• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Danj

My Special Edition finally turned up today from Amazon Germany. Is there anything special or important that I really need to know before I start playing?

Sölf

Did Conquest 17 and the second siege today.

Chapter 17:
Easier than I thought after seeing that map. Had to use choke points pretty much the whole time, but managed to get through it without much of a hassle.

The second siege also was easier than I would have thought, even though there were scary status staves. I actually screwed up near the end and Corrin nearly died, but he dodged 2 attacks and some Great Knights then just ignored him. Lucky me. Also, if a second wave of reinforcements would appear, I finished the map before they showed up.

So, next up is either chapter 18 or Bennys paralogue.

Draxal

My Special Edition finally turned up today from Amazon Germany. Is there anything special or important that I really need to know before I start playing?

If playing Birthright there's an avoidable death.

Have an A support with Kaze before chapter 15

There's something similiar for Rev but it's much more of a pita and not worth it.

WarAdept

Australia finally got their release on May the 21 and I've been playing it as much as I can. But man, as someone who went in with no knowledge of the characters, maps, pairings, classes, etc, (went in blind for this game), Chapter 10 Conquest on Lunatic took me 1.5 weeks to finally get down.

Holy shit. I hope this isn't a repeat of Thracia 776. I don't think I'll have the time for it.

ohlawd

And Mitama is meant to be a physical unit similar to her dad. Her STR growth and cap is actually a lot higher than her magic.
oh right that bum Azama leans toward Str. Mitama showed up as a priestess so I'm like "k so she's magic oriented"

oh right that bum Azama leans toward Str. Mitama showed up as a priestess so I'm like "k so she's magic oriented"

It's funny, on my Birthright playthrough my Azama leaned toward everything lol. He ended up better than everyone else in the group, including Corrin and Ryoma.

I have no idea if I just got lucky or his growths are humongous.

Xenoflare

Too bad Azama and Effie are both trash in Revelation.

The chapter where you recruit Elise etal and Silas is just absurd

Silas got to level 18 with stats that is almost impossible for him to obtain for his growth rate with maxed out weapon ranks. Then you have those units are barely changed from their conquest iterations

Then Nyx and Shura joins the next chapter, making this issue even more absurd

OK, I just got hit by three 18% attacks in a row.

Even by Fire Emblem standards that should never have happened. The chance of something like that happening is less than 1/125. That is completely bonkers.

demidar

Even by Fire Emblem standards that should never have happened. The chance of something like that happening is less than 1/125. That is completely bonkers.

lol that don't mean it will never happen, it just means that it will happen very very rarely. Which was just then.

Please, that's not even notable any more with true hit no longer a thing!

I just started playing Conquest today.. only 4 chapters in atm. But i'm wondering, am i the only one who hears Macross Plus.... something... when Azura's song is on? I haven't watched it for a while and looking on Youtube... i don't know what i'm hearing but i'd swear it sounds identical to something from it!

...edit yeah ok, it's from the intro
Fates: https://youtu.be/o83gZHJPmK8?t=2m
Macross: https://youtu.be/NOGJN9uYo5w?t=25s
Man, Fate's lyrics feel very forced into that tune.

Vitanimus

conquest is so difficult wtf

almost every chapter I've had to reset at least 5 times because of losing a unit or a surprise reinforcement

i kinda wanna drop down to casual but my pride will be damaged

Sölf

Beat Conquest chapter 18 and 19 today.

Chapter 18:
Thank god the units only attack when baited and not on their own. Also, only 4 reinforcements? The chapter turned out much easier than I would have thought initially.

Chapter 19:
Harder than the beast chapter in Birthright, but also not that hard. My main problem was that I have so many mounted units, so many enemies could kill one of my characters easily. Had to pair up quite a bit, especially after baiting the boss.

So, next up I will probably recruit another child. I can choose between Leo's and Benny's child, but Xander x Charlotte are also already at A rank. I will probably only recruit one of those and then continue and get the others either if I have big problems with a chapter (so I can get a few more EXP) or after another 2-3 chapters.

