• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

McNum

I'm not against skill buying but it really breaks the game since it was made with PvP in mind. You should probably try to play Conquest at first without it.
Eh, it's a Normal/Casual playthrough to see the story and meet the characters. I even waited until Boo Camp was out to start this, just in case I got stuck. I don't want to break the game as such, but I will fight dirty if I get stuck. Or use Battle Saves for marathon chapters. I was happy to be on Casual when I reached the end of Birthright, I can only imagine the last parts of Conquest being much worse about it.

I'm not against skill buying but it really breaks the game since it was made with PvP in mind. You should probably try to play Conquest at first without it.

I almost broke Conquest Chapter 10 Hard because I gave Niles the shuriken breaker skill from someone's castle.

redcrayon

While I have a few issues with conquests story (spoilers up to chapter 13)
Like characters conveniently commiting suicide so Corrin both doesn't have the guilt of personally killing them yet benefits from their death completing the mission.
And the whole non-lethal approach when fighting with an army against an army of determined samurai and ninjas equipped with very-lethal weapons. Seriously, how do you tell archers, wyverns and lance-equipped cavalry to 'stab/bite/shoot-to-KO-only within the chaos of mass combat? Are they using rubber weapons or something? At least refer to it as 'try to keep casualties to a minimum', this whole 'thanks to Corrin suggesting our army doesn't kill anyone, nobody died!' nonsense, in an effort to keep Corrin's paragon status, is just silly. He chose to take up arms against his family and follow the King's orders, it would be a better story if he had to live with the consequences of seeing Hoshido troops cut down by his troops rather than have silly-yet-constantly-successful orders make him appear saintly compared to regular commanders. Still, it's a regular Fire Emblem Lord thing I suppose, they've come up trumps with some spectacularly stupid/suicidal plans before.

The thing that bothered me most so far was (spoilers for chapter 5)
the lack of shits given by Corrin about Gunter's death immediately afterwards. He gets rescued by pet dragon thing, couldn't he have asked 'did you save my old friend, protector and retainer too?' I wouldn't have minded if it got handwaved as 'I could only save you because you are dragon kin' etc, but he just immediately forgets about it until weeks later. He could at least have told Leo/Xander/Camilla that Hans murdered a knight, it might have been the King's orders but it seems like an odd thing to keep quiet about when trying to convince your family that stuff isn't right and a trusted, capable ally just got murdered.

Also, having finished Birthright, (spoilers up to the end, don't click if you haven't finished it)
it seems a bit odd that three teenage girl characters plus Hoshido's queen all die in cut scenes, none of them cut down in combat despite that being the main cause of death in FE. It tugs at my heartstrings more if it doesn't happen every five minutes, but it's a bit odd to keep harking on about 'such a waste of life, a pretty young girl/woman!' when a good half of the army is pretty girls/women and they seem to have some kind of inbuilt martyr status to die for the plot rather than with a sword in their hand. Is it more of a tragedy when they die like that, despite being just as highly effective combatants in FE world as everyone else (and often more so) or something?

'Senseless victims of the horrors of war!' was always treated much better in previous games when it was villagers and non-combatants getting caught up in the fighting, rather than constantly pinning it on the tragedy of pretty 'pure' female characters dying in cut scenes that make no sense. Would Flora's sister really immolate herself? I can understand young swordsmen in Romeo and Juliet killing the wrong person, but would a master paladin like Xander really manage to cut down Elise when aiming for Corrin? His fighting spirit comes across as a dutiful cold focus, not a crazed berserker. The death of Hoshido's queen as a catalyst for the good guys to go on the offensive is also reused from Awakening.
It also just comes across as an over-used story beat in a tale that concerns a whole world and multiple nations.

All in all, I love the gameplay of Fates and the return of varied objectives in Conquest, but the writing makes no sense, and relies on a bizarre approach to life and death in an effort to force drama and characterise the hero(ine) as special, rather than actually have a good story. Characters just seem to constantly get thrown away as reasons for other characters to get angry, rather than because their death or the reasons for it, even when they choose it, was a logical outcome to events or meant anything.

redcrayon

...I just met Arthur. That voice acting, it's glorious.

I want to train him up so badly now. Is he worth looking into?
The one that always cracks me up is 'thank you, sidekick!'. He always has a place on my team just for that. If you recruit his son, he eventually becomes Arthur's true sidekick. Very heartwarming. :)

McNum

The one that always cracks me up is 'thank you, sidekick!'. He always has a place on my team just for that. If you recruit his son, he eventually becomes Arthur's true sidekick. Very heartwarming. :)
That line is amazing. As well as "Team up time!" He is wonderfully anachronistic, a parody of comic book heroes played straight. How can you not love this guy? Heck, I already know who my avatar will marry if I do a female avatar playthrough later. I need to hear his romantic lines at some point.

