• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

woopWOOP

No. If you want Corrin to promote, you use a Master Seal on him or her. Same as most other characters. If they hit level 20 and it says MAX, you need a Master Seal to continue leveling. Unless it's level 20 of a promoted class, then you need an Eternal Seal, but don't worry about that for now.

Felicia, Jakob, and Azura break the rules. They don't promote. They just hit level 21.
I was wondering about Felicia and Jakob, because it seems other units can be promoted to their maid/butler classes aswell. I'm guessing it's just those two that level beyond 20 and the others will cap at 20?

Also, reading up on those Eternal Seals... I guess promoting characters down a class and looping their level gains back and forth is no longer an option in Fates? (because in that case I better plan gaining those specific job skills a little better :x)

No. If you want Corrin to promote, you use a Master Seal on him or her. Same as most other characters. If they hit level 20 and it says MAX, you need a Master Seal to continue leveling. Unless it's level 20 of a promoted class, then you need an Eternal Seal, but don't worry about that for now.

Felicia, Jakob, and Azura break the rules. They don't promote. They just hit level 21.
Ah, thanks for the help!

Draxal

I was wondering about Felicia and Jakob, because it seems other units can be promoted to their maid/butler classes aswell. I'm guessing it's just those two that level beyond 20 and the others will cap at 20?

Also, reading up on those Eternal Seals... I guess promoting characters down a class and looping their level gains back and forth is no longer an option in Fates? (because in that case I better plan gaining those specific job skills a little better :x)

Skills are easier to get now as you can learn skills though multiplay.

NeonZ

You gain skills from previous levels of your new class tree at a rate of one per level. And, like mentioned above, you can buy skills using characters from other players or even your own from different files.

They start with unpromoted unit base stats, but already in promoted classes (resulting in somewhat higher stats than the other units initially), but they gain experience like unpromoted units and can level up to 40 without using Eternal Seals.

Shinypogs

I'm getting rekt at chapter 10 of Birthright as in I always lose one unit, and contrary to Awakening I chose to play it classic style, and now I can't change it ;_;

Any tips ? Or should I just stop getting frustrated of resetting for the 10th time I lose one unit and just redo the game but with a casual difficulty ?

You can change from classic to casual (but cannot change back if you choose to do so) go to the difficulty options on the overworld pick the difficulty you want and then after that it will give you an option to change from classic to casual. I would suggest trying to stick out classic though, it really does improve your play when there are consequences.

As for tips: Your new unit is great here, use them and sing for them every turn if you can. Position units so they can dual strike off this new recruit if possible. Tonics and pre battle meals help a lot if you're really struggling on any chapter. Remember its okay to put a healer or azura in what looks like a dangerous spot to heal/sing if silas can shelter them before your turn ends. You can also do some fancy transfer into singing/healing again shenanigans afterward.

woopWOOP

Skills are easier to get now as you can learn skills though multiplay.
You gain skills from previous levels of your new class tree at a rate of one per level. And, like mentioned above, you can buy skills using characters from other players or even your own from different files.

They start with unpromoted unit base stats, but already in promoted classes (resulting in somewhat higher stats than the other units initially), but they gain experience like unpromoted units and can level up to 40 without using Eternal Seals.
Oh right, forgot about you learning skills from your previous classes first. That makes things a lot less troublesome. Thanks guys!

Still a bit annoying you gotta spend dough to level further. I remember it took forever for my Awakening units to reach max Res. Gonna have to abuse the casual mid-battle save for that I guess.

Yeah, I'm having fun with the dlc map, much better than the Awakening's equivalent.

My only pet peeve is that they have the best battle theme ... in Fire Emblem history locked behind dlc and you only hear it for a couple seconds every time.

