• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

redcrayon

Should I use the boots I got from owning multiple paths to Corrin, or are they better on other characters?
I'd imagine them being better on characters like Effie because % wise they give her a bigger boost?
Depends how you play more than individual character needs. If you rely on luring enemies onto your highest defence/resistance units, advancing everyone slowly and steadily, sticking it on movement 4 foot Knights will help them keep up and thus get into more fights- you want them at the front.

On the other hand, boosting an already fast unit like a Falcon Knight with a rescue stave can create a great way of getting a wounded unit out of trouble anywhere on the map. Putting on a highly offensive unit (lords, Knights etc) will let you pick off threats before they hit your main line, and putting it on a dancer will also help them not gradually get left behind. Any healer on foot benefits from it too, as they are often slower than virtually all enemy units and most of yours too.

I tend to look at things in the view of creating a rounded, strong army rather than monster individuals. The former spreads xp around and stops over-reliance on the latter, particularly handy on siege defence missions where you need to fight at multiple choke points. Still, overpowered heroes are still useful for soloing tough situations and bosses.

Azuran

Banned
I really disagree with that. Conquest is filled with enemy ninja, so two archers aren't that much. Archers' 2 range attack also allow them to be set up in positions for dual strikes. The Minibow also exists.

In that case you can use Bow Knights with are probably better considering they get access to Shurikenbreaker and swords so at least they're not completely useless on enemy phases.

The experience that she needs can be gotten right around her recruitment. It's hardly weighted down when it really matters.

She starts at level one when most characters join at level 10 and above. That's 10 levels of experience you could have used to make someone ele even better.

Which makes the Niles comparison all the more odd, considering how they fill different roles. Niles has a lot of utility, but his problem is that in late game he has issues damaging almost anything that isn't a mage. Mozu on the other hand, quickly becomes a reliable combat unit.

The thing is that Conquest has a lot of reliable units already so that's not a huge selling point when you have people like Xander, Camilla, and Keaton which also have the ability to take hits well.

NeonZ

In that case you can use Bow Knights with are probably better considering they get access to Shurikenbreaker and swords so at least they're not completely useless on enemy phases.

With her joining chapter and chapter 11 I thought it was fairly easy to raise Mozu's bow level. Later on raising E weapon levels becomes much harder.

She starts at level one when most characters join at level 10 and above. That's 10 levels of experience you could have used to make someone ele even better.
Level scaling doesn't work like that. Her paralogue makes leveling her rather easy too if you go with everything prepared to instantly change her into an archer.

Velcro Fly

Got to Ch. 12 of Birthright when the game first came out but stopped playing. Thinking about just restarting.

I did enjoy some of the earlier chapters of the game.
I think I just finished the one on the boat with all the flying units surrounding you to attack.

I really want to make use of
Mozu but I only have her at level 7 as a villager.

i'm spoilering everything lol i don't want to ruin the game for anyone

Level scaling doesn't work like that. Her paralogue makes leveling her rather easy too if you go with everything prepared to instantly change her into an archer.

That's True Cupid Bow + Heart Seal
You can train Archer Mozu up to lv 10 without any trouble with Boss abuse.

If I'm not mistaken you get a Heart Seal on chapter 8, 9?

With Azura support and Elise you can level those 2 with mozu.

exfatal

Im on chapter 16 had to take a breather from the game. But my Mozu is lv 19 and has really impressive stats. She could hold her on alot of things trying to get her to lv 20 so i can change her class.

NeonZ

How many chapters are there in each path?

Just curious

Don't mind being spoiled with how many chapters there are btw

5 shared chapters that can be skipped after a first playthrough, then the decision point chapter which has the same set up and map, but different enemy and ally arrangement based on the route, then 22 unique story chapters afterwards in each route (although some locations are reused).

