• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

CSX

Did NoA mess around with the growths for the English release of Fates or I got the worst luck?

Holy shit 3 straight chapters of bad level ups (so many 1 or 2 points only...)

PK Gaming

Did NoA mess around with the growths for the English release of Fates or I got the worst luck?

Holy shit 3 straight chapters of bad level ups (so many 1 or 2 points only...)

Growth's in general took a massive hit in Fates. Especially HP.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Wish Awakening would have dropped in price with this release. I posted in another Fates topic, was directed to a demo, liked what I played.

Never really dove into a fe other than one on the wii which I didn't much care for, but did dig the Awakening demo. Being that they're the same price, Awakening or Fates?
If you have the time, I'd play Awakening first. Awakening is a fine game in its own right, but from what I've played of Fates, it blows Awakening out of the water. You won't want to go back if you start with Fates.

Dresden

wow lookin up boons and banes is making me reroll again, probably shouldn't have gone with lucky and clumsy. How are mages in this (Birthright)? I remember dork mages being effectively immortal in Awakening.

Shun

Chapter 10 Conquest doesn't fuck around, lol.

Can't imagine trying that on Lunatic without some super specific strats.
Just to make sure, you didn't put 'Strong' as your bane or w/e?

There are actually a few strategies to tackle it on Lunatic. But the most common thing is that you need to centralize where the enemies come from and abuse Azura + Magic/Bow Turret.

There are chapters as hard(er) later on.
Azura...has a bad HP growth doesnt she...

Azura is made of freaking paper. Choosing her husband for her child is like one of the most difficult things ever. Which spouse will Azura not make both children ass.

Azura also has 3 different supports per route. so many support to grind.

wow lookin up boons and banes is making me reroll again, probably shouldn't have gone with lucky and clumsy. How are mages in this (Birthright)? I remember dork mages being effectively immortal in Awakening.

Not great. I mean the good Magic users are awesome but they're few in number who are legitimately good.

Shun

Dark Mage is made of toilet paper in Conquest. Other than Leon da bess and AWAKENING HOLY, pure mage is not great.

Tyeforce

They're both hair accessories, you can scan 3 times. You scanned once, you can scan a second time after battling to get another set of accessories. Then a 3rd time to battle and recruit.
Okay, so, I scanned all my Fire Emblem amiibo and chose the first option for the gifts. But after scanning them all a second time...they didn't give me the other gift, instead they all gave me another of the first gift. What's up with that?? I'm I screwed out of the other items now? =/

Rutger

Banned
For a while I thought chapter 5 Lunatic was crazy.
Eventually I tucked everyone into a corner of the map and watched in amazement as Rinka blocked all of the wyrmslayer attacks while Kaze killed all the mages.

It was at that point that I realized that guard stance is pretty cool. I'll be keeping a close eye on the guard gauge from now on.

Tingle

Okay, so, I scanned all my Fire Emblem amiibo and chose the first option for the gifts. But after scanning them all a second time...they didn't give me the other gift, instead they all gave me another of the first gift. What's up with that?? I'm I screwed out of the other items now? =/

Load your save and choose the other option. You can get either gift during either Amiibo scan. And no, you can buy a copy of their second accessory later, but only when that Amiibo person is running the accessory shop. So it might take a little bit, but you aren't permanently screwed, at least.

GSR

Is there any reason to start from the beginning instead of the branch when starting a new path?

Only real reason is if you want to see the differences in dialogue for those chapters based on gender (fairly minimal except for which of Felicia/Jakob joins early), or if you want to go for a higher difficulty (since the branch keeps your chapter 6 difficulty, and you can only shift down.)

I'm on Chapter 8 of Conquest.

This is gonna sound kind of harsh, but I have no idea how an experienced writer wrote this scenario. I've watched two episodes of Kibayashi's "Knight in the Area," which I thought was pretty awful, so I'd mentally prepared myself, but man. Up through Chapter 6 spoilers:
These opening chapters really needed more scenes to flesh out the families -- just some downtime getting to know them and hang out with them. None of the characters are given any time to breathe, and so the dramatic scenes just don't hold any weight. The problem is that the game want to get you out the gate and into the path-exclusive content, but tries to have its cake and eat it too by attempt to get an emotional rise out of the player with unearned drama.