Pfft, I was close to proposing a bet with you about Roy and Sigurd's Fatesized sprites showing up in mobage.
What theme is that? I didn't really get much DLC this time

Kensuke

I guess I don't really understand how the dual guard system works exactly. My paired up unit with a fully charged shield (bar was blue) didn't block an attack from a general and killed me. Up until now it had always blocked the attack and drained the shield. What am I missing? Does the weapon triangle ignore it (enemy had spear vs. my sword)?

I guess I don't really understand how the dual guard system works exactly. My paired up unit with a fully charged shield (bar was blue) didn't block an attack from a general and killed me. Up until now it had always blocked the attack and drained the shield. What am I missing? Does the weapon triangle ignore it (enemy had spear vs. my sword)?

That shouldn't be happening. Did the general attack twice?

The attack might have been the one that charged up the shield bar to max as it hit, so you will still see a full bar as one of your units get killed.

Pls! Need help! I'm having serious problems deciding what difficulty level to go with.

I have the limited edition which seems to go in order of "birthrigth" -> "conquest" -> "revelation"

I think I played Awakening through with Hard-Classic. And found that pretty good sweet spot, but I had few battles I struggled with. Now I'm worried that having less time to play and trying to go through all the battles without losing a single character will be too much of a burden if the general level of difficulty is higher than what we had with awakening... But I don't want the battles to be too easy either.. Would normal-classic turn out to be to easy and provide no challenge? I'm even considering going Hard-Casual but I fear that the change to lose a character will take something away, and make the game yet again too easy...

So what do you think? Is going through with hard-classic be more difficult than awakening or should I go with Normal-classic?

NeonZ

Pls! Need help! I'm having serious problems deciding what difficulty level to go with.

I have the limited edition which seems to go in order of "birthrigth" -> "conquest" -> "revelation"

I think I played Awakening through with Hard-Classic. And found that pretty good sweet spot, but I had few battles I struggled with. Now I'm worried that having less time to play and trying to go through all the battles without losing a single character will be too much of a burden if the general level of difficulty is higher than what we had with awakening... But I don't want the battles to be too easy either.. Would normal-classic turn out to be to easy and provide no challenge? I'm even considering going Hard-Casual but I fear that the change to lose a character will take something away, and make the game yet again too easy...

So what do you think? Is going through with hard-classic be more difficult than awakening or should I go with Normal-classic?
You should be able to go through Birthright and Revelations on Hard without many problems. You might want to lower Conquest to Normal though. That's the campaign with a higher difficulty level.

Lynx_7

I'd actually advise trying Conquest/Hard-Classic first rather than Normal. I also made the jump from Awakening/Hard-Classic to Conquest/Hard-Classic and managed just fine. I even got through the dreaded chapter 10 without fully understanding how shield mechanics worked at the time so it's definetely not as impossible as some might have you believe, and some chapters are relatively easy even on Hard. You just gotta be careful and really analyze all your options and possible outcomes before commiting to an action.

Besides, you can always lower the difficulty later if you find it too overwhelming anytime you want, meanwhile raising the difficulty isn't an option.

Sölf

Oh boy, just beat chapter 9 and 10 of the Nohr campaign.

Chapter 9:
Had to restard a few times until I understood how the enemies behave regarding Azura. Also, actually pulling the first 5 enemies didn't work twice, so I also had to do something there. I either blocked one of the reinforcement archers or only 2 of them spawn, they did take me by suprise as half my army and especially my tanks were half dead. Had to block chokepoints in order to not die.

The boss himself was also one of those where 60% was a high hit rate. Seriously, if one of my attacks had missed he would have killed someone on the enemy phase.

Chapter 10:
Good lord, what a chapter! I beat it on try 3, I think, but holy shit that was intense! In the end, Takumi, Hinata, 3 Ninjas on the west side and a few archers and fighter on the east side survived. Most of my army was half dead most of the time and since I stopped using Felicia I only had a single healer. Thank god for Dragonstone tanking Corrin and best tank ever Effie.