There are also 6 shared paralogues and 8 unique ones for Conquest and Birthright. Revelation has 22 paralogues overall, but it's just reusing all paralogues from the basic routes. There are also 3 optional invasion battles, where enemies attack your own custom castle and you need to stop them from seizing the throne.

Nohar

How many chapters are there in each path?

Just curious

Don't mind being spoiled with how many chapters there are btw

Chapter "Prologue" through 5 are all shared between games.

In Birthright, you have a total of
28, if you count the double chapter
. I guess it is the same for the other games. Do note that paralogues aren't counted, and you have roughly
paralogues in each game (so roughly
I think in Revelation, since you can combine both exclusive paralogues).
And I'm not counting castle battles.
So, yeah, you have a bunch of chapters, all things considered.

5 shared chapters that can be skipped after a first playthrough, then the decision point chapter which has the same set up and map, but different enemy and ally arrangement based on the route, then 22 unique story chapters afterwards in each route (although some locations are reused).

There are also 6 shared paralogues and 8 unique ones for Conquest and Birthright. Revelation has 22 paralogues overall, but it's just reusing all paralogues from the basic routes. There are also 3 optional invasion battles, where enemies attack your own custom castle and you need to stop them from seizing the throne.

Thank you :D

Currently at Chapter 17 so was wondering how far left for me to go :p

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
That's True Cupid Bow + Heart Seal
You can train Archer Mozu up to lv 10 without any trouble with Boss abuse.

If I'm not mistaken you get a Heart Seal on chapter 8, 9?

With Azura support and Elise you can level those 2 with mozu.

But isn't boss abuse a bit of a shit practice? Of course, it can be helpful if you have huge difficulties with the game, but it's defeating one strong selling point of the Nohr campaign, the limit on experience points.

Chapter "Prologue" through 5 are all shared between games.

In Birthright, you have a total of
28, if you count the double chapter
. I guess it is the same for the other games. Do note that paralogues aren't counted, and you have roughly
paralogues in each game (so roughly
I think in Revelation, since you can combine both exclusive paralogues).
And I'm not counting castle battles.
So, yeah, you have a bunch of chapters, all things considered.

Daaaaammmnnn

This summer is gonna be busy with FE lol

Nohar

Beginning of chapter 15 Conquest:

So that's where he ended up! Hi Gunter, long time no see. Well, his stats aren't great, but at least he can act as a meat shield for that kinda special chapter.

Gambit

so I thought my magic-boon Corrin was doing really well with his Yato and his Dragon transformation.

But then, on a whim, I bought him a Levin Sword.

WOW

He has become an instrument of destruction. Together with Flame Shuriken Felicia they now form my ultimate killing team and regluarly tear down enemies that seem too daunting for Xander and Leo.

Beginning of chapter 15 Conquest:

So that's where he ended up! Hi Gunter, long time no see. Well, his stats aren't great, but at least he can act as a meat shield for that kinda special chapter.

He's way better as a pairup bot for Corrin. Check his Personal Skill.

Nohar

Well, chapter 15 Conquest was a Corrin-fest. My Corrin leveled from level 16 to 20, I promoted her, and I was able to clean the whole map (Levin Sword ftw). I'm relieved: I won't have to worry about my Corrin for this playthrough it seems.

Also, chapter 15 epilogue:
... Huh? Real Garon looks like... this?... Huh. Also, dumbest reason for going through with a war (sure Azura, you could pick one crystal, but not two, nor come back to this place to gather more... That is ridiculous.

Just beat Birthright, had an absolute blast! The music playing during the last level is sooooo epic.

Starting conquest tomorrow, hopefully I can get through it....

Sucks that Revelations won't come out until july :-(

Birthright ending spoilers:

Azura was my wife in this playthrough, but during her goodbye and disappearence there is absolutely no mention of it. Bit lame...

FluxWaveZ

Azura was my wife in this playthrough, but during her goodbye and disappearence there is absolutely no mention of it. Bit lame...

