• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Shepard

Finished Birthright after ~50hours and Fire Emblem is the franchise that keeps on giving. Feels like they refined every new mechanic introduced in Awakening into a much more enjoyable experience. Playing it on classic hard was as difficult as the gba games, even though the last 4 or 5 chapters were quite a spike. Now time to play Conquest!

Semajer

I finished Birthright today. Thought it was alright, better than the non-DLC Awakening at least. The map objectives got dull fast, and I didn't care much for the story or last few chapters, nor the ending that they copy-pasted from Awakening. I'm still pissed about that A-rank I missed, and how it was never mentioned in the ending.

I'm already enjoying Conquest a lot more and I'm only a few chapters in.

L95

Lots of FE games do this. Tellius does, at least. Awakening too, I bet.

Yeah, Awakening does it with all the mothers.

I admit, I do miss the alternate scenes you could get, like Shadow Dragon's somewhat different ending if Caeda/Sheeda is dead in FE11, and slightly different chapter endings in FE8 for if Natasha dies in her recruitment chapter and when Saleh dies in his recruitment chapter. I don't recall Fates or Awakening having any alternate scenes at all? I could be misremembering.

Keep your male and female characters paired up (combined) at all times?

It generally takes around 1-2 maps to build a support level if you make everyone fight a bunch of enemies.

Ohh, I have't been pairing people up unless it was necessary for survival on certain maps. I was just keeping everyone solo and standing next to one another.

Also I'm barely surviving some maps so I aim to complete the objective quickly and not worry about killing as much as possible.

Obviously I'm bad at this game.

Ohh, I have't been pairing people up unless it was necessary for survival on certain maps. I was just keeping everyone solo and standing next to one another.

Also I'm barely surviving some maps so I aim to complete the objective quickly and not worry about killing as much as possible.

Obviously I'm bad at this game.

Nah, that sounds normal.

If you're playing Birthright or Revelation, you can do easy-ish Challenges to raise support levels. Or if you're in Conquest, try visiting castles with low power ratings.

I think Chapter 22 is starting to become late to make babies, but if you do make any, you can use their Offspring Seal (after recruiting them) to quickly get them up to speed.

Shinypogs

Excellent ^-^, outside of money ( which is admittedly an important resource in conquest,) there's no downside to doing a late game reclass here and there for the best possible skill combos. Yes I know I could just buy skills from other castles but I'd rather do it the old fashioned way, plus then I temporarily get Ophelia wrecking face with the levin sword.

Sölf

Alright, did Conquest chapter 14, 15 and Silas' paralogue today. All of them were actually pretty easy for Conquest maps. Silas' paralogue, with him being a shared character, felt like taking a vacation. It was so relaxing to play that one. xD

Chapter 14 got scary once when Selena had to dodge, but that aside it was on the easier side. 15 was interesting, but also not very hard. Managed to bring Corrin to 20 right before the boss and Azura reached 10 during the chapter, so her dance boosted him even more and he was able to double and 2HKO the boss with a pair up partner. I am also at that point, where most of my team is level 18/19 (I think I have 2 level 19 and 2 level 18 characters now, with Niles and Mozu being 16/15, lagging a bit behind). I already bought, I think, 3 more Master Seals, because I just need them now. xD
Will probably end up like Birthright, where I bought all those seals and 1-2 chapters later I got so many from enemy drops that I was basically swimming in them.

Javier

Yeah, Awakening does it with all the mothers.

I admit, I do miss the alternate scenes you could get, like Shadow Dragon's somewhat different ending if Caeda/Sheeda is dead in FE11, and slightly different chapter endings in FE8 for if Natasha dies in her recruitment chapter and when Saleh dies in his recruitment chapter. I don't recall Fates or Awakening having any alternate scenes at all? I could be misremembering.
Not sure on Fates, but pretty much every Paralogue in FE13 ends with different dialogue if the kid died during it.

I found something irking me in the game compared to Awakening...spoilers
A scenario with kids of the protagonists coming from the future, I can accept. Hell I though it was well done and some scenes were great.

But here, kids just magically grew up quickly because VIDEO GAMES and PLOT. I don't feel as much importance from the children of the heroes in this game compared to Awakening...

A scenario with kids of the protagonists coming from the future, I can accept. Hell I though it was well done and some scenes were great.

But here, kids just magically grew up quickly because VIDEO GAMES and PLOT. I don't feel as much importance from the children of the heroes in this game compared to Awakening...

The kids are more of a side thing really

It doesn't bother me but I can see why it does to some people. I see it as just an extra dish to the main meal :p
The more the merrier!

NeonZ

Fates has no dialogue changes even if you don't get the kids at the end of their parlaogue, which can be rather confusing in some cases.