The whole scene with Mikoto's death is a prime example of this, on top of being poorly written. Corrin literally says he doesn't feel a connection with Mikoto, which makes sense, given that they've just met -- then two scenes later he cries "Mother!" and goes into berserk mode. The game introduces this Hoshidan village literally two minutes before blowing it up (I mean when you show me this peaceful village I know it's donezo, but at least show a little restraint!). And after all of these atrocities, going back to Nohr is pretty much unjustifiable. Choosing the family you've spent all your life is appropriately weighty on paper, but the player doesn't have the same history with them that Corrin does, so the "rightness" of the choice is skewed firmly towards Hoshido.
It's just weird that a game script coming from a multimedia writer feels so slapdash, with no flow between scenes. Oddly enough, I don't recall feeling this way about Awakening, much less in its opening chapters.

All of that aside, I'm digging the gameplay so far. Attack stance/guard stance is interesting stuff, and the game just looks really good. The character designs are awesome and look great in motion. We'll see what the rest of this story has in store (and judging by the importer impressions, I'm not gonna like it...)
I agree with this totally. It's especially jarring coming from Trails in the Sky which revels in slow burning your relationships. Not all games need to be at those levels (but a few more wouldn't hurt!) But Fates took the complete opposite end of the scale and it didn't work.

At least the gameplay holds.

I got the 30% off E3 deal on Conquest. Because of that I decided to also buy the DLC, and I'm now playing both routes side by side. I'm liking both, Conquest is more straight forward since you just go from one mission to the next, although the complexity of the missions is higher and tougher. In Birthright you are allowed to take pit-stops, "enjoy the view" before returning to the story, all you do is basically route the enemy and the difficulty isn't as high, specially since you can grind and buy w.e you want. Both sides have great characters so far, and I can't really say I prefer one side over the other. The extra challenge in Conquest is cool, but going out to explore outside of the main missions in Birthright is fun also.

rhandino

Banned
Reached the Branch of Fate! Yay!

So... I decide to start Male/Birthright and after that it will be Female/Conquest and then Female/Revelations.

So far the game is incredible good and I still wrapping my head around the new weapon triangle and the changes made up to the Pair Up mechanics... speaking of I LOVE how now Pair Up is more oriented to defend units while putting units near each other is a little more offensive and that first map where there is a blockaed of enemies that are using those same tactics sogood.gif

EDIT: Oh, the little artbook that come with the Special Edition is incredible good! I just love Kozaki Yusuke work so much and the sketches of Azura are amazing =3

Tyeforce

Load your save and choose the other option. You can get either gift during either Amiibo scan. And no, you can buy a copy of their second accessory later, but only when that Amiibo person is running the accessory shop. So it might take a little bit, but you aren't permanently screwed, at least.
I already saved after the first time I scanned them, and the second time doesn't give you a choice of gift, they just give you one...

So I guess I just have to wait for them to run the shop then? =/

Renewed

Alright so if I have this right, you can visit My Castle by checking the Crystal Ball, going to Visit Castles and clicking on Castle Address. My Address is 00289-64582-37922-02202 for future reference.

You slowly gain DVP (Dragon Vein Points) for visiting other Castles. So far it seems exchanging cards is enough but maybe other things will give you more DVP.

Shun

Can you have multiple A+ ranks per character?

No. How it works is that you can A+ character A, but character B can A+ someone else.

For example Camilla, Luna, and Beruka have A+ supports.

Camilla can A+ Luna but Luna doesn't have to A+ Camilla and can A+ Beruka instead. Beruka could A+ Luna but she can choose to A+ Camilla instead.

A+ supports don't give you a conversation. They exist just to share classes.

Dad

No. How it works is that you can A+ character A, but character B can A+ someone else.

For example Camilla, Luna, and Beruka have A+ supports.

Camilla can A+ Luna but Luna doesn't have to A+ Camilla and can A+ Beruka instead. Beruka could A+ Luna but she can choose to A+ Camilla instead.