Azura was Takumi's wife in my playthrough which made certain moments pretty weird, like the interactions after he's attacking her while possessed and she sings to bring him back.

Sölf

So I beat Nohr chapter 11 and 12.

Chapter 11:
Compared to chapter 10, this was rather easy. I beat it on the first try, but it was still somewhat tricky, especially the room with the Counter Archers and then the Ninjas right afterwards. The east side was rather easy in comparison.

Chapter 12:
Oh boy, after I actually understood how these pots work and then after actualyl getting past Saizo and Kagero, after Effie died twice to them, I beat it on the first try (I think third or fourth try overall). Managed to grab all items and even beat Ryouma, thanks to a 63% hit and 15% crit when Camilla decided to crit him. I still would have had one turn afterwards where I could either have tried to beat him (100% hit 11 damage Effie and several ~50%-60% hits from other people) or just flee. Overall, a pretty interesting and somewhat intense chapter after you explode all pots.

But isn't boss abuse a bit of a shit practice? Of course, it can be helpful if you have huge difficulties with the game, but it's defeating one strong selling point of the Nohr campaign, the limit on experience points.

That's true, but I think it's the only safe Boss to do so in conquest.

And a very easy way to put Mozu in a viable way before returning to the mains campain.

Chastten

Banned
Just started this. Finished chapter 3 just now and I have no clue what's going on.

I was all prepared to pick a path first, but instead it just threw me on a side apparently. Seems interesting enough so far, although I feel like I'm on the evil side which is a bit weird for me :p Wonder where the story takes me next.

Shinypogs

Can I get some battles and feedback @ 07727-64892-40288-38401 (NA castle). I'm trying to reach certain reward goals for my next runs (why must you be so far up the list nosferatu !) and could use any little assistance I can get. For your convenience my units are set to hold position so you can just go around them and seize the throne unless you actually wanted to fight them.

I don't have any spectacular or out of the ordinary skills on anyone but I will visit any helpers back and give them accessories. Of which I do have useful stuff like chefs hat/lottery hat/jailer mask etc.

krossj

I choose hard/ classic and this after having told myself due to awakening and previous entries to not do classic again...

Just got by chapter 13 on birthright and i just get frustrated trying to keep them all alive. Took 10+ tries to get through the chapter without loosing a character out of bad placement but more so luck (missing at a high percentage, enemy crit etc)

Perhaps i'll just start letting characters leave as its hampering my enjoyment of the game. Lunatic casual with the conquest play through could be a better solution for me if i don't drop it altogether.

Sölf

Can I get some battles and feedback @ 07727-64892-40288-38401 (NA castle). I'm trying to reach certain reward goals for my next runs (why must you be so far up the list nosferatu !) and could use any little assistance I can get. For your convenience my units are set to hold position so you can just go around them and seize the throne unless you actually wanted to fight them.

I don't have any spectacular or out of the ordinary skills on anyone but I will visit any helpers back and give them accessories. Of which I do have useful stuff like chefs hat/lottery hat/jailer mask etc.

I tried your code, but it doesn't work. What region are you in? Maybe EU <-> US doesn't work, I am from EU.

As for my code, I would also appreciate visits. My defense is actually rather high, but since I am only at chapter 13 in Nohr, my characters are only around level 12-15 (with level 2 Camilla being the exception).

My code is:
04966-81954-38972-97515

Sölf;204934497 said:
I tried your code, but it doesn't work. What region are you in? Maybe EU <-> US doesn't work, I am from EU.

As for my code, I would also appreciate visits. My defense is actually rather high, but since I am only at chapter 13 in Nohr, my characters are only around level 12-15 (with level 2 Camilla being the exception).

My code is:
04966-81954-38972-97515

Uh-huh, NA and EU are incompatible, annoyingly.

I visited your castle and it has potential. You can totally sneak around the back though ^^

Here's my EU castle if anyone wants to visit.

