• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Jintor

i don't mind baby making. ultimate fighter eugenics programs are a great reason besides the bonuses and conversations to bother with supports.

however it's all surfaced extremely badly inside the game itself (it's 2016 and you STILL need to consult an FAQ to have the vaguest idea of what's going if you haven't played a game before in the series) and the fact that the narrative contrivance on top of it is even fucking stupider than the previous game's magical time travelling shenannigans is just the cherry on the shitty child sandwich

Sölf

I actually don't have that much problem with the story (then again, I am not in for the story), but I really hope the children either just go away or at least the next game really has a generation gap like FE 4. Marriage was nice and all, but after now 3 games - 2 of them in a row - they can put that aside for a while now. Or at least remove the children if they come up with another time travel/timbe chamber excuse in order to use them.

NeonZ

As far as the children goes, I guess the idea was a way to implement them in the game, without needing to adjust the main story around their existence. Keeping them as a gameplay feature, without having the force the story to adapt to them.

The problem is that the main story ended up weak anyway, making them just seem like another in its long list of flaws, rather than a side feature irrelevant to the main premise.

Unless you went out of your way to perform eugenics to ensure optimal pairings, that's not really the case in Fates.

It's not that hard. Most children end up good if you pair two physical or magical focused parents together. It's only when you're mixing physical and magical ones that they might end up suffering. Of course, in Fates, that doesn't necessarily mean better than their parents due to units like Ryoma and Xander that have advantages that the children can't get access to.

Shinypogs

I find the kids to be hit or miss in surpassing their parents. I'm not sure it's possible to fuck up Percy to the point where he doesn't compare favourably to Arthur. Even if you gave him a nyx as a mom he'd still be salvageable with some class changing. Velouria wants Camilla as a mom for that savage blow grisly wound combo* but she's still pretty versatile. Unlike percy though it easier easier to end up with her weaker than her dad though usually not by much unless you give her a magic focused mom. Sophie usually turns out better than Silas for me but I have admittedly had the most average silas' in all of my runs while I have seen people get rng blessed with him where he is as reliable for them as Effie has always been for me ( except in rev where join time and stats fucked her royally).

* In the far future I really want to do a heavily physical focused run full of mostly berserkers and wolfskins where I marry keaton, but there is nothing a fighter into berserker avatar can offer Velouria that is better that letting her get savage blow from camilla :(

Edit: Maybe if I went Oni savage into chieftain and had death blow by the time I recruited her, hmm. I'd finish the avatar in blacksmith but dipping into chieftain for just that skill isn't bad.

PK Gaming

Re: Kids vs Parents

It depends on the kid and their respective class. Kana, Soleil and Ignatius are never going to be good. Nina, Sophie and Siegbert will good most of the time. Shigure, Percy and Velouria will always kick ass. On Conquest, they'll "take over" for most of the regular units who's combat falls off (like Silas ---> Sophie, Arthur ----> Percy, etc)

I find the kids to be hit or miss in surpassing their parents. I'm not sure it's possible to fuck up Percy to the point where he doesn't compare favourably to Arthur. Even if you gave him a nyx as a mom he'd still be salvageable with some class changing. Velouria wants Camilla as a mom for that savage blow grisly wound combo* but she's still pretty versatile. Unlike percy though it easier easier to end up with her weaker than her dad though usually not by much unless you give her a magic focused mom. Sophie usually turns out better than Silas for me but I have admittedly had the most average silas' in all of my runs while I have seen people get rng blessed with him where he is as reliable for them as Effie has always been for me ( except in rev where join time and stats fucked her royally).

* In the far future I really want to do a heavily physical focused run full of mostly berserkers and wolfskins where I marry keaton, but there is nothing a fighter into berserker avatar can offer Velouria that is better that letting her get savage blow from camilla :(

Edit: Maybe if I went Oni savage into chieftain and had death blow by the time I recruited her, hmm. I'd finish the avatar in blacksmith but dipping into chieftain for just that skill isn't bad.

I've pretty much always had Velouria surpass Keaton as a combat unit. His Speed is pretty unreliable so he stops doubling unless he has a dedicated Speed support, and beastones are meh. Fortunately, he himself is a godlike support option for Camilla, so Velouria is always picking up Trample and joining when Beastone+ is a thing. She flat out erases anything she engages with.