PK Gaming

I know a guy who picked up Sword of The Kings in their first fight with the Starman DX in Earthbound so it's not impossible

Still unfortunate, lol

Sölf;205409801 said:
Beat Conquest chapter 18 and 19 today.

Chapter 18:
Thank god the units only attack when baited and not on their own. Also, only 4 reinforcements? The chapter turned out much easier than I would have thought initially.

Chapter 19:
Harder than the beast chapter in Birthright, but also not that hard. My main problem was that I have so many mounted units, so many enemies could kill one of my characters easily. Had to pair up quite a bit, especially after baiting the boss.

So, next up I will probably recruit another child. I can choose between Leo's and Benny's child, but Xander x Charlotte are also already at A rank. I will probably only recruit one of those and then continue and get the others either if I have big problems with a chapter (so I can get a few more EXP) or after another 2-3 chapters.

The earlier you do Ignatius (Benny's Kid Recruitment) the better. Won't spoil the details though.

Mr Rivuz

I miss being able to make a true save whenever you want like in Radiant Dawn so much. At least once per battle.
I hate having to replay the battle from the beginning, making the same exact moves and hoping that this time the boss wont hit you with a ridiculously low % critical. It's just a waste of time.

L95

I miss being able to make a true save whenever you want like in Radiant Dawn so much. At least once per battle.
I hate having to replay the battle from the beginning, making the same exact moves and hoping that this time the boss wont hit you with a ridiculously low % critical. It's just a waste of time.

Casual mode gives you map saves. (I understand not wanting to play casual tho, but I always forget Casual has it)

exfatal

So playing through the Birthrate on chapter 18 and trying to get some marriages in b4 continue, but dunno who to marry to whom. So far i got Mozu and Fox dude together but unfortunately didnt get Mozu growth rate skill though which i was hoping for on the little one. Got Oboro and Silas together, and my main character and Scarlet. Now i've been basing these marriages mostly off the support convo's and how well they end up getting along with each other by the time they get to A, except for the case of Scarlet. Now i was thinking of Ryoma and Azura hooking up, and Rinkah/Hana and Hinata
super sad that I ended up letting Kaze sacrifice himself to save me

Mr Rivuz

Casual mode gives you map saves. (I understand not wanting to play casual tho, but I always forget Casual has it)

Oh, i didn't know that, thanks. Maybe i'll just switch and try to limit myself, using the save just once per battle and keep playing without letting anybody die.
Often i have to restart a mission from zero after playing for maybe 20 minutes or more and after 3, 4 ,5 or more times it's disheartening. And very boring when for the most part of the battle you're doing the same exact moves you did in your previous attempts.

Semajer

That's why I play on Casual. I'm going to reset if someone dies regardless of the difficulty, the saves just keep me from wasting hours of my time.

Mr Rivuz

That's why I play on Casual. I'm going to reset if someone dies regardless of the difficulty, the saves just keep me from wasting hours of my time.
Yeah i think i'll just do that too. Especially with this game that i'll have to play through 3 times.

Sölf

The earlier you do Ignatius (Benny's Kid Recruitment) the better. Won't spoil the details though.

Okay, beat it now. God, what a horrible chapter.
Reminds me of ther one with Nino and Jaffar during hardmode, when Jaffar can actually die before you even get the chance to talk to him.

ohlawd

So playing through the Birthrate on chapter 18 and trying to get some marriages in b4 continue, but dunno who to marry to whom. So far i got Mozu and Fox dude together but unfortunately didnt get Mozu growth rate skill though which i was hoping for on the little one. Got Oboro and Silas together, and my main character and Scarlet. Now i've been basing these marriages mostly off the support convo's and how well they end up getting along with each other by the time they get to A, except for the case of Scarlet. Now i was thinking of Ryoma and Azura hooking up, and Rinkah/Hana and Hinata
super sad that I ended up letting Kaze sacrifice himself to save me

all you have to do is move the skill you want to pass down to the last slot

and sucks about the spoiler :(

Sölf

God, Conquest chapter 20 is so damn annoying. I tried to beat this for the last 2 hours and actually managed to kill all except 2 enemies - then Leo died. >_>
I couldn't have done much, my units missed to much. I may would have been able to use a rescue staff on him insteal of healing Corrin, but I am pretty sure then Corrin would have died. I also have yet to understand how exactly the reinforcements work on this map. On my last try reinforcements turned up a turn earlier then the one before (on the east side near the chest) and because of that I died, because I simply had not enough units to deal with the enemies and the reinforcements.

