• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Noo, how?
Bring him back!!
He is such a great offensive and defensive pair up, and he is super lucky with dodges in my game.

I want to save my Corrin for Ryoma's kid, but ♡Silas♡.

I finally beat chapter 13. I messed up horribly 3 times in a row. I eventually beat it, activating only one dragon vein (bottom right corner).
Chapter 14 seems really doable now - especially with my new recruits!

I redid chapter 14 and my baby Silas is alive!

Bless his cuteness 😊
It was a hard chapter, might do some grinding now

McNum

Silas in my Birthright game is what makes Rinkah work. She can take a physical hit like no one else in my army, but her damage output is... not there. He on the other hand is kind of fragile for a Cavalier, but is fast and hits hard. So, pair them up and Rinkah lures them in and Silas smacks them down on my turn. Bonus points in that this makes five actions, so on the enemy phase, Rinkah intercepts the first hit for Silas.

Actually, I have a silly idea. If Rinkah reaches level 20/10, I'm throwing a Dread Scroll at her. Get her Aggression and watch as her damage output increases immensely. Of course, she's not promoted and it's only chapter 14 so far, but... I like the idea. Is it a good plan?

Dee Dee

I am chapter 15 in Birthright and have no S-Ranks and only 2 promoted units.
Am I doing it wrong?

I really need to read up on those seals, I still am completely mystified. I am not a fan of re-classing, although at least I could buy a horrible E class weapon from my own shop in this game to train up weapon skills again (Awakening, looking at you!).
I prefer equipping different weapons over changing a class - they seem to make quite the difference this time around.

Still, I thought you should wait until level 20 to use master seals?

Xenoflare

I am chapter 15 in Birthright and have no S-Ranks and only 2 promoted units.
Am I doing it wrong?

I really need to read up on those seals, I still am completely mystified. I am not a fan of re-classing, although at least I could buy a horrible E class weapon from my own shop in this game to train up weapon skills again (Awakening, looking at you!).
I prefer equipping different weapons over changing a class - they seem to make quite the difference this time around.

Still, I thought you should wait until level 20 to use master seals?

Some units like Azama and Elise may benefit from it because they are healers and you never want to be stuck with your only weapon being E rank

Especially Azama, his growth is completely physical oriented

McNum

Silly question, do you need to restart the game to access new DLC? I've had the game pretty much in sleep mode since I got it, but Boo Camp and the beach episode should be out today in Europe, so do I need to restart the game to get that? I already bought the map pack. If I do need to restart, is a soft reset good enough, or do I have to quit out to the Home menu?

Xenoflare

Silly question, do you need to restart the game to access new DLC? I've had the game pretty much in sleep mode since I got it, but Boo Camp and the beach episode should be out today in Europe, so do I need to restart the game to get that? I already bought the map pack. If I do need to restart, is a soft reset good enough, or do I have to quit out to the Home menu?

no, it refreshes every time you check "purchase dlc" in dragons gate

Jintor

azura's got a mother effing spear and she can let ryoma get from one side of the battlefield to another in one turn. good dancer.

Sölf

So I am now at chapter 26. 23 was pretty cool. it wasn't overly hard, but you definitly had to be on your toes in order to not loose anyone. Chapter 24 was rather easy after you survived the bulk of enemies on turn 3. 25 was also okay, nothing too hard here. But god, the chapters start to take ages. If I loose someone near the end I will probably rage pretty hard.

Kater

Banned
No, her being the exposition waif that never tells you anything important in Conquest is also a pretty big problem.

Yep, Silas is probably one of the few that questions her on that too. Corrin just goes "Hmmm, suspicious but I won't question it", urgh. Corrin is way too trusting of people.

First post here, I love the game so far. My fave is Niles. <3 Mozume is sweet too. Conquest's story is fun and the game is very challenging for me, having only played Fire Emblem Awakening in this series so far. I should have probably started on Hoshido's side. Oh well!