Shinypogs

...I just met Arthur. That voice acting, it's glorious.

I want to train him up so badly now. Is he worth looking into?

Arthur can be a crit machine and a solid source of damage later on but he needs bit of setup and special care to get there. I do think he's worth working with if you love his character. Just be aware that until you get some goddess icons in him he will attack enemy crits like a lightning rod and that you may wish to remove his level 10 skill when he gets it until his hitrate is more reliable.

Almost every Arthur line is great and he has some awesome supports.

redcrayon

Arthur can be a crit machine and a solid source of damage later on but he needs bit of setup and special care to get there. I do think he's worth working with if you love his character. Just be aware that until you get some goddess icons in him he will attack enemy crits like a lightning rod and that you may wish to remove his level 10 skill when he gets it until his hitrate is more reliable.

Almost every Arthur line is great and he has some awesome supports.
Thanks for that, I was wondering why his hit rate was so low, Gamble is poor on a fighter with such low skill.

Malrend

So apparently I missed out on Sophie because I forgot to talk with her as Silas, fuck me
I'll just treat Mozu as my adoptive daughter :D

Same thing happened to me. She doesn't have to move through a wooded area and runs straight into the jaws of death.. When I finally got to her I was more focused on healing her than I was on talking to her.
Didn't notice until two chapters later, at which point I had already overwritten my backup for that particular chapter.

I lost an hour of progress on Nohr 16. I was already aware that the boss would
spawn from the last NPC you speak to. I sent Laslow to take him on, because I knew he could survive the fight. I failed to take into account the boss' Counter...

I'm on Conquest Chapter 25 (Classic Hard), the level
where you have 25 turns until Ryoma attacks
, and
if I go either left or right, the enemy surrounds my units and kills at least 1 every time

Any helpful advice? These enemies have OP skills and Rank A/B weapons...

Dee Dee

I am stuck on a stupid challenge map in chapter 20. I could Ryoma through it if I wanted, but I really need to grind supports for paralogues now, as they are already stupidly hard. Of course the only units still single in my playthrough are hilariously underleveled at this point as I never normally use them otherwise.
I could marry Jakob to Corrin, but then there are still others:

Kaze
Subaki
Azama

I already gave up on Rhajat, because I have no chance of keeping my Hayato alive in a chapter 20 paralogue.

Any must-get children from the other 3?
My Azama has been godlike + his supports are wonderful, but should I just cut the kids of Jakob / Kaze / Subaki?

Azuran

Banned
, and
if I go either left or right, the enemy surrounds my units and kills at least 1 every time

Pray to the gods because that's probably one of the toughest chapters in the game. For the left side, try to get rid of the puppets first because their lunge shenanigans and 3-range shenanigans means even Xander or Effie with 40+ DEF will have a tough time in there.

I did the right side by using an Entrap Staff on the ninjas with the Spy's shurikens because they're tough as hell to take down once the Master of Arms start getting involved. Also 40% HP debuff is insane and pretty much a guarantee death if you get hit by a couple of those attacks.

DodgeDusk

, and

I'll spoiler what I did:

On the left, you're going to want to put a unit with high defence in between the two walls on the side, just in reach of one of the Lunge units. I did it with Effie, since the Swordmasters in the room did very little damage to her. One of the Lunge puppets would pop outside of the room, ripe for easy pickings, and the other would be next to one of the walls inside the room, allowing one of my two-range units to pick them off, once Effie hit that puppet for damage.

On the right side, I picked off the closest Master of Arms unit with Xander (Selena was paired-up with him), and then had another unit walk up to him and trade so that he'd had a Javelin equipped during the enemy phase, since the next MoA unit had either a Swordcatcher or Swordbreaker (I don't remember)--with Siegfriend equipped I always found he died. During the next turn, the MoA would get picked off, then that unit would get Sheltered by Xander (someone would take Selena off him), so none of the Spy Shuriken Ninjas could hit anyone. Then I'd position Xander (with Selena) below one of the rooms with the Spy Shuriken users, so that during the next player phase they'd be in range of a Tomahawk from Arthur. If he critted, great; if not, then Xander would have to Shelter him and repeat the process. After I killed the two Spy Shuriken Ninjas, I broke the right wall and stormed in, killing the MoA unit in there, and then block the pathway with Xander so the Ninja above the room couldn't kill anyone. Once that Ninja is dealt with, I didn't really have any problems with the right side, apart from Kagero. Damn, she's scary.

I did that and beat the boss within 24 turns. It's really slow, but it's the safest way I could do it.

Sölf

Alright, beat Conquest chapter 16. Wasn't that hard, after I figured out how to survive the first round with my units. Got 7300 gold at the end. Could have gotten a bit more, but I tried to level as many characters to 20 as possible. Only managed to bring Selena and Silas to 20, Benny, Effie and Nyx were all 18/19, Niles and Mozu were 18/17.