Yeah, they're pretty much extra units that are tied to the main cast, not really part of the main story. They only exist to keep the child mechanic around in the first place, and aren't ever mentioned in the main story scenes, aside from a single one in the final chapter.

There's a DLC 6 map pack that's a sequel to Conquest and Birthright with a storyline focused on them, but it's still being released here and was only out months after the base game in Japan.

Shinypogs

Hope you have some arms scrolls.
I haven't begun that run yet but yeah I will have the needed arms scrolls available. That is something that could make peoples lives more difficult if they run out of the available scrolls in the shop and the few scroll drops you get and have to try and gain levels with a character using e rank weapons in the late game. If I was going into this blind it'd be more problematic but I'm aware of what resources I have available to me and can plan around that accordingly.

I do like that arms scrolls are super limited though which means you need to be really sure you want to use them rather than fight through e rank, especially with some e rank weapons and joke weapons being rather decent if you have a high enough str/mag to do damage with them anyways. Beruka will become a dread fighter in that run after chapter 10 and I will probably just let her wield a bronze knife or a pebble for hidden weapon xp since her starting strength is already good and she'll keep her axe rank which is all she needs to be competent in the early game.

I'm going to be doing simultaneous lunatic conquest and lunatic birthright runs once I unlock the nosferatu tome in the my castle rewards since I want to run a witch avatar in birthright and that's the only way to get that tome into that route. I'm only doing light planning for Birthright though because even on lunatic it's just not going to be as demanding. Worth playing through for fun and to try new pairing and class combos but not super challenging.

It says something that I have 5 finished runs of fates spread over the 3 routes and 3 more runs planned while awakening sits unfinished because while I adore several of the characters I just can't bring myself to carry on when I could be playing fates whose combat I enjoy so much more. I will eventually finish the game but likely not till I burn out on fates or until I fill all my save slots and can't decide which runs to erase so I can do more.

~
RE: kids
I find it annoying that you only get Nina if a female marries niles but ( rev spoilers)
you fucking adopt two orphans with him as a male avatar in their revelations epilogue. Why couldn't we have adopted Nina in the main games and just say she learned her skills from her folks before they died/ from Niles and the avatar when they visited her in in the deep realm. Sure she wouldn't be able to use dragon veins but she'd also not be weak to wyrmslayers.

TheJoRu

Just did Birthright chapter 17 and 18.

¯_(ツ)_/¯ Well, that was easy. Especially chapter 18. Weak as hell Faceless reinforcements and small map. Leo was decently powerful, but still easy to bring down. Especially since he didn't even charge at you despite having ridiculous range. Maybe that would've changed after killing the other Nohrians on the side, but I got all of them in one turn anyway. Here's hoping for some challenge in the end game.

NeonZ

~
RE: kids
I find it annoying that you only get Nina if a female marries niles but ( rev spoilers)
you fucking adopt two orphans with him as a male avatar in their revelations epilogue. Why couldn't we have adopted Nina in the main games and just say she learned her skills from her folks before they died/ from Niles and the avatar when they visited her in in the deep realm. Sure she wouldn't be able to use dragon veins but she'd also not be weak to wyrmslayers.

They'd need to create new dialogue and story scenes for something like that, but Fates has basically no variant scenes.

NeonZ

Why? Just handwave it like with everything else, you can even have Kana pop up.

The "handwave" would involve new scenes or new dialogue though, while they couldn't be bothered to even make any of the endings acknowledge any relationships in spite of how odd some of the dialogue ends up sounding like.

Apparently, Fates didn't have a bigger staff than Awakening, in spite of the multiple campaigns developed, so it's very likely that was the kind of stuff they had to ignore in order to finish everything on time (alongside not bothering to balance Revelation at all, I guess).

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/what-fire-emblem-needs-to-continue-its-mini-renaissance

For Conquest and Birthright, Intelligent Systems had one team working on the core of both games, but separate teams focusing on the level design. But despite the added workload, it was more or less business as usual at Intelligent Systems, says Higuchi. "I'd like to say that the main staff involved in this project has been more or less similar to those who worked on previous games."

Draxal

Intelligent Systems loves to make fun of the fanbase.

Having the fujoshi character locked behind a straight marriage, makes it so that the fujoshi fanbase can't have their in game character representative unless they make the gay guy straight. They do the same with ships like Ryoma/Scarlet and Flora/Jakob on purpose.

PBalfredo

Speaking of being tortured by IS, I just got to Conquest chaper 13 and my heart aches knowing what comes next if I press on.

Scarlet :( I'm dreading that there will be a "all timelines are canon" reveal later that will make this even worse, considering I'm coming off of Birthright, making this an Undertale Pacifist -> Genocide ending level of betrayal

McNum

Hm, I worry about the next chapter from name alone. Good work, game.

