• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Man, the difference between normal and hard in conquest is huge. I downgraded on a different save just to see, but it's so boring. Back to hard and living on the edge of my seat.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Quick and simple guide

Boon increases growth for the selected stat while bane lowers them.

I assume some of the stat details aren't correct, speed shouldn't impact move, for example.

I'd imagine Quick+Weak is a good option if they are as simple as that list implies (assuming having Corrin use magic is better than having him use swords for the most part).

Man, the difference between normal and hard in conquest is huge. I downgraded on a different save just to see, but it's so boring. Back to hard and living on the edge of my seat.
I feel like Conquest hard or lunatic would just frustrate me way more than I need to be. I'll play Birthright on Hard since that's the easier of the games apparently

watershed

Banned
I'm digging the game so far. Around chapter 10 or so now. Unfortunately, the story isn't impressing me much so far. The breakneck pace to chapter 6 was a bit much. So many things happening so quickly, I feel like the game didn't take any time to establish relationships and the world before rushing to "the decision." Gonna keep playing of course.

pelicansurf

I feel like Conquest hard or lunatic would just frustrate me way more than I need to be. I'll play Birthright on Hard since that's the easier of the games apparently
That's what's kind of rough though. Hard is legit hard, but normal is literally a joke. You go from taking 10-12 from enemies to 2. I wish there was more of a middle ground between fire emblem vet and complete scrub.

pelicansurf

Strange, is stat growth fixed here? As in, no rng for stat increases after level up?
I feel like I've leveled up, died and lost a mission, then leveled up and gotten completely different stat gains.

Also does normal on conquest actually get challenging at any point? Not sure if I should keep trucking on normal or go back to my hard save.

You should try Lunatic mode! I'm on Birthright Lunatic personally and despite being my first Lunatic FE run I can't imagine why I never played the other FEs on high difficulty.

No there is definitely RNG for stats, had wildly different level ups on characters after resets.

At least on Lunatic Classic I've not seen any differences. Every time I reload a fight I notice that the stat gains are constant regardless of what I do. I think on harder difficulties the game chooses the level up RNG seed at a per-map basis so you cannot keep resetting to optimize your stats.

Hard Conquest is sorta kicking my ass. I'm not used to having to keep enemy skills in mind, and the new guard/attack stances are a bit much to keep track of. Hope I'll get the hang of it.

Also, fuck dying to a 1% crit chance. That is preposterous.

Really clever game though, and I'm liking the mechanics.

Pau

Can you repeat the challenges that appear on the maps? Missed one of the hidden item locations and I'm wondering if I'll get another chance.

yami4ct

The Excitable Bane is Magic Resist? Damn. That's what I get for not paying attention. Think I'm restarting my Corrin. The last thing I want is bad magic resist.

What Bane is the least painful? I'm thinking luck, but I'm honestly not sure. Thinking of subclassing Samurai, as I always adore Swordmaster style classes.

pelicansurf

The Excitable Bane is Magic Resist? Damn. That's what I get for not paying attention. Think I'm restarting my Corrin. The last thing I want is bad magic resist.

What Bane is the least painful? I'm thinking luck, but I'm honestly not sure. Thinking of subclassing Samurai, as I always adore Swordmaster style classes.
It's luck since really early on you get a permanent +4 to luck, which basically makes the bane null and void.

Rewind

Sweet! Thank you! Don't know why I was having so much trouble finding that!

You have to be careful with the bane stat because they can lower more than just the one stat. For example the magic bane will also lower the speed stat, at least that's what I was reading.

GSR

How many chapters each game have?

6 (or 5 depending on how you count the very prologue) shared chapters, then
standard ones and up to
sidequests if you get all the kids. Revelation has more sidequests because there are more kids to recruit, but they're reused from Birthright/Conquest. (And 6 of the sidequests are shared between Birthright/Conquest.)

scarlet

6 (or 5 depending on how you count the very prologue) shared chapters, then
standard ones and up to
sidequests if you get all the kids. Revelation has more sidequests because there are more kids to recruit, but they're reused from Birthright/Conquest. (And 6 of the sidequests are shared between Birthright/Conquest.)

Thank you.

On Chapter 15 now. Do a lot of scouting to pair my units so I can get children ASAP

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
You should try Lunatic mode! I'm on Birthright Lunatic personally and despite being my first Lunatic FE run I can't imagine why I never played the other FEs on high difficulty.
The difficulty curve in Lunatic actually makes sense this time around. For instance, in Awakening you spend all of the early game playing in a very specific way because 90% of your party gets ohko by most enemy units.

Branduil

I don't understand how it's even possible to win chapter 4 on Hard. Kaze and Rinkah are fucking worthless because they're so low-level. If I send them to attack they just die.

I don't understand how it's even possible to win chapter 4 on Hard. Kaze and Rinkah are fucking worthless because they're so low-level. If I send them to attack they just die.

Try pairing them together. They complement each other well.

I just beat chapter 6 on my Lunatic Hoshido run. Only 3 resets so far, and one of them was because I mis-clicked because I was going fast after reseting that chapter before. It's been very fair and not too hard so far, but I hear the difficulty ramps up later on. I'm kinda scared because I've been getting poor level ups. Haven't been able to play much since I've been playng SFV all day.