00924-38564
30571-48689

Yoshi

I have a question regarding the Nohr quest. I have played one of the DLC maps and saw that it is again available. Did they forget to block grinding via DLC maps :/?

Sölf

Uh-huh, NA and EU are incompatible, annoyingly.

I visited your castle and it has potential. You can totally sneak around the back though ^^

Here's my EU castle if anyone wants to visit.

00924-38564
30571-48689

Oh, the back. Yeah. Will probably change some stuff later on when I actually get higher leveld characters. xD

I am currently just visiting various castles in order to actually get some of the rewards. Visiting points are actually at around ~200 now, but I may have unlocked the 50 battle points item just now... xD

Sölf

I have a question regarding the Nohr quest. I have played one of the DLC maps and saw that it is again available. Did they forget to block grinding via DLC maps :/?

You don't get any EXP in the DLC maps or the castle fights with other players. The only exception is the EXP DLC, that one still gives EXP.

Edit: That only applies to Nohr, in Birthright (and probably Revelations) you do get EXP for all the stuff.

Yoshi

Sölf;204936903 said:
You don't get any EXP in the DLC maps or the castle fights with other players. The only exception is the EXP DLC, that one still gives EXP.

Oh, I did not realise this, thank you :).

CazTGG

So I just finished Birthright mission 17 and saw the ending of that mission...

That was quite possibly one of the most mind bogglingly stupid and nonsensical scenes I've ever seen in any game I've played it the past few years. That had actual 0 redeeming qualities and everything up to that moment and the moment itself is just the actual worst.

If Birthright is the best written route...I honestly don't know if I want to keep playing. Like, the writing in games such as FE7, while nothing special, were functioning and enjoyable regardless. The small support conversations and plot usually are a part of the reason I play the games.

Fates so far has only relied on it probably being the best playing FE game so far (in my experience) and is mediocre to abysmal in almost every other front.

Well, I guess I'll go back to blowing on and rubbing (or accidentally punching) mah waifu at home and doing the same repetitive actions indefinitely for now.

You are going to have a lot of fun when it comes to Conquest
in regards to the gameplay, the story is almost as bad as Radiant Dawn.

PK Gaming

Fates superb gameplay absolutely makes up for the mediocre writing and crappy narrative.

If you're already willing to bail now, there is pretty much no way you'll be able to experience Conquest (which has bottom tier writing but top tier gameplay).

Jintor

i said it before, but i keep getting the feeling (Birthright) the overplot is written as if each episode was, in fact, an episode of an anime and had the necessary moments, time spent, etc to develop characters, make them important etc, but that's just not the medium you're writing for dude! It's not what it is!

You are going to have a lot of fun when it comes to Conquest
in regards to the gameplay, the story is almost as bad as Radiant Dawn.

Radiant Dawn is at least is much better told then Conquest, and better characters. In fact Conquest has no good moments in its writing at all, even after accepting your choice in chapter 6, it was stupid reasoning.

The writing ruined Conquest for me, it got me thinking why am I even playing these maps, this could've been avoided. I like stories where I can accept certain events without thinking to hard about them. I left my brain off during Conquest and it was still stupid to me. If they do two versions again, I hope they put more thought on the story.

By the way,I actually enjoyed Awakenings messy story even if I have huge problems with certain areas.

Although its just me personally since I love movies, my favorites being the ones with great writing/direction

Radiant Dawn is at least is much better told then Conquest, and better characters. In fact Conquest has no good moments in its writing at all, even after accepting your choice in chapter 6, it was stupid reasoning.

The writing ruined Conquest for me, it got me thinking why am I even playing these maps, this could've been avoided. I like stories where I can accept certain events without thinking to hard about them. I left my brain off during Conquest and it was still stupid to me. If they do two versions again, I hope they put more thought on the story.

By the way,I actually enjoyed Awakenings messy story even if I have huge problems with certain areas.