(Hoshido 26 spoiler)
Chapter 26: Xander

This isn't going to be pretty, is it? At least I have a Ryoma.

NeonZ

Speaking of being tortured by IS, I just got to Conquest chaper 13 and my heart aches knowing what comes next if I press on.

Scarlet :( I'm dreading that there will be a "all timelines are canon" reveal later that will make this even worse, considering I'm coming off of Birthright, making this an Undertale Pacifist -> Genocide ending level of betrayal

It's kind of odd that the game allows the player to capture units in that chapter, since it obviously doesn't line up with the story, but there are other chapters where capture is blocked based on the story (like how you can't capture any of the mercenaries from Percy's paralogue). Obviously you can't capture any of the unique characters from that chapter though.

PBalfredo

It's kind of odd that the game allows the player to capture units in that chapter, since it obviously doesn't line up with the story, but there are other chapters where capture is blocked based on the story (like how you can't capture any of the mercenaries from Percy's paralogue). Obviously you can't capture any of the unique characters though.

If only...

One thing that's really been weirding me out about Conquest is Corrin's forces and their amazing ability to pull their punches thus far. It's such a strange divergence from how much harsher the "0 HP = death" rule has been enforced in previous games (there's been exceptions, obviously, but none to this scale). If it were this easy to spare your enemies in previous games and it apparently is for Corrin, certain characters would have a lot less drama to deal with.

Now I wish Gerome's mask was available in the accessory shop, so I can properly outfit my apparent army of Batmans who can non-lethally crush entire armies of dudes.

And Peri is one of those Batmans, somehow???

The "handwave" would involve new scenes or new dialogue though, while they couldn't be bothered to even make any of the endings acknowledge any relationships in spite of how odd some of the dialogue ends up sounding like.

Apparently, Fates didn't have a bigger staff than Awakening, in spite of the multiple campaigns developed, so it's very likely that was the kind of stuff they had to ignore in order to finish everything on time (alongside not bothering to balance Revelation at all, I guess).

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/what-fire-emblem-needs-to-continue-its-mini-renaissance
No you do not need to make a new scene. Just act like nothing special happened, like it was any other pairing.

L95

If only...

One thing that's really been weirding me out about Conquest is Corrin's forces and their amazing ability to pull their punches thus far. It's such a strange divergence from how much harsher the "0 HP = death" rule has been enforced in previous games (there's been exceptions, obviously, but none to this scale). If it were this easy to spare your enemies in previous games and it apparently is for Corrin, certain characters would have a lot less drama to deal with.

Now I wish Gerome's mask was available in the accessory shop, so I can properly outfit my apparent army of Batmans who can non-lethally crush entire armies of dudes.

And Peri is one of those Batmans, somehow???

If only we could capture Selena in FE8 <.<

That's why Conquest is harder, of course. Corrin's army is trying to hold back and fight nonlethally the whole time while in Birthright they're just 'NOHRIAN SCUM!' and go stabstabstab.

McNum

And that... is Birthright cleared! Success!

If I were to pick a theme for this playthrough it's stupid, undeserved luck. Surviving more than one 80+% instant kill shot, miraculous skill activations that really turned the tide, and just allround playing sloppy and getting rewarded for it anyway.

The final boss exemplifies this so much.
My avatar attacked it, got a Dragon Fang off, but took a bad hit in return. He could kill the boss if he could survive another round, but his HP was just too low. I tried healing him with Kana, since she was the only one in reach, and that brought him up to "Will still die, so why bother?" Well, since I had battle saved earlier, I gave it a shot.

"FOR HOSHIDO!" *Sol*

And that settled that. Survived a second hit from the boss with 2 HP left. Really shouldn't have. Three levels of Hero back in chapter 17-ish saved the day.

But... it's time to get good. Time to sing with Azura a song of conquest and fate. Time to fight everyone I just called allies. It's Nohr time.

So, I know I need to tweak my avatar before I do so. Resistance is NOT a dump stat in Fates, and I was stupid for treating it as one. I really liked having Sol avaiable, as the spoilered story shows, but for a Nohr playthrough, what's a good secondary class for the Avatar? I'm thinking, maybe +Speed/-Luck with a Samurai talent? Or should I keep Hero available? Sol is good stuff.

Xenoflare

And that... is Birthright cleared! Success!

If I were to pick a theme for this playthrough it's stupid, undeserved luck. Surviving more than one 80+% instant kill shot, miraculous skill activations that really turned the tide, and just allround playing sloppy and getting rewarded for it anyway.

The final boss exemplifies this so much.
My avatar attacked it, got a Dragon Fang off, but took a bad hit in return. He could kill the boss if he could survive another round, but his HP was just too low. I tried healing him with Kana, since she was the only one in reach, and that brought him up to "Will still die, so why bother?" Well, since I had battle saved earlier, I gave it a shot.