Dimmle

So, FE stories are really not much to write home about, but after getting to chapter six, it's pretty astounding how weird the writing is in this game. I'm not going to outright say it's bad, it's just all super rushed? Events seem to be happening with no build up at all, dialogue is extremely simple and brief... it's weird. It's even different than Awakening.

To have a story where you have to pick between two sides, why go this route? It's so easy to make two empathetic sides... but they chose not to do that.

I would call that bad storytelling, yeah.

The unimpressive story in conquest is making the gameplay fun and unique.

Also I don't like Corrin's character, he's worst then Robin and chrom to me.

Riozaki

Banned
Do I need to play Awakening to understand the story? Because I've never played any game of the series and I wonder if I can jump straight to Fate or play Awakening first.

After several hours into Conquest on Hard/Classic I'm floored by how refined and robust the core design of the game is, from the map mechanics and the new offensive/defensive pairing system to the weapon variety and unique skills. I'm constantly on alert for enemy skills in a way I never had to be until very late in Awakening. The AI seems better too; baiting tactics don't work the same way they did in old FE and Advance Wars games, as sometimes the enemy won't bite unless it has something to gain.

I'm therefore baffled to find that the UI is in several ways a step back. Inventory management isn't as smooth as it was in Awakening and requires more button presses to navigate for no discernible reason (I especially miss the Restock menu item, which still has worth when staves still have limited durability), while the apparent convenience of being able to pair up your units in the setup phase isn't nearly useful enough to justify the clunkiness it introduces to swapping your units around on the map. I miss being able to see base stat points separated from temporary bonuses at a glance without having to tap on my screen. With changes like these I don't even see the point of departing from what Awakening already did well, and the contrast with all the improvements across the board to the game mechanics themselves is stark indeed.

It also bothers me to no end that the English lyrics to the theme song don't scan properly (i.e. the syllable stress is out of alignment with the curvature of the melody, making the lyrics sound unnatural and forced, as if they weren't penned with the tune and the natural rhythm of the words in mind). I don't have issues with anything else in the localization like some other people do, but this bugs me.

Do I need to play Awakening to understand the story? Because I've never played any game of the series and I wonder if I can jump straight to Fate or play Awakening first.

This is a different game. There are some minor shout-outs and cameo characters to/from Awakening, but you'd probably be fine just picking up Fates.

Ugh, I'm on this map right now. Conquest's Hard is hard.

And I want to kill Arthur. His hit-rate is ATROCIOUS.

What's worse is that he gets a skill called Gamble which lowers his hit rate for a higher crit rate. I unequipped that the second I could because right now, I'd rather having a better chance to actually hit the damn enemy instead of MAYBE getting a crit. Gamble MIGHT be worth it later on in the game, but right now I wouldn't gamble on it.

Hugstable

Banned
Seriously can someone tell me how to beat chapter 5 on hard. I don't understand how it's even possible.

Use the Dragon to kill everyone, many of the units there can easily wreck you other units, so I just let them sit back. At least that's how I did it.

Renewed

Just draw them in, I took the ones on the left first. Made sure I could use Corrin to kill two enemy's a turn.

Also Felicia debuffs also help

This. I weakened them and when it seemed fine I used Azura to give Corrin another turn to help clear them out. Kaze+Rinkah pairup also did well when I was careful. I want to go back and see if I can do it without the pairup.

Xenoflare

After several hours into Conquest on Hard/Classic I'm floored by how refined and robust the core design of the game is, from the map mechanics and the new offensive/defensive pairing system to the weapon variety and unique skills. I'm constantly on alert for enemy skills in a way I never had to be until very late in Awakening. The AI seems better too; baiting tactics don't work the same way they did in old FE and Advance Wars games, as sometimes the enemy won't bite unless it has something to gain.

I'm therefore baffled to find that the UI is in several ways a step back. Inventory management isn't as smooth as it was in Awakening and requires more button presses to navigate for no discernible reason (I especially miss the Restock menu item, which still has worth when staves still have limited durability), while the apparent convenience of being able to pair up your units in the setup phase isn't nearly useful enough to justify the clunkiness it introduces to swapping your units around on the map. I miss being able to see base stat points separated from temporary bonuses at a glance without having to tap on my screen. With changes like these I don't even see the point of departing from what Awakening already did well, and the contrast with all the improvements across the board to the game mechanics themselves is stark indeed.

Yep I agree on the restock part. And I don't know if it's just me but I recall awakenings graphics a tad bit more vibrant than fates, first thing I noticed about the game is that it's a bit washed out

With that said the gameplay is a monumental step up from awakening. I'm playing Conquest and the game is far, far more tactical oriented than awakening

Branduil

Use the Dragon to kill everyone, many of the units there can easily wreck you other units, so I just let them sit back. At least that's how I did it.

The problem is that after taking out the first wave the other enemies just sit back until you get into their aggro zone and then they all gank you.

Just draw them in, I took the ones on the left first. Made sure I could use Corrin to kill two enemy's a turn.

Also Felicia debuffs also help

I don't have Felicia in this chapter?

It's silly that melee attackers when paired with a range attacker get to attack at range. Especially when the melee attacker then attacks through a wall because of it.

It's silly that melee attackers when paired with a range attacker get to attack at range. Especially when the melee attacker then attacks through a wall because of it.

It sillier when a Pegasus knight is carry someone in the sky or water and your able to attack with your levitating powers

Top Bottom