Jintor

The more story mode I play the more I get the sense that manga author wrote what would've been a pretty cool manga if each 'chapter' of the story was a fully-featured anime episode or chapter of an actual manga. But since it's a Fire Emblem game it all just fucking whizzes by with no meaning or impact.

Birthright chap 17:
Nobody cares about being betrayedbypeople the player doesn't have any connection to! Doing it twice doesn't help you any further either!

Jintor

fuck my life. two missions tonight where i've literally wiped the floor with all enemies then gotten one-shotted by the bosses due to either a careless mistake or a stupidly lucky crit.

fucking beserkers. i'm going to sleep. hard even to be mad at the last one when literally their first fucking move was to crit.

Sölf

Yeah, fuck the Birthright final chapter.

Not being able to save between chapter 27 and the finale is the most stupid thing IS has done. How the heck are you supposed to beat that without loosing a single character? I only lost Takumi due to a Brave Sword, which had 4 hits and he died after 3. Azura evaded a 66% hit that would have oneshottet her and Hana was attacked by 2 or 3 enemies and evaded at least 2 or even 3 attacks, she also would have died if a single one of them would have hit her.

Anyway, I finished Birthright. Off to Nohr!

Sölf;204745014 said:

Not being able to save between chapter 27 and the finale is the most stupid thing IS has done. How the heck are you supposed to beat that without loosing a single character? I only lost Takumi due to a Brave Sword, which had 4 hits and he died after 3. Azura evaded a 66% hit that would have oneshottet her and Hana was attacked by 2 or 3 enemies and evaded at least 2 or even 3 attacks, she also would have died if a single one of them would have hit her.

Birthright endgame is easy to 1-turn, that's how you don't lose anyone.

Finally finished M&L dream team, and loaded the limited edition that I got yesterday from post to my 3DS. And hopefully tomorrow I will have time to try it out! It's been a long wait but hopefully worth its while :)

Hollycat

So, I've beaten all three paths and still haven't figured out how to use the units you select when you beat the game.

Also, Jesus Christ. Lunatic classic is a fucking nightmare. Even the freaking tutorial levels are insanely hard.

Had to switch back to hard mode after the level with the tunnels in revaluation because everyone except Corrin was getting one shot in the next map

woopWOOP

So apparently you can hire other people's main characters through Streetpass again like you could in Fire Emblem Awakening? Kind of?
I've got one standing in my castle now, us there a way to make him/her join my party?
I figure you can you'd have to battle them again, but I'm not sure if the battle should be in my or their castle.
...Actually, what's the difference between the two scenarios. Earn more loot when you win a battle at someone else's castle?

Sölf

So apparently you can hire other people's main characters through Streetpass again like you could in Fire Emblem Awakening? Kind of?
I've got one standing in my castle now, us there a way to make him/her join my party?
I figure you can you'd have to battle them again, but I'm not sure if the battle should be in my or their castle.
...Actually, what's the difference between the two scenarios. Earn more loot when you win a battle at someone else's castle?

If you beat them in your castle you can redruit one of their units.

If you beat them in their castle you can either recruit one of their units or buy one of their skills for a reduced price. I actually don't know how exactly that works, as it seems it only works for skills the character doesn't already have.

NeonZ

So, I've beaten all three paths and still haven't figured out how to use the units you select when you beat the game.

Just talk with your castle's caretaker and choose the logbook. The units you saved at end-game will be there available to be bought as guest einherjar units (or to buy their skills for your own characters). You can use the logbook screen itself to update captured and Amiibo units too, it's only the main cast that needs endgame in order to update them.

If you battle in their castle without a handicap, you can recruit their avatar or learn skills from them. Always the best way to go.

McNum

Hm, tried out Boo Camp since I think my main team in Birthright is pretty much getting there, but a few of them need a couple of level ups to catch up, so why not try the EXP map for that?