I will probably bench Beruka and Odin next, as Selena is a must have for me and I wanted to make Corrin x Camilla from the get go. Even though, Corrin x Nyx is tempting, I already love her.

I also had Gunthers child unlocked, but since I didn't even have enough units to deploy after chapter 9, I thought it would be better to wait 1-2 more chapters. That map also looks horrible, so many enemies, dear god. xD

Sölf;204841773 said:

Chapter 9:
Had to restard a few times until I understood how the enemies behave regarding Azura. Also, actually pulling the first 5 enemies didn't work twice, so I also had to do something there. I either blocked one of the reinforcement archers or only 2 of them spawn, they did take me by suprise as half my army and especially my tanks were half dead. Had to block chokepoints in order to not die.

The boss himself was also one of those where 60% was a high hit rate. Seriously, if one of my attacks had missed he would have killed someone on the enemy phase.

Chapter 10:
Good lord, what a chapter! I beat it on try 3, I think, but holy shit that was intense! In the end, Takumi, Hinata, 3 Ninjas on the west side and a few archers and fighter on the east side survived. Most of my army was half dead most of the time and since I stopped using Felicia I only had a single healer. Thank god for Dragonstone tanking Corrin and best tank ever Effie.

I will probably bench Beruka and Odin next, as Selena is a must have for me and I wanted to make Corrin x Camilla from the get go. Even though, Corrin x Nyx is tempting, I already love her.

I also had Gunthers child unlocked, but since I didn't even have enough units to deploy after chapter 9, I thought it would be better to wait 1-2 more chapters. That map also looks horrible, so many enemies, dear god. xD

Gunther doesn't have a child
Nor should you even have him at that point.

Also Nyx is pretty bad. Sure she's got better magic than Odin but she can't take a hit, has poor skill which means she will have trouble hitting enemies with stronger weapons and has bad growths outside of magic, speed and arguably resistance. Odin meanwhile has better bulk, will have little problem hitting enemies, has better overall growths despite magic and speed being a bit shaky and can even be reworked into a more physical unit via heart sealing into a swordfighter or by promoting into a dark knight, giving him both tomes and swords.

McNum

So, first of all, thanks for the warning about Birthright Chapter 15.

But now I'm curious...
Since I had an A-rank between my avatar and Kaze, he lived. How does he die if you don't? Does he fall into the cliff at the end, or does the Wolfskin kill him at the start?

As an amusing aside, I think four seals of various types got used during that battle. Going to grab Sol from Hero for my avatar and then go back to Hoshidan Noble for that skill that makes skills happen more.

redcrayon

Sölf;204841773 said:

Chapter 9:

Chapter 10:

I just played Nohr chapter 10 too, fantastic battle. Really had me on edge, especially once the
water level drops and the map opens up for infantry. Agree on Effie- I had her break that bit of wall to the left of the central ballista, and stand in the gap with a javelin equipped. She took out at least ten enemy troops, including several ninjas, on her own.

Nohar

Beat chapter 12 Conquest (Hard/Classic). It was an ugly win, I could have killed more enemies and maybe try to kill
Ryoma
, but I was fed-up with that map. I brought everyone to the center,
broke all the post, killed the enemies from the north while not moving too far ahead to avoid making the archers in the south pop, opened the treasures and got the hell away.

I am frustrated with my units. I want to use Arthur, but his stats are terrible (I got awful level-ups). I like Effie, but she still has 14 (+2) Defense at level 15 (Silas has 16 on the same level). I like Mercenaries, but I don't know if keeping both Selena and Lazlow is a good idea. Arg... Anyhow, I reclassed Jakob to Paladin, and I'll recruit his son as my new secondary healer (with +MAG Corrin as his mother, he better have a decent MAG growth).

I unlocked a bunch of paralogues, but didn't do any yet. I am in quite a conundrum: if I do these too early, the exp awarded might be a little low for my party, and you can't bring that many units early in the game (so I would have no choice but to bench units, who will need to catch up eventually), but waiting for too long would leave me with maybe too hard chapters.

