• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

PK Gaming

He has,
dude was weak as all hell compared to Nyx when the army was small enough to have them both in battle at the same time.

He's pretty dreadful, lol. Joins at level 5 for some inexplicable reason and seriously weak stats.

What I like to do is turn him into a Dread Fightersince he's pretty competent as one (for some reason, he has a higher personal strength growth...) and then quickly marry him off to Elise (since nobody else wants her). Once they're married, I pretty much dump him and reap the rewards. His daughter is pretty decent too.

McNum

Hm, does the hot spring serve any purpose in the game? It seems kind of... just there. Either you enter and get chased out because it's someone of the opposite gender, or you meet someone of your own gender and talk about how the water in the hot spring is hot. Which it is. By design.

Does it do anything? Did it in the Japanese version?

NeonZ

Hm, does the hot spring serve any purpose in the game? It seems kind of... just there. Either you enter and get chased out because it's someone of the opposite gender, or you meet someone of your own gender and talk about how the water in the hot spring is hot. Which it is. By design.

Does it do anything? Did it in the Japanese version?

In the Japanese version you could control the camera, but that's the only difference. Anyway, you need to build it and upgrade to level 3
to recruit a certain character
, but that's it.

Jintor

I like the idea of My Castle but the story implementation is so half-baked they should've just jammed it into a side story mode that was magically affected by the main story.

Also I've decided I will probably go baby mode casual for Conquest because I'm getting pretty sick of Classic Hard Birthright and wasting like an hour or two each night because i inevitably fuck up seconds away from victory.

Draxal

I like the idea of My Castle but the story implementation is so half-baked they should've just jammed it into a side story mode that was magically affected by the main story.

Also I've decided I will probably go baby mode casual for Conquest because I'm getting pretty sick of Classic Hard Birthright and wasting like an hour or two each night because i inevitably fuck up seconds away from victory.

Yeah, the real benefit of casual mode for me was in game saves over the permadeath. I always manage one completely stupid avoidable death per chapter right before the boss. Resetting to that save point instead of starting from the beginning is such a boon for me.

McNum

Yeah, the battle saves are really the big reason to go for Casual.

Also, just got Caeldori. With Hinoka as her mother. So her hair is red.
...she looks awfully familiar. And her name is an anagram of Cordelia. I'm going to have to marry Selena to Subaki in Revelations now, aren't I? Because, well, I can't think of any way to annoy Selena more than that.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Holy shit, sometimes I never want to play this game again.

Conquest Ch. 12
Reached Ryoma and it's turn #14. Pretty much the whole map has been cleared; both chests opened and my entire army is surrounding the boss. Decide to land the penultimate blow with Corrin at 29 HP. He miraculously crits during that skirmish for 30 HP; game over.

Having a much harder time on Hard in Conquest than I did in Birthright, but I suppose that's to be expected.

Conquest mode on Classic is stupid. It only gets more insane after Ch.20, do yourself a favor and switch to Casual and actually ENJOY the game.

I had this game in my hand to trade in at the store, then I changed my mind and I decided to try a mission on Casual before trading it in... Now I can say it's one of the best games on the 3DS. Casual mode, is the best way to play Conquest.

FluxWaveZ

Conquest mode on Classic is stupid. It only gets more insane after Ch.20, do yourself a favor and switch to Casual and actually ENJOY the game.

I had this game in my hand to trade in at the store, then I changed my mind and I decided to try a mission on Casual before trading it in... Now I can say it's one of the best games on the 3DS. Casual mode, is the best way to play Conquest.

Noted. Stubbornness prevents me from doing that just yet, but I might have to if I truly find myself at an impasse.

PK Gaming

100% disagree.

There is no best way to play Conquest, but speaking as someone who used to prefer Casual in Awakening, there was no experience in that mode that could match the sheer joy I felt after clearing a map on Classic. Not only that, Classic helped me improve as a player. I went from struggling to beat Royal Royale with Ryoma's party, to being able to beat it with everyone's party. I was even able to clear Conquest on Lunatic because of the good habits I picked up from playing Conquest on classic.