"FOR HOSHIDO!" *Sol*

And that settled that. Survived a second hit from the boss with 2 HP left. Really shouldn't have. Three levels of Hero back in chapter 17-ish saved the day.

But... it's time to get good. Time to sing with Azura a song of conquest and fate. Time to fight everyone I just called allies. It's Nohr time.

So, I know I need to tweak my avatar before I do so. Resistance is NOT a dump stat in Fates, and I was stupid for treating it as one. I really liked having Sol avaiable, as the spoilered story shows, but for a Nohr playthrough, what's a good secondary class for the Avatar? I'm thinking, maybe +Speed/-Luck with a Samurai talent? Or should I keep Hero available? Sol is good stuff.

I did exactly a +spd/-luk samurai build and she was great.

Luck is just always gonna be the bane stat for me since Goddess Icons offers +4 instead of 2.

You can always just buy skills. Just make sure don't abuse it too much. I usually buy skills that is possible for characters to obtain using heart seals. Like I bought Silas and Xander Luna since both have access to the great knight class.

McNum

I did exactly a +spd/-luk samurai build and she was great.

Luck is just always gonna be the bane stat for me since Goddess Icons offers +4 instead of 2.

You can always just buy skills. Just make sure don't abuse it too much. I usually buy skills that is possible for characters to obtain using heart seals. Like I bought Silas and Xander Luna since both have access to the great knight class.
You can buy skills? Okay, I totally missed that. Where and how?

Do you have to be the right level, or can I just immediately go spend the 10,000 from the map pack on something like Astra or Sol or similar?

Draxal

You can buy skills? Okay, I totally missed that. Where and how?

Do you have to be the right level, or can I just immediately go spend the 10,000 from the map pack on something like Astra or Sol or similar?

1. Win a map in pvp at somebody's else castle without a handicap, and then you can inherit the skill.

2. Talk to your butler, and access the log book and you can buy a skill from there if you have any units in the log book. When you complete a game it adds 5 units to your log book.

You can only buy skills from the same character and you can't buy dlc skills.

McNum

1. Win a map in pvp at somebody's else castle without a handicap, and then you can inherit the skill.

2. Talk to your butler, and access the log book and you can buy a skill from there if you have any units in the log book. When you complete a game it adds 5 units to your log book.

You can only buy skills from the same character and you can't buy dlc skills.
I saved my avatar. Does that mean that from now on, I can get Sol on any avatar? Oh, I can use the Hoshido-side skills on a Nohr avatar, too. Because nothing says champion of Nohr like the skill Hoshidan Unity.

Draxal

Yes.

People put up skill farms in the japanese and american versions where they have characters with rare skills and set them up so they won't attack anybody (ez skill castles/farm for that reason). By now they should be up in pal land.

Some people put up hacked skills though (only mozu and every kid but shigure can have the villager skills nobody else can have them).

McNum

Huh. well, I'll grab Sol off my avatar again, then. That's a reclass saved. I really should go for Swordfaire this game. Can't hate having +5 damage to Yato, after all.

McNum

pls buying skills is cheesy
unless it's Revelation then do whatever you want
Oh, it totally is.

"Hey Anna? I'd like to play the 'Give me 10,000 gold DLC', please!"
*Learned Sol!*

I mean, how silly would that be? *cough*

As far as I'm concerned, if Conquest wants to try and limit me, then that becomes the metagame. How to break those limits. Skill buying wasn't on my radar, now it is. Getting "Hoshidan Unity" right after siding with Nohr is also tempting, just for laughs.

Shinypogs

But how else am I going to get Conquest!Velouria with Lancebreaker and Shurikenbreaker then?

She can get shuriken breaker from using a buddy seal with nina and lance breaker from marrying a male kana who inherited oni savage into the needed blacksmith class from his mom. I imagine you were just joking but it can be done.

Azuran

Banned
Oh, it totally is.

"Hey Anna? I'd like to play the 'Give me 10,000 gold DLC', please!"
*Learned Sol!*

I mean, how silly would that be? *cough*

As far as I'm concerned, if Conquest wants to try and limit me, then that becomes the metagame. How to break those limits. Skill buying wasn't on my radar, now it is. Getting "Hoshidan Unity" right after siding with Nohr is also tempting, just for laughs.

I'm not against skill buying but it really breaks the game since it was made with PvP in mind. You should probably try to play Conquest at first without it.

She can get shuriken breaker from using a buddy seal with nina and lance breaker from marrying a male kana who inherited oni savage into the needed blacksmith class from his mom. I imagine you were just joking but it can be done.

I was but it did made me realized how complicated it is to actually get a Velouria that can laugh in the face of Beast Killers.

Top Bottom