah well, grabbed me a shiny Heal staff for Felicia. Sure, she can use the ranged ones, but sometimes a Heal is plenty.

I get the feeling that when I play Conquest, I'll be raiding visiting Hoshidan castles for the ranged heals, though. Those things are nice.

You can, it just has to be a maxed out (level 3 staff store).

You can't buy limited items from online stores, but at a max staff store, they're unlimited.

If anyone has an easy explanation of the way promotions/class switching works now I'm all ears

It's pretty simple, the only thing is that Jakob and Felicia break the rules (they start off in promoted classes but work like unpromoted characters),

NeonZ

You should be able to buy seals from other castles (at least fully upgraded ones), since they're unlimited. Only unlimited items after to be sold when you're visiting other castles.

If anyone has an easy explanation of the way promotions/class switching works now I'm all ears

There are two levels of classes - base and promoted. Heart Seals allow you to change to another class of the same level, out of the unit's inherent choices. Partner Seal is the same, but allows the unit to access the base class of their S ranking partner. Friendship Seal is the same but for A+ support partners. Your current level doesn't change at all when using these seals.

Master Seal is the seal for promotion. You need to be at least level 10 in a base class before using it. However, it's generally recommended to only use it at level 20, which is the standard maximum level. After using the Master Seal, your level will return to 1, apparently, but 1 promoted is closer to level 21 for a base class character for experience gains and such.

There are seals for special classes, like Lodestar and Great Lord that don't have promotions. Rather than that, they just level up to 40, without reseting the number. So, if you use it in a base class, you're level won't change, but if you use it on a promoted class, you'll see 20 levels added to the unit's level (So, a lvl1 Paladin becomes a lvl21 Dark Falcon).

You gain skills at level 1 and 10 of a base class, and 5 and 15 of promoted ones. When you change to a new class, you start gaining missing skills from that class line's previous level (including the base class) at a rate of one per level. So, if you change from Paladin to Hero at level 3 promoted, you'll gain the cavalier level 1 skill at level 4, the level 10 skill at level 5 and only will gain the actual Paladin lvl 5 skill at level 6.

Azuran

Banned

Heart Seals are use to switch between base and secondary classes native to a unit. For example, Selena has Mercenary/Hero/Bow Knight as a main class and Sky Knight/Falcon Knight/Kinshi Knight as a secondary and can switch into any of those classes when you use one.

Partner Seals are use to change into the class from someone she S-ranked while Friendship seals are used for A+ ranks. Lastly, Master Seals are use to promote someone to an advance class when they reach level 20 for the first time.

Shinypogs

Would it be a good idea to put Beruka through the dread fighter class for all the skills then switch her to a wyvern lord for the last bit of the game? I'm trying to plan out a future conquest run (and first time doing conquest lunatic) and I want to use beruka and camilla but I'm not sure how to get the most from beruka since she always got benched early in my other runs.

Jintor

Thanks friends.

Two questions: is there a way to see the support list mid-battle per-unit?

And where can I get Heart Seals? Just wrapped Chapter... 10 I think for Birthright. I got one and changed my hero to his other class and it's a bit silly really.

Xenoflare

I think I'm getting those HP growth I had for Elise back in this new play through

Her HP is still at 20 at level 14/0. Should I restart the chapter or nah.

She only proced HP once. By like for like Azura procced her HP more than her.

God why can't the level ups be fixed I hate this

Sölf

B eat chapter 15 yesterday and god, Hoshido difficulty really is a fucking yoyo. You get stuff like C10 or C12, which are rather hard in comparison. Then you have stuff like C14, which is a moderate difficulty and then you get stuff like C15, which is just easy without anything dangerous. Seriously, wat.

Also, for C15:
So I lost Kaze. Any way to save him? He wasn't part of anything special, would have joined by B team for supports and levels, but during this playthrough I wouldn't have used him anyway.