God. Horrible chapter.

I'm still kinda surprised that happened.

Next, bring back healing stave misses, and the lowest hit possible being 1% and the highest possible 99%
Make crits minimum 1% for maximum RNG hell.
Sölf;205458457 said:
God, Conquest chapter 20 is so damn annoying. I tried to beat this for the last 2 hours and actually managed to kill all except 2 enemies - then Leo died. >_>
I couldn't have done much, my units missed to much. I may would have been able to use a rescue staff on him insteal of healing Corrin, but I am pretty sure then Corrin would have died. I also have yet to understand how exactly the reinforcements work on this map. On my last try reinforcements turned up a turn earlier then the one before (on the east side near the chest) and because of that I died, because I simply had not enough units to deal with the enemies and the reinforcements.

God. Horrible chapter.
Mr. Fuga's Wild Ride is fun, use the wind to your advantage!

Tyrus

Banned
I just finished Chapter 10 of Birthright, and it's probably the first mission where I've felt the story and dialogue was consistently great in Fates, coming straight off Awakening.

I was pleasantly surprised when I had
Saizo take on Kotaru, the area boss, and they had unique dialogue where Kotaru reveals his past history with Saizo's father. There's even a bad-ass line from Saizo at the end of the fight once Kotaru is killed.

It was by complete chance and I didn't know it would happen beforehand, so I'm glad little efforts like this has still been carried over from Awakening.

Out of the cast, I'm really liking Saizo (obviously), Silas (his C-support with Hana is great), Rinkah and Kaze. Corrin's supports really are grating on me though (Male Corrin with Kaze's C and B support is utterly cringe).

I was pleasantly surprised when I had
Saizo take on Kotaru, the area boss, and they had unique dialogue where Kotaru reveals his past history with Saizo's father. There's even a bad-ass line from Saizo at the end of the fight once Kotaru is killed.
How was that? Did I land a single blow?"

*gurgle gurgle*

So badass.

Gambit

I actually used the Dragon Veins myself every other turn so the wind never had an effect on me. Camille basically flew from one to the next. That's what really helped me

McNum

Hm, did Conquest chapter 8 and I have to wonder...

(Conquest 8)
Is there any point to thawing the lake? Can you drown the enemy or something? That kind of goes against the idea of not killing anyone, I'll admit.

Also, he is Odin Dark. Yes, he is. Is that personal skill serious? If I rename a weapon to 12 letters or more, he gets a crit boost?

Well, I suppose next up is chapter... 1x. Got a full party now, so time to recruit Mozu. Is she worth it in Conquest? I could go to a high end castle and bring back a Heart Seal to have another archer. But Niles seems to have that covered, too. In any case, her chapter is full of delicious off-story EXP, and that alone is worth going for.

Xenoflare

Hm, did Conquest chapter 8 and I have to wonder...

(Conquest 8)
Is there any point to thawing the lake? Can you drown the enemy or something? That kind of goes against the idea of not killing anyone, I'll admit.

Also, he is Odin Dark. Yes, he is. Is that personal skill serious? If I rename a weapon to 12 letters or more, he gets a crit boost?

Well, I suppose next up is chapter... 1x. Got a full party now, so time to recruit Mozu. Is she worth it in Conquest? I could go to a high end castle and bring back a Heart Seal to have another archer. But Niles seems to have that covered, too. In any case, her chapter is full of delicious off-story EXP, and that alone is worth going for.

It
prevents any units to move, it will recover after 1 turn

In Odin's case, you can get that 12 character count by forging, if you are a boring chap like me you can just spam space afterwards since space counts as a character.