Shinypogs

Beat chapter 12 Conquest (Hard/Classic). It was an ugly win, I could have killed more enemies and maybe try to kill
Ryoma
, but I was fed-up with that map. I brought everyone to the center,
broke all the post, killed the enemies from the north while not moving too far ahead to avoid making the archers in the south pop, opened the treasures and got the hell away.

I am frustrated with my units. I want to use Arthur, but his stats are terrible (I got awful level-ups). I like Effie, but she still has 14 (+2) Defense at level 15 (Silas has 16 on the same level). I like Mercenaries, but I don't know if keeping both Selena and Lazlow is a good idea. Arg... Anyhow, I reclassed Jakob to Paladin, and I'll recruit his son as my new secondary healer (with +MAG Corrin as his mother, he better have a decent MAG growth).

I unlocked a bunch of paralogues, but didn't do any yet. I am in quite a conundrum: if I do these too early, the exp awarded might be a little low for my party, and you can't bring that many units early in the game (so I would have no choice but to bench units, who will need to catch up eventually), but waiting for too long would leave me with maybe too hard chapters.

Benny* and Xander's children have the paralogues I've seen the most people struggle with doing the later the game gets compared to other children on their route. (None of the route neutral children have particularly demanding paralogues even on hard and right before endgame.) *I find this one less problematic myself if you've got two fliers and Azura but your results may vary. Waiting to do the paralogues has worked out better for me for the most part, although if you know you won't use a kid and a few of your units are lagging behind it's not a big deal to pop into a paralogue and try to even out your team a bit since if units are already just a few levels behind the paralogue should be just right to get them a level or two and you shouldn't need more than 1-2 of your strongest units to make sure the weaker once don't get over whelmed.

I am sorry Effie is letting you down, she's normally so dependable. Arthur is well.. he's often either useless or a crit dispensing god. He needs resources put into him though and if you took -luck as your bane then you're going to be fighting over who gets the goddess icons. If you want to commit to using him I'd suggest popping luck and skill tonics on him regularly and removing gamble, if you haven't already, until his skill stops being trash.

Woohoo, beat Revelation.

Almost screwed up the final chapter when I forgot
you need to fight the core after defeating the head. Thank heavens I had some healers on standby.

Sölf

Managed to beat Arthur's Paralogue to recruit Percy. That shit was hard, I had to restart I think 2 or 3 times, but you had so much to watch out for. So many enemies and every one of them had at least something nasty. And it only got worse the longer the chapter went on. Well, I could have used the Dragon Veins, but eh, I needed the EXP. xD

Mozu reached level 11 (was 8 before I think) and many more also got some juicy exp. And Percy is great, if I have enough room I will use him.

exfatal

My god im am sooo sad like wtf man
My nigga Kaze died wtf man! fuck story line deaths fuck fuck fuckity fuck
im soo sorry for calling u weak and thinking of using Kagaro instead :( FORGIVE ME!!!!!

McNum

I am beginning to adore my Felicia.

Did Paralogue 3, hadn't noticed the boss' attack range.
So he went after Felicia. That was his first mistake. Silver Bow in hand, he had to watch as she tore two thirds of his HP away with her Flame Shuriken. He missed, too. Then the ships separated as the big man ran away from the timid maid.

She's frail, but she packs a whallop. I'm pretty sure that if she and my avatar were to face off, she'd win.

Sölf;204869049 said:
Managed to beat Arthur's Paralogue to recruit Percy. That shit was hard, I had to restart I think 2 or 3 times, but you had so much to watch out for. So many enemies and every one of them had at least something nasty. And it only got worse the longer the chapter went on. Well, I could have used the Dragon Veins, but eh, I needed the EXP. xD

Mozu reached level 11 (was 8 before I think) and many more also got some juicy exp. And Percy is great, if I have enough room I will use him.