Although its just me personally since I love movies, my favorites being the ones with great writing/direction

Well think Conquest like real life, when you chose wrong, everything goes wrong and you have to try to reduce the damage. However the world it's not nice to you to help with that.

NeonZ

i said it before, but i keep getting the feeling (Birthright) the overplot is written as if each episode was, in fact, an episode of an anime and had the necessary moments, time spent, etc to develop characters, make them important etc, but that's just not the medium you're writing for dude! It's not what it is!

I hope they don't go with a guest writer again.

The problem with Awakening's story was that it disappeared after the first 12 or so chapters, with most story scenes becoming very short until near end-game. They didn't need to go after some outside writer who never even wrote anything similar to Fire Emblem in the first place. They just needed to avoid doing that again (which probably happened due to budget issues, since Awakening was the first game using those 3d battle models for the story scenes, rather than just map models, sprites, alongside portraits).

Shin Kibayashi's most famous series in Japan is a detective light novel and manga, and his other works are in similar lines, like modern horror or a manga about a group that takes missions to help people. He wasn't some acclaimed fantasy or war writer. The episodic structure that's very noticeable in Fates is pretty standard in a lot of his writing, but it's in genres where that isn't seen as a problem.

Jintor

awakening's most interesting element is the time travel stuff and it's almost all jammed into side content. once the second act begins it's all downhill from there.

PBalfredo

The time travel aspect was the coolest part of Awakening's story, by far. If anything, they should have leaned into that more instead of going to the second continent.

The time travel aspect was the coolest part of Awakening's story, by far. If anything, they should have leaned into that more instead of going to the second continent.
Unfortunately that was the DLC

I still take a awakening game with alternate timeline with the children before Lucina goes back.

watershed

Banned
I wish I didn't feel this way but I just don't like the cast of characters in Fates and that's enough for me to not really enjoy playing this game. Awakening was much better in this regard.

Xenoflare

How children are handled in fates made me disregard the entire story. I will not take anything seriously in a game where hyperbolic time chamber is used as an actual cop out.

Is it really hard to just make them normal units that joins from optional paralogues? I'll be happy to see this stupid children shit go away in the next FE, but I know it's here to stay with another bullshit excuse

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
How children are handled in fates made me disregard the entire story. I will not take anything seriously in a game where hyperbolic time chamber is used as an actual cop out.

Is it really hard to just make them normal units that joins from optional paralogues? I'll be happy to see this stupid children shit go away in the next FE, but I know it's here to stay with another bullshit excuse

I assume they carried that over from Awakening since it's assumed to be part of the reason Awakening was successful. Hopefully marriage and baby making doesn't become a staple mechanic for the series, but it's hard to see it any other way at this point.

Xenoflare

I assume they carried that over from Awakening since it's assumed to be part of the reason Awakening was successful. Hopefully marriage and baby making doesn't become a staple mechanic for the series, but it's hard to see it any other way at this point.

But....Kids in Awakening at least had a narrative reason in the main story to end up where they are, it's a pretty shaky one at best but it's still realistically speaking kids in Awakening makes a lot more sense than Fates

I'm okay with the lack of age difference between the children and parents since the kids are from a time that is far into the future, but asking me to keep a straight face while accepting how kids are handled in Fates is a bit too much

I did not S support many units because of this, it just feels wrong, or in better words, stupid

Nohar

Frankly, I still can't understand why they went with this. The story is poorly told and executed, full of ass pulls and plot holes, with many things which are just handwaved and a lot of characters holding the idiot ball. Add to all of that an uncharismatic antagonist and characters with little to no depth which are just flanderized through and through, leaving many of them uninteresting if not outright dull (making it so that we have little to no attachement to them), and you got one of the worst story (if not the worst story) of the entire franchise.

I will be blunt: the only saving grace of these games is their gameplay, which is definitly one of the best of the franchise. If it weren't for that, I would have already stopped playing (because I have no other incentive to continue).

Top Bottom