Nohar

Decided to do Paralogue 2 before attempting chapter 16 on Conquest. I didn't know about the reinforcements showing up (yeah for free exp!). I've been able to promote Mozu (she is good, ♪ leave her alone ♫), Niles (a second staff user is really welcomed) and Effie (who suddenly decided to have godly growths!... ABOUT TIME!). Also leveled up Charlotte quite a bit. Her Resistance is still very bad, but she is usable now at least. Not sure if I should keep
Kaze: ninjas are always good, but
his Strenght is abysmal...

We have a lot of Cavaliers in Conquest. Between Silas, Peri (joins a bit late and underleveled), Jakob (if reclassed), Xander and Sophie, that's a lot of horses.

So: General Effie (with Boots, if necessary), or Great Knight Effie?

Dee Dee

Thanks.

Yeah, it happened twice during battle and once during castle chores (which annoyingly I had to do all over) for me.

Anyone had his happen in ANY other games? i.e. the 3DS turning off when closing the clam mid-game?

Not sure, but this reminds me of an issue I had, that's apparently common in 3DSs when the battery is slightly lodged due to the 3DS being carried and knocked around:
Pressure on the area beneath the right buttons will turn the 3DS straight off in that case.
Could be what is happening when you close your case.
Taking out the battery and catefully cleaning all the contacts, then putting it back in properly fixed the issue completely for me.
You need the right screwdriver for it, otherwise it's really easy to do and might be worth a shot.

I am on the train home after a weekend at the beach aka. being anti-social and playing Fire Emblem all-day.
I just unlocked Shigure's paralogue:

"Oh this looks interesting, I wonder how this can be done... I better bring all my fliers!"

Start battle.
Thing happens.

"._."

Still looks cool, especially as I just restarted after restructuring my team, and realized how the level ACTUALLY works after turn 3.

The kid explanation is phoned in as hell. I already read here that it's bad. But this isn't just bad, it's "we REALLY ran out of creative juice so the intern drew you a picture here" crappy.

Next game needs a time skip. Just have a time portal at chapter 20 or so, the player gets to pick 5 units that accompany the avatar in the future, then you meet up with the kid units 20 years later. Any units not already S-ranked will be randomly or canonly paired up retro-actively at that point so you get a completely new unit pool AND have fun with eugenics AND interactions between kids and parents.
(IS, you can have that one for free!)

Also, fuck chapter 18.
I mean, everyone gained 3 levels on this map... but that was a proper waste of my time if I may say so.

I got Shiro, and he's a hunk and all, but I decided not to S-rank him because he is a bit of a douche. Lesson learned: Don't pick your husbando by looks only.

More things I learned over the weekend:

1) Azama with a spear is an angel of death. Holy shit.

2) You die... now! You die... now! Aaaand YOU die... now!

3) Supports are horrible in this game. 90% of my army bonds over food. S-ranks were a mistake, they are nothing but trash.

4) I got the onsen to level 3, because someone here said it would unlock something then. I was hoping it would be more useless peeping options. But when the Onsening happened, and turned out really different, I wasn't mad. Should have seen this coming tbh.

5) ♡Silas♡

6) Azama and Jakob are horrible people to others. I really need to start building support between them directly, the world will explode with snark and disgust. If they had an A+ rank (maybe they do? I didn't check), it should be just them both having a knife fight in a back alley.

7) Kaden and Selkie are awesome.
Kitsune >> Dragons >>> a rock with googly eyes glued on >>>>> Taguel

8) The story is mega-pants. Good thing the game is a freaking blast to play though.

9) I spent all my time forging weapons with the sole purpose of giving them stupid names. Setsuna is rocking "Bow Wow Wow", while Oboro wrecks people with "Marxist Agenda" and "The Noodleator". I am having an unhealthy amount of fun with this.

Decided to do Paralogue 2 before attempting chapter 16 on Conquest. I didn't know about the reinforcements showing up (yeah for free exp!). I've been able to promote Mozu (she is good, ♪ leave her alone ♫), Niles (a second staff user is really welcomed) and Effie (who suddenly decided to have godly growths!... ABOUT TIME!). Also leveled up Charlotte quite a bit. Her Resistance is still very bad, but she is usable now at least. Not sure if I should keep

We have a lot of Cavaliers in Conquest. Between Silas, Peri (joins a bit late and underleveled), Jakob (if reclassed), Xander and Sophie, that's a lot of horses.

Great Knight, so she can actually double things, beast weakness barely matters.

Draxal

Gknight. The movement and speed matters.