I'm not going to disparage Casual play at all, but it lets you get away with suboptimal strategy. Like, losing a juggernaut unit like Xander or Camilla is flat out unacceptable in Classic, but you can get away with overextending those units in Casual.

I get how hard it sucks to lose a unit on the last turn is rough. Doubly so if its due to bullshit, but it's so damn easy to just speed through turns in Fates. Turning off animations and pressing start can get you through a map in no time at all.

Noted. Stubbornness prevents me from doing that just yet, but I might have to if I truly find myself at an impasse.

The last stretch of the game is genuinely challenging, but i'm positive you'll be able to overcome it.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
Thinking of getting this but I'm torn on what version. I like the mission variety of Conquest but Birthright is similar to Awakening in that you can level up outside of the story. Is there any way to do that in Conquest or is it strictly like the old ones where there was no way to grind?

Edit: I also like the Conquest cover more lol

NeonZ

pls, you just need to get gud ;)

They probably do, I know that's the case in Revelation at least (but I don't see why that would be different).
Even weapon exp is disabled though, so I'm not sure if they'd really work. I guess I'll just have to try with a character that doesn't have a statue yet in my file.

Thinking of getting this but I'm torn on what version. I like the mission variety of Conquest but Birthright is similar to Awakening in that you can level up outside of the story. Is there any way to do that in Conquest or is it strictly like the old ones where there was no way to grind?

Edit: I also like the Conquest cover more lol

You can level up support levels in Conquest through castle battles with other players' castles, but you won't get weapon exp or levels from that. There's the DLC too, of course, but you only get experience in the actual exp grinding DLC.

Tyrus

Banned
Coming directly off Awakening...

Will Birthright feel too stale in its lack of variety of mission objectives compared to Conquest?

I feel like I should do Birthright first to experience the "easier" or more "simple" side of the Fates campaigns, but Conquest's varied objectives sound really interesting to me...

I have the SE cartridge btw.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
You can level up support levels in Conquest through castle battles with other players, but you won't get weapon exp or levels from that. There's the DLC too, of course, but you only get experience in the actual exp grinding DLC.
So you can level up in DLC battles still? Do they have the relationship and gold ones still? Or just the EXP one?

NeonZ

So you can level up in DLC battles still? Do they have the relationship and gold ones still? Or just the EXP one?

Like I said, you only get experience in the exp dlc itself. There's a gold one too and one for weapons. No relationship ones yet outside of Japan.

Jintor

I simply don't have the time these days to literally throwing away an hour just to feel frustrated. It's a different matter if it's a souls game I think since that's also kinda teaching about reading reflexes or attack patterns or whatever, but I kinda don't feel like I learn too much from last-second failure in FE, so

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
Like I said, you only get experience in the exp dlc itself. There's a gold one too and one for weapons. No relationship ones yet outside of Japan.
So I'll probably get Conquest then. I played Awakening with Classic on hard with the help from the DLC so I can probably handle Conquest.

ohlawd

grinding supports with castles. around 15 turns of paired up units attacking then seize? Got a decent amount of units now so I can get a good amount of baby making done

NeonZ

grinding supports with castles. around 15 turns of paired up units attacking then seize? Got a decent amount of units now so I can get a good amount of baby making done

15? There's a limit to the amount of points that a pair can get in a single chapter. Go with 4 or 5 for each pair and then seize.

I'm getting rekt at chapter 10 of Birthright as in I always lose one unit, and contrary to Awakening I chose to play it classic style, and now I can't change it ;_;

Any tips ? Or should I just stop getting frustrated of resetting for the 10th time I lose one unit and just redo the game but with a casual difficulty ?

Jintor

Is Mozu the Donnel of this game or is she just bad?

She's pretty good when she's an archer. Once she gains some levels, she will destroy whatever you point her at. That said, she's difficult to train outside of her recruitment map, and the effort you have to put into her, compared to other units that start good and stay good, means a lot of players regard her as a poor unit overall.
I still enjoy using her though

BowieZ

Banned
Sölf;204805023 said:
Go to the Dragon Gate. You select it as if it was a playable map.
Ta!