I decided to let Shura live, even though I won't use him in this run.

After that, I decided to do Corrin's paralogue in order to level my other units to 20 or as close as possible. I also decided to use Xander if possible or necessary and therefore choose Charlotte as his wife. She was only level 10, but since Corrin's paralogue is rather easy, I managed to level her quite a bit. I acutally didn't even know this chapter had reinforcements, as I ended the chapter in Birthright before any showed up. xD
In the end of the chapter, Benny, Niles, Nyx, Effie and Mozu promoted and Charlotte leveld from 10 to 17. Considering the enemies are only ~18 or low level pre promotes, she now would be actually viable.

My promotions so far are these:

Arthur = Berserker
Benny = Great Knight
Effie = GeneralNiles = Bow Knight
Mozu = ...Merchant? I am playing the german version, so no idea if that's the right translation (considering "Great Knight" is called "Erzritter", which would translate to something like "Arch Knight")
Nyx = Sorcerer
Selena = Hero
Silas = Paladin

As for my parings (or the ones that will come later).

Corrin x Camilla
Silas x Elise
Nyx x Leo
Xander x Charlotte
Arthur x Effie
Mozu x Niles
Selena x Benny

, and

I guess this isn't helpful advice, but
I had chosen Ninja as my secondary class, and since the Avatar had hit level 15 a chapter or two before, I was a Mechanist when fighting Ryoma. After about 9 turns or so, I leveled up and learned Replicate. So then I split in two and paired up with myself. I had taken everyone up the left side and cleared it by this time mostly by using Xander to get lunged into the group of enemies. Basically abuse Xander and Effie's high defense. I didn't go up the right side because I could defeat Ryoma at that point.
I did this on Hard/Classic.

dantehemi

Currently playing birthright. I'm on chapter 9 and just realized I haven't been pairing up anyone.. So my question is.. What are the best pairings? I don't see myself playing this over again and I would just move on to conquest once done this, so I'm looking for best possible experience with pairings.. Thank you.

Azuran

Banned
Currently playing birthright. I'm on chapter 9 and just realized I haven't been pairing up anyone.. So my question is.. What are the best pairings? I don't see myself playing this over again and I would just move on to conquest once done this, so I'm looking for best possible experience with pairings.. Thank you.

It's kinda hard to screw up kids in this games just as long as you don't pair up a magic unit with a physical one. Since you can buy skills nowadays, optimal pairing is not as important these days.

Nohr chapter 17
Yo what the hell? It's seemingly possible to get yourself trapped during this chapter since there is a Dragon Vein in the top left corner that closes you in a room with no additional Dragon Veins to reopen it from inside. You can only reopen it from outside, so if you put your entire army in there then there's no way out.

Gambit

Nohr chapter 17
Yo what the hell? It's seemingly possible to get yourself trapped during this chapter since there is a Dragon Vein in the top left corner that closes you in a room with no additional Dragon Veins to reopen it from inside. You can only reopen it from outside, so if you put your entire army in there then there's no way out.

the answer, I guess, is to see that beforehand and plan strategically NOT to put your entire army in there.

;-)

Very helpful, I know. Sorry.

But that was a cool chapter. All in all I am greatly enjoying some of the gimmicks in the Nohr levels.

the answer, I guess, is to see that beforehand and plan strategically NOT to put your entire army in there.

;-)

Very helpful, I know. Sorry.

But that was a cool chapter. All in all I am greatly enjoying some of the gimmicks in the Nohr levels.
My army was getting surrounded and weakened so I needed time to recuperate. It actually worked out really well since I was able to pick off the attackers one by one from behind the walls using Hand Axes, all the while safely healing my injured units. The only problem was once I was done and wanted to get back out...

Does the DLC play out differently for each game?
Currently playing Birthright and was saving DLC for Conquest but I guess it's worth playing through it twice with both sets of characters...?

Fawk Nin

Is there anything worse than meticulously going through a level, getting good experience for weaker characters and building good relationships, only to lose someone at the last moment. This game is so good, but can be so heartbreaking.

McNum

Is there anything worse than meticulously going through a level, getting good experience for weaker characters and building good relationships, only to lose someone at the last moment. This game is so good, but can be so heartbreaking.
The real Fire Emblem starts here.

Seriously, though, this is part of the series charm. It makes you feel like you really earned that victory, at least when done right. Seeing a character drop to dangerously low HP is supposed to be a gasp out loud moment. You care for your characters, see them grow, see them becomes friends with each other, but if you play Classic, all of that is constantly at risk a mere unlucky critical away. Just like that, gone.

It's risk vs. reward, and Fire Emblem can be a real bastard when it comes to risking your characters.