Nohar

Sorry if it's been asked before but;

Is there much point in doing the Paralogues in Birthright? Or should I wait for Conquest?

Well, you will miss out the children if you don't do them. It is free exp, along with a few other rewards depending on the map. You don't have to wait for Conquest to do them, not to mention they don't share all paralogues (Hoshido exclusive paralogues can't be done on Conquest, and vice-versa).

As for Effie: already turned her into a General. Oh well, I can always reclass later, I'll just give her the boots.

Lynx_7

Great Knight, so she can actually double things, beast weakness barely matters.

map-of-chapter-19-.png

Chapter 26 also has some annoying beastslayers mixed in with armorslayers at the bottom, which is doubly bad for GKs, though I guess that's more doable.

Well, you will miss out the children if you don't do them. It is free exp, along with a few other rewards depending on the map. You don't have to wait for Conquest to do them, not to mention they don't share all paralogues (Hoshido exclusive paralogues can't be done on Conquest, and vice-versa).

As for Effie: already turned her into a General. Oh well, I can always reclass later, I'll just give her the boots.

If you haven't reclassed Camilla, then might as well keep Effie as a General at least to deal with chapter 19.

Knight/General is probably the worst class line in the series as a whole, Effie is strong enough to overcome its weaknesses early and then can get Great Knight so that she doesn't have to deal with those problems anymore, but she need to go Great Knight to keep kicking ass past the early game, especially since the pace will be set by all of the other excellent mounted units the game gives you.

Shinypogs

I always go general becuase wary fighter negates being at a speed disadvantage, pavise can help deal with both hammers and armour slayers and its not too hard to get effie where she needs to be. That said some people who prefer general still dip into great knight for Luna before going back to general.

Speaking of chapter 26 and weaknesses there was nothing more amusing and yet sad than mangs realizing during his let's play that his great knight corrin was weak to beast killers and armour slayers/hammers and wyrmslayers.

I always go general becuase wary fighter negates being at a speed disadvantage, pavise can help deal with both hammers and armour slayers and its not too hard to get effie where she needs to be. That said some people who prefer general still dip into great knight for Luna before going back to general.

Speaking of chapter 26 and weaknesses there was nothing more amusing and yet sad than mangs realizing during his let's play that his great knight corrin was weak to beast killers and armour slayers/hammers and wyrmslayers.
I think I need to repeat this.

Effie can double enemies as a Great Knight.

Renewed

CQ19: That's the only chapter Benny has to be useful as a wall with a Beast Killer and that's the absolute bottom barrel.

CQ26: Hero Xander says hi.

Shinypogs

I think I need to repeat this.

Effie can double enemies as a Great Knight.
I think that's cool and I totally understand why some people would value that. Lord knows even as a knight she outsped the fuck out of benny who I also like but who gets doubled by fucking everything til he gets wary fighter.

I've never run into situations where effie wasn't either oneshotting things anyways or where I feel her having the ability to double in the late game would be more advantageous to how she performs as a general for me.

A question was asked, I gave my opinion and why I felt it was justified but others are free to disagree and play how they like. I will always prefer and recommend general effie but I'm not going to sneer at you for going great knight. Every player uses what works for them.

Moonlight

Banned
I think that's cool and I totally understand why some people would value that. Lord knows even as a knight she outsped the fuck out of benny who I also like but who gets doubled by fucking everything til he gets wary fighter.

I've never run into situations where effie wasn't either oneshotting things anyways or where I feel her having the ability to double in the late game would be more advantageous to how she performs as a general for me.

A question was asked, I gave my opinion and why I felt it was justified but others are free to disagree and play how they like. I will always prefer and recommend general effie but I'm not going to sneer at you for going great knight. Every player uses what works for them.
Her doubling isn't that important (but it can be). Her not being doubled is, without compromising a skill slot that doesn't add anything.

Revisiting this game has made me remember what a drag some of the optional content is. The characters/support conversations are usually dumb and annoying, the excuse for kids is cringe-inducing, and playing the paralogues at the end of the game makes for a really unbalanced experience.

Maybe it's me getting older, but I miss being done with a game when I'm done with it.
I have a level 20 Corrin, what class do I choose for him?
That depends on a lot of things.

What's your boon/bane and talent (or secondary class)?

TheJoRu

I love this game. I love the gameplay, the art direction, the animations, the setting, the core story idea of two opposing kingdoms with likeable characters in both, the music, the difficulty. It's so great, and there's so much of it too.