And Mozu pays off, IMHO. She's not quite as "automatic kill" as Donnel became, as there's still a few classes she struggles with (depending on weapons you've got for her), but she comes close. And it's always extremely fun watching such a crazy transformation over a brief stretch of time.

You can always lower the difficulty and death settings on the main map, just raise them.

You cannot raise difficulty in the game, only lower them.

Also Mozu is comparatively better than Donny because (a) she doesn't have to spend 10 levels raising a weapon rank she's never going to use, (b) her join chapter isn't filled with a bunch of units that she has WTD against, making it easier to actually level her up, and most importantly (c) she is not completely outshone by everyone else in her army, and in Conquest and Revelation actually has a small niche she can contribute to as one of your earliest bow users.

Of course that requires burning a Heart Seal on her instead of making Paladin Jakob or Wyvern Lord Gunter, but them's the breaks. Why couldn't she have just started as an archer?

NeonZ

You cannot raise difficulty in the game, only lower them.

Yeah, sorry, I meant just "not" raise them. The "not" ended up lost somehow.

Shes pretty awful considering the changes they made to the villager class so now its treated as its own individual own rather than a junior class.

Ew. Why would they do that? Villager sucked on purpose.

But Awakening was the one that did that. Villager had lower bases, and no promotion of its own, but it still counted as a base class, hurting Donnel's class selection. Villager this time doesn't have stupidly low bases, and it has promotions of its own. So, they just improved the class overall. Mozu is still initially underpowered, but just because she comes at level 1 when your team will be close or at level 10. What they nerfed was the Aptitude skill though, which gives a lower growth bonus this time.

After hearing bad things about Boo Camp, I actually really liked it.

It's not quite as broken as Awakening's EXPonential Growth, but plenty of easy golden Faceless spawned for me. Plus none of them had Counter, which is fantastic : P

Azuran

Banned
I simply don't have the time these days to literally throwing away an hour just to feel frustrated. It's a different matter if it's a souls game I think since that's also kinda teaching about reading reflexes or attack patterns or whatever, but I kinda don't feel like I learn too much from last-second failure in FE, so

I actually think you learn the most from last second failures because those are the learning experiences that stick with you. I screwed up so much in Conquest because I always tended to ignore some of the newer mechanics along with skills and weapons characteristics.

I screwed up so many times in some Revelation chapters, but I do think I learned something each time.

One thing you should never forget is to check an enemy's weapons or skills and be sure not to over-commit near the end, unless necessary : P

McNum

And remember to always check if enemy reinforcements have... interesting skills or weapons. It's easy enough to check the initial enemies, just L-button through them and check for bows, Beastkillers, and Killer weapons as well as skills, but that unassuming guy with sword who spawned a few turns in might be a lot of trouble, so check!

Also, it's a little annoying to have a whole lot of level 19 characters with just a tiny bit of EXP to go to 20. Needing to pack Master Seals for the fight itself and waste a turn to not waste EXP. I miss the Tellius style bonus EXP sometimes. I used to top off everyone who was at 80 or more EXP in the base with that.

Draxal

After hearing bad things about Boo Camp, I actually really liked it.

It's not quite as broken as Awakening's EXPonential Growth, but plenty of easy golden Faceless spawned for me. Plus none of them had Counter, which is fantastic : P

Oh you didn't get the Japanese DLC? Slacker.

I just got wrecked in kid dlc 4 yesterday for a stupid ass reason SPOILER TIME.
Caeldori swordcaught my Velouriad/Siegbert le sigh

redcrayon

And remember to always check if enemy reinforcements have... interesting skills or weapons. It's easy enough to check the initial enemies, just L-button through them and check for bows, Beastkillers, and Killer weapons as well as skills, but that unassuming guy with sword who spawned a few turns in might be a lot of trouble, so check!