Reclass him to a dark flier asap if you have the Ebon Wing

McNum

It
prevents any units to move, it will recover after 1 turn

In Odin's case, you can get that 12 character count by forging, if you are a boring chap like me you can just spam space afterwards since space counts as a character.

Reclass him to a dark flier asap if you have the Ebon Wing
I don't. Revelations isn't out yet and I couldn't get a Special Edition. All I got are Dread Scrolls. But I don't really see anyone to throw one of those at yet. I mean, Rinkah might want one, but she's not on my team this time. I bet NPC Rinkah won't have utterly terrible Strength growths.

I imagine Elise promotes into the classic Tome/Staff kind of deal? Because that would be pretty handy. I worry that other than Felicia, I may be low on staff users in Conquest. Birthright just gave staff proficiency out to classes who had no real use for them.

Xenoflare

I don't. Revelations isn't out yet and I couldn't get a Special Edition. All I got are Dread Scrolls. But I don't really see anyone to throw one of those at yet. I mean, Rinkah might want one, but she's not on my team this time. I bet NPC Rinkah won't have utterly terrible Strength growths.

I imagine Elise promotes into the classic Tome/Staff kind of deal? Because that would be pretty handy. I worry that other than Felicia, I may be low on staff users in Conquest. Birthright just gave staff proficiency out to classes who had no real use for them.

Elise is one of the few units who would benefit from early promotion, but I never early promote my units.

While it sucks to be stuck with E tomes but with a forged Fire Tome she can be pretty deadly

The fire tome also aids her low skill, for some reason when she promotes she loses 1 skill

Though her low HP and defense might mean that you'll always going to use her as a staff bot

I rushed that chapter, my flyers stucked together, avoiding enemies, moving and waiting till they are within range and killed the boss within a turn. If the boss survive the attack, I am screwed lol.

McNum

Elise is one of the few units who would benefit from early promotion, but I never early promote my units.

While it sucks to be stuck with E tomes but with a forged Fire Tome she can be pretty deadly

The fire tome also aids her low skill, for some reason when she promotes she loses 1 skill

Though her low HP and defense might mean that you'll always going to use her as a staff bot
I can always throw an Arms Scroll at her if I need to.

I am considering pairing her up with my avatar, to be honest. Fun fact, if you start a game with -Res, but change to -Luck at the Branch of Fate, it does NOT change your base stats on the avatar. He's running with a wonderful Res of... 2 at level 10. He needs someone to take a magical hit for him, badly. Felicia can also do that, of course, but she's too awesome to be a rear unit like that. I need to find out what the Nohr side equivalent of a Flame Shuriken is and how to get one. I want my 20 x2 damage back on her.

Felicia will hopefully end up as Mage Killer/Debuffer/Staff User like in Birthright, leaving the role of Primary Healer/Staff Debuffer open to Elise. I want her to be rocking a Physic Staff at some point. Plus, a horse and Rescue Staff seems like a good plan. For magical offense, I remember fighting Camilla in Birthright... Yeah, if she's half that good when playable, I don't worry at all.

Xenoflare

I can always throw an Arms Scroll at her if I need to.

I am considering pairing her up with my avatar, to be honest. Fun fact, if you start a game with -Res, but change to -Luck at the Branch of Fate, it does NOT change your base stats on the avatar. He's running with a wonderful Res of... 2 at level 10. He needs someone to take a magical hit for him, badly. Felicia can also do that, of course, but she's too awesome to be a rear unit like that. I need to find out what the Nohr side equivalent of a Flame Shuriken is and how to get one. I want my 20 x2 damage back on her.

Felicia will hopefully end up as Mage Killer/Debuffer/Staff User like in Birthright, leaving the role of Primary Healer/Staff Debuffer open to Elise. I want her to be rocking a Physic Staff at some point. Plus, a horse and Rescue Staff seems like a good plan. For magical offense, I remember fighting Camilla in Birthright... Yeah, if she's half that good when playable, I don't worry at all.