Shinypogs

Her doubling isn't that important (but it can be). Her not being doubled is, without compromising a skill slot that doesn't add anything.

Ahh yeah I hadn't thought about it from a slot efficiency angle. I still prefer general but I never fuss too much with effies skills anyways even on hard. I can see why great knight and it's speed is more valuable if you are trying to get as much as possible out of an already great unit.

Dee Dee

Chapter 19 was a bit of a joke... well, I deserved a bit of a break after grinding for paralogues all day...

Two questions:
Is Shigure an ass to every sibling or only to Kigari?

Is it worth it S-ranking Izana?

Azuran

Banned
Chapter 19 was a bit of a joke... well, I deserved a bit of a break after grinding for paralogues all day...

Two questions:
Is Shigure an ass to every sibling or only to Kigari?

Is it worth it S-ranking Izana?

Shigure is a jerk at first to all of his siblings.

Revisiting this game has made me remember what a drag some of the optional content is. The characters/support conversations are usually dumb and annoying, the excuse for kids is cringe-inducing, and playing the paralogues at the end of the game makes for a really unbalanced experience.

Maybe it's me getting older, but I miss being done with a game when I'm done with it.
That depends on a lot of things.

What's your boon/bane and talent (or secondary class)?

Meh, I just think the beast stone crap is corny, but I have Mac daddied all the ladies to a's who be the best mate?

Finished Birthright yesterday. A quick impression:

The premise of the game is promising, but how it unfolds and the dialouges are cringey. Most of the characters are tropey or just plain uninteresting. I know that people rarely play FE for the story, but for me it actually hampered my enjoyment of the game. And I seriously abhor Corrin's female voice track.

The best part of the game is of course the battle system. The battle system in Fates is improved from Awakening. Changes in pairing up made the combat more complex. Dragon veins also added another layer of strategy in conquering the map. The game actually gave me more challenge than Awakening, even though Birthright is supposed to be the easiest route.

Overall I like it. Not sure if I like it more than Awakening, but more Fire Emblem is a good thing.

McNum

Bwahaha. Getting a Dwarf Fortress vibe off this map.

Birthright 21.
Two dragon veins side by side, both with the same description: "Open a path OR flood the area with lava." That's the dwarfiest description ever.

I should consider just airlifting people to the boss, but nah... Who can resist a setup like that?

Sölf

Beat Conquest chapter 13 and Niles Paralogue yesterday.

Chapter 13:
This one was okay. Had to freeze the thief once, but it probably would habe worked out even without freeze.

Niles' Paralogue:
Oh dear god, this one was annoying. The first 2 tries I made mistakes, not seeing Wyrmslayer and whatnot (Or thinking Corrin only takes extra damage when the Dragonstone is equipped), one time Nina escaped, then I had a setup for all 3 thiefs and her not to escape just to have someone die twice. It finally worked when I used 2 Freeze staves (6 uses total) to freeze Nina immediately and after 2 or 3 turns let her run and freeze the west thief. The two on the east side where no problem for Corrin/Silas (the latter with Kodachi which oneshotted all ranged mobs) and a Camilla. But dear god, I had no way to reach the thief on the west side in time without freeze.

redcrayon

When am I supposed to upgrade units to advanced classes? Since I switched Kaze to Master Ninja he's been getting fuck all EXP
Usually when they reach level 20 of a basic class as they get xp more easily when unpromoted.

As they level up within an advanced class though, you receive comparatively less- you will reach levels where you might find that a level four advanced class is still getting ten xp from an enemy, but a level five is getting 1. When that happens, use your highest level units to pair up with others and help them instead.

General rule of thumb is don't promote until they either max out or hit 20, whatever comes first.

Usually when they reach level 20 of a basic class as they get xp more easily when unpromoted.

As they level up within an advanced class though, you receive comparatively less- you will reach levels where you might find that a level four advanced class is still getting ten xp from an enemy, but a level five is getting 1. When that happens, use your highest level units to pair up with others and help them instead.

General rule of thumb is don't promote until they either max out or hit 20, whatever comes first.

Thanks. Forgot if it was 10 or 20. It's been a while.

McNum

Today I was blessed by the RNG something fierce. Apart from getting two 6+ stat level ups, it rolled lucky for me three times during the map.