Xenoflare

Sölf;204505944 said:
B eat chapter 15 yesterday and god, Hoshido difficulty really is a fucking yoyo. You get stuff like C10 or C12, which are rather hard in comparison. Then you have stuff like C14, which is a moderate difficulty and then you get stuff like C15, which is just easy without anything dangerous. Seriously, wat.

Also, for C15:
So I lost Kaze. Any way to save him? He wasn't part of anything special, would have joined by B team for supports and levels, but during this playthrough I wouldn't have used him anyway.

You cannot, if you don't have his A rank unlocked before 15 he's gone

Fawk Nin

I'm on mission 8 of birthright and loving it.

I don't focus too much on best pairs or switching classes for max results, but are there any obvious things I should be doing so as not to nerf my team? Right now I just level them up and master seal them to whichever class I think seems best.

Thanks friends.

Two questions: is there a way to see the support list mid-battle per-unit?

And where can I get Heart Seals? Just wrapped Chapter... 10 I think for Birthright. I got one and changed my hero to his other class and it's a bit silly really.
Nope. The only in battle indication you can see in regards to supports is the hearts when they support each other or the letter above a unit's head if that unit already has a support level with your selected unit.

Heart Seals you'll get from your Rod shop or from rod shops in other people's castles. Note your shop has a limited supply.

every castle i hit up so far doesn't have any, is there a way to figure that shit out?
Yes actually. when you choose to visit someone's castle I suggest going to the Rankings list and choosing the highest ranked people. They all have names referencing skills. Those people generally all have maxed out shops.

Nightbird

I have yet to completely understand the online mechanics and what I'm supposed to do with them

Tbh I feel a little bit overwhelmed with all the new mechanics and slight tweaks to older mechanics. It's gonna take a while before I get the hang of it all

I think I'm getting those HP growth I had for Elise back in this new play through

But fixed level-ups would only guarantee she'll never take a non-magic hit in her life! lol

Jintor

so i cheesed chapter 12 birthright with fliers and an armourslayer within 3 turns. probably missed out on a bunch of shit but hey whatever

Nightbird

every castle i hit up so far doesn't have any, is there a way to figure that shit out?

You know those moments where you feel stupid for not thinking about the obvious?

Yeah, that's what I have now. (it's not like had to fear the archers too, I'm playing without permadeath)

Spierek

so i cheesed chapter 12 birthright with fliers and an armourslayer within 3 turns. probably missed out on a bunch of shit but hey whatever

If by a "bunch of shit" you mean skipping on the villages, I'd advise redoing the mission because you can get some really good stuff from there
including 10k gold from one of them.

Sölf

If by a "bunch of shit" you mean skipping on the villages, I'd advise redoing the mission because you can get some really good stuff from there
including 10k gold from one of them.

You mean chapter 13. 12 was the opera house.
But yeah, I didn't want to cheese it. Took me 2-3 hours to beat that motherfucker of a chapter. At least 13-15 were easy in comparison so far.

Edit: Oh, and I think the only thing you may have missed is a hammer, a Draco Shield and I am not sure if the thief also carried 3000 gold. But that's it, aside from EXP of course.

Dee Dee

After nearly loosing it over chapter 10 Birthright, I flew through chapter 11 first try.
3 Archers, 2 Healers and Azura, not sure why I even brought more units (as pair up bots obviously).

Not happy reading about chapter 12 being ridiculous again. 2-3 hours... it's going to be a long night.

Also, I visited my first StreetPass castle today, a Conquest player, but didn't know what to buy.
I need to take inventory management more seriously.

What's with the Onsen by the way?
Will opposite sex units always stress out when Corrin shows up, or is the bath shared when you get higher supports with them?

And next question: The units in my castle keep begging me for accessories, what gives?

ZeroX03

Banned
When do you get a decent offensive magic user in Birthright? I'm past Chapter 11 and it's just Orochi and her damage output isn't too great.

PK Gaming

The good news is that her HP is only 1 less than average (she usually has 21 at level 14).

The even better news is that her HP stat literally shouldn't make a difference.

ZeroX03

Banned
When Sakura promotes to Onmyoji.