TheJoRu

I just wished that we can save during battle, not restricted to casual mode. The RNG can ba a bitch sometimes.

Nah, that would take away from it. The point is that every move is supposed to be a risk, but if you're allowed to save all the time you wouldn't be risking much, would you? I know I'd instinctively save before any move that would be even remotely dangerous, just because I know I can. Not allowing me to is what creates the risk vs. reward situation, because it means I'll actually lose something by, well, losing.

You know what's amusing? When you make a mistake that costs you a character and instead of resetting you see what would happen after that character's death.

Had a situation on ch. 25 on Revelation in which I lost a character, decided not to reset and watched the rest play out, once the enemy turn was done I lost 6 characters. I don't think I've ever made such a bad decision before.

I of course reset after this.

After several restarts I've ended up choosing Hard-Casual, which after the beginning of the game has started to feel pretty good.. If tad too easy, compared to awakening, But I'm very happy with my choice even though Hard-Classic wouldn't probably be to much trouble. But for my current life situation, the feeling of progression in the game is nice for the play time I have available. I'm thinking it more like a good book than a challenge.

The game, even if less polished story-wise and some mechanics feel really just glued on the top, nonetheless feels very much like a Fire Emblem game, which I have been missing very much and am now consuming like a thirsty person would drink up water.

First impressions: solid 8/10 and a good chance to turn out to be 9/10.

You know what's amusing? When you make a mistake that costs you a character and instead of resetting you see what would happen after that character's death.

Had a situation on ch. 25 on Revelation in which I lost a character, decided not to reset and watched the rest play out, once the enemy turn was done I lost 6 characters. I don't think I've ever made such a bad decision before.

I of course reset after this.

On harder chapters or difficulties, you can easily get a domino effect. Especially if your tank was previously holding a choke point or something.

I don't have the heart to continue after the second death XD

Gambit

Because a strategy where you can freely use a unit as suicidal bait with no repercussions and one where you must keep everyone alive are pretty different.

Indeed.

When someone dies on you on classic it means your strategy was flawed so you restart and try again.

On casual you can do as you said above and play the whole game without any strategy at all.

Because a strategy where you can freely use a unit as suicidal bait with no repercussions and one where you must keep everyone alive are pretty different.

Indeed.

When someone dies on you on classic it means your strategy was flawed so you restart and try again.

On casual you can do as you said above and play the whole game without any strategy at all.
Which is why I specifically said "if you're going to reset on any character death anyway"... As in, play on casual for the battle saves but still restart if anyone dies.

EDIT: Well I guess that can still be abused if you save very often; I was thinking along the lines of saving once in the middle of long chapters.

Semajer

If I give my Birthright Marth amiibo a set of boots, and a level up, for example, and then use the amiibo to summon him in Conquest will he still have the boots and level up, or will it be a fresh Marth?

Or will I need to buy him from the logbook to get that Marth back?

So, I just got to the point where you choose your path and now have to download it. Problem is, I get an error message everytime the game tries to log me in (022-5531) which is wierd as hell because I have no problem at all accessing the eShop via the homescreen.

Has this happend to anyone else? There is no option to download the path directly in the eShop, right? (Edit: And yes, I have the latest system update installed)

Shinypogs

My army was getting surrounded and weakened so I needed time to recuperate. It actually worked out really well since I was able to pick off the attackers one by one from behind the walls using Hand Axes, all the while safely healing my injured units. The only problem was once I was done and wanted to get back out...
Use lunge, I mean its even already on a unit who can use dragon veins.

ohlawd

fuck man, so many of my kids in Birthright are garbo. did I fuck up by recruiting them too early? I'm on chapter 16 and I got everyone's kid except FeMU's kid. they also got low stats because I don't use males. I think my Mitama is lvl 17 with 12 magic. The only good units I really have are Sophie as a Great Knight (she's lvl 20/4 with high str, def, decent enough speed to still double, good res) with Caeldori and Hinoka trailing behind a little

Azuran

Banned
fuck man, so many of my kids in Birthright are garbo. did I fuck up by recruiting them too early? I'm on chapter 16 and I got everyone's kid except FeMU's kid. they also got low stats because I don't use males. I think my Mitama is lvl 17 with 12 magic. The only good units I really have are Sophie as a Great Knight (she's lvl 20/4 with high str, def, decent enough speed to still double, good res) with Caeldori and Hinoka trailing behind a little

It depends on the pairings you did. Their stats shouldn't make that much of a difference if you recruit them really early unless they got RNG screwed already. The current levels of the parents don't matter since they only pass down growth rates and specific stat caps that are always set. Also, in case you didn't know, they join with an offspring seal after Chapter 18, which means you can promote them from the moment you get them if you recruit them at that time.

And Mitama is meant to be a physical unit similar to her dad. Her STR growth and cap is actually a lot higher than her magic.

Top Bottom