You get gold instead of EXP if you use the Dragon Veins. Just FYI.

ohlawd

hahah hot damn, good thing that Oni Chieftain went for those green units in Paralogue 3 Birthright. that thing was stronger than anyone on the field, enemy included

BowieZ

Banned
Has anyone else experienced their system shutting off when closing the lid? It's happened a few times for this game but not others.

My god im am sooo sad like wtf man
My nigga Kaze died wtf man! fuck story line deaths fuck fuck fuckity fuck
im soo sorry for calling u weak and thinking of using Kagaro instead :( FORGIVE ME!!!!!
I restarted my game because I found out you could save him if you had A support with him.

Dee Dee

Birthright #14 is a slog. You know the reinforcements are coming but damn.
Landslide

I felt chapter 14 was only there to give you a
Beastslayer
so that you can completely steam roll through chapter 15.
Chapter 16 was laughably easy as well up to a specific choke point on the map.

I need supports to finally do some paralogues, but it's hard:
Ryoma has been practically soloing every map ever since I got him. I had to start grinding challenges to give other people any XP or supports.
The guy is ridiculous.

I do not look forward to facing him from the Conquest side. But then, I played (and heavily lost against) a Conquest player in a castle battle yesterday. The Nohr nobles are a bunch of scary mages, which is something I completely lack on Birthright at the moment.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Ew. Why would they do that? Villager sucked on purpose.

Her class options also aren't as good as Donnel in Awakening. Your options are to struggle through with villager, which is a waste of a deployed character, or reclass to archer which just makes her a worse Niles or apparently just bad/useless in Birthright.

Once you promote her she has some decent options, but that means reclassing early (which completely negates her "gimmick" by losing levels worth of stat boosts) or struggling through with a poor character for a good chunk of the game.

I ended up making her a Dread Fighter early on and she worked out well, but that's practically cheating.

Yeah, sorry, I meant just "not" raise them. The "not" ended up lost somehow.

But Awakening was the one that did that. Villager had lower bases, and no promotion of its own, but it still counted as a base class, hurting Donnel's class selection. Villager this time doesn't have stupidly low bases, and it has promotions of its own. So, they just improved the class overall. Mozu is still initially underpowered, but just because she comes at level 1 when your team will be close or at level 10. What they nerfed was the Aptitude skill though, which gives a lower growth bonus this time.

Villager didn't really count as a base class for Donnel, he had both Mercenary and Fighter as well. Mozu just has Villager and Archer.

ZeroX03

Banned
I got Mozu to like 18 as Villager, reclassed to Archer for the skills, promoted to Sniper. She's beast now.
Also used buffing items on her.

Nohar

Well, Charlotte has an... intriguing design. At least she has better stats than Arthur, despite joining at a lower level, although she still has low base stats compared to nearly everyone else, HP nonwithstanding. Also that is one atrocious Resistance stat. Oh well, at least I don't have to worry about every single enemy unit able to critical hit her, so I guess I will use her from now on. I want a Berserker.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Well, Charlotte has an... intriguing design. At least she has better stats than Arthur, despite joining at a lower level, although she still has low base stats compared to nearly everyone else, HP nonwithstanding. Also that is one atrocious Resistance stat. Oh well, at least I don't have to worry about every single enemy unit able to critical hit her, so I guess I will use her from now on. I want a Berserker.
Pair her up with Xander and watch the heads roll

Nohar

So, beginning of chapter 14...

Oh, nice version of Azura's song!

... Seriously? You don't notice that the blue haired dancer and Azura are the same person right away? SERIOUSLY CORRIN?!

Also unlocked the paralogue for Arthur's son:
Well, I married Arthur to Azura in order to have a child with at least some luck... I... Well, it seems I may have overdid it. Damn, he has very good stats. Sure, he looks absurdly ridiculous (whereas Arthur looks ridiculous, but in a good way), but he seems to be an interesting unit (and, well, if one wants to use Arthur then you have to use his son in conjunction to counterbalance Arthur's weakness).