Fates in general isn't big on tome users.

I'd completely ignored Sakura in favour of Felicia...

My archers have been absolutely smashing face, as far as ranged units go ninja debuffs and poisons are good (plus being able to counter at 1-2 range) but Mozu and Takumi OHKO almost everything.

Nohar

Done with chapter 9 Conquest (kinda tedious, not that difficult, but one has to be very careful, especially with the Lancers who can lower our Defense stat, which isn't that high to begin with at this point of the game ; smart positionning and defensive stance are key to victory). Reached Chapter 10 Conquest. Come on, it can't be that hard...

*beat*

Oh. OK, I think I'm beginning to understand why this battle is dreaded. Also why having Mozu as an archer is recommended.
Please tell me Takumi isn't going to make a beeline for the escape point. Dude is guaranteed to kill someone.
At least, there are some good news:
Camilla is finally here ♥

That being said, NOW that's a Fire Emblem game! Birthright is going to feel pretty dull after Conquest.

Done with chapter 9 Conquest (kinda tedious, not that difficult, but one has to be very careful, especially with the Lancers who can lower our Defense stat, which isn't that high to begin with at this point of the game ; smart positionning and defensive stance are key to victory). Reached Chapter 10 Conquest. Come on, it can't be that hard...

*beat*

Oh. OK, I think I'm beginning to understand why this battle is dreaded. Also why having Mozu as an archer is recommended.
Please tell me Takumi isn't going to make a beeline for the escape point. Dude is guaranteed to kill someone.
At least, there are some good news:
Camilla is finally here ♥

That being said, NOW that's a Fire Emblem game! Birthright is going to feel pretty dull after Conquest.

You don't need anybody on the 2nd ballista lol

Sölf

After nearly loosing it over chapter 10 Birthright, I flew through chapter 11 first try.
3 Archers, 2 Healers and Azura, not sure why I even brought more units (as pair up bots obviously).

Not happy reading about chapter 12 being ridiculous again. 2-3 hours... it's going to be a long night.

You can completely cheese chapter 12 if you want to, but if you want to play it "properly" you will "have fun".

ohlawd

can someone spoil me on arbitrary shit I have to do to not lose characters, items, whatever else for all three routes?

Birthright spoilers
like getting A rank with Kaze before chapter 15? is there something similar with another character in a different route? that sorta shit

Nohar

can someone spoil me on arbitrary shit I have to do to not lose characters, items, whatever else for all three routes?

Birthright spoilers
like getting A rank with Kaze before chapter 15? is there something similar with another character in a different route? that sorta shit

Oh boy, this is gonna take a while... :
  • If you don't A-rank Silas, he will turn traitor and backstab Ryoma. Oh well, at least you get a bonus paralogue out of it.
  • If you don't feed Lilith regularly, she will die from starvation. Avoid giving her Milk too often: she is lactose-intolerant.
  • If you don't pet Kaden often enough in your bedroom, he will eventually leave and join Elise on Nohr's side, 'cause she finds him fluffy.
  • Be sure that Azama's level is never higher than Corrin's, otherwise he will leave, taking with him several other units (children are more prone to join him) to form a cult.
  • [Male Corrin only] Camilla will go full Yandere on you on Conquest should you mary anyone but her. She will eventually smother Corrin so hard that he will die with his head stuck between her assets.

Obviously, I'm pulling your leg here. Kaze is the only one to pull something like that in Birthright.

On a more serious note:
Try to recruit Ryoma's son ASAP if you want to use him. Otherwise, you will need a Falcon Knight and a couple Rescue staves. And I am not kidding about this one.

McNum

On a more serious note:
Try to recruit Ryoma's son ASAP if you want to use him. Otherwise, you will need a Falcon Knight and a couple Rescue staves. And I am not kidding about this one.
My "suicidal recruitable NPC" sense is tingling...

Azuran

Banned

Birthright spoilers

You can miss some of the bosses that can be captured if you care about that.

Top Bottom