Yes, if you change your Boon/Bane at branch of fate it won't affect the the stats you previously gained, people usually do a +spd bane at chapter 1-6 and +str or +mag at branch of fate

The Avatar has lowish res to begin with, and Yato's -1 res for being a Katana does not help at all. If you are on conquest you can dump Talismans and the Nohr Noble offers quite a bit of Res. Grim Yato also fixes the -1 Res for Kanatas

McNum

Yes, if you change your Boon/Bane at branch of fate it won't affect the the stats you previously gained, people usually do a +spd bane at chapter 1-6 and +str or +mag at branch of fate

The Avatar has lowish res to begin with, and Yato's -1 res for being a Katana does not help at all. If you are on conquest you can dump Talismans and the Nohr Noble offers quite a bit of Res. Grim Yato also fixes the -1 Res for Kanatas
Oh, right. The Yato will become a different weapon on this path. Honestly, I felt a little cheated on the Hoshido path with that.

Hoshido Endgame
I don't get to take Blazing Yato back to the castle? I wish the game had dumped me back in the castle after the end credits with my new sword and my level ups, with the next mission being chapter 27 all over again.

I'm assuming it's going to be like that for all three paths.

Dee Dee

I managed to recruit Mitama, after the most grueling string of horrible misplays.
I feel unprepared for the real chapter 20.
Thank god you don't even need to get to the house before it is destroyed to recruit her, this paralogue would have broken me...

I cleared Kana's paralogue on second try in comparison. Kana and Shigure (and by map objective Midori) were so easy to recruit, and then Shiro and Mitama were just hell (also Kigari, but I screwed him up with bad skills...).
Shiro was totally worth it though.

I finished Midori's paralogue in 2 turns because I could. Sorry Dwyer and Rhajat, I don't think I can force myself to do more support grinding after these last days...

Let's hope I manage to get to Conquest and Revelations still this year.

Oh, right. The Yato will become a different weapon on this path. Honestly, I felt a little cheated on the Hoshido path with that.

Hoshido Endgame
I don't get to take Blazing Yato back to the castle? I wish the game had dumped me back in the castle after the end credits with my new sword and my level ups, with the next mission being chapter 27 all over again.

I believe that it is the case for Conquest, but Revelations gives you the upgrade before then. At least I remember using the best version of Yato in a DLC map. It feels so satisfying to use.

Xenoflare

Hoshido Endgame

No, that's not the case

Exit the preparation screen on Chapter 27 for all three paths to retain the final forms of Yato

Ok, I'm balls deep in the Hoshido campaign and I've been wondering if they've changed max levels for all promoted classes? As far as I can tell, special classes (like Songstress) seem to have a higher cap and at least my Jakob (Butler) can earn more Exp after 20.

Ok, I'm balls deep in the Hoshido campaign and I've been wondering if they've changed max levels for all promoted classes? As far as I can tell, special classes (like Songstress) seem to have a higher cap and at least my Jakob (Butler) can earn more Exp after 20.

I think butler and maid Jacob/Felecia count as special classes regarding max level in fates.

Draxal

I think butler and maid count as special classes regarding max level in fates.

They don't. Jakob and Felicia are special characters with 4 eternal seals built in. Eternal Seals raise the level caps of their characters by 5. They also have a very low internal level.

Songstress and the DLC/Amiibo classes are all special classes with a level cap of 40.

McNum

No, that's not the case

Exit the preparation screen on Chapter 27 for all three paths to retain the final forms of Yato
Oh! I didn't even think about trying to exit from there. Yup, it worked perfectly. Blazing Yato is back in the castle!

Sölf

Finally got off that wild ride. Also beat chapter 21, which was rather easy in comparison.
Only annoying things were the stone golems, but luckily no more spawned and there were only a few them. Unlike the Birthright volcano chapter... >_>

Next up is chapter 22. After that I will probably recruit one of the last two children I will get in this playhtrought (without grinding other parents in DLC maps, which I will only do in the postgame if at all). Either Leo's or Xander's paralogue.

Top Bottom