But I have a few questions for that.
Is there any way to tell which enemies will attack and which will run? The Awakening DLC map had them all run, but these send some to fight, and some to run.

Also, this map does not seem all that friendly towards training lower-level characters. Does it scale with chapter like I suspect? So running it at Chapter 7 will be easy, but running it later will be difficult?

Codeblue

Sölf;204745014 said:

What I did for the last Birthright chapter:

I only brought 2 characters with me (Corrin and Ryoma), paired them, loaded them with every stat increase item I had and bought 2 of every tonic for them and let Ryoma tank it. That's the only way I could clear it on Lunatic without someone dying.

NeonZ

Hm, tried out Boo Camp since I think my main team in Birthright is pretty much getting there, but a few of them need a couple of level ups to catch up, so why not try the EXP map for that?

But I have a few questions for that.
Is there any way to tell which enemies will attack and which will run? The Awakening DLC map had them all run, but these send some to fight, and some to run.

Also, this map does not seem all that friendly towards training lower-level characters. Does it scale with chapter like I suspect? So running it at Chapter 7 will be easy, but running it later will be difficult?

Yes, it scales. Gold Faceless won't attack, while green ones will attack, if one of your units is in range (otherwise they'll just run away too). Gold ones generally give more experience.

Hollycat

Just talk with your castle's caretaker and choose the logbook. The units you saved at end-game will be there available to be bought as guest einherjar units (or to buy their skills for your own characters). You can use the logbook screen itself to update captured and Amiibo units too, it's only the main cast that needs endgame in order to update them.
Thank you!

McNum

Yes, it scales. Gold Faceless won't attack, while green ones will attack, if one of your units is in range (otherwise they'll just run away too). Gold ones generally give more experience.
Thanks! So, if I need to train a lowbie, I should mark the green ones to have the actual danger zone displayed. That's not going to be relevant for this game, but for my Revelations game, it might be.

I hope I don't need to use this all too much in Conquest next, but I'm not shy about using it to get unstuck if I have to.

Sölf

Well, I started Conquest now, but only on Hard. Birthright already had some real bullshit chapters, I am not going to do a blind Lunatic run of the harder route.

And yeah, off to a great start. Had to restart chapter 7 already... xD

Also, for chapter 8:
Is Flora recruitable? If so, do I need Felicia for that? Because I would like to bench her for Mozu, who can actually do shit unlike her.

Sölf;204768729 said:
Well, I started Conquest now, but only on Hard. Birthright already had some real bullshit chapters, I am not going to do a blind Lunatic run of the harder route.

Also, for chapter 8:
Is Flora recruitable? If so, do I need Felicia for that? Because I would like to bench her for Mozu, who can actually do shit unlike her.

Flora is not recruitable in the chapter. However, fully upgrading the Magic Orb (I think that's the one) in your Castle and then completing a map will have her join when you return to your Castle. At least that's how I think it works.

Azuran

Banned
Thanks! So, if I need to train a lowbie, I should mark the green ones to have the actual danger zone displayed. That's not going to be relevant for this game, but for my Revelations game, it might be.

I hope I don't need to use this all too much in Conquest next, but I'm not shy about using it to get unstuck if I have to.

If you need to train a low leveled character, you're better off scouting challenges. Boo Camp is annoying when the Faceless start to scale.

Shinypogs

Sölf;204768729 said:

Also, for chapter 8:

flora auto recruits herself after you get a magic turret upgraded to level 3 and complete any battle be it dlc, my castle or chapter. This can't happen earlier than chapter 19.

FluxWaveZ

Holy shit, sometimes I never want to play this game again.

Conquest Ch. 12
Reached Ryoma and it's turn #14. Pretty much the whole map has been cleared; both chests opened and my entire army is surrounding the boss. Decide to land the penultimate blow with Corrin at 29 HP. He miraculously crits during that skirmish for 30 HP; game over.