NeonZ

Villager didn't really count as a base class for Donnel, he had both Mercenary and Fighter as well. Mozu just has Villager and Archer.

Characters in Awakening had 3 base classes, not 2 (like Chrom with Lord, Cavalier and Archer). So, villager did take up one of Donnel's class lines in spite of the lack of promoted version. They reduced to two base classes in Fates because they added the Friendship and Partner seals. So, in Mozu's case, she also easily can get access to Spear Fighter in Birthright and Knight in Conquest too (with the friendship seals). The characters who can only S rank the avatar get 3 base classes though.

Also, Archer Mozu has better growth than Niles in everything besides magic and resistance (which is equal with aptitude). She isn't really an "inferior" Niles if you bother leveling her up.

Well, she's straight inferior in utility of course, because Niles gets natural access to Locktouch, Move +1, Pass, and Staves.

But Mozu's own skills as a Archer/Sniper, most notably Quick Draw and Bowfaire (way, WAAAAY down the line) will mean that she's better than Niles in at combat.

Should I use the boots I got from owning multiple paths to Corrin, or are they better on other characters?
I'd imagine them being better on characters like Effie because % wise they give her a bigger boost?

Should I use the boots I got from owning multiple paths to Corrin, or are they better on other characters?
I'd imagine them being better on characters like Effie because % wise they give her a bigger boost?
Boots are always best on either a mounted unit, lord, or dancer.
In this case just put them on Corrin.

also Revelation Mozu>>>Donnel

Azuran

Banned
Characters in Awakening had 3 base classes, not 2 (like Chrom with Lord, Cavalier and Archer). So, villager did take up one of Donnel's class lines in spite of the lack of promoted version. They reduced to two base classes in Fates because they added the Friendship and Partner seals. So, in Mozu's case, she also easily can get access to Spear Fighter in Birthright and Knight in Conquest too (with the friendship seals). The characters who can only S rank the avatar get 3 base classes though.

Also, Archer Mozu has better growth than Niles in everything besides magic and resistance (which is equal with aptitude). She isn't really an "inferior" Niles if you bother leveling her up.

Mozu is an inferior Niles cause you really don't need archers in Conquest considering most of the battling will take place in the enemy phase. Furhermore, wasting EXP on someone who requires a lot more investment in a game with limited EXP makes her even worse. Not to mention you also need to use a heart seal early on or she's completely and utterly useless for half of the game

As previoysly mentioned, Niles is vastly superior because he can do things Mozu can't. Furtheremore he starts up a a higher level with higher bow skill which means he's already putting a lot more work right from the moment you get him.

NeonZ

Mozu is an inferior Niles 4 cause you really don't need archers in Conquest considering most of the battling will tak place in the enemy phase.

I really disagree with that. Conquest is filled with enemy ninja, so two archers aren't that much. Archers' 2 range attack also allow them to be set up in positions for dual strikes. The Minibow also exists.

Furhermore, wasting EXP on someone who requires a lot more investment in a game with limited EXP makes her even worse. Not to mention you also need to use a heart seal early on so she's so completely and utterly useless.

The experience that she needs can be gotten right around her recruitment. It's hardly weighted down when it really matters.

As preciously mentioned, Niles is vastly superior because he can do things Mozu can't.
Which makes the Niles comparison all the more odd, considering how they fill different roles. Niles has a lot of utility, but his problem is that in late game he has issues damaging almost anything that isn't a mage. Mozu on the other hand, quickly becomes a reliable combat unit.

The only chapter where Mozu can engage several ninjas in a single turn is chapter 17, but a) it's one chapter b) Niles, Shura, and even Selena can do it too.

Chapter 25 lololol no Shurikenbreaker=ggwp, Mozu can file along with everyone else in only attacking on player phase

Top Bottom