Also, it's a little annoying to have a whole lot of level 19 characters with just a tiny bit of EXP to go to 20. Needing to pack Master Seals for the fight itself and waste a turn to not waste EXP. I miss the Tellius style bonus EXP sometimes. I used to top off everyone who was at 80 or more EXP in the base with that.
You can always keep them near Corrin to use the Convoy command and take any master seal they might need from storage. What I do is keep any ninja/thief characters with a full 5 items, so when they take something from a chest it can be sent to storage, and immediately accessible to everyone else through Corrin. Quite handy late game where you are finding A/S rank weapons/staves and only have one person who can use them, who wants it immediately.

Once a character is around level 18 I give them their own seal to carry around, just in case though.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

Look, this game is really no different than an old school platformer (or a modern DKC Tropical Freeze).

You WILL fail. You're going to have to replay sections to get back to your failure point and then inch forward. The only question is: do you enjoy the game play experience enough to find that loop rewarding? Some games the answer is yes, others is no.

I find the game play loop in DKC Tropical Freeze or Shovel Knight very rewarding, so much that I will replay a level and certain sections of levels numerous numerous times to get it right. However, I didn't find that level of fun in Conquest on Classic. Yeah, some mistakes were bad choices, but others were RNG - and those are the worst to overcome when your planning and execution were on point, but then got screwed by events outside of your direct control. Maybe, they're trying to teach you about life and war - but I want to play a video game lol!

TheJoRu

This is honestly the best game I've played in quite a while, definitely this year at least. Everything is just falling into place for me. For example: at first I wasn't too keen on the My Castle feature, but as it's grown and developed I'm starting to really like having something meaningful to do between missions. And everything from graphics, music and gameplay is just superb; it does everything Awakening did well and does it a little bit better. The story's nothing special, and the dialogue is the typical melodramatic nonsense I remember from Awakening (which was my first FE), but just the fact that they establish very clear connection between you, the team you're fighting for and who you're opposing pushes Fates beyond what they did for that game where the villains just felt like random bad guys to me.

I've only gotten through most of Birthright so far, so there's so much still left to play, it feels amazing. And then there's like a dozen more games in the series to play if I so choose, goodness gracious.

Hehe, I gotta budget carefully. Otherwise how could I have afforded those Sakura cards? : P

Do any characters promote at 20 automatically? My Corrin just hit 20 but no promotion so I was just thinking promo for main characters happen at plot points.

I swear this is different to the old FE games.

McNum

Do any characters promote at 20 automatically? My Corrin just hit 20 but no promotion so I was just thinking promo for main characters happen at plot points.

I swear this is different to the old FE games.
No. If you want Corrin to promote, you use a Master Seal on him or her. Same as most other characters. If they hit level 20 and it says MAX, you need a Master Seal to continue leveling. Unless it's level 20 of a promoted class, then you need an Eternal Seal, but don't worry about that for now.

Felicia, Jakob, and Azura break the rules. They don't promote. They just hit level 21.

PK Gaming

I got wrecked
by Kana on 2 occasions. First time around, she procs Dragon Fangs and kills Siegbert. Second time around, I missed a bunch of 60~70s and one 80% from Sophie.

Wasn't too mad though. Got it on my 3rd try since there was just no way she could consistently avoid my attacks.

NeonZ

The same goes to any characters in DLC classes. They go from 19 to 20 to 21 just by leveling up, no need for Master Seals.

Jintor

I actually think you learn the most from last second failures because those are the learning experiences that stick with you. I screwed up so much in Conquest because I always tended to ignore some of the newer mechanics along with skills and weapons characteristics.

well i did learn fuck beserkers i guess

Draxal

I got wrecked
by Kana on 2 occasions. First time around, she procs Dragon Fangs and kills Siegbert. Second time around, I missed a bunch of 60~70s and one 80% from Sophie.

Wasn't too mad though. Got it on my 3rd try since there was just no way she could consistently avoid my attacks.

Yeah, I'm having fun with the dlc map, much better than the Awakening's equivalent.

My only pet peeve is that they have the best battle theme ... in Fire Emblem history locked behind dlc and you only hear it for a couple seconds every time.

Hehe, I gotta budget carefully. Otherwise how could I have afforded those Sakura cards? : P

Pfft, I was close to proposing a bet with you about Roy and Sigurd's Fatesized sprites showing up in mobage.

Top Bottom