Having a much harder time on Hard in Conquest than I did in Birthright, but I suppose that's to be expected.

Azuran

Banned

Conquest Ch. 12
Reached Ryoma and it's turn #14. Pretty much the whole map has been cleared; both chests opened and my entire army is surrounding the boss. Decide to land the penultimate blow with Corrin at 29 HP. He miraculously crits during that skirmish for 30 HP; game over.

Having a much harder time on Hard in Conquest than I did in Birthright, but I suppose that's to be expected.

Ryoma is the favored son of the RNG goddess. Always expect the worse when you're facing him

Conquest Ch. 12

If you want to take him out, either have someone with a bronze weapon or have Camilla Dual Club him in the face.

FluxWaveZ

Ryoma is the favored son of the RNG goddess. Always expect the worse when you're facing him

I should have kept this in mind after being reminded of it so often in Birthright.

If you want to take him out, either have someone with a bronze weapon or have Camilla Dual Club him in the face.

I did send Camilla first, though I should have really taken my time after that. I never had to really pay attention to those minor percentage risks and unique character abilities until Hard Conquest. Guess it's what's pushing me to not change the difficulty, too.

PK Gaming

Conquest Ch. 12

Just had the same thing happen to me in FE7 yesterday so I feel the salt.

If you have it, what you want to do is have Camilla fight him with the Dual Club. It will kill Ryoma's accuracy/damage against her. Especially if she has defense support.

EDIT: beaten

FluxWaveZ

If you have it, what you want to do is have Camilla fight him with the Dual Club. It will kill Ryoma's accuracy/damage against her. Especially if she has defense support.

EDIT: beaten

Oh, that weapon specifically. I see. Before I engaged with him at all, I successfully used an Enfeeble staff on him, but that clearly wasn't sufficient.

Ladekabel

Is there a guide or something where I can read about changing classes? Don't think I did it in Awakening and now I got several seals already but don't know how to use them the best. I'm on Birthright, Chapter 11.

I'd spent a bit of time with Birthright in the Japanese version, but I hadn't really gotten far enough to run into any of the bigger maps with all the reinforcements. I do understand a lot of the complaints I'd read about Birthright now, the maps can be a bit tedious. On Lunatic, it's more of an prolonged endurance run! I'm not looking forward to Conquest's story as much, but bring on on those maps!

Map complaints aside, the music is gorgeous, and I'm really enjoying the Hoshido gang (and their gorgeous designs). 8-4 did such a great job localising/casting Awakening, I do have to admit Treehouse with Fates seems like a bit of a step back. Some of the female VA in particular sound like they grabbed random women off the street, jammed a mic into their face, and were told to speak a few lines. That being said, I think I enjoy Laura Bailey's Elise and Matthew Mercer's Ryoma more than their Japanese counterparts, though I do miss hearing OUGI. English!Xander is also a bit of a surprise after super-deep Kamina!Marx. I'll have to get Xander some bitchin' sunglasses, regardless.

Also, goddamn, I now understand the power of the RNG gods. Back when I played Awakening, I don't think I really paid attention to different character growths. I was experimenting with a few different Corrins (voices/etc), and one Corrin had ludicrous growths in comparison to the others - I kept making new Corrins to see if I could beat her growth by Chap. 6. Nope, she was a freak of nature. She's evened out now a bit, though, but sheesh.

PK Gaming

Oh, that weapon specifically. I see. Before I engaged with him at all, I successfully used an Enfeeble staff on him, but that clearly wasn't sufficient.

Yeah the Dual Club and weapons of its archetype are very effective in this game. It's part of the reason why Camilla is so dominant since she has control over the weapon triangle.

Btw, if you're fond of Leo or just magic users in general, definitely make sure to get Odin married to someone, since his daughter's paralogue comes with a similar weapon triangle controlling weapon for magic users (and other, very useful tomes). Though it might be too late if Odin has fallen behind...

Top Bottom