A+ supports don't give you a conversation. They exist just to share classes.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the info

Tingle

I already saved after the first time I scanned them, and the second time doesn't give you a choice of gift, they just give you one...

So I guess I just have to wait for them to run the shop then? =/

No, they do give you a dialogue choice. That's what determines your gift, even though they don't spell it out. Just reload your save and choose the other dialogue option.

Tingle

Ooooh, THAT choice! Okay, that makes sense, lol. Thank you!

No problem, I was messing around with the amiibo earlier. I'll warn you, the fight to actually recruit the amiibo is what comes up next, but its mid or late game stuff. Marth sweeped my team in a turn.

foladar

I figured this game would be pretty lengthy, is there anywhere that says approximately how long Conquests is? I'm on chapter like, 18 .. pretty good so far.

Not to excuse bad story telling but hasn't Fire Emblem always had questionable writing? Awakening's story was pretty bad, granted I already knew about the Marth/Lucina twist when I played it. Sacred Stones' story was nothing to really write home about. I've only played two FE games(starting on my third FE now) so it may just be the games I've played. I've only gotten to the second chapter of Fates before I had to leave to work but I plan to delve into it more tonight.

rhandino

Banned
so is this game more or less challenging than awakening

not interested in a game as easy as awakening
Playing the Birthright path right now (the one similar to Awakening) and even in Normal the game is a little harder than Awakening since enemies now use Pair Up and Dual Strike.

God, I can't even imagine how crazy can Conquest or the Harder modes get if the game also gives the enemies crazy combinations of skills T_T

Not to excuse bad story telling but hasn't Fire Emblem always had questionable writing? Awakening's story was pretty bad, granted I already knew about the Marth/Lucina twist when I played it. Sacred Stones' story was nothing to really write home about. I've only played two FE games(starting on my third FE now) so it may just be the games I've played. I've only gotten to the second chapter of Fates before I had to leave to work but I plan to delve into it more tonight.

I would say mostly uninteresting, most of what I find great is the characters for all their flavor and what not, the series has many genuinely great characters. It's quite easy to tear apart any story in the series but I'm not a cynical person so I won't do that. A simple solution to the issue could be word choice, a nice dense sentence is always better than a paragraph. Then again pretty much everything the series has been about is drawn basically from the Volsung Saga and going up against the story that was the main inspiration for Lord of the Rings is basically destined to underwhelm.

That being said, take what you enjoy and criticise what you don't and don't allow both to cloud the other, and you'll be fine.

Lunar15

So, FE stories are really not much to write home about, but after getting to chapter six, it's pretty astounding how weird the writing is in this game. I'm not going to outright say it's bad, it's just all super rushed? Events seem to be happening with no build up at all, dialogue is extremely simple and brief... it's weird. It's even different than Awakening.

To have a story where you have to pick between two sides, why go this route? It's so easy to make two empathetic sides... but they chose not to do that.

TI82

Banned
Only Nigel is gay as far as the men go.

Ah, well I don't know that guy yet

So, FE stories are really not much to write home about, but after getting to chapter six, it's pretty astounding how weird the writing is in this game. I'm not going to outright say it's bad, it's just all super rushed? Events seem to be happening with no build up at all, dialogue is extremely simple and brief... it's weird. It's even different than Awakening.

To have a story where you have to pick between two sides, why go this route? It's so easy to make two empathetic sides... but they chose not to do that.

The scene after
mama dies
was so weird. Like everyone is kind of... upbeat despite
you becoming a dragon, destroying a city, your mother dying, you attacking Azura
. Very odd

Edit: Sorry did quotes instead of spoiler tags, fixed now

Yeah...same here, 6 six chapters before the choice wasn't enough for them
unless, they try and do dramatic plot twists for whatever reason

ryseing

So in the first real battle of Birthright...
is it possible to not kill the named characters?

Nope. They just "retreat".

I liked the Tellius saga's story (Path of Radiance+Radiant Dawn) but yeah, I mostly play these games for the character interactions. Story's just the thing that brings everyone together for said interactions.

Chase17

Made it through Birthright chapter 9. Still getting used to some of the changes to the game, but so far they all seem like improvements.

No weapon durability is amazing.

Top Bottom