Birthright 23 spoilers
1. Hinoka needed to hit a Crit to kill an enemy. 12% chance or it would be trouble on Enemy Phase. *CRIT*
2. Kana ended up exposed to a magic attack that, dragon form or not, would one-shot her. 90% hit chance. *MISS*
3. Camila aggroed. Kaze attacked. First shot: *LETHALITY*

The game is toying with me. I really shouldn't have won that one. Something mean is coming. That or it's apologizing for the castle invasion and the pile of dead Silases that gave me.

Oh, one question. How many units should I have ready to go before the final maps? I have 14 good ones and Kana, who just promoted on that map, so she's lagging a little behind.

Xenoflare

Today I was blessed by the RNG something fierce. Apart from getting two 6+ stat level ups, it rolled lucky for me three times during the map.

Birthright 23 spoilers
1. Hinoka needed to hit a Crit to kill an enemy. 12% chance or it would be trouble on Enemy Phase. *CRIT*
2. Kana ended up exposed to a magic attack that, dragon form or not, would one-shot her. 90% hit chance. *MISS*
3. Camila aggroed. Kaze attacked. First shot: *LETHALITY*

The game is toying with me. I really shouldn't have won that one. Something mean is coming. That or it's apologizing for the castle invasion and the pile of dead Silases that gave me.

Oh, one question. How many units should I have ready to go before the final maps? I have 14 good ones and Kana, who just promoted on that map, so she's lagging a little behind.

16 IIRC

Although, if it's birthright,
you can end it in 1-2 turns easily with rescue

Fire Emblem Fates or How I Learnt To Forgo My Pride And Chose Casual Mode (And I feel Fine).

Strangely enough, I find the story in Birthright a little more disjointed than Awakening. Awakening had this kind of camaraderie feel to it, shounen tropes notwithstanding.

Greddleok

Ayyyy, I'm so excited to start playing this when I get home tonight. Probably start with Conquest, then when I go the other route I can bump up the difficulty and massage my ego.

Sölf

Fire Emblem Fates or How I Learnt To Forgo My Pride And Chose Casual Mode (And I feel Fine).

Strangely enough, I find the story in Birthright a little more disjointed than Awakening. Awakening had this kind of camaraderie feel to it, shounen tropes notwithstanding.

I will never choose casual mode. It's just no longer Fire Emblem for me then. Even if that means banging my head for hours upon hours on a mission. xD

ZeroX03

Banned
I have too many things to do to not choose casual. Hard Casual is good fun, not too grueling but you can't get complacent either.

Sölf;205056305 said:
I will never choose casual mode. It's just no longer Fire Emblem for me then. Even if that means banging my head for hours upon hours on a mission. xD
Eh, I enjoyed Awakening just fine, and I played it for 50h on Normal Casual.

Hard Classic is too hard for my taste. I also don't like the fact that in Fates some characters can die in battle but you'll still see them in story sequences. I'd rather play with them

I have too many things to do to not choose casual. Hard Casual is good fun, not too grueling but you can't get complacent either.
Exactly

Greddleok

I don't understand the "too many things to do" argument. Playing on classic doesn't stop you from doing other things, it just makes the game longer if you decide to reset.

I'm not saying classic is the only way to play, do whatever makes you happy, just that that argument doesn't hold water. Personally I think classic is the best way to play, it actually adds an element of danger to using units recklessly.

Shinypogs

Does the game remember and restore your Stats if you reclass to something with lower stat caps and then go back to your previous class?

TheJoRu

I played Awakening on Hard/Casual because it was my first game in the series and I think it hurt my enjoyment quite a bit. It was good, but I learned basically nothing. Because I hadn't truly learned how to play the game strategically with the intent of keeping everyone alive I, especially at the end, felt more inclined to brute force myself through chapters. I cared little for the characters and I never got the feeling of accomplishment completing a chapter nor the pain of losing a character, so I was pretty phlegmatic to the whole thing.

Fates on Hard/Classic has been a whole different experience. It's amazing.

ZeroX03

Banned
I don't understand the "too many things to do" argument. Playing on classic doesn't stop you from doing other things, it just makes the game longer if you decide to reset.

I'm not saying classic is the only way to play, do whatever makes you happy, just that that argument doesn't hold water. Personally I think classic is the best way to play, it actually adds an element of danger to using units recklessly.

It's not an argument. I don't want to waste time resetting and make a 30 hour game drag out to 50, it's coming from a personal place and I'm clearly not trying to tell anyone else what to do with their time.

Top Bottom